Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Thanks for all the feedback, actually I was mostly just curious what's out there nowadays and what people use/do. I'm not really that unhappy with the old tools to be honest and like some features of them even though I guess the programs themselves can be considered archaic just like their platform. Even though I'm also playing around with programming and want to use some of the painted pixels in my projects I don't really plan to make a living out of all of this and me painting pixelstuff is more to be considered "therapeutic" if anything, so a really efficient workflow is not that important. Some of the named ones do look really interesting though and have some nice features, especially Swankypaint/Pyxel. I'll look into them, doesn't hurt to play around. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
I use a mouse and a combination of Photoshop and Construct 2's built in MSpaint-alike. Right now my stuff is super simple and low resolution, so I basically work pixel by pixel. I recently picked up a tablet, so I'll be trying out freehand in the future.

...working on getting a menu for the PC port.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Here, have some sort of dragon/lizard thing:

More of an exercise in trying to get sub-pixeling down than anything else.

I've got a bunch of other stuff, humanoid attack + idle animations but they're so wip that it's not worth posting them yet.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...

Ash Crimson posted:

I've got a bunch of other stuff, humanoid attack + idle animations but they're so wip that it's not worth posting them yet.

I'm no expert, but I think some of the elements are too synchronised, maybe try offsetting the blink or tongue waggle?

Fake edit: Hope you don't mind, but I gave it a go myself, offset the blink, and offset the anim times on the pose holds. I also split one of the holds and added a pixel change on the tail.

Like I said, I'm no expert :)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Ash Crimson posted:

The tongue being synced up with the body's up and down motion is the most distracting part for me. Try giving it a bit of drag by offsetting it so that the tongue is down (licking its chin) while the body is on its way up, and straight out when the body is dropping back down.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for the critique and edits, Christo and Aneurexorcyst, i really appreciate them!

I'll implement the changes you both recommended and will edit this post and link it when i'm done!

For the time being here's uh, some generic idle human animations (tried going the breathing/subpixelling route rather than the dancy route i did before):

I confess the anatomy still leaves ALOT to be desired, but i have tried simplifying some of it.

Also here's some random stuff + pokemon, because god knows all i ever do is this unit stuff:

Back to lurking!

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Looking a lot better!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hey Pixel-Art thread!

I'm looking for a pixel artist to do a commission, is this an appropriate place to post details other than SA-Mart or should I just make a post there?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I'd say post here as well as SA mart.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Okay then!

SA-Mart thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768820&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I'm looking for a pixel-artist to do a job for a new twitch stream, I will either pay for your services, or give you a dedicated panel on the main page of the channel with credit/name linked to your portfolio/site (or both!)

I'm looking for just a few things: Pixel stylized profile picture, offline image using that same image and panel images (mostly text, but in the same style). Big plus if you do any animation!

If you'd like to know more or show off your work, please shoot me an email/gchat at aylesworth @ google's mail service, or a PM here.

If things take off, this could be an ongoing contract.

Thanks!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Some WIP stuff! Colours are a bit gloomy atm though

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Shoehead posted:

Some WIP stuff! Colours are a bit gloomy atm though

something something plenty of fish in the sea

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19594.0

Glossary of pixel art terms

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

More work!

Edit: ugh my buildings are too loving plain

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 21, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Decided to dive into pixel art, and made my very first little thing, a B-17 bomber for a game I'm working on.

For my first attempt, I think it came out okay! I made it at something like 64x32, and upscaled it to 256x128. I tried to make a version at 256x128 using a 1 pixel brush, but it came out looking... non-pixel-y? Do most people do something small and upscale it? Or start out with a larger canvas AND a larger (~4px) brush?

Gonna try and do a little piece a day, that way I get better AND put a dent in the art assets for the project I'm working on!

edit-- banged out little Me109 and Fw190 German fighters to go with my American bomber :3: this is a lot of fun.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 23, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And for my non-game related daily thing, I made a little 32x32 Saitama

I figured his head would be good for shading practice. Shading is my weakest area for sure, and this was a lot more fun than just doing a static ball or something.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 23, 2016

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Started sketching out some pixel versions of this here fellow. It's still waaay off from how it looks in my mind though but at least I'm making some progress >_>

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Today's Pixel Daily is the Addam's Family.

(Ignore the flickering palette color)

Hope nobody minds me dumping all my stuff here, this thread doesn't seem very active...

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 24, 2016

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Please do, it makes the thread active and promotes more material being posted :shobon:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
:justpost:

:getin:

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

So some token art that should be going up for sale soon. printing low-rez pixel art is always a tricky business but im happy with how these turned out

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Might be getting into a DnD campaign soon, so I decided to make my character a little avatar thingy. Shiv Nukkson, Orc Bard. I'll print it out and laminate it later, maybe mount it on a coin or something.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 26, 2016

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Been loving w some 1 bit pixels for the heck of it. Tricky but really fun to mess around with, can recommend.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I made a couple of fonts

the chaos engine posted:

Been loving w some 1 bit pixels for the heck of it. Tricky but really fun to mess around with, can recommend.

Great work, and the off-white is a nice touch

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

the chaos engine posted:

ive been digging the progress shots of this on twitter - it's not Arduboy compatible is it?

i've been kind of working on making a tamagochi-like in it :
https://twitter.com/modernmodron/status/703302410215645185

McKilligan posted:

Might be getting into a DnD campaign soon, so I decided to make my character a little avatar thingy. Shiv Nukkson, Orc Bard. I'll print it out and laminate it later, maybe mount it on a coin or something.
there's nothing about this that I don't absolutely love. You might be losing a bit of definition in the boots - the brown/black doesn't show up great on my monitor

Old Man Mozz fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 25, 2016

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

McKilligan posted:

A rock-a-billy orc bard is the best thing I have seen in a while.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Lowen SoDium posted:

A rock-a-billy orc bard is the best thing I have seen in a while.

It's like they had Orcs in mind when they made the bard class. Skills that let me straight up intimidate and debuff entire groups? Check. Insult so hard they deal actual damage? Check. Slam down a power chord so loving righteous that it knocks everything away and deals thunder damage? check.

Eventually they can even summon clouds of daggers and heat metal to red-hot temperatures by rocking the gently caress out, or just straight up shatter motherfuckers with sound. That might be more 'metal' than rockabilly, but Shiv Nukkson is a man of many talents.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Soupy Sales

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Second iteration (left), still not content with it. Pixels' hard business >_<

Also, I do not know how bears run so here's a bear being a.. gazelle..?

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 27, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Decided to make sprites for the rest of our party too - dropped them on top of an old pixel background I whipped up years ago.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

McKilligan posted:

Decided to make sprites for the rest of our party too - dropped them on top of an old pixel background I whipped up years ago.

I don't know much about pixel art, but that's really awesome.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

McKilligan posted:

That dwarf rules

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
One more - this is going to be the boss, though I think I'll make some changes tomorrow.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

McKilligan posted:

One more - this is going to be the boss, though I think I'll make some changes tomorrow.

Holy poo poo

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

McKilligan posted:

P.S. I love it.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Imaginary Friend posted:

Second iteration (left), still not content with it. Pixels' hard business >_<

Also, I do not know how bears run so here's a bear being a.. gazelle..?

I really like your color palette.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Made a few more gobbos today - talked to my DM, and the main baddy is 'Captain Kid', so had to rework him a little.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
You could do a forum CYOA with this.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Scut posted:

You could do a forum CYOA with this.

That brings back memories - like 7 years ago I did one of those - 'World War Goon' (see my av)- was waaayyy too much work, but pretty fun. Maybe once I'm through my current projects...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Ok guys I think I've finally finished this.

Click for HUGE