Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aziraphale60
Oct 13, 2006

by Pragmatica

a cow posted:

he's got alzheimer's dude

Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's?

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

aziraphale60 posted:

Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's?

:(

This came out in 2010, and sadly it is start to chip away at his writing skills. His editors just haven't got the heart to pick through the stuff too.

It is just bloody sad for us all.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I had a "this loving series" moment in the Dungeons and Douchebags thread.

Ankh-Morporkh has grassy gnolls.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SeanBeansShako posted:

This came out in 2010, and sadly it is start to chip away at his writing skills. His editors just haven't got the heart to pick through the stuff too.

It is just bloody sad for us all.

He announced that in 2007, man.

I hate saying this but from all the stories and interviews you read of him over time it's hard not to see how the thing has taken it's toll those past 5 years.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Beerdeer posted:

Holy crap :aaaaa:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Beerdeer posted:

:facepalm: Another one I missed.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Beerdeer posted:

Welp, show's over folks, time to pack up and go home.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That one went under my radar too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Beerdeer posted:

Not this again, noooooo.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I think we're gonna keep finding these for a long time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arbite posted:

I think we're gonna keep finding these for a long time.

The quality of a great mans writing. Years of entertainment still to come.

I guess SKY has stopped doing those screen adaptions. Shame they couldn have nailed it with one more.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Beerdeer posted:

God damnit.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I can't wait until people spot the pun in Sto Lat.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

The quality of a great mans writing. Years of entertainment still to come.

I guess SKY has stopped doing those screen adaptions. Shame they couldn have nailed it with one more.

Pretty sure they're doing Unseen Academicals actually. Or at least they announced they were awhile ago.

Wisp
May 17, 2010

Beerdeer posted:

And one such grassy gnoll gives information in Jingo, which is about investigating an assassination attempt where the target was shot from the Library...

(I didn't figure that one out myself, of course. The Annotated Pratchett File is really quite good, it's a shame it hardly ever updates.)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

quote:

+ [p. 289] "The Death of Rats had scurried up the side of the clock [...]"

As the nursery rhyme goes:

Hickory Dickory Dock,
The mouse ran up the clock
The clock struck one,
The mouse ran down,
Hickory Dickory Dock
:psyduck: The hole is deeper than I thought.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

:psyduck: The hole is deeper than I thought.

Okay, now it's not even being fair. There's little references I should know but only my subconscious recognizes. What an artist.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

quote:

- [p. 169/146] After Rincewind and Twoflower escape from the Wyrmberg they are flying a dragon one moment and a modern jetliner the next.

Clearly they have been, get this, translated to another plane

Oh my god

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'd make fun of you all for being a bunch of goddamn nerds, but I had a similar reaction when I found out that the Selachii and Venturii families are the Sharks and Jets.

Also, does anybody else find the Angua/Sally/Cheery go clubbing subplot in Thud! really painful to read? It just fucks up the pacing while being out-of-character and just really poorly done.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah that bit always bugged me. I mean it's something I could see Cheery doing, but definitely not Angua.

I understand Angua and Sally needed some character bonding but that bit just didn't work for me. That being said, I'd love another Watch-focused book involving all of those characters.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that bit always bugged me. I mean it's something I could see Cheery doing, but definitely not Angua.

I understand Angua and Sally needed some character bonding but that bit just didn't work for me. That being said, I'd love another Watch-focused book involving all of those characters.

Even if I disliked that scene (which I don't), it'd get a pass for setting up one of the bluest jokes I can recall in any of the books (Fred Colon's 'minge drinking' malapropism).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

AXE COP posted:

Oh my god

gently caress you Alzheimers just gently caress you :smith:.

This is simply amazing.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'd make fun of you all for being a bunch of goddamn nerds, but I had a similar reaction when I found out that the Selachii and Venturii families are the Sharks and Jets.

Oh goddammit.

Some day I'm going to go through the earlier books again and see what else I missed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Angua has always struck me as one of the weakest, most tedious characters in the Watch books, which are normally tight as a drum. Her every subplot consists of her whining about her lycanthropy, and there's rarely much variety in the flavor of angst she presents. It was understandable in Men at Arms and The Fifth Elephant couldn't have done without her due to the Uberwald thing, but she's usually much better as an ancillary character who can just act as a plot device or gag fodder.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I could do without the whole "Angua is Carrot's dog" thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I thought Angua was pretty strong in Fifth Elephant, since we get more of her relationship with her family. Pratchett occasionally lets characters' big traits (werewolf, etc.) overtake their small ones, which are often more important for character development: what do they do for fun, etc. Agnes and Susan have similar issues. It's hard to imagine them doing much outside of the plot.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I can see Agnes blogging about being a witch. Pterry once made the comment that Agnes was either inspired by or was told by many American women that she reminded them of themselves, moreso than the more easily identifiable characters in the books. You can really see it, too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nilbop posted:

I can see Agnes blogging about being a witch. Pterry once made the comment that Agnes was either inspired by or was told by many American women that she reminded them of themselves, moreso than the more easily identifiable characters in the books. You can really see it, too.
Yeah, she mostly serves as the audience identification character, but she doesn't have a huge amount of personality. She was better in Carpe Jugulum than Maskerade, though, and I'd have liked to see where Pratchett was planning to take her. The Agnes/Perdita split is an interesting idea, but it seemed to overtake writing Agnes as a person. What was her personality aside from "passive observer" and "split personalities?" Despite being the protagonist (roughly), she's stuck in the role of sidekick. Magrat served a similar role, but had a more defined personality, and I was a little surprised when he more-or-less wrote her out of the series.

I like Agnes, I just wanted Pratchett to do more with her.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Magrat got an advanced version of the Detritus-promotion, which continued making her both interesting and an in-world success, which was sweet. You just get the impression that Agnes sits there expecting the plot to form around her, and then being frustrated with herself when it doesn't.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Nilbop posted:

Magrat got an advanced version of the Detritus-promotion, which continued making her both interesting and an in-world success, which was sweet. You just get the impression that Agnes sits there expecting the plot to form around her, and then being frustrated with herself when it doesn't.

I have totally been that person at times in my life, and I'm not the only one.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

I have totally been that person at times in my life, and I'm not the only one.

I think everyone's a little bit like that, it just takes on another dimension of hilarity in a universe that literally runs on plot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nilbop posted:

I think everyone's a little bit like that, it just takes on another dimension of hilarity in a universe that literally runs on plot.
I think you mean that everyone around whom the plot does not revolve feels that way. Face it, you're an NPC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Agnes/Perdita split is an interesting idea, but it seemed to overtake writing Agnes as a person. What was her personality aside from "passive observer" and "split personalities?" Despite being the protagonist (roughly), she's stuck in the role of sidekick.

So is Bruce Banner, in a lot of Hulk stories. Both Banner and Agnes are literally their own sidekicks.

Agnes' personality is built round two things: her disgruntlement with being dismissed as capable, sensible and good wife material when she wants to be interesting, flamboyant and romantic, and her annoyance with herself when she actually does try to be those things. She's also a bit like Rorschach in Watchment, in that she starts out as Agnes pretending to be Perdita but later - after Agnes realises how silly the pretense is - Perdita becomes a very real and distinct personality. I've sometimes wondered if Agnes has somehow managed to Borrow herself.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jedit posted:

I've sometimes wondered if Agnes has somehow managed to Borrow herself.

I think Granny Weatherwax says this as a theory at some point doesn't she?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

So is Bruce Banner, in a lot of Hulk stories. Both Banner and Agnes are literally their own sidekicks.
Oh, sorry, that was ambiguous. Those two sentences are unrelated. The Witches books are really about Granny Weatherwax, and that means having another character to act as the POV character, because Pratchett doesn't want to write a book from Granny's POV. Unfortunately, this means that the point-of-view protagonist is stuck in sidekick mode: Magrat had a similar issue, but Magrat also had a more defined personality than Agnes.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
A few days late to the 'subtle language puns' party, but: in Making Money, there's a scene where Drumknott comments on how great Vetinari is at Discworld's version of SuDoku, which is called 'Jikan no Muda'. Which is Japanese for 'a waste of time'.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I never would have figured out the Vetinari / Medici reference if he hadn't basically spelled it out in Night Watch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Apraxin posted:

A few days late to the 'subtle language puns' party, but: in Making Money, there's a scene where Drumknott comments on how great Vetinari is at Discworld's version of SuDoku, which is called 'Jikan no Muda'. Which is Japanese for 'a waste of time'.

Which is almost an unnecessary joke, as "sudoku" is itself an abbreviation of a Japanese phrase meaning "mathematical puzzles for children".

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I was watching Game Of Thrones the other night, and was struck by how similar Stannis (Stephen Dillane) looks to the way I've always pictured Vimes. Balding, stonefaced, hardasssed, and outwardly convinced he's completely right about everything (I know Stannis is also inwardly convinced of that, but the actor's really got the stoneface thing happening beautifully) .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Vimes will always be Pete Postlethwaite to me. :(

Can someone resurrect him please?