Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have spent the latter part of the evening reading the works of Hiyori Otsu that I hadn't before. It's some pretty solid yuri. Also Otomodachi kara Hajimemashou (same author), which isn't currently yuri, but might be before all is said and done, and is good either way. I listened to the Chihayafuru OSTs while reading, and that worked pretty well.

Following my lead in this would be far from a poor decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

I started reading this one and stopped to wait for more chapters, but it looked like a good one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've read some of Hiyori Otsu's stuff but can't remember anything about them. :/

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

kaworu posted:

I really want to find anything Asou Kai has written that's been scanlated, because as far as I can tell this is her only licensed work, which is really a shame because it's that good.

Sono Mama de is very good. Long-term unrequited crush becomes requited, I think they're in their mid-20s. I think the rest of her stuff is at the very least decent, but this one I particularly remember.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Akatsuki no Yona 99 (and an extra chapter)

Hoooooly poo poo :f5:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Ohhhh myyyy gooood. :f5: I wish the next chapter would come out right now.

Jae-Ha's backstory though... :(

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The final chapter of Taiyou no Ie.

At least I assume considering the comment at the end.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I've been avoiding house of the sun cause it wasn't finished but now that it is. Will I get a happy ending or what? I'm tired of reading poo poo that just results in the opposite.

actually from what I've seen form going through this thread from the beginning, is there any happiness to be had at all from this manga?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is a very happy manga, and I recommend it heartily.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Terper posted:

The original ending was pretty solid but yeah this is an even better send-off. What a wonderful series.

Leper Residue posted:

I've been avoiding house of the sun cause it wasn't finished but now that it is. Will I get a happy ending or what? I'm tired of reading poo poo that just results in the opposite.

actually from what I've seen form going through this thread from the beginning, is there any happiness to be had at all from this manga?
A lot of the drama will hit hard, since it's more about various issues with family rather than romance, but most/all of the various plotlines have :unsmith: resolutions.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
The art is so happy and fluffy that a lot of the drama doesn't hit all that hard imo.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Leper Residue posted:

There are sad bits but it is still one of the happiest and most optimistic manga I've ever read.

Man that was such a good send off chapter too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i didn't like the main romance

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's fine, I don't think you need to to enjoy Taiyou no Ie.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Davincie posted:

i didn't like the main romance

Same, but Mao's step-mom being a Cool Mom made up for it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is a story about family that has romance in it, not a romance with a story about family in it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Maaaaan this color page really makes me want an anime. Especially if they kept that water color look, like Wandering Son's anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

:unsmith: That was a great ending.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Terper posted:

CUTE AND GOOD

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate finding something incredibly good and knowing that it's barely getting started.

Koimonogatari by Tohru Tagura

quote:

Hasegawa Yuiji accidentally finds out that his classmate, Yoshinaga Yamato, is gay. Eventually, he realises Yamato’s gaze is directed towards an unattainable love. From a study group together Yuiji finds out that Yamato is a “pretty nice guy,” and despite his awkwardness, starts wishing for his happiness...
2 chapter so far but they're at least nice and long. At this point it feels more like slice of life with a friendship developing between the two leads vs a romance although it's kind of obvious that it'll get to that point eventually. The slow burn is pretty great though and the interaction between the group of friends feels really natural. The first chapter is more from Hasegawa's POV but the second one switches to Yamato and you get more of his thoughts and all of the stress and anxiety he's feeling. It's really good. According to the person scanning it, volume 1 will have 4 chapters and there are a total of 6 published (apparently 5 and 6 are drastically shorter too), with a total plan for 3 volumes to complete it.

I was looking for more by the same author so I read Haikei, Niisan-sama despite it being an incest story and it was completely heartbreaking. I'm not going to recommend it beyond this single mention because well, incest, but if you aren't put off by that it's worth reading.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol the new chapter of shinozaki is good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol

I've been on a Junko binge the past couple of days. Would love to own a copy of Konbini-kun but :lol: at paying $100 for one.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

lol

I've been on a Junko binge the past couple of days. Would love to own a copy of Konbini-kun but :lol: at paying $100 for one.

Keep your eye on Amazon, I've seen the price go down to $12 or so on two separate occasions in the last few months. I bought a second copy on one of those occasions and put it up as an auction on eBay and it only *actually* sold for about $50 after about 10 bids or so. I have a hard time believing people would *actually* pay $100 for a copy. I'm hanging on to my last one though, Nakaba is way too drat adorable of a character. Also, shounen-ai that feels like it's written about real teenagers (like yaoi that feels like it's written about real adults) is altogether too rare, unfortunately. I really need to get 'round to reading some of her other stuff, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cake Attack posted:

lol the new chapter of shinozaki is good

It was entertaining. Is there anything else like this series? I find it funny without the humor getting too grating.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

kaworu posted:

Keep your eye on Amazon, I've seen the price go down to $12 or so on two separate occasions in the last few months.

Good to know, I'll keep watching it. It's one of my favorites that I've re-read enough that I'd really like to have a physical copy.

Kiss Him, Not Me is on Crunchyroll and is really cute if you haven't read it and like shoujo stuff. A fat fujoshi loses a bunch of weight and gets a harem, it's funny and silly but also has the usual Junko heart-squeezing moments and gorgeous art.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New Hana and Hina After School
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_and_hina_after_school_ch04#1

Hana you dummy

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

It was entertaining. Is there anything else like this series? I find it funny without the humor getting too grating.

I don't know if it will grate you, but The Real Her and Yurika's Campus Life are both funny and fun, storywise. The jokes are mainly about lesbian sex in those, so a different tone than Shinozaki.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't know if it will grate you, but The Real Her and Yurika's Campus Life are both funny and fun, storywise. The jokes are mainly about lesbian sex in those, so a different tone than Shinozaki.

Yurika's Campus Life had me laughing so I'll check out the other one later. Thanks!

EDIT: The Real Her was funny too. I also liked the hell out of that Hana and Hina series.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 17, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

The Real Her is pretty good and just got updated 4 days ago after like a year of radio silence. I don't know what the gently caress happened with the foot on page 15, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yuri Mekuru Hibi is the best yuri comedy going.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Sakurazuka posted:

Yuri Mekuru Hibi is the best yuri comedy going.

Kinda sad it updates so infrequently. Manages to avoid getting outright gross like some of the other comedy-focused yuri series. Definitely up there with Real Her and Shinozaki.

I've been enjoying A Kiss And A White Lily, it manages to be goofy/funny sometimes. (The Kurosawa/Shiramine chapters are borderline at times, but the rest of it is harmless.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Kiss and the White Lily is good when it focuses on the main couple but seems to meander off and focus on side characters I don't care about at all for multiple chapters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kaelan Zero posted:

Manages to avoid getting outright gross like some of the other comedy-focused yuri series.

In this kind of context what counts as gross?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't call it gross but the main character of Yurika's Campus Life not being gay and just seducing girls to get what she wants never really sat very well with me.
Something like Virgin's Empire having too much fanservice is the only other thing I can think of really.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sakurazuka posted:

I wouldn't call it gross but the main character of Yurika's Campus Life not being gay and just seducing girls to get what she wants never really sat very well with me.
Something like Virgin's Empire having too much fanservice is the only other thing I can think of really.

I mean, for an ostensibly straight girl she gets pretty enthusiastic about the idea of seducing women as a solution to all her problems by a few issues in, to the point where she's striking poses and making proud declarations of her intent to achieve victory and it basically becomes a shounen fighting manga with lesbian sex instead of fighting.

Virgins' Empire I was scared away from just based on the vibe I got from the title and description, though: good to know I'm not missing much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, the titles dumb but it's just a not very funny comedy with some panty shots. I've never mentioned it because it's not very good rather than any creep factor.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

same. I think I got to like chapter 3 before I was like, eh

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That joke sort of recedes after a few chapters, but it doesn't get replaced by anything groundbreaking in terms of manga humor. It is well-written and the art is very goofy though.

And I hope Yuru Meburu Hibi goes on for 100 more chapters.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 17, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wow Sekine's Love finally got a new chapter; sorry for linking to that site but it's the only place I can find it right now. More traumatic childhood flashbacks :(

edit: also I forgot how frustrating this is to read sometimes, goddamn both of you get your heads out of your asses.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

in the new berry dynamite: assholes, once again