Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

The only person besides the Courier and the Lone Wanderer, and I guess technically the guys in the Big MT? And Robobrains sort of.

Frank Horrigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

New Leaf posted:

I'm fine with a lot of things in the game that seem to irk other folks but sometimes it bothers me when I find the caps and pipe pistols in locked safes that presumably haven't been opened since before the bombs dropped.
It's been 200 years yes, but society didn't end with the bombs, it tried to rebuild.. And failed. It then became disparate smaller city-states and groups which then mostly failed as things got wore instead of better (hell, the Minutemen are an example of this). A lot of the surrounding areas have been scavenged for generations, and a surprising number or terminals and paperwork you find laying around are actually from after the war (you can clearly see the wiring and stuff for the terminals and locks that's been cobbled together, which is how I figure out how to open a lot of doors and poo poo in fallout 4), with people still trying to keep businesses running and deliveries going, etc. Aside from places with a lot of automated defense I just kind of assume that 4 or 5 generations of poo poo has occured in most spots I'm in (which of course doesn't account for there being food and valuables laying around, but hey the areas have been respawning loot every few days for 200 years now :laugh: )

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So how would you all reformat the perk chart?

I mentioned it earlier, but lockpicking 4 is utterly useless. Something that improves loot in high level containers would be pretty cool, especially if it gave you a chance at getting a legendary (metal armor leg that gives you 5% less damage from ghouls).

VANS is a joke. I think that a perk that improves functionality of your radar or VATS would be pretty cool. Maybe give you the tracking weapon mod effect on by default, or something.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 19, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maybe class them by type instead of SPECIAL? Combat, exploration, survival/health, and interaction?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Is anyone else having issues with disappearing companions? I just recruited Strong and I'm trying to dismiss Dogmeat to Red Rocket where I have all of my other companions (so far: Piper, Preston, Sheffield... Codsworth is still in Sanctuary) and at least one companion will just straight up disappear. It doesn't matter who I send dismiss next - Strong, Dogmeat, whatever - at least one person will disappear without a way to get them back.

It's incredibly aggravating because I can't just leave Strong at Trinity Tower, otherwise he'll disappear there too. This is stupid. :mad:
I've had companions go missing, as in not showing up at the settlement I told them to go to. But eventually they did turn up after I reloaded my game a few times.

You know, it would be great if your Pip-boy could tell you which settlement your companions are hanging out at. I always send them to the Red Rocket station to keep track.

sector_corrector posted:

VANS is a joke. I think that a perk that improves functionality of your radar or VATS would be pretty cool. Maybe give you the tracking weapon on by default, or something.
VANS is weird in concept because it sounds like a functionality for your Pip-boy, not a mental talent you learn. Unless VANS is some sort of psychic power.

sector_corrector posted:

Lead Belly is a terrible perk because you eventually won't bother with food because food and drinks only restore a fixed amount of HPs and thus depreciate as you level up. The only reason to take it would be for roleplaying reasons.

Speaking of which, Lead Belly made no sense in New Vegas. The Courier lived in the Wasteland all his life, so he should already have the perk having grown up on a diet of radioactive food.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 19, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

coyo7e posted:

Maybe class them by type instead of SPECIAL? Combat, exploration, survival/health, and interaction?

The animated gifs are cute but an actual list of what I can take would be nice.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zaphod42 posted:

That is weird. If you dismiss somebody they have to walk so they may not show up for awhile, but you're saying its other companions who get displaced, right? Weird. Probably a bug, unless there's some hidden limit on how many companions can be in one area :v:

Okay, this might be the case since usually when I fast-travel the dismissed companion shows up there instantly. I will assume this is the case for right now.

I'm hoping there will be a companion manager mod released in the near future to make sure where my companions are at. I really don't want this to be a bug where I have to lose a companion. Any idea if the number of beds at a settlement has anything to do with it? Is there some kind of limit on how many companions you can have at a location? I'd prefer to stash all my companions at the Red Rocket if I can.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but lockpicking 4 is utterly useless. Something that improves loot in high level containers would be pretty cool, especially if it gave you a chance at getting a legendary (metal armor leg that gives you 5% less damage from ghouls).

VANS is a joke. I think that a perk that improves functionality of your radar or VATS would be pretty cool. Maybe give you the tracking weapon mod effect on by default, or something.

I'd like to be able to scroll down on PC with the mouse wheel instead of having to move the cursor to the bottom to advance the screen. That or just have the default view be zoomed out so it encompasses the whole chart.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, if you keep doing what Preston tells you to, you unlock a shitload of settlements.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

RBA Starblade posted:

I agree that the UI could be a lot better, although I give them points for effort on that front.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Speedball posted:

Jesus, if you keep doing what Preston tells you to, you unlock a shitload of settlements.

There are 30 total I think

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Local Leader is gone and part of the base settlement stuff. Replace it with a perk allowing 2 companions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azhais posted:

It's weird that the Prydwen has happiness and settler counts, you can't ever actually do anything with it can you?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

coyo7e posted:

That's exactly what Skryim did and I hated it. I massively prefer Fallout 4's system.

RBA Starblade posted:

The gifs are colored based on what you have, what you can take, and what you can't take. :eng101:

The UI does seem especially badly designed though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Local Leader is gone and part of the base settlement stuff. Replace it with a perk allowing 2 companions.

seriously that poo poo should never have been a perk

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's weird that the Prydwen has happiness and settler counts, you can't ever actually do anything with it can you?

Yeah, that's weird, but maybe it's the game telling you that it's a safe zone where you can craft stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I came to think of something. At Covenant, during the SAFE test, they ask you which baseball position you would prefer and the holotapes in the compound mention that there is something weird about synths and baseball, in that they all answer the same on that question. If you listen to one of the torture tapes, the subject answers that he would be a Catcher. Well, in the beginning of the game, if you play as the male character, it seems he wants Shaun to become a catcher when he grows up, and even has a baseball glove near his bed. Since all the synths are based off of Shaun, they all also want to be catchers.

I wonder if there are any more subtle hints like this. Not that you'd figure it out before you get it explained to you later anyway, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Azhais posted:

31 even. A loving ton of settlements.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Geokinesis posted:

Absolutely. That one gets taken with console commands from here on out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I came to think of something. At Covenant, during the SAFE test, they ask you which baseball position you would prefer and the holotapes in the compound mention that there is something weird about synths and baseball, in that they all answer the same on that question. If you listen to one of the torture tapes, the subject answers that he would be a Catcher. Well, in the beginning of the game, if you play as the male character, it seems he wants Shaun to become a catcher when he grows up, and even has a baseball glove near his bed. Since all the synths are based off of Shaun, they all also want to be catchers.

I wonder if there are any more subtle hints like this. Not that you'd figure it out before you get it explained to you later anyway, though.

Holy cow, I never caught onto this. That's amazing. Good eye, Broken Cog!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd also get rid of the Day / Night related perks. The night ones give you a boost to PER / INT stats, which is hardly noticeable. Nightvision while sneaking is ultimately useless, since there's never anywhere dark enough for that to matter in the slightest.

Solar powered seems a bit more useful, since STR and END's passive benefits are actually somewhat useful and noticeable, but the regeneration effects in sunlight are laughable for the same reason Lockpicking 4 is useless: if you're playing the game correctly you have more healing and more radiation protection than you could ever hope to use. And, once again, unless you take a lot of effort to only operate in the daytime, you're only getting bonuses 50% of the time.

Both perks only cap out so late in the game that nothing they do could possibly be of use to a player at that point.

I don't know what I would replace it with, but that whole idea would be gone altogether.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Baron Bifford posted:

I've had companions go missing, as in not showing up at the settlement I told them to go to. But eventually they did turn up after I reloaded my game a few times.

You know, it would be great if your Pip-boy could tell you which settlement your companions are hanging out at. I always send them to the Red Rocket station to keep track.

Do you reload the save at the settlement you sent them to or before you send them there?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Broken Cog posted:

Alternativly anyone could just check the energy resistance of people because synths have natural resistance for some reason making any and all quests where you wonder if someone is a synth completely stupid.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Zaphod42 posted:

31 even. A loving ton of settlements.

So you can have, with max charisma and item bonuses, 700+ settlers with beds, crops, water, and TVs? What nuclear apocalypse?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's really disappointing how few of the outfits you can upgrade. I want to wear my road leathers, drat it. :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Idiot Savant is a really stupid perk that feels like a holdover from a different version of the game with more dialogue choices and totally different mechanics.

It's bad that it's a much more rewarding investment than raising INT for a moderately intelligent PC, it's bad that it's associated with having moderate Luck for no reason, and it's bad that it plays that terrible retarded guy sound effect when it procs while having no other meaningful impact on your character or dialogue.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Do you reload the save at the settlement you sent them to or before you send them there?
I don't know how the game works this out, really. The only thing I can say is just keep adventuring and check back at the settlement every now and then. There may be a certain randomness as to how the game places the companion, in which case you just have to try again and again until you get lucky.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Idiot Savant is a really stupid perk that feels like a holdover from a different version of the game with more dialogue choices and totally different mechanics.

It's bad that it's a much more rewarding investment than raising INT for a moderately intelligent PC, it's bad that it's associated with having moderate Luck for no reason, and it's bad that it plays that terrible retarded guy sound effect when it procs while having no other meaningful impact on your character or dialogue.
Dungeons and Dragons has a design philosophy that never rewards low stats (thus there is no feat in D&D with a maximum stat requirement). Why does Fallout 4 not embrace the same philosophy?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 19, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

So you can have, with max charisma and item bonuses, 700+ settlers with beds, crops, water, and TVs? What nuclear apocalypse?

Well, they're still being attacked by super mutants and raiders (unless you jack up their defense rating so they never get attacked off-screen). It's not exactly a free and easy life, haha.

I'm not sure how you get a settlement's happiness boosted all the way to 100. I guess give them one of every store, max out their defenses?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Professor Goodfeels needed to be a full fledged companion.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

So this guy made his own pip-boy, and no, not like the collectors edition.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245034&page=2&s=2f44257b0afd045747e6182754d4bf02

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Miguel Prado posted:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245034&page=2&s=2f44257b0afd045747e6182754d4bf02

There's this one guy who goes around to conventions I've seen and he had made his own custom pip-boy playing music (with a wonderful outfit) and he'd even give out free Nuka-Cola bottlecaps to people who recognized his stuff. Haha. He was dressed like a hodge-podge Courier with patches sewn on his coat from all the places in New Vegas he'd visited, I loved it.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Professor Goodfeels needed to be a full fledged companion.

Only if his flamethrower arm sprays smoke instead of fire.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

On perk sounds I feel the Grim Reaper's Sprint sound effect is really really loud when it triggers, like so much louder than any of the combat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Miguel Prado posted:

Woah, that is seriously impressive, that guy has an amazing sense of detail. It looks just like the "real" thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Broken Cog posted:

Btw, there's some pretty well hidden stuff in this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkXWKrEZCo

I went and got these yesterday, and the last stretch is indeed pretty tricky. I have no idea how you're supposed to do it without exploiting landing on small outcrops.

How the hell is anyone supposed to find that? :psyduck:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

How the hell is anyone supposed to find that? :psyduck:

They must expect someone to because there's a terminal there with a journal on it.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Dezztroy posted:

It's really disappointing how few of the outfits you can upgrade. I want to wear my road leathers, drat it. :(

What outfits can you upgrade? I'm wearing a vault suit 20+ hours in.....

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

They must expect someone to because there's a terminal there with a journal on it.

Comments say the journal explains why the stuff is up there but the video didn't look at it so I can only wonder what it says. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Btw, there's some pretty well hidden stuff in this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkXWKrEZCo

I went and got these yesterday, and the last stretch is indeed pretty tricky. I have no idea how you're supposed to do it without exploiting landing on small outcrops.

This is cool as poo poo. I wonder if this is the intended method to get it or if there's another way nobody's found yet? Seems pretty dang tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Okay so Dr.Sun is bugged now after the quest where he becomes the facial surgeon and wandering the wasteland endlessly cause Bethesda are poo poo at everything they do. Is there another facial surgeon somewhere? I'd like to avoid using console commands cause people have reported that it can be gamebreaking.

• Locked thread