Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Maybe it's just me but I don't trust all the CV joints underneath the JK. Something about a flimsy rubber boot separating me from possible driveshaft failure makes me a little nervous too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mod sassinator posted:

How serious do you want to go offroading? I personally wouldn't want to risk taking a brand new $30k car crawling over massive boulders, through steep ravines, etc. However if you're just driving trails, mudding, etc. there really isn't anything stock more capable than a Wrangler Rubicon that you can buy brand new.

Why bother buying a Jeep Rubicon if you're not going to wheel it ? there are a thousand vehicles that are better for on-road use than the Rubicon. The Rubicon is at home on the rocks and in the trails.

Mine a couple days after I drove it off the showroom floor:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sharp_angus posted:

Maybe it's just me but I don't trust all the CV joints underneath the JK. Something about a flimsy rubber boot separating me from possible driveshaft failure makes me a little nervous too!

The boot is protected by a skidpan. How many JK driveshaft failures have you seen ?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

trouser chili posted:

But like mod sassinator already said, do you really want to be rubbing $30,000 up against trees and bolders and poo poo? I wheel a $2,800 Scout and feel bad because I crunched my rockers which were already rusted and in need of replacement.

It's a Catch 22, I get asked that when people find out I wheel my truck, its like, you can't afford to spend that much money and *NOT* wheel it, otherwise what's the point?

Sharp_angus posted:

Bah. That's what trail spares is for. Spare bearings and races, a spare shaft, a spare boot, some zip ties, etc. You can get zipper/strap on/stitch on cv boot covers if you are that worried about tearing a boot on the trail.

No big deal.

(Although I never heard it happening on a JK)

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 13, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Geared Hub posted:

It's a Catch 22, I get asked that when people find out I wheel my truck, its like, you can't afford to spend that much money and *NOT* wheel it, otherwise what's the point?

Well, that's a good point. I mean if I bought one it sure as hell would be getting dirty.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

trouser chili posted:

Well, that's a good point. I mean if I bought one it sure as hell would be getting dirty.

I wash mine twice a year - once in the spring before I switch from the hard-top to the soft top, and once again in the late fall when I make the switch back.

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep. (also, mine's black, and when it's clean, it shows ALL the scratches!)

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

jonathan posted:

The boot is protected by a skidpan. How many JK driveshaft failures have you seen ?

No all I meant was ripping the boot and running the joint dry or something. I haven't seen any failures firsthand, but then I have only wheeled briefly with other Cherokees/Commanches before I retired mine to the street :(

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

PBCrunch posted:

I've had my Cherokee for a couple of months now and I want to use the 4WD. How do I go about fining places where I can take the truck off-road near Omaha, NE? I don't want to be a jerk and tear up people's private land.

Google it? You could also check pirate4x4.com and naxja, especially the forums as they both have regional boards. They should at least give you some ideas of where you could go.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

mod sassinator posted:

However if you're just driving trails, mudding, etc. there really isn't anything stock more capable than a Wrangler Rubicon that you can buy brand new.

I'e seen more people break their poo poo mudding than I have crawling;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne7_4aTxCy8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27rcGZ_ptA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPsdJ6JpmYI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9gCMKm44Wk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3A6KJw7YY&feature=related

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It amazes me that so many people are willing to just plow into deep water without taking note of where their intake is. The fourth vid didn't look that bad though as the intake box is behind the headlight; the water must have come up from underneath and gone right through his K&N 'filter'.

Sour Grapes
Dec 29, 2002

All you kids out there...

Philip J Fry posted:

It amazes me that so many people are willing to just plow into deep water without taking note of where their intake is. The fourth vid didn't look that bad though as the intake box is behind the headlight; the water must have come up from underneath and gone right through his K&N 'filter'.

it's his new cold water intake mod.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Heh, those are morbidly entertaining to watch. :)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Heh, those are morbidly entertaining to watch. :)

It's always good to watch and learn from other peoples mistakes before you become u-boat commander with your own rig. When in doubt, get out and check out the fording point by walking and gauging the profile of the surface under the muck. Or let a few other people with similar vehicles go first.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Geared Hub posted:

It's always good to watch and learn from other peoples mistakes before you become u-boat commander with your own rig. When in doubt, get out and check out the fording point by walking and gauging the profile of the surface under the muck. Or let a few other people with similar vehicles go first.

Is a snorkel kit a good idea?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

A.o.D. posted:

If you plan on going under water it sure is.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Jeep Jeep

2002 Laredo with about 160k on it. It's been to most states from Maine to Georgia out to the Mississippi. Its the default road trip car for my friends and me. We can fit 3 folks with all sorts of equipment based on the trip, it's headed to Acadia National Park in a few weeks. 10 hours each way, a medium sized trip.

I have had a 60 foot oak tree fall on me while going 40 (jeep was maybe a year old), been caught in a flash flood, and some other minor accidents. Probably a good 20k in insurance claims but I just can't kill the fucker.

I literally crawled out of it (took a while to find a way out) when the tree fell on me, the cop was saying I can't believe you don't have a scratch on you, this is your lucky day kid! Same with the tow driver, ambulance, and press guy. They were all looking at me like I shoulda been a corpse, and it was unsettling. It was spectacular, one of those days when your outlook changes. Pretty sure it was a 9k insurance claim.

Only in a Jeep!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I love stories like that!

BTW: Hood struts are like $17 and you can change them in 5 minutes with a pair of nail clippers. I'm so glad I changed mine when they were weak.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fordham posted:

If you plan on going under water it sure is.
Even if you're not, a "perfectly reasonable" wading depth can become "Ooooh poo poo, dive dive dive..." thanks to hidden ledges and the like (I've done it myself). A snorkel is good insurance - even if the engine conks out, if you haven't got water into the intake, at least you'll be able to drive it home once it's been towed out and dried off.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've been meaning to ask, but what precautions for water crossings do you need to make, other than a snorkel? Specifically on a 2000 TJ, are there electrical components that will gently caress off if you get them seriously wet? Are there breather tubes or ports from the drivetrain components that need to be extended?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Doctor Zero posted:

I love stories like that!

BTW: Hood struts are like $17 and you can change them in 5 minutes with a pair of nail clippers. I'm so glad I changed mine when they were weak.

Thank you sir. The rotor blade prop up was just a safety precaution that we used when we un-safely were charging LiPo batteries off the Jeep. If the hood slammed we were risking a fire. Those things are fire bombs if punctured. We got a generator since then. :)

They are the size of a brick. Mobile torture units, kept in 50 cal ammo boxes.

Herv fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 15, 2010

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

EightBit posted:

I've been meaning to ask, but what precautions for water crossings do you need to make, other than a snorkel? Specifically on a 2000 TJ, are there electrical components that will gently caress off if you get them seriously wet? Are there breather tubes or ports from the drivetrain components that need to be extended?

There's quite a lot of stuff you can/need to waterproof. Amongst them are: distributor, transmission, transfer case, gas tank, muffler snorkel, battery, and others that I currently don't recall. I read a thread at Jeepforum where this guy made his YJ into a pseudo-submarine by redirecting all the breathers to a single air filter located in the uppermost part of the engine cabin. I'm sure you can one-up that one and redirect them to a snorkel.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Yes, if only to raise the air intake high enough to keep bow waves from the front of the vehicle from crashing up over the hood and into your OEM positioned air intake. This would require the air intake plumbing to be water tight, and before you get to that, it's not entirely foolproof. You may have electrical issues and other points of entry for water such as vent lines, breathing holes, etc.

Even with a vehicle with a snorkel, that has been running in the water for a fair bit during the day, I'd do a small service and swap out the drive line fluids, hubs, transmission, transfer case, differentials just to be on the safe side.

Steiler Drep posted:

There's quite a lot of stuff you can/need to waterproof. Amongst them are: distributor, transmission, transfer case, gas tank, muffler snorkel, battery, and others that I currently don't recall. I read a thread at Jeepforum where this guy made his YJ into a pseudo-submarine by redirecting all the breathers to a single air filter located in the uppermost part of the engine cabin. I'm sure you can one-up that one and redirect them to a snorkel.

This is how many military vehicles do this. Run vent lines to all the gearboxes and run it to an air line which feeds into the air filtration system.

On my H1, everything each major driveline component has a small bung which presses onto a bunch of small vent hoses, which run to t-connectors and fasten onto the control arms and frame rails. It all routes to the top of the air filter canister.

You can probably source a series of tubing and press fit bungs and t-connections from mcmaster.com and then run it to a single connection on the air intake system.

The humvee and some other military vehicles go one step further with a value you can trip which seals off and pressurizes the venting system, so even if you have leaking seals in your driveline, water won't get injested into the system.

Plus it helps that most of these systems use a diesel engine where getting water into your engine bay isn't as big of a deal as a gasoline engine provided your wiring is up to spec. I've seen some pretty tricked out diesel toyotas down under which would look perfect for this stuff.

Once you do all this, it becomes another maintenance item to keep an eye on, you would have to keep an eye on hose clamps, and all the little airlines regularly to ensure a good seal. Worse case you get a bit of water contamination on a hub or diff, but you can just swap out the fluids more often.

I mention that because there can be a hidden gotcha that's not obvious with trying to setup a vehicle for fording, even those which come from the factory designed with that ability. I've seen a few H1 owners get into trouble because the civilian trucks added a small duckbill rubber dust boot on the bottom of the air intake can. The idea is that dust and dirt can pile up on the bottom of the air can, and it will drop out of the rubber boot. If the rubber is old and dry, then it becomes a point of water ingestion, so at that point it doesn't matter if your snorkel is 5 foot high, you'll take on water at 2-3 feet. The military ones don't have this issue because that inlet is capped off.

Arb makes the most common snorkel kit I believe for Jeeps, Toyotas and H3's:

I like that kit because it allows you to swap out the intake with a precleaner/filter for sand and dusty environments.

Here's an H3 with the intake swapped out with a SyClone air precleaner.

Even with a kit you have to make sure everything upstream from the intake is solid:

That looks like a home made kit made with piping.

/edit Actually this guy below does have a snorkel, it's really hard to see with the noise from the video capture, but its sitting a foot above the water being pushed over the hood.

Click here for the full 700x606 image.

You'll see a few H1 guys go to a home depot and get 2 hose clamps and some rubber toilet gaskets or reducers for pvc pipe and home brew something up, anything to keep the intake above the bow wave.

With that being said, if you are just splashing around I wouldn't worry too much about it, but in case you go swimming really deep, always bring a tow strap, just in case. And the rule goes, if you sink it, you are the one hooking it up to the other truck.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 15, 2010

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

HI AGAIN JEEP THREAD I AM BACK.

Can I get someone's quick opinion on this XJ: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/1823436397.html

I'm not looking for a daily driver or a hardcore off roader, but something that could tow a jetski and be a fun truck to tool around in. He's had it on CL for at least a month, so I'm thinking maybe offering $2k if it seems like a decent truck. THANKS JEEP THREAD!

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Got me a girl jeep:

BUT the saving grace:

:D

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Paulie posted:

Got me a girl jeep:

BUT the saving grace:

:D

no problem!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

no problem!

Once it's paid for I'll figure out if I want to tow around a trail rig or make it a trail rig.

It's got a little lift and 31's on it now, and next step will be to get an ecu tune, stronger torque converter, and mess with the intake and exhaust. Should get it up to around 350 lb/ft and better fuel economy.

If I do go trail rig, it's such a humongous pain in the rear end to fit any tire over 265/75/16 on these, solid axle swap is a no-brainer.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Random mod... thought I would crosspost this here.

I wanted some storage in the Jeep for when the doors and top are off. The Smittybilt GEAR ($100) seat cover gets poor reviews and is not removable, so I thought I would make my own.

Took a $30 Airsoft plate carrier, split the two halves, sewed the front to the rear and scavenged the hardware to create some quick disconnects so I could grab the whole thing by the drag handle and take it in the house.

Yes, I was in the Navy and the Army.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
drat thats really awesome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's a pretty neat solution. If I have any water left in my Camelbak when I've been biking, I hang it like that to drink on the drive home.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
So I finally finished that thing I started building three years ago.

Took it for a celebratory romp through the mountains before it rusts into the ground

Yeah, that last one is a photoshop. But don't for one second think that I'm not going to kinkos tomorrow to print a large version of that logo and make it into a cardboard stencil. That poo poo is happening.

I'm just disappointed I didn't get a chance to use my winch :(

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 20, 2010

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Geared Hub posted:

Even with a vehicle with a snorkel, that has been running in the water for a fair bit during the day, I'd do a small service and swap out the drive line fluids, hubs, transmission, transfer case, differentials just to be on the safe side.

This is how many military vehicles do this. Run vent lines to all the gearboxes and run it to an air line which feeds into the air filtration system.

You changed your name, that's weird.

He's got it though. The snorkel is really best for preventing splash into the intake when momentarily running through deep water, and even with a snorkel you want to get out of that stuff as fast as possible and do not stop.

Seen plenty of guys get swamped running a snorkel because they didn't consider something else - i.e. bare wiring shorting to ground, working the clutch in mud, etc.

So long as you're moving, the average OEM 4x4 is likely to keep water out, even from axles and driveline components, which generate enough internal atmospheric pressure when in use to keep water out.

Stop and all bets are off unless you've implemented most of the waterproofing tweaks he mentioned.

Geared Hub, do you know where I can find a supply online of check valves for vent lines? I haven't been able to find any.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

incredibull posted:

Geared Hub, do you know where I can find a supply online of check valves for vent lines? I haven't been able to find any.
If you're extending your various breathers up high, do you really need check valves in them?

Anyway, some Googling tells me to ask your local Toyota spares counter for part number 90930-03136, a breather check valve with a 5/16" barb fitting.

(See also http://www.sonoransteel.com/Diff_Breather_Parts.pdf)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

incredibull posted:

You changed your name, that's weird.

:tinfoil: It's a long story. Some individuals on a club website got their nose out of joint because I was posting more on other automotive forums than theirs, so I solved the issue by quitting that club and renaming all my accounts on different forums.

quote:

There is a bunch here, but the challenge will be finding something that can work with just fluids with a low pressure trigger point if that's the correct term. It can add multiple points of failure to the system, so you may be better off keeping it simple, or just having one in a spot where you can test it regularly.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#check-valves/=81nb8t

On my hummer there's no check valves just the vent lines, on the humvee there's an additional manual valve at the end of the circuit that you can close off for fording then reopen on dry land, but on recent revisions of humvees I haven't seen that either. [They changed a lot over the last 20 years in non obvious ways].

It can cause interesting situations by linking together your vent lines. If you have a transfer case with a cooling loop that pumps transmission fluid, and that cracks, your transfer case will suck the transmission dry and shunt all that ATF to vent lines and eventually your air filter. Hopefully you catch that before you cook the transmission.

I've seen a lift pump with a torn diaphragm push diesel fuel into the vent system causing it to pool up in the lowest point [in this case a humvees geared hub]. Open that up and have gear oil and diesel come out? Yeah that was a good :wtf: moment.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
New to the thread here, but I'm so anxious that I needed to write about it in a place that can appreciate my excitement!

2 weeks after a careless driver plowed through the side of my 1998 GC Laredo, I am now the proud new owner of a 2000 GC Laredo. 99k miles and in great running order. Entire car looked, drove, and sounded smooth as butter during the test drive and inspection. Needs an alignment and some new hood hydraulics, but these are easy things to do.

I found shopping for a used car a lot harder the second time around. So many listings that use the same phrases that really don't hold up when you go look at it. An entire week filled with "ums," "ahs," bold-faced lies, and blank stares. For instance:

"Car is well taken care of!"
Okay then. If that's the case, then you are not allowed to say "I don't know" or any variation on that theme when I ask you when you last changed the tranny fluid. Or the differential fluid. Or the coolant. If your air filter is almost black, and your coolant is dark brown, then you haven't taken care of it!

"Non-smoker. Clean!"
Super! But a pro tip when letting the next guy look at it after I pass: remove your cigarette pack from underneath the drivers seat.

"Ready to drive off the lot!"
This one was the best. Body and interior were in fantastic shape. When I got underneath the car to take a look before the test drive though, I noticed that the right side of the axle was extremely greasy. The CV joint boot was missing! To say that the front end howled at 50mph would be an understatement. This same Jeep also had a serpentine belt that was literally coming apart at the seams. You could see it fraying on the OUTSIDE of the belt.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Those are some heavy duty check valves. The ones on my Jeep are just little plastic things. Makes me wonder how well they even do their job.

quote:

If you're extending your various breathers up high, do you really need check valves in them?

Probably not, but I'm super paranoid about any sort of splash making its way into the lines, even if they're routed all the way under the hood. If they're going into the air filter, probably fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

incredibull posted:

Probably not, but I'm super paranoid about any sort of splash making its way into the lines, even if they're routed all the way under the hood. If they're going into the air filter, probably fine.
I figured that you'd route then into the snorkel, so the only way they could get flooded is if you were busy managing to hydraulic your engine, at which point the question of whether or not there's river water in your diff is rather moot.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Mopar tent trailers.

More info here: Edmunds.com

Except for the ridiculous price, I'd love to have one.

But, it made me look for other companies making something similar for cheaper and I found these: Tentrax

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Tentrax or adventure trailers will come pretty close to Jeeps price configured similarly.

I want one so goddamn bad.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Those tent trailers are really cool, but man what happens if you have them out on a trail and have to reverse up a hill or something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Tentrax or adventure trailers will come pretty close to Jeeps price configured similarly.

I want one so goddamn bad.

I wonder if that Jeep branded trailer is made OEM by Silver Eagle.

http://www.silvereaglemfg.com/company/about.shtml

They build a lot of military trailers, including a similar trailer for the H1 which ran around 10 grand or so.

One option is to get a military surplus M101 trailer and modify that. You can get those for a few hundred bucks.

I want to get a surplus M-1101 series trailer but they're pricey even in surplus, average price for a used model being around 2-3 grand or more. They're more in demand since it makes a great off road trailer for full size pickups [37" humvee wheels with trailing arm suspension]

The M-101's are a bargin though :)