Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Did photos for my pals here. Photos + fresh cornbread in exchange for cab fare and free cover to the show. Not a bad deal.

The lighting was a challenge but I am really happy with what I got here. I really feel as though I am making better and better work every time I go to a show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

indyrenegade posted:

Did photos for my pals here. Photos + fresh cornbread in exchange for cab fare and free cover to the show. Not a bad deal.

The lighting was a challenge but I am really happy with what I got here. I really feel as though I am making better and better work every time I go to a show!

Was this a chiptune show? Reminds me a lot of shows I've done here in Austin (well, when we still had an active scene anyway).

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

ReverendHammer posted:

Was this a chiptune show? Reminds me a lot of shows I've done here in Austin (well, when we still had an active scene anyway).

Was a general synth night! We have a handful of synth projects here and that night had 4 of them on the same bill.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm going to keep posting my music festival photos until somebody stops me.
Grace Clark at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Garrys at Ness Creek 2018-0006 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Garrys at Ness Creek 2018-0016 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mob Bounce at Ness Creek 2018-0001 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mob Bounce at Ness Creek 2018-0006 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mob Bounce at Ness Creek 2018-0011 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0001 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0013 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Another day, another set from the music festival
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0020 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0023 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0026 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Dead South at Ness Creek 2018-0027 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Megan Nash with Bears in Hazenmore at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Megan Nash with Bears in Hazenmore at Ness Creek 2018-0012 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Kobo Town at Ness Creek 2018-0008 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Sadies at Ness Creek 2018-0004 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Sadies at Ness Creek 2018-0007 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Sadies at Ness Creek 2018-0014 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

This set was pretty frustrating to edit for a number of reasons. But there's some good shots here and I got to see some friends I haven't seen in some time play in my state.

img457 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img476 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img477 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr
img480 by Rob Swackhamer Productions, on Flickr

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I am really liking this pic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ReverendHammer posted:

Me too. It took me a lot of staring to work out why the colours are the way they are across the whole photo.
Like 3 minutes of deliberately pondering why the area on the left is the same colour as his face. It's a very-out-of-focus back-of-head in the foreground.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

ReverendHammer posted:

ExecuDork posted:

Me too. It took me a lot of staring to work out why the colours are the way they are across the whole photo.
Like 3 minutes of deliberately pondering why the area on the left is the same colour as his face. It's a very-out-of-focus back-of-head in the foreground.

Thank you!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

ReverendHammer posted:

I have to disagree. While the back of the head can be an interesting composition element, the mic right in the middle of the mouth ruins it for me.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Non Serviam posted:

I have to disagree. While the back of the head can be an interesting composition element, the mic right in the middle of the mouth ruins it for me.

A large proportion of the badly focused frame is extremely retarded.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I brought my camera to the Bloodshed festival in Eindhoven a couple of weeks ago. Saw some great bands, met some nice people and bought some new black t-shirts. Here's some photos from the first day.

Une Misère

Yeah. He broke a foot

Friendship

Catharsis

Massgrav

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

HatJudge posted:

I brought my camera to the Bloodshed festival in Eindhoven a couple of weeks ago. Saw some great bands, met some nice people and bought some new black t-shirts. Here's some photos from the first day.

These are some pretty amazing shots. Especially that amp jump.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I shot a bellydance showcase a few weeks ago and only just finished editing all of the photos - there were over 2000 of them before I started culling and I got it down to just over 300 by the end (all of the performers want shots of their segment).

IMG_0118.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1389.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0732.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Had a photographer intentionally get in the way of my wife tonight while he was shooting a show we were at. He was the only guy who didn’t seem to care if he blocked concert goers to get his same looking shot as everyone else. Rest of the guys were top notch and were invisible. Don’t be that guy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

For some reason I never thought to poke around the art forum and on a whim found this thread. I feel like most of the time I go to shows I'm mainly interested in taking photos, so here's a little chunk of what I've been up to for awhile on a cheap phone/cheap early '00s digital cameras:

David Byrne:

Animal Collective play Sung Tongs:

Mike Patton with Dead Cross:

Boredoms:

The Cramps:

Kelela:

The Damned:

Earth:

Ween:

Deafheaven:

The Residents:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That David Byrne tour was loving incredible. But locally, he played a venue that I could never bring a proper camera into.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Had a photographer intentionally get in the way of my wife tonight while he was shooting a show we were at. He was the only guy who didn’t seem to care if he blocked concert goers to get his same looking shot as everyone else. Rest of the guys were top notch and were invisible. Don’t be that guy.

God, I hate that poo poo. Don't get in the way of the fans.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Also don’t use a flash in performers faces, we hate that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

ahahahah I will probably be judged like hell, but my friends took me to see twenty one pilots (I've never seen an arena show. Being at the foot of the stage in a 700 capacity venue is more my speed) and it was a loving blast. This is my favorite shot of the night, I like how the spotlight turned the dude into this weird white void.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Finally gad the chance to shoot a concert of one of my favorite groups. Makes the show that much better.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Shot a local metal festival over the weekend.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Closer, Hundreds of Au, Frail Body, Massa Nera, Herjaza by _oe _o_e_, on Flickr

I had a fun time shooting this show, not so fun a time editing them down.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

It's just long exposures with multiple flashes.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Lotta good stuff posted since I last checked this thread.

Shutter drag when shooting live shows can look amazing. I think it's a great way to capture the chaotic nature of a hardcore show. I've tried to do it myself, but I haven't been getting the results I'd like, so I tend to fall back on my regular mo. Speaking of which, here's some of my recent shots

PROBLEMS

Cyness

Kru$h

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Banging shot.

Goons, need your views. Galaxy brain poet or regular black? Wish so many poets didn't read from their phones these days but what can you do.

or

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I like the lines from Galaxy Brain, as for reading, it takes a lot of dedicated practice to recite your poems from memory and not a lot of us have that kind of time anymore.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Goons, need your views. Galaxy brain poet or regular black? Wish so many poets didn't read from their phones these days but what can you do.

Incoming effortpost

It's super hard to criticize other peoples work. I'm no authority, so putting into words why I like or dislike something is hard to do without feeling like I'm just another knobhead on the internet. It's easier to just give a heart or a thumbs up and keep scrolling.
When I first started taking photos I brought a bunch of pictures to my local photo club for critique, only to spend half an hour listening to well meaning older gentlemen telling me to clone out mic stands and add catch lights to the singers eyes. They asked if I had heard of Ansel Adams and his zone system, and advised me to strive to expose for every shade of grey rather than the hard contrasts in my pics. These were guys that would spend hours in their garden with a huge macro lens in order to get that one perfect shot of a bumblebee on a flower. Punk shows were alien to them. And their critique were not particularly helpful.

That said, I prefer the regular black. To my eye the galaxy brain looks like it's manufactured in post, rather than composed in camera. In my own photos I try to achieve a "run and gun" sort of feeling. I do very little post-processing. Crop, convert to black and white in Silver Efex, the occasional dodge and burn and add a little grain for good measure. So I like the regular one. Most likely because it looks like what I would've done.

I haven't got any experience with live poetry or photography of it, so to me the phone is whats important in the photo. That's what sets it apart and draws my attention. Not the lights.

Which one do you prefer?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

My philosophy on shooting live punk shows is "Does it feel the same as having been there?" I can't make a boring show look interesting, and a poetry slam is as far different energy than what I am used to. I would find this situation really really hard to shoot.

HatJudge posted:

...phone is whats important in the photo. That's what sets it apart and draws my attention. Not the lights.

All i can hope to say is that you stand to the right of the poet the next time you shoot a poetry slam so you dont have to worry about their phones taking up a lot of the frame. It's taking a lot of my attention the second time I'm looking at this photo.
I cant really offer a lot of criticism without knowing what intentions you had when shooting, since I'm more used to offering the "do you think I got what I was after" kind.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

The Modern Sky posted:

My philosophy on shooting live punk shows is "Does it feel the same as having been there?"

This was really how I went about my concert work. And to a degree it could be applied to live performances in general with some adjustments for personal style. But poo poo like cloning out mic stands and what not? That goes against the point of capturing a live event in the first place.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Thanks so much guys for the effortposts. Honestly I've been having a big think about what you guys are saying and you're right, I came out of the punk scene myself and more than anything I'd like to capture the energy of a performance.

I think that's best served by this photo. Even though it may not have interesting bokeh and all that jazz it's probably the closest I came to freezing this woman's performance. Thanks all. Valuable lessons being handed out in the Dorkroom as always!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was kinda hampered by being in the crowd on my phone, but here's a couple of fun shots from this year's Desert Daze festival:

The Flaming Lips:

The Locust:

Ween:

George Clanton:

Bonus not a great shot but gently caress yeah Devo:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Had a double header with a punk-rock band and a more pop-electro group who I've shot once and she's without a doubt the most fun artist I've shot.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Man, it's been a while since I've done some concert stuff. But considering Descendants of Erdrick had their tenth anniversary show and I've been hanging around them for damned near nine years... yeah, needed to get some photos.

DSCF0445 by Make Them Awesome, on Flickr
DSCF0517 by Make Them Awesome, on Flickr
DSCF0571 by Make Them Awesome, on Flickr
DSCF0610 by Make Them Awesome, on Flickr
DSCF0651 by Make Them Awesome, on Flickr
DSCF0733 by Make Them Awesome, on Flickr

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
A few from Roskilde Festival last year

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 2, 2020

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This weekend the local council organised a beer / BBQ / music festival, presumably to jump-start regional tourism as well as showing off to the rest of the world that here in Australia we can do live music in this time of covid. Mostly very local bands and plenty of covers. Still, it was great to get out, have some good food and good drinks and just mingle at a small but real festival. Narry a mask to be seen, but the gate security was more concerned with everyone checking in with the New South Wales tracking app than with tickets.

I'm blaming the quality on my lack of practice, as well as the really excellent local microbrews I was drinking.
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 01 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 05 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 07 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 09 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I am so loving excited to be buying concert tickets again ... I think it might be time to seek press-passes again for the first time in like 5+ years