Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Railtus posted:

Another interesting thing I have come across that indirectly touches on the subject is the military effectiveness of maroons and Africans resisting the slave trade. I do not have my sources with me at the moment, but during a study of English colonial expansion, the journals and logs of early attempted slave-trading voyages by the English sometimes mention attempting to raid the coastline and take slaves that way… and the accounts did not go into detail on the fighting but they summarise the results with typically something along the lines of “we were driven off, with some of our crew dead, and we took no captives to show for it.”

Never mind that, there were maroons (escaped, free slaves) even in the New World, specifically Jamaica, who were enough of a handful that they were never re-enslaved. These guys -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_Maroons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

HEY GAL posted:

are you ok with stuff from like 400 years later? because the early modern period was all about superstitions, and some of that poo poo was used in war

Go ahead. Weird folk beliefs and unstable firearms sound like a great combination.

Railtus posted:

I hope that helps.

They're exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bendigeidfran posted:

Go ahead. Weird folk beliefs and unstable firearms sound like a great combination.

Let me tell you why a .22LR bullet is so deadly...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
OK, here's a thing I did way back in the other thread on a book from 1915 on military superstitions.
Introduction and protecting yourself with magic:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=119#post427667492
How to shoot better:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=120#post427760753
Healing, 1:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=121#post427789153
Healing, 2:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=121#post427790360

Edit: I found magic in the things I read myself twice. The first time is where a pair of soldiers were fighting in a bar and the barkeep poured a little beer on the table to make them stop fighting. He called it "Tischhalt." The second time was in a copy of a letter an officer wrote to his friend when he deserted:

The little circles on the bottom of the left page/top of the right page are bullets, and there's a little arrow on the top of the right page too. The text says something like "Let this [circles] and this [arrow] not touch you," so I think it's a form of sympathetic magic.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 19, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a site to buy a replica functioning crossbow in the US? My friends have always shot guns and the other day someone had an actual bow; made me wonder why I don't own something stranger than Curio&Replica firearms. I've looked a few sites online but the prices vary widely and I have no clue about the quality. All of my crossbow knowledge comes from Dungeon and Dragons but I'd be looking for something easily handled by a person on foot, not a siege crossbow, and something of European design, I understand the Chinese were pretty fond of crossbows but that's not what I would be looking for (for my first crossbow :ohdear:)

Also as a note I'm not buying a real bow because I'm so bad at them and I disgust myself.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Jack B Nimble posted:

.... not a siege crossbow, and something of European design, I understand the Chinese were pretty fond of crossbows but that's not what I would be looking for (for my first crossbow :ohdear:)

Also as a note I'm not buying a real bow because I'm so bad at them and I disgust myself.

You don't want an european crossbow and not a chinese one? What's left then? I have a friend who makes italian crossbows, and I can ask around who makes german replicas

They start at 500€, the cranequin costs about the same, this one here has 350#. It's a replica of a hunting crossbow from a museum in Milan or something. This dude here wanted "a medieval crossbow", but not a real medieval crossbow:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've been vaguely meaning to get a medieval crossbow from New World Arbalest for almost two decades now, and at one point unknowingly lived within walking distance of his house in Austin and never dropped by. It's still been on my to-do list if I can catch him while he's still in the business, just just five minutes ago I ran across this and I must say I'm tempted in a new direction now:

I don't get it. They cost about the same and you get some watered down poo poo.

Chinese crossbows are different, the prods are almost the size of real bows. I've seen few people cast the mechanism, so it would be hard to get a real one.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

I don't get it. They cost about the same and you get some watered down poo poo.
wool that's been dyed according to 16th century recipes also costs about the same as modern stuff, it's nuts

edit: and the dude wants a European crossbow, the clause where s/he says that is separated from "not a siege crossbow."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 19, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I write badly. I didn't want a siege crossbow, but did want something of European design. I basically want the most generic 'realistic reproduction' crossbow out there which to me would be something European. And really I say middle ages but it's not like I would turn my nose up at something that looks like a crossbow from the ancient near east or china or you know what just a crossbow, any man portable crossbow designed to be used on the battlefield that I could actually shoot at an archery target. Looking to spend about 500 bucks or less, there.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
New World Arbalest for the fastfood version or Enrico Lazzari on FB for the real thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The McDonalds of crossbows looks like it's going to be perfect, thank you.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey so after going to a renfaire recently I developed an interest in procuring a sword for myself, of the kind which could potentially be used to hit things (potentially one day including other swords) without falling apart and which isn't marked up 500% to bilk nerdy rubes wearing sparkly dragon capes. The main problem I'm having at the moment is that I have no confidence in my ability to tell actual good value from bullshit at present. Could someone here set me up with a link to a good supplier's website where I could window-shop for a while and work up the nerve to make a really irresponsible purchase? tia

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
swords are not an irresponsible purchase, op, thanks and god bless

what is your price range

darkwood
danelli, but he's backed up right now, they just told me they could not make the deadline they had originally told me which means i'm going to have to take a warhammer to the biggest 30 years war reenactment in Europe later this week
lutel
pavel moc (he doesn't do rapiers any more)
albion
tods stuff

a good rule of thumb is that czech people are really into this poo poo and do not charge as much as other europeans

edit: depending on the price range, this dude owns
http://www.pavelskryja.cz/

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 19, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Two other well-regarded makers are the Czech smith Peter Regenyei and the US company Arms & Armor.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My hema club recommends this guy

http://www.regenyei.com/en_index.html

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A large part of my problem is that I have no idea what kind of price I should even be looking at. A lot of these sites have some really cool poo poo I thoroughly enjoyed clicking but no price information displayed on them. The Arms And Armor site seems to be an exception; I'll start shopping around there. Thanks guys :tipshat:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

loquacius posted:

A large part of my problem is that I have no idea what kind of price I should even be looking at. A lot of these sites have some really cool poo poo I thoroughly enjoyed clicking but no price information displayed on them. The Arms And Armor site seems to be an exception; I'll start shopping around there. Thanks guys :tipshat:

Alot of the stuff is made to order, which is the rough reason why.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
which also leads to Sad Sword Drama, but hey, at least dissatisfaction with the artisan who made your sword to order is period correct

edit:
you could also do what all my reenactment friends do and buy something for 100 euros out of the back of some czech guy's van

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

You should just get into hema and actually use the sword you buy, we cool hema jocks look down on the reenactment crowd

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

You should just get into hema and actually use the sword you buy, we cool hema jocks look down on the reenactment crowd
uh

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

they just told me they could not make the deadline they had originally told me which means i'm going to have to take a warhammer to the biggest 30 years war reenactment in Europe later this week

Say you're cosplaying as a Priest of Sigmar and you're golden.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Go as a Hussite? A time-travelling transvestite Hussite?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
which one of you is this
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/10/10/sword-wielding-woman-uses-medieval-combat-skills-stop-intruder/73746104/

reached for her gun, accidentally opened the sword drawer, how often has that happened to us

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 20, 2015

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

my eyesight isnt that great and the picture's kind of blurry, what kind of sword is that? looks like a thin straight blade with a maybe cruciform hilt. vaguely european arming sword?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Quite interesting short vid on the english longbow.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/agincourt/1/steps/53696

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why did the French choose to attack the English over as field of knee deep mud, 600 years ago this week? Overconfidence *again*?

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Comstar posted:

Why did the French choose to attack the English over as field of knee deep mud, 600 years ago this week? Overconfidence *again*?

I suspect part of the reason is that they'd actually found the English within striking distance. Henry V could, at that stage, have pillaged to his heart's content without really responding to French calls for battle. Partly this was due to problems coordinating the French army; there were, as always, internal rivalries like the one between the King and the Burgundians. For several weeks before the battle the French arguably had fewer available soldiers than the English. So frustration plays a significant part.

Since the English had actually set up a formation at Agincourt and the French had local numerical superiority, the idea of an attack isn't entirely unreasonable. But due to somewhat unclear reasons they didn't, say, open with their own archers/crossbowmen behind proper shield-cover. I would say it's impatience combined with poor communication, but that's just my two cents in the coppery mountain of Agincourt Speculation.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 26, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

Quite interesting short vid on the english longbow.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/agincourt/1/steps/53696

interesting stuff

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bendigeidfran posted:

But due to somewhat unclear reasons they didn't, say, open with their own archers/crossbowmen behind proper shield-cover. I would say it's impatience combined with poor communication, but that's just my two cents in the coppery mountain of Agincourt Speculation.
When it started to rain the Genoese crossbowmen couldn't stop their strings from becoming wet and they had left their shields. That resulted in crossbows that couldn't do that much damage and that they couldn't protect themselves from the British archers.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Alhazred posted:

When it started to rain the Genoese crossbowmen couldn't stop their strings from becoming wet and they had left their shields. That resulted in crossbows that couldn't do that much damage and that they couldn't protect themselves from the British archers.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Crecy? In Agincourt the crossbowmen were a non-factor because they were put in the rear of the army, not because they were forced ahead in the rain.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bendigeidfran posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of Crecy? In Agincourt the crossbowmen were a non-factor because they were put in the rear of the army, not because they were forced ahead in the rain.

Yeah, mixed those up. My bad.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Alhazred posted:

Crossbows don't work in the rain?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Basically, it's difficult to take the string off a crossbow and when the string gets wet it greatly compromises the effectiveness of the weapon. In contrast, it's relatively easy to unstring a longbow and keep the string dry.

Also, I've started to look at corporal punishment in the early Middle Ages, so if anyone knows of any great references to stuff from between roughly the 6th and the 9th century (especially the later end of that time frame) I'd super appreciate it. I'm particularly interested in narratives of specific individuals being punished (as opposed to general legal principles about corporal punishment, although I'll take those too).

deadking fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 27, 2015

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

Comstar posted:

Seems like it was a factor: "All the lords wanted to be in the vanguard, against the opinion of the constable and the experienced knights." according to Clifford J. Rogers, The Battle of Agincourt.

If I remember Battlefield Detectives correctly, another issue is the command structure of the French army was far more feudal and less centralised/professional than the English army, so the chain of command was less a clear hierarchy than a tangled mess with parts of the army essentially thinking of themselves as not under the command of the marshal. There seems to be a case of wanting the glory, fighting for themselves as individuals rather than fighting for the overall victory of the army.

One note is Henry did advance the English archer to bowshot range and start shooting at the French – the French were disorganised and did not move to attack until after the English had repositioned, hammered their stakes into the ground, and started shooting at the French lines/camp. Essentially the French surrendered the initiative, and once the English were shooting the French did not entirely organise properly before launching their charge (or whether to charge at all). Although the short, if somewhat flippant answer why the French launched their attack was because the English were shooting at them. :P

Basically the French commanders did not have proper control of their troops. Had the French been ready and launched a proper cavalry charge while the English were moving position, I would expect the French to win (look at the Battle of Patay for an example of French cavalry vs. English archers without the field fortifications). Had the French pulled their knights back and let the crossbowmen engage they probably would have foiled Henry V's plan as well.

I think the French were taken aback when the massively outnumbered English essentially began the attack on them, and responded by rushing in without preparing themselves properly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so i did a thing this weekend
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-24-oktober-2015/
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-25-oktober-2015/

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

10 Beers posted:

Crossbows don't work in the rain?

Ramie strings can break when they get wet, dunno about other kinds. You need a massive bowpress to (un)string a crossbow. Bowpresses are pretty convenient. Actually I'm building one atm.

Spotted you :P Don't even ask which of the pics it is

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 27, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Spotted you :P
so did half the cav in flanders :argh:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Does the star signify something other than Judaism in this context?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
probably, menorahs and writing in hebrew are what's associated with jews in the 17th century. in areas where they're forced to wear identifying marks i think it's colored circles on their clothing or distinctive hats

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kopijeger posted:

Does the star signify something other than Judaism in this context?

Hexagrams were used by many cultures for different purposes. My guess would be that in this case it's:

"In southern Germany the hexagram can be found as part of tavern anchors. It is symbol for the tapping of beer and sign of the brewer's guild. In German this is called "Bierstern" (beer star) or "Brauerstern" (brewer's star)."

from wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

Hexagrams were used by many cultures for different purposes. My guess would be that in this case it's:

"In southern Germany the hexagram can be found as part of tavern anchors. It is symbol for the tapping of beer and sign of the brewer's guild. In German this is called "Bierstern" (beer star) or "Brauerstern" (brewer's star)."

from wikipedia

these guys are dutch tho, from near friesland

• Locked thread