Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

As if Google Wave, Google Buzz and Google Reader weren't simple enough projects that Google couldn't execute, Google CEO Larry Page has apparently been working behind the scenes to set up even bolder tasks beyond his company's capabilities.

ftfy

google is now basically a cult on par with bitcoin and randos. building cities, maritime law barges, talking about islands with no laws, etc. wild, naive ideas with little more than a wiki behind them.

apple in the 90's with their CD players and cameras was nothing compared to google's scatter brained antics.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"in the future cities will be more software than hardware"

yup can't wait to kick back in my java apartment, it leaks all over the place

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the biggest problem in cities is sewage and garbage collection. we know how to solve those problems, and yet half the world's cities are in deplorable states

pro tip: software is not gonna fix it

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

theflyingexecutive posted:

"in the future cities will be more software than hardware"

yup can't wait to kick back in my java apartment, it leaks all over the place

at least you don't have to take out the garbage yourself anymore

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
when we're all uploaded to the cloud cities will be nothing more than several terabyte hard drives sitting in the middle of the desert

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
ONE DAY IN THE FUTURE WE WILL ALL BE COMPUTERS

SAN FIERO UNDERGROUND RADIO

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the biggest problem in cities is sewage and garbage collection.

its u

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the biggest problem in cities is sewage and garbage collection. we know how to solve those problems, and yet half the world's cities are in deplorable states

pro tip: software is not gonna fix it

no man it's access to cheap broadband, and it's all because of stupid humans and their inefficient politics guuuuhhhh

baahhhhh

tssuuuuuuhhhhhhh

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
now you can't send an sms to multiple recipients in hangouts.

thoogle

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well if you make the city out of java the garbage collection is automatic

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

:drat:

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
hey larry i figured it out

input: food, sleep, money, sex
output: doodoo, peepee, work, babies

now we only need to reverse engineer the program (can't be too complicated) and we'll finally be able to build the perfect society

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

you also never know when it's going to happen and it cripples the normal operation of the entire city when it does (usually at the worst possible time)

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

and the parks are just full of swing sets

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

and the parks are just full of swing sets

Nice!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
*squints*

*changes all STOP signs to GO*

guys- i think i figured it out

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
can't wait for google to cut out the middleman and just start trying to design their campus facilities themselves with their "engineering" staff

i mean what could go wrong

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AtomD posted:

hey larry i figured it out

input: food, sleep, money, sex
output: doodoo, peepee, work, babies

now we only need to reverse engineer the program (can't be too complicated) and we'll finally be able to build the perfect society

*poop flies out toilet back up butt*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
all of sv is essentially a toxic time bomb. rocket fuels and military chemicals in the 40s and 50s, dumping from semiconductor manufacturing in the 60s and 70s, its a loving mess. plus its almost all landfill, and in a seismic activity zone too!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

can't wait for google to cut out the middleman and just start trying to design their campus facilities themselves with their "engineering" staff

jesus fuckign christo

tldr: google maintains facilities on a superfund site and doesn't realy like to talk about it or tell their employees. the on-site automatic hvac system, which is designed to maintain positive pressure and keep the air in the buildings clean, was switched to manual by google engineers because they wanted the building warmer.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
those guys were definitely not qualified to be loving around with the HVAC system on a goddamn superfund site housing 1000 workers

i bet that real HVAC/mechanical engineers would've probably closed the site entirely to do any work, probably over the weekend or a series of nights

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Fuuuuck
This would be hilarious except, u kno, toxic chemicals

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
no worries, google will take ownership of any deformed children borne by its employees

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no worries, google will take ownership of any deformed children borne by its employees

what about the ones who already work there

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Socracheese posted:

what about the ones who already work there

they'll just put them all to work on google+

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

grogle house

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Captain Foo posted:

i already made that joke you joke thief

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Avenging Dentist posted:

you wouldn't steal a joke

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

those guys were definitely not qualified to be loving around with the HVAC system on a goddamn superfund site housing 1000 workers

i bet that real HVAC/mechanical engineers would've probably closed the site entirely to do any work, probably over the weekend or a series of nights

i guarantee you that when hvac people show up googlers look at the dirty clothes and physical tools and just assume that it's unskilled labor

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They probably think that the building hvac is bullshit because it doesn't have a phone app like Nest.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Avenging Dentist posted:

shoulda used a singleton

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

They probably think that the building hvac is bullshit because it doesn't have a phone app like Nest.

the new guys from nest said that we had to switch the a/c over to manual in order for the phone app to let me tweak my office temp from the hallway like a caveman

*gives cancer to everyone in the building*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the new guys from nest said that we had to switch the a/c over to manual in order for the phone app to let me tweak my office temp from the hallway like a caveman

*gives cancer to everyone in the building*

rofl

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

childcare is only for executives now but right before they took it away from the plebs there was a three year waiting list [for non-executives]

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

why the gently caress is google operating on a superfund site?! the page won't load on my phone, what's the site?

also:

duTrieux. posted:

i guarantee you that when hvac people show up googlers look at the dirty clothes and physical tools and just assume that it's unskilled labor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they work for google, they think that qualifies them as an expert on literally everything and anything

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

why the gently caress is google operating on a superfund site?! the page won't load on my phone, what's the site?

it says its like 3 miles from their main campus and was previously owned by netscape/aol lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

previously owned by netscape/aol lol

sounds like the toxic waste here is some seriously concentrated fail imo

• Locked thread