Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I've had not considered taking recommendations for good movies by scanning the novelty t-shirt section of my local Target. Thank you for the suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tezzor I asked you a straight forward question. Which you eschewed

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tezzora posted:

prequel fans are fairly vocal and act like they matter, but then you go to target and see that maybe 1 out of 300 star wars brand products has any relation to the prequels and it's usually darth maul

And Maul only because he's been in a current TV show for two seasons.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

I've had not considered taking recommendations for good movies by scanning the novelty t-shirt section of my local Target. Thank you for the suggestion.

well you might consider it because there's usually a lot of fun popular genre entertainment shirts there and very few of phantom menace or pluto nash

Tezzora fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 13, 2017

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
im sorry

euphronius posted:

Tezzor did you like malicks the new world ? I think that movie may have bothered you for some reason.

i havent seen it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tezzora posted:

im sorry

i havent seen it

:wtc:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

On second thought don't watch it .

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Jack Fisk's production design on The New World is excruciating in its authenticity. It is absolutely flawless. But still not quite as good as the level of craft that went into 1999's The Phantom Menace

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

Jack Fisk's production design on The New World is excruciating in its authenticity. It is absolutely flawless. But still not quite as good as the level of craft that went into 1999's The Phantom Menace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkN226PToig

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

euphronius posted:

Physics could just be different in that universe

Or smoke black magiced it.

It's a hyperspace weapon, which somehow extends to its targets.

I figured this out while wondering why the explosions were visible at interstellar distances while watching the movie, and it turns out this is also the official explanation.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tezzora posted:

the pod race is probably the best part of the phantom menace, but the chase through the city was the best part of godzilla 2000. neither of them are sufficient to make the films good. the pod race has some good directing, some good editing, some very good sound design. it's still a contrived 80s movie premise about winning the big ski race to save the youth center, involving an 8 year old darth vader whittled out of wood, who can't die or lose, gritting his teeth for 20 minutes starting with a camel fart as he defeats market-driven terrible-looking videogame characters until the one who has the villain moustache yells "poodoo" and the futurama announcer does the ikky shuffle, except more baffling than that sounds

The pod race is ripped directly from Ben Hur. Of course it's good.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I used to think The Godfather was pretty good. But then I went to Walmart and they didn't have any Godfather toys. Godfather is a bad movie now.

Edit: There's no Ben-Hur toys at Target. Bad movie.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

I used to think The Godfather was pretty good. But then I went to Walmart and they didn't have any Godfather toys. Godfather is a bad movie now.

When someone says a negative thing about the prequels how long do you cry? On average?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

When someone says a negative thing about the prequels how long do you cry? On average?

You're taking this a hell of a lot more personally than anyone else.

Except Tezzor, I guess.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Yaws posted:

We are linked by destiny; I shed one tear for each which you shed when someone says a positive thing about the prequels.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

i actually see roughly the amount of Godfather merchandise at Target as i do Attack of the Clones merchandise, probably slightly moreso, despite the fact that one is a serious movie from the 1970s about capitalism and hubris, and the other is an action blockbuster from the 2000s about selling merchandise

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tezzora posted:

i actually see roughly the amount of Godfather merchandise at Target as i do Attack of the Clones merchandise, probably slightly moreso, despite the fact that one is a serious movie from the 1970s about capitalism and hubris, and the other is an action blockbuster from the 2000s about selling merchandise

So Attack of the Clones and The Godfather are equally good?

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
to be clear, the fact that there is no prequel merchandise to be found in the normie store does not inherently mean that the prequels are bad, nor does the amount of merchandise speak to a film's quality in general. it does however mean that this lie you are telling yourself about how the films are popular and marketable and you are not alone in the woods yelling about the depth of the robot's rights story that lucas was secretly trying to tell us is just that, a lie. however, i freely admit that there may be a slight renaissance in prequel merch when disney realizes they can sell tshirts with screengrabs of r/prequelmemes content and other such quasi-ironic stuff on them

Tezzora fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 13, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Postulating some relationship between merchandise on display and box office returns, or critical acclaim, has indeed been one of the weirdest goddamn memes in movie discussion over the past year.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Postulating some relationship between merchandise on display and box office returns, or critical acclaim, has indeed been one of the weirdest goddamn memes in movie discussion over the past year.

for my money i thought it was how you all continue to allow supermechagodzilla to post without beating him half to death with towels full of soap every time he tries to argue that Get Out is about illegal immigration or whatever the gently caress

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Tezzora posted:

to be clear, the fact that there is no prequel merchandise to be found in the normie store does not inherently mean that the prequels are bad, nor does the amount of merchandise speak to a film's quality in general. it does however mean that this lie you are telling yourself about how the films are popular and marketable and you are not alone in the woods yelling about the depth of the robot's rights story that lucas was secretly trying to tell us is just that, a lie. however, i freely admit that there may be a slight renaissance in prequel merch when disney realizes they can sell tshirts with screengrabs of r/prequelmemes content and other such quasi-ironic stuff on them

in the end, we are all alone, yelling into the woods

"Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law" I scream. An owl tilts its head in curiosity, then suddenly bursts into action. It seizes and devours a squirrel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm ready for Star Wars: Kylo's Counter-Attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9LQhyBYSeg

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm ready for Star Wars: Kylo's Counter-Attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9LQhyBYSeg
Rey could have been like a mother to Kylo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzora posted:

New lines of prequel merchandise are factually being created and sold in normie stores.

Here's an Obi-wan and Commander Cody 2-pack with a frankly bizarre looking toy gun.
There's also a Anakin and Yoda 2-pack, with the same toy gun.

You are correct that the amount of merchandise does not speak to a film's quality, but that it can speak to how popular and marketable they are.

Given that they are still producing childrens toys of the films some 15 years on, they are evidently quite popular and marketable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You think a movie being unpopular is gonna make me stop defending it?

You don't know me very well.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

New lines of prequel merchandise are factually being created and sold in normie stores.

Here's an Obi-wan and Commander Cody 2-pack with a frankly bizarre looking toy gun.
There's also a Anakin and Yoda 2-pack, with the same toy gun.

You are correct that the amount of merchandise does not speak to a film's quality, but that it can speak to how popular and marketable they are.

Given that they are still producing childrens toys of the films some 15 years on, they are evidently quite popular and marketable.

oh cool they are producing two toys in the prequel line that's meaningful *uses my bb8 left handed hypoallergenic scissors to open a boba fett brand heavy flow medicated tampon and stuff it up myself*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzora posted:

oh cool they are producing two toys in the prequel line that's meaningful *uses my bb8 left handed hypoallergenic scissors to open a boba fett brand heavy flow medicated tampon and stuff it up myself*

That's what I found in maybe five minutes of searching the Hasbro website.

But yeah, it's really something that they are still selling toys of a fifteen year old movie.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

That's what I found in maybe five minutes of searching the Hasbro website.

But yeah, it's really something that they are still selling toys of a fifteen year old movie.

All it demonstrates its that there is a niche market of weird obsessives, which was never in doubt

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think that the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango on Kamino may be a Kurosawa riff. A climax of sorts, but another one that blurs the conflict between two pawns in a larger and futile struggle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzora posted:

All it demonstrates its that there is a niche market of weird obsessives, which was never in doubt

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

homullus posted:

I think that the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango on Kamino may be a Kurosawa riff. A climax of sorts, but another one that blurs the conflict between two pawns in a larger and futile struggle.

Personally I think it's some Bullshit where obi wan mostly forgets his powers except when convenient such as when turning into a cartoon and executing a flying Liu Kang kick

Tezzora fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 13, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The Obi-Wan and Jango fight has cool similarities to the huge battle later on. Both take place in circular "arenas" and have clones swoop in with gunships.

Edit: Jar-Jar toys are still being sold. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Hero-Mashers-Episode-I-Jar-Jar-Binks/46620227

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The battle is also a part of Obi Wan's detective story. It's the part where the gumshoe gets beaten up because he's sniffing too close.

The movie is also showing the Jedi as more fallible and vulnerable- Jango kills one just by shooting him a bunch. It fits with the arc of deconstruction.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

They make toys for loving everything nowadays. Who cares? You see the garbage they put in those lootcrate things?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah but it's kind of hosed up that they make toys of robot slaves.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0G-G24ZFm8

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah but it's kind of hosed up that they make toys of robot slaves.

Here's the thing..

...robots aren't people so they can't be slaves :flip:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
On the contrary, it's their personhood that makes them uniquely suited for chattel life. They are too useful. They were made to suffer. It's their lot in life.

Do you think Lucas included a slave auction in the first fifteen minutes of the movie because it would be cute and funny?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 13, 2017

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
star wars robots are a lot like slaves but with two key differences: slaves exist and matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think people would have liked AotC better if Anakin and Padmes wedding was Steampunk themed.

• Locked thread