Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

When did you receive the letter on that? I have a loan with citi and I used the number on the website even after the song and dance to submit a written request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

antiga posted:

When did you receive the letter on that? I have a loan with citi and I used the number on the website even after the song and dance to submit a written request.

Yesterday I received two letters - one from Citibank with the totals for 2010, and one from Discover with the totals for 2011-2012

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I have a subsidized Stafford loan from before the grad bar. When I go to grad school in the fall and enter deferment will the government pay the interest on it?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

door Door door posted:

I have a subsidized Stafford loan from before the grad bar. When I go to grad school in the fall and enter deferment will the government pay the interest on it?

The interest is subsidized when you're on any kind of deferment. For future reference, that will include unemployment or economic hardship deferments, if you use them.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
https://www.facebook.com/notes/divine-pharaoh/a-scenario-for-a-utopian-society/939453186184

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Wiggy Marie posted:

The interest is subsidized when you're on any kind of deferment. For future reference, that will include unemployment or economic hardship deferments, if you use them.

Cool, thanks. I was just afraid that maybe they put some exception for grad school deferment into the law.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Don't go giving them ideas!

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

So my loans just came off of deferment and I'm currently looking to find my best option for trying to pay as little as possible for the next couple years while I am trying to work my way up at my current position. What would my best option for this type of scenario be? I know that I should try and pay off as much as I can right now, but if I paid on the regular repayment schedule I'd have zero money to put towards savings, a wedding and putting money towards a house with my fiancee.

Is the Graduated Repayment my best option :(

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Depends on your income. Check out the Income Based Repayment or Pay as you Earn schedules, they might work out better for you.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Wiggy Marie posted:

Depends on your income. Check out the Income Based Repayment or Pay as you Earn schedules, they might work out better for you.

Are there calculators out there for guessing this? Otherwise I'll give AES a call again. Thank you for your quick response Wiggy :)

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
The federal site has a repayment estimator http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/

I think Pay As You Earn is the best if you qualify for it, then Income Based Repayment, then Income Contingent Repayment.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
What the hell is going on with the proposed changes to Public Interest Loan Forgiveness? I saw one of those white house survey things recently: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...tudent/wkqnqBCH and it does not seem fun.

My girlfriend and I both have substantial loans from law school. She's a public defender and is currently on the 10 year forgiveness plan. I'm on IBR and will have the balance of my loans forgiven after 25 years. My girlfriend is freaking the gently caress out. I feel like there isn't a lot of information floating around right now as to what this would mean (is this effective immediately and retroactive?) We're about to get engaged and now she's afraid that getting legally married is going to gently caress us. Originally, we knew that we needed to file separately so that her income wasn't attributed to my AGI, and vice versa. But this seemed like it was saying that it doesn't matter.

I would really love to have some more information so I can get my head around the potential ramifications of this.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow - that is going to gently caress over a lot of people.

Here's an article I found about it:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/03/04/2015-budget-white-house-proposes-broader-debt-forgiveness-for-students/

A good side to this (for me at least) would be that it appears everyone with federal loans taken out before October 2007 would now qualify for Pay As You Earn (20 year repayment) as opposed to IBR (25 year repayment). No idea if I would get the last 5 years of my IBR payments credited towards Pay As You Earn, or if I would have to start over.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

EugeneJ posted:

Wow - that is going to gently caress over a lot of people.

Here's an article I found about it:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/03/04/2015-budget-white-house-proposes-broader-debt-forgiveness-for-students/

A good side to this (for me at least) would be that it appears everyone with federal loans taken out before October 2007 would now qualify for Pay As You Earn (20 year repayment) as opposed to IBR (25 year repayment). No idea if I would get the last 5 years of my IBR payments credited towards Pay As You Earn, or if I would have to start over.

Yeah, it's pretty much the worst thing imaginable for her. I'm imagining that a lot of this is politicking, or will have a grandfathering period, but it's pretty devastating. Married couples filing separately still having spouses' income imputed to AGI is a pretty dick move, and would probably mean that she and I shouldn't get legally married for like, ever. I feel like there's no way in hell this would happen without a tremendous uproar, and that everything will be fine, but that's surprisingly not the most reassuring sentiment.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Just did one of those free annual credit checks. I paid off my student loans a few years ago but one of the student loans has the pay status showing as "unrated." Transunion has an X through each month I made a payment which means unknown. It shows the correct date the loan was closed. Do I need to contact anyone to fix this? The loan was definitely paid off but my credit report seems to be missing some of that information.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

EugeneJ posted:

Oh man, Pay as You Earn could save me so much money.

The article says the payments are maxed at 10% of my "discretionary income."

What, exactly, is defined as discretionary income? Is it merely my after-tax income? My after-tax income minus any other student loan payments?

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh man, Pay as You Earn could save me so much money.

The article says the payments are maxed at 10% of my "discretionary income."

What, exactly, is defined as discretionary income? Is it merely my after-tax income? My after-tax income minus any other student loan payments?

I'm pretty sure it is the difference between your income and 150% of the poverty line.

EDIT: Or maybe it is just the difference between your income and the poverty line.
http://studentaid.ed.gov/glossary#Discretionary_Income

JohnnyPalace fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 11, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a calculator to show what the difference would be for your payments on IBR vs. Pay As You Earn:

https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/mobile/repayment/repaymentEstimator.action

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I applied for Independence University, and am paying $80k for a 3 year Bachelors program in Computer Science with a focus on Security Systems, but I don't seem to be getting any money for living expenses, and my loans matched up to exactly what my tuition was. I need at least 10k a year for the next 3 years, and I'm foster care, so I don't know anyone who would co-sign a loan for me. Is there a way I can get a loan so I can focus on schooling?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Did you fill out the fafsa? I would think you should have got some grants being in foster care.

Also are you sure this place is legitimately with that much money? It looks a bit sketchy from the web site.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

So I applied for Independence University, and am paying $80k for a 3 year Bachelors program in Computer Science with a focus on Security Systems, but I don't seem to be getting any money for living expenses, and my loans matched up to exactly what my tuition was. I need at least 10k a year for the next 3 years, and I'm foster care, so I don't know anyone who would co-sign a loan for me. Is there a way I can get a loan so I can focus on schooling?

Don't take out $100k+ in loans for that school. Read the working in IT thread in SH/SC and check out WGU if you have to do online. A few successful people from that thread have gone there, it's online, accredited, non-profit, and only $6k/year. Or do regular community college first.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Turtlicious posted:

What they said. I don't have much to add, just do not use this university. That is not a price tag you need in your future.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Turtlicious posted:

A high quality bachelors in CS should cost <40k in tuition and books, and <30k if you do the first 2yrs at community college... I didn't see anything that makes Independence Uni worth the extra money from googling them. Why do you feel it's worth so much more?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

EugeneJ posted:

Here's a calculator to show what the difference would be for your payments on IBR vs. Pay As You Earn:

https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/mobile/repayment/repaymentEstimator.action

If that estimate is to be believed, then I could save a lot with Pay As You Earn:

I'm currently on Extended Graduated because I need the lower monthly payments.

PAYE could get me both lower payments AND lower overall money spend with the forgiveness.

Please, please, please let this budget pass. :pray:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A goon reccomended it, I didn't know it wasn't worth 80k I thought that was how much schooling cost.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

I've already signed up, is it too late to back out?

E: Nope, I dodged that loving bullet.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 14, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Turtlicious posted:

A goon reccomended it, I didn't know it wasn't worth 80k I thought that was how much schooling cost.

Fuuuuuuuuck.

I've already signed up, is it too late to back out?

E: Nope, I dodged that loving bullet.
Well, maybe it is worth that, but why is it? You need to investigate that. I've earned ~230 credits (and a degree as of this June - included in the 32k cost) from a community college and university for right around 32k, and I know others who have done similar. Maybe this program is worth the extra money, but it doesn't sound like it is.

You need to go with "trust but verify" when reading things on the Internet. Don't believe me that this is a raw deal and a scammy school - that was just my (and others) first impression from the Googles.

I see it this way. When your paying over double for education vs a reputable 4yr state university, there needs to be some additional value provided. I doubt this happens via online school. You won't be working with world class PhD's, you won't be meeting amazing connections, etc.

So please vette the school!

Edit:

Are you opposed to going to a state college in person? From my experience (I took about half of my community college courses online due to working FT, and 3 of my university classes online) I would really vote in person vs online. Some BS classes, online makes sense cuz you don't want to be there, but for the core classes and especially major classes, in person is ideal. Not to mention that is the only way you REALLY build rapport with the professors, which can open many doors. If nothing else, it gets great recommendations.

Anyway, I did a little more digging for you. This post stood out to me: http://gradreports.com/colleges/independence-university

quote:

I earned my Bachelor's from California College for Health Sciences and matriculated right into the Health Admin Master's Program back in 2001 - then Independence University bought out CCHS and took over, changed a lot of policies. CCHS was wonderful, I had excellent mentoring and support, even flew from New England to National City California and met my advisors. They were great, but when Independence University took over they definitely lost their personal touch and the tuition quadrupled, literally. I finished my Master's and the education was good, but not sure I would have done IU right from the start. I was halfway through the program when CCHS became IU.
I imagine there is a "school picking thread" here on the forums, but I'd look into in-state universities. I'm FAR from an expert, but I like my money in my pocket, not the higher education businesses.

Do some research, you can find a good school that will be TONS less expensive. And don't trust everything you read on the Internet :) (But do trust negative things about schools...they're often right. Check out Colorado Tech. Then call them. Then lol endlessly! I did this when my friend's ex went back to get her Masters from them. OMG BAD.)

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 15, 2014

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Turtlicious posted:

I have no idea who you could talk to, and I hope to god someone here does, but look into scholarships for foster children. Government expects parents to pay for college if they can and -- at least in my state -- the government is your "parent" since you were a ward of the state and therefore will pay all or most of your tuition (and perhaps a small living stipend? not sure).

It'd be worth your time to pursue this, since you may be able to attend a school of your choice for little or no debt.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I apply for College, the state will pony up 10k every financial year, and then I'm automatically approved for the rest in Stafford loans. The real issue I'm having isn't paying for college necessarily, but paying to live. I've tried looking for a job, and it's just not happening. I want to go back to school, and my tuition would be completely paid for, but I simply can't afford the living expenses. Which is true whether I go to school or not tbh.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So if you went to a normal school you could get your 10k and the pell grant and the Stafford loan. Say you get 30k for the year. If school only costs 20k they send you a check for the rest and you can live on it.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 15, 2014

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

When I apply for College, the state will pony up 10k every financial year, and then I'm automatically approved for the rest in Stafford loans. The real issue I'm having isn't paying for college necessarily, but paying to live. I've tried looking for a job, and it's just not happening. I want to go back to school, and my tuition would be completely paid for, but I simply can't afford the living expenses. Which is true whether I go to school or not tbh.

If you do something cheap like WGU or a local community college then you'll be able to pay for school and living expenses with just pell grants/stafford loans and not have to deal with a private bank loans/cosign.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Amphion posted:

If you do something cheap like WGU or a local community college then you'll be able to pay for school and living expenses with just pell grants/stafford loans and not have to deal with a private bank loans/cosign.
This. One hundred times this.

College is great. Debt is not. So keep your debt as low as possible when going to college! And going to a shady overpriced college isn't the best way to obtain that goal.

Also, I'd make finding a job more of a priority.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spwrozek posted:

So if you went to a normal school you could get your 10k and the pell grant and the Stafford loan. Say you get 30k for the year. If school only costs 20k they send you a check for the rest and you can live on it.

Everytime I've applied for the FAFSA I was approved for the exact amount of Tuition and not a penny more. Is there a box I need to check where I can ask for more then tuition?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Turtlicious posted:

Everytime I've applied for the FAFSA I was approved for the exact amount of Tuition and not a penny more. Is there a box I need to check where I can ask for more then tuition?
That must be because of the cost of the school or something, which sounds like they're price fixing it? You should be approved for the annual limit for your grade-year, AFAIK.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

DrBouvenstein posted:

If that estimate is to be believed, then I could save a lot with Pay As You Earn:

I'm currently on Extended Graduated because I need the lower monthly payments.

PAYE could get me both lower payments AND lower overall money spend with the forgiveness.

Please, please, please let this budget pass. :pray:

Except for if you are in public service and expecting full forgiveness after 10 years, and now only get like 56K forgiven, oh, and your spouse's income is now imputed to yours as well even if you file separately so your payments for the next 15 years are going to be even higher than you can afford and you're totally hosed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I could use some help. My wife went to school and we are now quite a bit in student loan debt. We took our the loans when she started school and honestly, looking at it now we probably were not smart about how much and how. So I am realizing we were probably stupid. But any help could really be appreciated.

Student loans
Direct unsub stafford loan
$22,064.33 at 6.8%

Direct student plus loan
$13,061 at 7.9%

Direct student plus loan
$17,506 at 7.9% interest

Direct sub stafford loan
$6,375.00 at 6.8% interest

$10,347 at 6.8% interest

Direct student plus loan
$10,562 at 7.9% interest

Total: $80,168.60

Right now the loans are all through fed loan servicing. What I'm taking out of this is the interest is crazy high for a lot of these, so I would love to know if there is a way to consolidate and get the rates down.

We have good credit, pay our bills on time, and I have an emergency fund. I am looking at payment options, and the standRd payment over 10 years is stretching our budget a lot. Certainly the graduated payments would do better for is for now, but I don't want to pay less now to necessarily dig a hole for later.

Any thoughts on the best way to organize this mess and start getting things on the right track?

Side note, she works two part time jobs to equal 40 hours a week and 30 of those hours is a public institution.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

So I could use some help. My wife went to school and we are now quite a bit in student loan debt. We took our the loans when she started school and honestly, looking at it now we probably were not smart about how much and how. So I am realizing we were probably stupid. But any help could really be appreciated.

Student loans
$22,064.33 at 6.8%

Direct student plus loan
$13,061 at 7.9%

Direct student plus loan
$17,506 at 7.9% interest

Direct sub stafford loan
$6,375.00 at 6.8% interest

$10,347 at 6.8% interest

Direct student plus loan
$10,562 at 7.9% interest

Total: $80,168.60

Right now the loans are all through fed loan servicing. What I'm taking out of this is the interest is crazy high for a lot of these, so I would love to know if there is a way to consolidate and get the rates down.

We have good credit, pay our bills on time, and I have an emergency fund. I am looking at payment options, and the standRd payment over 10 years is stretching our budget a lot. Certainly the graduated payments would do better for is for now, but I don't want to pay less now to necessarily dig a hole for later.

Any thoughts on the best way to organize this mess and start getting things on the right track?

Side note, she works two part time jobs to equal 40 hours a week and 30 of those hours is a public institution.

IBR those fuckers and she might qualify for loan forgiveness in 10 years:

http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html#pslf

Can she go full-time at the 30 hour/week job?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 24, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

IBR those fuckers and she might qualify for loan forgiveness in 10 years:

http://www.ibrinfo.org/what.vp.html#pslf

Can she go full-time at the 30 hour/week job?

What's nice is her other job is a non profit, so between her 40 hours a week she seems to qualify for that.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What's her degree in? 80k in education means pretty good salary, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

What's her degree in? 80k in education means pretty good salary, right?

Ugh, no. Her degree was in library science, so right now she is working two part time jobs to talking about 22K a year. To her credit she at least has this, since there are quite a few from that field that just can't find any jobs. In theory a full time job in that field should be 50K, but she hasn't gotten that yet.

On the plus side, she does really enjoy the work, so it's a field she is happy to be in. On the downside obviously the expense should have been much better planned. Honestly, we have already had our fights and debates on that, and are on the same page now that it was just probably not well thought out. What can you do.

I make $55-60K a year, so the positive is that between salaries we are honestly fine, and the real silver lining is whenever she gets said better paying job it'll really give us financial breathing room on this. We currently live in Philly (so fairly expensive cost of living) and in probably two years we will move somewhere with a lower cost of living too. Probably anyway.

But yeah, rant aside, I would live ideas on how to best tackle this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want to apologize since I'm old and say "IBR" by default. If the loans are newer, she should qualify for Pay as You Earn, which is very much like IBR, but has a maximum 20-year repayment if she doesn't qualify for loan forgiveness. You should look into that first.