Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My brother used to brag about how his Saab had a turbo in it, he didn't quite understand that they give you a smaller engine with a turbo to compensate and having a turbo itself doesn't really mean anything except it's another thing that can fail.

NA supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Popete posted:

My brother used to brag about how his Saab had a turbo in it, he didn't quite understand that they give you a smaller engine with a turbo to compensate and having a turbo itself doesn't really mean anything except it's another thing that can fail.

NA supremacy.

Except a small motor'd car with a turbo responds quickly, easily and cheaply to upping the boost and making a ton of power. Try to make 25-50% more power for a couple hundred bucks with an NA motor.

Edit: Neverminding the fuel savings and the delicious, delicious feel of boost spool.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The fuel savings is the main draw in my mind, but usually when someone brags about their turbo it's not from a fuel savings view.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Turbos sound cool & the word “turbo” itself sounds cool so idk what there even is to talk about

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Supercharger sounds cooler imho

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Except a small motor'd car with a turbo responds quickly, easily and cheaply to upping the boost and making a ton of power. Try to make 25-50% more power for a couple hundred bucks with an NA motor.

Edit: Neverminding the fuel savings and the delicious, delicious feel of boost spool.

You can do the 3 stage intake mod, plus a 330 tune for $1-2k, depending on your luck with finding used parts. It bumps it to ~255hp, which is an 8-10% boost. It's not a bad way to spend money on an N52, but it's certainly not as cheap as adjusting a turbo.

The supercharger options for an N52 were about $5k last I looked, and you have to be careful about the boost amount, given the alloy block not being designed for it like an N54/N55.

Edit: Bad at numbers.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 24, 2018

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Alarbus posted:

You can do the 3 stage intake mod, plus a 330 tune for $1-2k, depending on your luck with finding used parts. It bumps it to ~355hp, which is an 8-10% boost. It's not a bad way to spend money on an N52, but it's certainly not as cheap as adjusting a turbo.

The supercharger options for an N52 were about $5k last I looked, and you have to be careful about the boost amount, given the alloy block not being designed for it like an N54/N55.

Do you mean 255hp?

You can spend like <$200 to get around 35% more out of an N54/N55 and the reliability is still good.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
superchargers are dead, except in cases where ease of install or classing constraints are the primary consideration

modern properly competitive turbo systems are not like the compromised systems in road cars that are laggy or fall off hard up top

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Do you mean 255hp?

You can spend like <$200 to get around 35% more out of an N54/N55 and the reliability is still good.

... Yes. Yes I do mean 255hp.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Popete posted:

The fuel savings is the main draw in my mind, but usually when someone brags about their turbo it's not from a fuel savings view.

The fuel saving is borrowed though. Extremely downsized turbo engines have to run ludicrous enrichment to prevent frying the turbine or knocking a hole into the piston, so the efficiency at mid to high power demand can decline below NA levels (and more recently does so regularly)

The eco turbo engine is only eco when you drive it so carefully that you could have bought a smaller engine altogether.

Hell I'll sign that NA for life list.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Right, and at least I'm looking for N52's, as opposed to the N51 SULEV with its associated problems. I wouldn't mind the extra power of the 335, but yeah, coming from an Audi with two turbos, NA seems like a slightly safer choice.

e: why does this have to be an automatic :gonk: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/boston-2008-bmw-335xi-18-miles/6772129691.html

This post means that you're looking for cars roughly in the same market as me.

stay away from my lovely used bmws, kotex! :arghfist:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Turbo sounds like an Australian term for jerking off imo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pre-LCI e90/91/92 are all so bad and dated looking lmao

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

When the first diesels with <125.000 km drop below 4000 € I'll get myself one. Common dieselgate I know you can do it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BraveUlysses posted:

pre-LCI e90/91/92 are all so bad and dated looking lmao

I can't stand the "moustache". The post LCIs are damned good looking though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Combat Theory posted:

When the first diesels with <125.000 km drop below 4000 € I'll get myself one. Common dieselgate I know you can do it.

they don't even get very good gas mileage

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

they don't even get very good gas mileage

The e90 335d has gobs of ridiculously accessible power and it rules, though. I finally got to drive one a couple of weeks ago and it almost made me want to ditch the idea of holding out for a stick.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I owned one, it was a nightmare

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

That's actually kind of sad. I loved the one I drove.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

pre-LCI e90/91
:hai:
:wrong:

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Got myself an e46

I am stoked but also scared to death it will be an endless sink of money

So yay?

Edit: a 316. I am excited and I want to learn to nourish and maintain it and grow old with it together

It will probably die on me in 2 years

Martin BadClixx fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 27, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tremek posted:

Fair enough, you have experience there that I don't. Think it's still worth it?

Sure just increase your financial expectations and be pleasantly surprised if they aren’t met.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't even know they made numbers that low.

Why would you put up with BMW headaches for 100hp. that's like buying a BMW mini

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

All the pain, none of the pleasure

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I wish you all the best with your new car, but yeah next time if it's gotta be a 4 cylinder, at least opt for a DOHC one.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
It drives really smooth and wasn't expensive

Baby's first BMW I guess.

I assume ur talking about the HP of the 316i

Edit: also the reviews for the car seem pretty good. Perhaps I should have asked here first? I am still happy with it so far

2nd edit: the engine is a dohc one. Anyways I have no idea what I am talking about yet so I'll be lurking and absorbing knowledge

Martin BadClixx fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 27, 2018

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Why would you put up with BMW headaches for 100hp.

:smith:
Tbf I weigh a good bit less than an e46 tho.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Are there actually any headaches with those cars? My understanding from talking to Euro BMW people has always been that the 4 cylinder engines are like drop dead reliable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I wish I was smoothbrained enough to think that there's a single reliable BMW engine

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I dunno what to say, dude.

Cost of ownership over the better part of a decade for my two 330s averaged out to around $700/year and a whole lot less if you drop consumables like tires and brakes. I'm pretty sure the only unplanned maintenance I ever had to deal with on either car was an exhaust leak. I can't imagine an absolutely base model E46 is going to be pricier to maintain, even if it's ancient.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

Are there actually any headaches with those cars? My understanding from talking to Euro BMW people has always been that the 4 cylinder engines are like drop dead reliable.

Depends on the model. The chain driven ones are solid. Every bmw with a synchro belt is dubious by nature.

In general they are not superior to their DOHC equivalents in reliability so there hardly is a reason apart from price to go for them. They also in some cases have issues with camshafts burning up like the old M20s did. But that's seldom and usually combined with shoddy service histories (this does happen a lot more with the cheap models. Cheap buyers make for cheap owners at least with these engines)

There are very reliable bmw engines. The M50B25 I have is a good example (pre VANOS) at its current yearly mileage it will likely outlive me before I even have to do oversize pistons. The whole M50 and S50 Derivates are very solid, leaving aside the US market where people are fueling sulphur pested gasoline that eats away NIKASIL.

Also many people tend to forget the mechanical insanity that is the bmw Sxx engines. The piston speed in the last NA 6 cylinders was so high we considered it out of the construction limit for road going vehicles. The only other cars that achieved this were the Honda S2000 and lately the 2017 5.2L V10 made by Audi.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On that topic, Honda has five motors (not including the sub-models) that are all about the same or higher than the S54 in terms of piston speed. B18 in the ITR / GSR, F20C in the S2000, K20 in the RSX-S / Type-R, K24 in the TSX, and the H22 in the Prelude

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The F20 was the only one they dared sending onto the Autobahn though and for a good reason.

Proofing the engine for high speed sprints is a different matter than proofing it to run at those speeds 24/7, which an s54 will.

I'm mad for Hondas VTEC NAs, but when they opted to slow down the F20 and add 200 extra ccm, they kinda admitted they went too far too quickly for this market.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lolwut, the F20C survives perfectly fine well over 200k. I have 175k on mine with over 100 track days on it between the previous owner and I. The extra displacement was added as part of the tone-down process for the US market.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I can just say what I saw over here and there simply are not many S2000s left. Within Germany and the surrounding countries there are currently 35 S2000s listed in total for sale (including totaled vehicles and not in driving condition)

They are highly desired pieces of sports car history here too, but like many of the japanese masterpieces that I adore they did not take too kindly to traveling an entire nation at the Rev limiter apparently.

(in comparison, the Nissan Skyline that was never sold here even in a single instance by Nissan, currently lists twice as many entries without including damaged vehicles)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 28, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Combat Theory posted:

I can just say what I saw over here and there simply are not many S2000s left. Within Germany and the surrounding countries there are currently 35 S2000s listed in total for sale (including totaled vehicles and not in driving condition)

They are highly desired pieces of sports car history here too, but like many of the japanese masterpieces that I adore they did not take too kindly to traveling an entire nation at the Rev limiter apparently.

(in comparison, the Nissan Skyline that was never sold here even in a single instance by Nissan, currently lists twice as many entries without including damaged vehicles)

That is kind of a weird way to draw a conclusion that they don't hold up, guess things are different across the ocean.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 28, 2018

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

There's a bit of a sailors tale in there too because many non European manufacturers burned their hands on the German market with cars succumbing to our motorways.

My personal saddest point was the 200SX S13 Era with Nissans. I absolutely loved the car. But for whatever reason nissan decided to throw the creepy CA18DET into their German market 200sx models and there was hardly one of them making it to 100k km on the original engine. It was so bad that my father who was an engine builder at the local Nissan shop stockpiled CA18s at the dealership fully assembled.

Not only did it ruin a perfectly good flip up headlights coupe, but no one bought the S14 with the SR20DET afterwards and the S15 wasn't even sold here.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

This post means that you're looking for cars roughly in the same market as me.

stay away from my lovely used bmws, kotex! :arghfist:
Man I literally just missed out on the perfect 328xi, was that you, you bastard, give me my car

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone know about the issues with potholes reported on the e9x? Is it just the RFTs, or a deeper design flaw? (I have no interest in driving on the RFTs, gently caress that poo poo.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I had a xenon headlight break when I hit a really bad pothole on I-76. Thanks Penndot. The dealer at that time was still an independent that cared about service, and they got it covered by BMW under CPO warranty. Otherwise, just dented a bunch of rims, didn't really make a difference with regular or runflat to be honest.

The runflats will make it sound like you're bottoming out hard enough to break something, but other than the one headlight, no other pothole specific issues across my two and my Dad's one.