Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mikerock posted:

If that was Scout she would be trying to eat the scroll wheel or tearing off the keys on the keyboard. Desk time is not chill out time.
God I'm glad I can trust Alexis around my keyboard and cables.

He just ignores them, trying to find his way either back to me or find food.

EDIT: can't start a new page without a bird picture!

EDIT2: this is kind of amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IozQVUH_txI
Go to 5:55 and watch how amazingly gentle and patient this macaw is :stare:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Video game copilot. It's hard to see but he's standing only on his left foot, all his weight's on my mouse wrist. :3:

This is too adorable.

I'm worried about Jack. He has started insisting on being in his cage with it mostly covered all day and screeches at the top of his lungs if he doesn't get his way. But as soon as the cage is covered he makes his haply cuddly noises and I'm just worried he's become a hermit or something :ohdear:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Maybe he's just horny and hormonal?

And my birds can't be trusted anywhere near electronics. Everything that I bring home that the tiels haven't seen before is a death device except keyboards. They immediately identify them as keyboards and start ripping them apart. It actually makes me wonder if they're smart enough to understand that everything clicky and in that shape regardless of size and color is a keyboard.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 10, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve only seems to go for cables, neither of them pay attention to the keyboards, save for one time where Ohtori very deliberately walked up and ripped off a key because he was being ignored. Ohtori also gets furious at the tablet pen for whatever reason.

Speaking of Steve, he was sat on my knee while I was having dinner, and for some reason decided to jump straight into my baked beans and just stand there in confusion until he was picked up and removed. His toes are all stained orange now.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

I like to tell Leeloo I'm going to put her head in my mouth. Today she stopped struggling and just let me do it. Truly I have broken her spirit.

:3:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I showed my wife this pic from the cute pics thread in PYF:

She said we have to get another bird.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mikerock posted:

I showed my wife this pic from the cute pics thread in PYF:

She said we have to get another bird.

Oh my god.

I really wonder if my next bird should be another conure instead of an Amazon or Eclectus.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So Simon is being difficult and I need a bit of training advice. I spent an hour today telling him to poop when he was in his cage to no avail. The bottom of his cage only has one spot of poop on it since he has mainly been pooping at his playpen. Whenever he is in his cage he just holds it in until I take him out and take him to his playpen. Then he poops whenever I tell him to, so he understands what poop means. Whenever I take him out he always takes a massive poop that he has been holding in the entire time that he was in his cage so it is obvious that he has to poop, he just refuses to unless he is at his playpen, or on the carpet walking around.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ta33bMB70

Whenever I see cute corvid videos, it takes all my willpower to not Get A Crow/Raven.
like..parrots playing..cool. A badass crow doing its own version of snow sledding? -omfg-

it rolls and tumbles :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Anybody who's never had a pet corvid is missing out. :shobon:

e: that fuckin conure pic. <3 <3 <3 <3

double e: jadebullet, setting aside the fact that conures don't poop where they sleep (anecdotally: Amadeus never poops in my bed where we take naps together, or in the corner of his cage that houses his happy hut), birds as a whole try not to give away their homes to predators. Wild birds, apparently, hold their droppings until they're away from the branches where they spend the night, and mothers dispose of their babies' refuse away from the nests. It's very likely that, as a new pet, he's just trying to protect himself. Once he realizes he's safe and won't be leading predators to his sleeping self if he defecates in the cage, I imagine it'll resolve itself.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 11, 2013

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Does anybody have any titles of documentaries about conures in the wild? I find myself quite interested to find out where their behavour comes from, what species were specifically bred like that and what occur naturally, etc.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sekkira posted:

Does anybody have any titles of documentaries about conures in the wild? I find myself quite interested to find out where their behavour comes from, what species were specifically bred like that and what occur naturally, etc.

None of them have been bred,they are all naturally occurring species. That's what is so amazing about bird ownership, you're getting a wild animal to love you.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Kenshin posted:

None of them have been bred,they are all naturally occurring species. That's what is so amazing about bird ownership, you're getting a wild animal to hate you adorably.

ftfy

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Anybody who's never had a pet corvid is missing out. :shobon:

e: that fuckin conure pic. <3 <3 <3 <3

double e: jadebullet, setting aside the fact that conures don't poop where they sleep (anecdotally: Amadeus never poops in my bed where we take naps together, or in the corner of his cage that houses his happy hut), birds as a whole try not to give away their homes to predators. Wild birds, apparently, hold their droppings until they're away from the branches where they spend the night, and mothers dispose of their babies' refuse away from the nests. It's very likely that, as a new pet, he's just trying to protect himself. Once he realizes he's safe and won't be leading predators to his sleeping self if he defecates in the cage, I imagine it'll resolve itself.

Loo will fly to our other bird's cage and poo poo there. I know she probably doesn't understand the concept of 'revenge' but in the back of my head I'm like, yeah, you are totally pooping on Roo because she hates your face.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Pichu when she was younger :3:

I socialized her and introduced her to a lot of stuff when she was young. Doesnt matter, hates everything now :downs:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is Pichu a cinnamon tiel? She's the same light shade of gray that Elle is

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

i never thought about it but...I suppose she is

Cinnamon split to pied, she has the yellow spots behind her crest

i always think of pichus colour as the normal female tiel colour..dunno why. Then I see a normal girl and they are so uggo :3: but cute. And I love how lovely male cockatiel faces look, so vibrant! too bad bart is broken as well and has missing feathers.

My favourite colors the white face male but I dont need another stupid derpbird. right? ... :(

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

jadebullet, setting aside the fact that conures don't poop where they sleep (anecdotally: Amadeus never poops in my bed where we take naps together, or in the corner of his cage that houses his happy hut), birds as a whole try not to give away their homes to predators. W

GUESS WHO DOESN'T GIVE A poo poo ABOUT WHERE HE POOPS, FINN DOESN'T! I love taking bird naps and Marshall and Marci don't poop in the bed but Finn just shits everywhere ughh. Let's talk about poop for a second - My conure experience is that they usually have round(ish) solid(ish) poops that all you have to do is touch it to a papertowel and it comes up clean with like maybe a tiny dot of white left. Meanwhile, Finn takes mostly liquid shits and it sucks to clean up. Do all bird species have different kinds of poop? I can't remember what cockatiel poop looks like but I remember it being liquidy too.

...poop chaaaaaaaat~

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Cockatiel crap is like conure crap, but smaller, and budgie crap is smaller still. While some of them can be liquidy, that's usually a sign of illness.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

This is why we love our local bird store.

This gal was 2.5 months old, and was too babyderpy to sit on the perch like the older birds, so she was just putting around in the cedar, making noises and being super cute and cuddly.

It took like 20 minutes to stop the cuddlefest and get these guys back to their perches.

Here's a crimson bellied conure and a green cheek not giving a single poo poo about a giant catalina macaw (also 2.5-3 months old) being a rowdy baby about 5 inches from them. You can also see the scarlet baby, and a moluccan baby in the background. Last time we were there, the moluccan was babyderps trying to hide under cedar chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnzTLu84Q3Q

Almost every bird they had out today was under 5mo old. There were a gaggle of 4 rainbow loris, a meyer's parrot, 2 peach headed caiques (seen below), the catalina, crimson and a blue throated macaw, an illiger's macaw, a lesser sulfur crested 'too, a couple bare eyes (who are older) the bin-o-derps and the lovebirds.

Ugh, I wish I were rich and days were 100 hours long. I'd buy them all.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

GCC poops are pretty pleasant, to my surprise when I got Cody.
I look at sun conure poops and disapprove. and big parrot poops, like Greys. bird splatters!!!

My birds only get liquidy poops after a shower or when they are terrified.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Simon's poops range from solid, to liquid and nasty depending on if I gave him an apple slice or not. So far he doesn't seem to care too much about walnuts but he really loves apples. I think I found my clicker treat for him.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori = all his poos seem to be different due to the range of stuff he eats. Quite wet, often splatters.

Steve = small, round, white/green poop that tends to roll off things. Fairly dry.

Malalol posted:

Pichu when she was younger :3:

Ffffff look at her in that little flight suit/harness. :3: And yes, I'm afaid you do need another stupid derp bird, the conures are gaining superiority.

That place looks amazing and is added to the list of places to visit if/when we get over there. Have there ever been any Blue-throated conures in there?

jadebullet posted:

Simon's poops range from solid, to liquid and nasty depending on if I gave him an apple slice or not. So far he doesn't seem to care too much about walnuts but he really loves apples. I think I found my clicker treat for him.

Try cashews, mine goes crazy for them, only thing better for him is kabanos.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

my conure doesnt like nuts wtffffff

peanuts
walnuts
nuts
nuts

nooo

likes seeds

>:I

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Malalol posted:

my conure doesnt like nuts wtffffff

peanuts
walnuts
nuts
nuts

nooo

likes seeds

>:I

What do your cockatiels like? Steve ignores sunflower seeds but apparently loves Cheerios, groats, and saline solution (?!).

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

hahaha saline

Pichu's crack is cooked rice... like..she'll inhale a giant pile of it if I give it to her. I have a picture of her nibbling on mice back when I was doing wildlife rehab O_o .. and she loved chasing mealworms/superworms. gross. and various bugs.
Bart likes popcorn..I think..hes not super food motivated.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Mindo's poop generally resembles whatever he's been eating. If blueberries go in, blueberry baby food is going to come out about 10-15 minutes later. Melon tends to make things pretty wet, while carrot makes it drier. Generally, it's not too bad, but if he is eating fruits that stain, like blueberries, cherries, or blackberries, what comes out the other end stains as well, which is why I had to reupholster our dining room chairs.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Hey Bird Crazies. I wish I had happy pictures to offer you, but I don’t really have any new ones. A crime, I know.

My life has taken an unfortunate turn and soon I won’t be able to afford to keep Ivan. Or at least, keep him happy and healthy. I am fortunate enough that I do have a bit of warning, so I am looking into finding a good home for my favorite little feathered fury while I have that luxury.

Does anyone have experience in rehoming a one-person bird? I am concerned that he will take the change so drastically that it will impact his health. If I can find a good person that he gets attached to that would be ideal, but I am not confident in my ability to find one by myself.

I am aware of bird sanctuaries and volunteered at one for a long time, but I am concerned that I would have no say in who takes Ivan. He is aggressive at times and although I can handle that, I am afraid that a sanctuary may place him with someone unprepared for the reality that even small parrots can have a serious bite.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

From what I've observed in general, I find huge and small parrots (and birds, as long they're not predatory of each other, I'd assume) get along just fine if they're out in the open.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Caiques hnnnnnnnnnnn :3: so adorable. I moved JJs toys, tying a couple of them together with each other and shes now all OMG BEST THING EVER and thinks theyre all new toys.

Fake edit: paging teeka to birdpoop chat.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Chaosfeather posted:

Hey Bird Crazies. I wish I had happy pictures to offer you, but I don’t really have any new ones. A crime, I know.

My life has taken an unfortunate turn and soon I won’t be able to afford to keep Ivan. Or at least, keep him happy and healthy. I am fortunate enough that I do have a bit of warning, so I am looking into finding a good home for my favorite little feathered fury while I have that luxury.

Does anyone have experience in rehoming a one-person bird? I am concerned that he will take the change so drastically that it will impact his health. If I can find a good person that he gets attached to that would be ideal, but I am not confident in my ability to find one by myself.

I am aware of bird sanctuaries and volunteered at one for a long time, but I am concerned that I would have no say in who takes Ivan. He is aggressive at times and although I can handle that, I am afraid that a sanctuary may place him with someone unprepared for the reality that even small parrots can have a serious bite.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about people who rehome their birds, only to find them for sale on craigslist a month or two later. As strange as it may seem, there are bird "flippers" out there, posing as loving homes for rehomed birds, then selling them for a profit. Make sure you have a contract with whomever you give the bird to that if they cannot keep the bird, they will offer it back to you before they are allowed to give/sell it to anyone else. Even if you don't want to give your bird to the sanctuary, they may be a good resource for you with advice about how to rehome your bird to someone who will love Ivan and apperciate his challenges.

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

What do your cockatiels like? Steve ignores sunflower seeds but apparently loves Cheerios, groats, and saline solution (?!).

I just got my navel pierced and I've been soaking it in saline. Every time Oliver runs over and jams his beak under the rim of the glass so water floods out and he can drink that sweet sweet salty water. It's not just your bird, I guess! My cat likes it too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So Ritz has been super scared of my girlfriend for the past three days, she had some red nail polish on which seemed to scare him (but has since removed it) and now he's still acting weird. Any ideas as what could cause this aside from the polish?

Nothing new, no new behaviors, no toys, bags in the living room, brooms, bookshelves or anything else that might spook him.

When I'm around he's ok with her now, but he used to love her. I'm not allowed to give him scritches, only her. However, he would snuggle on my shoulder for me not for her, but now he's not letting her get close to him.

Any ideas?

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006

SaNChEzZ posted:

So Ritz has been super scared of my girlfriend for the past three days, she had some red nail polish on which seemed to scare him (but has since removed it) and now he's still acting weird. Any ideas as what could cause this aside from the polish?

Nothing new, no new behaviors, no toys, bags in the living room, brooms, bookshelves or anything else that might spook him.

When I'm around he's ok with her now, but he used to love her. I'm not allowed to give him scritches, only her. However, he would snuggle on my shoulder for me not for her, but now he's not letting her get close to him.

Any ideas?

It seems like Ritz has developed a case of adult onset cockatieliosis. Prognosis is derp.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Tadhg Dall posted:

I just got my navel pierced and I've been soaking it in saline. Every time Oliver runs over and jams his beak under the rim of the glass so water floods out and he can drink that sweet sweet salty water. It's not just your bird, I guess! My cat likes it too.

My bird just tries to drink my tears(when I yawn or something)

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
How come the Japanese have the cutest pet videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDOKboG5OSA

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Any ideas?

It was almost certainly the nail polish. Give him a little bit to calm down, he'll go back to normal. Every time I get a new shade I have to kiss my fingers and show all the birds that nothing's wrong with my fingers before they relax. Ritz would probably act similarly if she were to cut or color her hair. Though, oddly, all the birds seemed to like my hair MORE when I dyed it bright red. They must be a fan of bright plumage :D

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Amaya posted:

It was almost certainly the nail polish. Give him a little bit to calm down, he'll go back to normal. Every time I get a new shade I have to kiss my fingers and show all the birds that nothing's wrong with my fingers before they relax. Ritz would probably act similarly if she were to cut or color her hair. Though, oddly, all the birds seemed to like my hair MORE when I dyed it bright red. They must be a fan of bright plumage :D

My hair is dyed bright red and I've yet to meet a bird that cared. :)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh for crying out loud. Hannah they Grey did his first performance of Green Cheek Conure sounds for us tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Kenshin posted:

My hair is dyed bright red and I've yet to meet a bird that cared. :)

No, it's more like the sudden change of plumage is terrifying.