Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'm looking for the silver lining here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you aren't rooting for iran

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Just piping in to laugh at SunAndSpring for being a sad dumbass

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Probably going to relisten to their episode with the War Nerd that gets summed up with "Iran is going to win."

Also coming into say that I have enjoyed Matt's Stav impersonation over the last few episodes.

"loving OWNED"

"THIS loving SUCKS"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

OxySnake posted:

Probably going to relisten to their episode with the War Nerd that gets summed up with "Iran is going to win."

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Are we all going to die? Wasn’t there a War Nerd episode where he spent like 20 minutes explaining exactly the ways Iran could gently caress our poo poo up if it came to it?

I’m an Iraq veteran and this is unsettling.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

F

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

red19fire posted:

Are we all going to die? Wasn’t there a War Nerd episode where he spent like 20 minutes explaining exactly the ways Iran could gently caress our poo poo up if it came to it?

Dunno. I'm ready for the fall of the American Empire personally, though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

SlimGoodbody posted:

Just piping in to laugh at SunAndSpring for being a sad dumbass

Come on, dear, do better than this.

Again, I've gotten much worse for annoying fan boys in this thread because I made fun of their parasocial relationship, you can aim much higher.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 3, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

red19fire posted:

It's Saudi Arabia that's hosed if they go that route. More likely (fingers crossed) they'll just kill someone from our camp in response (no idea who). They kidnapped, tortured and killed a high ranking CIA official in the Lebanon war.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

Again, I've gotten much worse for annoying fan boys in this thread because I made fun of their parasocial relationship, you can aim much higher.

Yeah I also agree that everyone wishes you'd stop posting

Anyway this Iran poo poo sucks and I hate that it's happening

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah I also agree that everyone wishes you'd stop posting

turn on your monitor

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I am the posting made manifest, fear me

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

BBJoey posted:

Except for all the bad bits, Snow Crash was good. Then he made every single one of the rest of his books solely out of bad bits.

Does that mean the rest of Stephenson books read like the info dump chapters where Hiro is talking to the Librarian and are filled with vapid waste space charcters like YT?

In my opinion Snow Crash would be a much better book if YT was cut completely and that tedious middle part with the librarian was condensed to 10 pages. The more I think about the middle 100 or so pages of Snow Crash have are mostly fat that can be trimmed with out loosing much.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

red19fire posted:

Stringent posted:

It's Saudi Arabia that's hosed if they go that route. More likely (fingers crossed) they'll just kill someone from our camp in response (no idea who). They kidnapped, tortured and killed a high ranking CIA official in the Lebanon war.

I think the points he made were, overall the US would probably be fine. Iran cant attack us directly, and with most of our oil coming from Canada (40%) vs Saudi Arabia (11%) it would be difficult but we could continue on as is probably.

Saudi Arabia's oil production and even worse their water desalinization would be crippled and its possible large amounts of people could die of thirst.

The other big thing is most of asia gets their oil from Saudi Arabia, so while we would continue on, the economies of Korea, China, Japan, etc etc would slam to a halt.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

sleeptalker posted:

"Post-9/11" is the best description of it all I can think of, hopefully it doesn't continue to be descriptive of the 20s.

gently caress's sakes why did I have to post this.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

It's just cool you are doing exactly what she described in her video. Blowing up a 10 sec John Waters quote reading into "she had him on her show!!!". Internet telephone when you want to attack someone is pretty wild.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

OxySnake posted:

Also coming into say that I have enjoyed Matt's Stav impersonation over the last few episodes.

"loving OWNED"

"THIS loving SUCKS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZmLgB5cWdc

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1213082129397092353

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 3, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just started listening to the new backer episode. Cool how it’s already dated as of last night.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dr Christmas posted:

I just started listening to the new backer episode. Cool how it’s already dated as of last night.

"The new roaring twenties. And i gotta say it started off with a bang" - Will

Didn't even know how right he was.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Stringent posted:

William F. Buckley (no relation)

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol trump literally pwns a Quds force chud on the tarmac. Sometimes you get bad RNG Soleimani!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SunAndSpring posted:

this is like the online lefty version of that stupid poo poo all those ellen fans tried to do to justify her hanging out with george bush, i swear to god
Come on, dear, you can do better than this.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rainbow Knight posted:

She claims that "having the trans equivalent of uncle ruckus on her show" was a 10 sec clip of him reading a John Waters quote because he can do a good impression of him and that was it. If that's true it's definitely not the same as Ellen chilling with George Bush

I mean, sure, but if this guy is known to be such an rear end in a top hat, maybe the ideal choice would be to... not do that? I mean, I'm not saying this was the most unforgivably vile thing you could do, but it's still not great.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I mean, sure, but if this guy is known to be such an rear end in a top hat, maybe the ideal choice would be to... not do that? I mean, I'm not saying this was the most unforgivably vile thing you could do, but it's still not great.

theres about 40 minutes of the video tahts just her going through all these incidents and admitting she hosed up. dunno if itll work but its an interesting tactic

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 3, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Her video also had some anime avatar calling her Hitler which is well represented in this thread by "well, she's pretty much platformed a war criminal if you think about it"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

No one among us is without sin, we can either acknowledge and accept our occasional failings and eccentricities or get weird about it. Honestly I think the total lack of tolerance for anyone having heterodox positions on *anything* inside intersectionality twitter is extremely self-defeating and ultimately untenable, it's alienating, exhausting and entirely counter-productive to building genuine solidarity between people.

In Contra's case specifically I think we should be treating the people really going all in on it (calling her a TERF, demanding denunciations from her friends and associates) with much more skepticism, they're not reasonable conclusions to draw from the events that led to them and its hard not to see the people doing it as getting off on the moral outrage.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

multijoe posted:

No one among us is without sin, we can either acknowledge and accept our occasional failings and eccentricities or get weird about it. Honestly I think the total lack of tolerance for anyone having heterodox positions on *anything* inside intersectionality twitter is extremely self-defeating and ultimately untenable, it's alienating, exhausting and entirely counter-productive to building genuine solidarity between people.

In Contra's case specifically I think we should be treating the people really going all in on it (calling her a TERF, demanding denunciations from her friends and associates) with much more skepticism, they're not reasonable conclusions to draw from the events that led to them and its hard not to see the people doing it as getting off on the moral outrage.

Amber has alluded to this very carefully in a couple places but it's also inconsistent with solidarity. Any movement should absolutely be representative, tolerant, inclusive, and intersectional, but rigid intolerance such that ANY diversion from that inexorably leads to excommunication makes organizing pretty difficult

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's maybe a little different when the person is positioning themselves as a leading voice in explaining modern gender politics to an audience. She's not a confused union organizer or climate activist. If she keeps loving up non-binary stuff then it's not that weird for people to think maybe she's not right as the face of the "movement" on YouTube. If she was just dunking on the alt-right, explaining fringe movements or doing more videos making GBS threads on Peterson's writing it wouldn't matter as much.

And to be clear, people weren't mad just because of the cameo. It was months of little issues, repeated mistakes and Natalie developing an edgelord streak that finally boiled over, and here we are. There's also the whole thing where Natalie wasn't really a leftist politically until relatively recently, so some people are on guard that she's going to run back to being a both-siders. People probably shouldn't stress so much over their YouTubers' personal lives, but people also tend to focus on the things that they can affect. Not really sure how to deal with the concept of Twitter being poo poo.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 3, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1213174669660086272
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1213176609831866370

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

terrorist ambulance posted:

Her video also had some anime avatar calling her Hitler which is well represented in this thread by "well, she's pretty much platformed a war criminal if you think about it"

stop making poo poo up to argue your point, just quote the post and argue against that please

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It is weird to go from me calling her a dumb gently caress and getting bored with the narrative that somehow rampant cancellation on a lovely social media site for morons is what hurts the left and not all the structural impediments and lack of organization to pretending that I said she was a war criminal and also imagining that I've got an anime avatar right above my cherished Hobocops tag. I just think she's a bumbling idiot not very good at what she does, I hate her skits because I don't want to see someone dress up like a Nazi or a Victorian noble or whatever and do a funny accent, and in general I find her a colossal waste of time. I don't consider it necessary to close ranks and save every bumbling dumb gently caress on the left from their own unenforced errors.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

You seem mad

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah I'm in agreement with that, but in addition I believe her when she says that she had a different but still malleable understanding and that it speaks to the whole leftist moment that many of the loudest voices say things that run smack into the ideas of things like understanding mental health and prison reform. Both issues are based on the idea that people see the the world through a unique lens and make decisions based on their own perception and experiences. Contra made a choice based on her view and it was flawed, and critiquing it isn't wrong, but "cancelling" her and saying she's a horrible person is way too far imo

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's maybe a little different when the person is positioning themselves as a leading voice in explaining modern gender politics to an audience. She's not a confused union organizer or climate activist. If she keeps loving up non-binary stuff then it's not that weird for people to think maybe she's not right as the face of the "movement" on YouTube. If she was just dunking on the alt-right, explaining fringe movements or doing more videos making GBS threads on Peterson's writing it wouldn't matter as much.

And to be clear, people weren't mad just because of the cameo. It was months of little issues, repeated mistakes and Natalie developing an edgelord streak that finally boiled over, and here we are. There's also the whole thing where Natalie wasn't really a leftist politically until relatively recently, so some people are on guard that she's going to run back to being a both-siders. People probably shouldn't stress so much over their YouTubers' personal lives, but people also tend to focus on the things that they can affect. Not really sure how to deal with the concept of Twitter being poo poo.

I mean the thing is she's not positioning herself as anything other than a person with an opinion. People looking to her for guidance are the ones in the wrong, and that goes for everyone who feels like they need a hero in their life to worship. Obama. Trump. It's how you get people who refuse to accept that their chosen champion is just as likely to gently caress up as they are, or people who get disproportionately angry when someone makes a mistake whether minor or major.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
At the time this was happening, she was being boosted by some big interviews and features that were trying to set her up as the face of the LGBT left. Not really her fault, but getting mainstream attention draws...well more attention. Not to say there's not still some unhealthy fandom.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Let's keep talking about this, it is good and contributes positively to the world

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

T-man posted:

Let's keep talking about this, it is good and contributes positively to the world

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Can we talk about something else? Like future war with Iran or Adam Friedland's sex life?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Can we talk about something else? Like future war with Iran or Adam Friedland's sex life?
I was skimming through a Discord channel earlier where someone lamented this thread not understanding why people dislike ContraPoints.

Now I was sympathetic to that opinion until I skimmed the chat for most of today and I realised that this channel spent far more time today discussing the recent ContraPoints video, than the US assassinating a major public figure in the Middle East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lmao Netflix is literally making Hillbilly Elegy: The Movie