Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

*If* it's X-Wing, my money's on a co-op campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ConfusedUs posted:

*If* it's X-Wing, my money's on a co-op campaign.

I'm really annoyed that Armada and Android: Netrunner of all things have gotten campaign expansions (even if Netrunner's isn't really worthy of the name) and X-Wing hasn't. It doesn't really seem like the sort of thing that'd require the Disney Veil of Secrecy, though.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

enigmahfc posted:

It's going to be something for Destiny, like a 2 player starter pack. Nothing X-Wing related. Calling it.

gently caress CCGs

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

A starter box with all Jumpmasters.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Raged posted:

gently caress CCGs

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

T-85 and two Yuuzhan Vong ships.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

T-85 and two Yuuzhan Vong ships.

I will cut you

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

I will cut you

Fine, fine.

THREE VONGSHIPS

CHEWIE REMOVED FROM THE GAME

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I want space manta rays and huge droid spheres from the Lando Calrissian trilogy. Crew Vuffi Raa, crew Rokur Gepta.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It's the Sun Crusher.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

enigmahfc posted:

It's the Sun Crusher.

When did they add your mom to the EU?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Nah. It's rhe moffship with special team option Mofference

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ewok Glider

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
A T-65, two TIEs and three Ssi-Ruuvi droid ships with special three player rules.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

When did they add your mom to the EU?

She's definitely part of the old EU then, because to those dock side bars, she's considered legend.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 26, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Might be the moon that landed on Chewie and killed him in the EU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm pretty drat sure it's another core set. Looking at release dates and The TFA core set was released on Sept 4 2015 which was the first Force Friday. FFG announced it the day before it launched.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Raged posted:

I'm pretty drat sure it's another core set. Looking at release dates and The TFA core set was released on Sept 4 2015 which was the first Force Friday. FFG announced it the day before it launched.

Uhhh, we all knew exactly what it was like two weeks before it released. There were leaks, and I personally had a copy in-hand as early as August 20 (because I worked in the backroom at Target).

This is not being handled nearly the same.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why would we need another core set. People dont want to buy a 3rd core with 90% poo poo they dont need. Remember the bitching last time? If its going to be new ships theyll just sell them as stand alone single packs.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Talked to my flgs owner and she says there is nothing coming in, but guns for hire the week or two after.

That probably means it is Destiny since no one at my shop plays it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

canyoneer posted:

Ewok Glider

I am giggling at the thought of a small teddy bear with a patchy leather glider flying through space, screaming as he's frantically dodging TIE lasers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If Legion doesn't release an Ewok Warriors expack then what's even the point of that game.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I lust for ewok death.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Hey recently picked this up, play in a shop with about 4-5 other regulars and some local tournies. I got the Force Awakens Core, Heroes of the Resistance, and an ARC-170 (I used in in a demo game and like how it played). I'm trying real hard not to go buy more poo poo for a bit, but I'm bad at building lists and my brain wants go go get more stuff so I can have perfect synergy dream builds.

Basically, can you suggest a few decent lists with those packs I can mess with, so I'm not tempted to buy another half dozen ships asap?

Also, is there anyway for me to counter Ion cannons? I got wrecked by a guy flying an ion heavy build and it was super frustrating.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You can build out a good Norra/Rey list with that. If you're willing to proxy stuff that opens a lot for you.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Yeah I know, but assuming no proxies? That's kinda up to the guys at the table.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Wapole Languray posted:

I have never seen anyone complain about proxies in casual games. It's only at tournaments that it is required.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If they care about proxies at a casual game night, gently caress 'em.

On another note, I've decided that big, beefy ships is the answer to much of the meta right now. Today I flew the two beefiest ships I could find: Rey and a Lothal Rebel. I had really, really good luck with this.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...n=ReyRebel&obs=

For Rey: Point her at the enemy, slow roll (as much as you can with a large base), evade every round. After the joust, K-turn and repeat. If you need distance or take heavy fire, burnout SLAM to reset. With 13HP, ability, Finn, evade, and 3PO, she's tanky as gently caress. Very hard to kill 1on1. Evade + 3PO title saves you more damage than sloop title, easily. Both proc every round, where sloop title might only occur 2-4 times in a game; and even then it's just a re-roll, not a guaranteed evade.

For the Lothal Rebel: Point it at the enemy. Once you're in the fight, pretend it's the world's fattest TIE Defender and just K-turn every round.

If they target the Rebel, odds are good you can whittle their list down to the point Rey is all but untouchable. If they target Rey, GTFO with her when she gets to about half health so the enemy has to switch targets.

Against a Dengar/Nym I lost the rebel, but Rey wasn't even below half at the end of the game.

Against brobots (crackshot/glitterstim) I had to GTFO with Rey (she got to half) but the Rebel never died. It spent the game K-turning behind the bots every round.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wapole Languray posted:

Unfortunately, the really good ARC builds require cards from a handful of other expansions.

You really want Push the Limit and probably Engine Upgrade and R2-D2 and that's three completely different expansions right there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

And kyle crew

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I like Kyle a lot more with BB-8 than R2, but that's definitely true.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

If they care about proxies at a casual game night, gently caress 'em.

On another note, I've decided that big, beefy ships is the answer to much of the meta right now. Today I flew the two beefiest ships I could find: Rey and a Lothal Rebel. I had really, really good luck with this.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...n=ReyRebel&obs=

For Rey: Point her at the enemy, slow roll (as much as you can with a large base), evade every round. After the joust, K-turn and repeat. If you need distance or take heavy fire, burnout SLAM to reset. With 13HP, ability, Finn, evade, and 3PO, she's tanky as gently caress. Very hard to kill 1on1. Evade + 3PO title saves you more damage than sloop title, easily. Both proc every round, where sloop title might only occur 2-4 times in a game; and even then it's just a re-roll, not a guaranteed evade.

For the Lothal Rebel: Point it at the enemy. Once you're in the fight, pretend it's the world's fattest TIE Defender and just K-turn every round.

If they target the Rebel, odds are good you can whittle their list down to the point Rey is all but untouchable. If they target Rey, GTFO with her when she gets to about half health so the enemy has to switch targets.

Against a Dengar/Nym I lost the rebel, but Rey wasn't even below half at the end of the game.

Against brobots (crackshot/glitterstim) I had to GTFO with Rey (she got to half) but the Rebel never died. It spent the game K-turning behind the bots every round.

These are my two favorite ships in the game (with The YT-2400 a close 3rd) and have been trying to find a list to fit both of them in. I never through of dropping Kanan/Sloop title for the old title 3PO. What you say makes sense. I would use the new title/Kanan maybe once or twice a game (most good players can see it coming). Going for a tankier Rey is good thinking. I can't wait to try it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Just pretend it's red arm 3P0 that Leia lent to Rey

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just pretend it's red arm 3P0 that Leia lent bequeathed to Rey

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Some Numbers posted:

Unfortunately, the really good ARC builds require cards from a handful of other expansions.

You really want Push the Limit and probably Engine Upgrade and R2-D2 and that's three completely different expansions right there.

Or R5-P9 (Rebel Transport), Kyle Katarn (Rebel Aces), Kanan Jarrus (Ghost), Expertise (U-Wing), or Weapons Engineer (Millennium Falcon).

At least one of the nice things about Rebels is that (most) of the upgrades you'll want are in-faction, so you won't have to worry too often about having to buy ships you'll never use just for the cards. Plus, if you start playing competitively, you can get a lot of otherwise unavailable cards as alt-art prizes, many of which you can get just for showing up.

What's great about Heroes of the Resistance in particular though is that you do get a ton of good stuff right in the box. Based on what you have, you could try to run something along the lines of:

quote:

Rey (56)
YT-1300 (45), Trick Shot (0), Finn (5), Hotshot Co-pilot (4), Millennium Falcon (Segnor's Loop Version) (1), Smuggling Compartment (0), Burnout Slam (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Shara Bey (39)
ARC-170 (28), M9-G8 (3), Seismic Torpedo (2), Snap Shot (2), Tail Gunner (2), Alliance Overhaul (0), Vectored Thrusters (2)

Or

quote:

Rey (56)
YT-1300 (45), Trick Shot (0), Finn (5), Hotshot Co-pilot (4), Millennium Falcon (Segnor's Loop Version) (1), Smuggling Compartment (0), Burnout Slam (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Poe Dameron (PS9 Version) (40)
T-70 X-Wing (33), Black One (1), R3 Astromech (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Snap Shot (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Certainly not going to be winning any tournaments with those builds, but for a casual game you could do worse.

Also Wapole, you may be interested in this article, where an X-Wing champ talks about the best lists you could potentially build for ~$101, and settles on HotR, the original Core, and a K-Wing. You've already got Heroes of the Resistance, so picking up a K-Wing or an original Core set shouldn't put you back too much, and it'll open up a lot of options for future lists.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 27, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

These are my two favorite ships in the game (with The YT-2400 a close 3rd) and have been trying to find a list to fit both of them in. I never through of dropping Kanan/Sloop title for the old title 3PO. What you say makes sense. I would use the new title/Kanan maybe once or twice a game (most good players can see it coming). Going for a tankier Rey is good thinking. I can't wait to try it.

The Finn/Kanan/Sloop build has its place. It hits like a big truck, can kinda/sorta play the TIE Defender-style "I am always behind you" game, and is really mobile, especially with Engine. Sloop into Boost puts you back reallllly close to where you started, pointed the other way.

But the current meta features a lot of two-ship lists, which Rey/Lothal excels against. It's a lot of beef to chew through.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I got to play around with some Starviper Mk.II today, I got my copies of Guns For Hire from my GenCon buddy.

They're real fun. Real fun. I ran two Black Sun Assassins with title, Predator, Proton Torpedoes and Guidance Chips, and threw in Talonbane with Vaksai, Thread Tracers, and a bunch of stuff. Talonbane died a lot because people hate him, but not before thread tracering someone so the Starvipers got the torpedoes off in the joust and were able to do really good work afterwards.

The new barrel roll is real fun. e: Particularly following a 1-straight or bank, hell yeah.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 27, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

overdesigned posted:

I got to play around with some Starviper Mk.II today, I got my copies of Guns For Hire from my GenCon buddy.

They're real fun. Real fun. I ran two Black Sun Assassins with title, Predator, Proton Torpedoes and Guidance Chips, and threw in Talonbane with Vaksai, Thread Tracers, and a bunch of stuff. Talonbane died a lot because people hate him, but not before thread tracering someone so the Starvipers got the torpedoes off in the joust and were able to do really good work afterwards. The new barrel roll is real fun.

Advanced Sensors + 1-bank barrel roll is gonna be so tasty

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also Wapole, you may be interested in this article, where an X-Wing champ talks about the best lists you could potentially build for ~$101, and settles on HotR, the original Core, and a K-Wing. You've already got Heroes of the Resistance, so picking up a K-Wing or an original Core set shouldn't put you back too much, and it'll open up a lot of options for future lists.

K-Wing alone runs $150 on Amazon at the moment. Original core running 45-60 depending on the day.

The artificial rarity in this game is hilarious when trying to recommend things to new players, and especially funny when it's in an article that fell by the wayside like immediately. Using Amazon that "Best value for $101" article will cost you $240.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Did I read that right? $150 K-Wings?

:piss:

• Locked thread