Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Constant posted:

Theres also a mob on top of the tower near the wizzy spires in north karana called Captain Linarius. He's dark blue all the way to 60. I dont know what his spawn time is on p99 but on 2002 its every 2 1/2 minutes because he has a quest turn-in

checked on this. he is blue at 60 on p99, but didn't respawn in 15 minutes.

Has Tolon Nurbyte been mentioned?
https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999/comments/6mkb2r/abusing_the_tolon_nurbyte_spawn_in_felwithe_to/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
My friends, who are assholes, talked me into playing this. All I really remember about EQ was being a Bard and the irony of never being able to actually talk to anyone in a group. I tried going Rogue, but then I saw a blueberry Bard. So gently caress me, I'm a Bard again.

Do raids happen at all? Does the L52 cap for Vox and Nagafen exist, or was that a Luclin addition?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So can I solo 8-14 or so in Blackburrow as a Shaman? I read knoll fangs can be turned in for exp so it seems like BB might be the most efficient? My buddy also told me there's an exp bonus there

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

Frog Act posted:

So can I solo 8-14 or so in Blackburrow as a Shaman? I read knoll fangs can be turned in for exp so it seems like BB might be the most efficient? My buddy also told me there's an exp bonus there

Yes, easily. Start with the gnolls nearest the Everfrost zoneline and work your way in. If you follow the left wall once you get into the main outdoor area of the zone you will eventually stumble across a door that leads deeper into the dungeon. It should be pretty easy to get into pickup groups there too, it’s a fairly popular zone.

By the way I haven’t forgotten about that banded armor, I just wasn’t able to log in because of Real Life Stuff. I’m hoping to be on a bit tonight and I’ll try and hook you up :)

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

To be fair, much of the playerbase and their associated drama is pretty terrible. I'd probably hate the players if I was them too.

Vengeance in fairness.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fyodorovich posted:

Yes, easily. Start with the gnolls nearest the Everfrost zoneline and work your way in. If you follow the left wall once you get into the main outdoor area of the zone you will eventually stumble across a door that leads deeper into the dungeon. It should be pretty easy to get into pickup groups there too, it’s a fairly popular zone.

By the way I haven’t forgotten about that banded armor, I just wasn’t able to log in because of Real Life Stuff. I’m hoping to be on a bit tonight and I’ll try and hook you up :)

Word! I'm killing the ones right by the Qeynos Hills entrance cus I've been doing WK. Seems pretty good, though I just got pretty brutally owned by a pair of blue con. Seems like it might be worth running to Qeynos and soliciting buffs before a grind session there.

No problem about the armor! Mauzer, a kindly goon, gave me Gatorscale Legs, a Platinum Armband, and a Bloodstained Tunic, so I'm feeling pretty pimped out right now. Just need stuff for the other slots.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Frog Act posted:

I just got pretty brutally owned by a pair of blue con.

As you rise in power, you will become harder and harder to kill. Just something to look forward to.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

Make sure you’re using slow, too, it makes a MASSIVE difference.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I ride bikes all day posted:

My friends, who are assholes, talked me into playing this. All I really remember about EQ was being a Bard and the irony of never being able to actually talk to anyone in a group. I tried going Rogue, but then I saw a blueberry Bard. So gently caress me, I'm a Bard again.

Do raids happen at all? Does the L52 cap for Vox and Nagafen exist, or was that a Luclin addition?

Bards are OP. Just know that swarm kiting a whole zone is now super easy to do thanks to modern computers with fast internet connections. To compensate for the flood of swarm kiting bards, GMs will consider it zone disruption if you swarm kite and are an rear end in a top hat to others about it. There’s currently a server culture now between bards and non-bards where the bards will be friendly and cede mobs or camps to people who ask nicely which seems to work out pretty well for everyone. Bards will also often offer to let others AFK and leech exp in a group with them just to be nice and build up their reputation for future grouping down the line.

Godspeed, brave blueberry.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fyodorovich posted:

Make sure you’re using slow, too, it makes a MASSIVE difference.

I don't have slow yet, but I have been pulling with Drowsy. Should I also go find the Cleric guy in Qeynos and grab Flash of Light for the blind + ATK debuff? My strat now is just drowsy and then bashing em to death. When I'm buffed I can throw in some Frost Rifts but my mana efficiency is low when I try to use damaging spells. Makes the downtime to grinding ratio all wonky, but I figure that will change when I get some DoTs.

Also, should I be running with all my buffs? I haven't been using feet like cat or snakeskin (the latter cus I need scales and can't seem to get many no matter how many snakes I kill...guess I'll have to farm them up) and the former I skip cus it costs so much mana. I'm thinking now I might want to use at least feet like cat for the ac buff

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I melee'd on my shaman until 34 when you get a decent root and can root rot.

Save up for a poison wind censer and go ham.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Siets posted:

Bards are OP. Just know that swarm kiting a whole zone is now super easy to do thanks to modern computers with fast internet connections. To compensate for the flood of swarm kiting bards, GMs will consider it zone disruption if you swarm kite and are an rear end in a top hat to others about it. There’s currently a server culture now between bards and non-bards where the bards will be friendly and cede mobs or camps to people who ask nicely which seems to work out pretty well for everyone. Bards will also often offer to let others AFK and leech exp in a group with them just to be nice and build up their reputation for future grouping down the line.

Godspeed, brave blueberry.

Aren't bards limited to something like 25 mobs now?

Constant posted:

I melee'd on my shaman until 34 when you get a decent root and can root rot.

Save up for a poison wind censer and go ham.

Or a Granite Face Grinder. That did my shaman wonders.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 13, 2018

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I don't have slow yet, but I have been pulling with Drowsy. Should I also go find the Cleric guy in Qeynos and grab Flash of Light for the blind + ATK debuff? My strat now is just drowsy and then bashing em to death. When I'm buffed I can throw in some Frost Rifts but my mana efficiency is low when I try to use damaging spells. Makes the downtime to grinding ratio all wonky, but I figure that will change when I get some DoTs.

Also, should I be running with all my buffs? I haven't been using feet like cat or snakeskin (the latter cus I need scales and can't seem to get many no matter how many snakes I kill...guess I'll have to farm them up) and the former I skip cus it costs so much mana. I'm thinking now I might want to use at least feet like cat for the ac buff

Drowsy is a slow, it’s just the first one in the line. You’ll get your next one (Walking Sleep) at 14.

When I was leveling I would pull with a DoT (Sicken, at your level. Tainted Breath as soon as you get it at 9), melee until the mob was about to run, then finish off with a nuke. If the mob was tougher I’d use Drowsy. Flash of Light isn’t worth it unless you’re tanking in a group or something I guess (blind generates crazy aggro).

As far as buffs go I would just rock Strengthen and Feet like Cat if you feel you need the slight AC bump, and Dextrous Aura becomes worth it when you get a weapon that procs. You will always have Inner Fire up because you should be using Inner Fire as your heal spell until you get Healing at level 19.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fyodorovich posted:

Drowsy is a slow, it’s just the first one in the line. You’ll get your next one (Walking Sleep) at 14.

When I was leveling I would pull with a DoT (Sicken, at your level. Tainted Breath as soon as you get it at 9), melee until the mob was about to run, then finish off with a nuke. If the mob was tougher I’d use Drowsy. Flash of Light isn’t worth it unless you’re tanking in a group or something I guess (blind generates crazy aggro).

As far as buffs go I would just rock Strengthen and Feet like Cat if you feel you need the slight AC bump, and Dextrous Aura becomes worth it when you get a weapon that procs. You will always have Inner Fire up because you should be using Inner Fire as your heal spell until you get Healing at level 19.

Snap, thanks! I didn't even know about Sicken, since I just bought everything from the Halas vendors, so I'm gonna go find the guy in Everfrost and grab that + the level 9 spell since I'm close to that anyway. I also had no idea inner fire could function as a heal, which means I can ditch my crappy low level heal, and trade out Dextrous Aura for Feet Like Cat since my current weapon doesn't proc. Looking through my spell list, it looks like I'm gonna have to go to the oasis of Marr and a Cleric trainer by level 14 in order to get stuff like see invisible, dots, etc

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Snap, thanks! I didn't even know about Sicken, since I just bought everything from the Halas vendors, so I'm gonna go find the guy in Everfrost and grab that + the level 9 spell since I'm close to that anyway. I also had no idea inner fire could function as a heal, which means I can ditch my crappy low level heal, and trade out Dextrous Aura for Feet Like Cat since my current weapon doesn't proc. Looking through my spell list, it looks like I'm gonna have to go to the oasis of Marr and a Cleric trainer by level 14 in order to get stuff like see invisible, dots, etc

It’d be a good idea to grab the next few poison spells from that dude before you move past BB if you can, the poison DoTs are pretty awesome. You’ll need to trek back to Halas to train Dodge at some point at or above level 15 so I’d advise buying all the spells you want up to 14 as soon as you can afford them. Note that the poison line DOES stack with the disease line, it’s just more efficient to use Tainted Breath by itself once you get it since the mob will probably be dead before Sicken runs its course. YMMV!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Aren't bards limited to something like 25 mobs now?

Oh I complete forgot about this. I think you're right. RIP swarm kiting.

Was that a classic change too? I can't honestly remember if people even did swarm kiting back in the day. I don't remember ever seeing it personally.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fyodorovich posted:

It’d be a good idea to grab the next few poison spells from that dude before you move past BB if you can, the poison DoTs are pretty awesome. You’ll need to trek back to Halas to train Dodge at some point at or above level 15 so I’d advise buying all the spells you want up to 14 as soon as you can afford them. Note that the poison line DOES stack with the disease line, it’s just more efficient to use Tainted Breath by itself once you get it since the mob will probably be dead before Sicken runs its course. YMMV!

Awesome, I'm gonna be heading back to Halas at level 10 to pick up all my 14 spells and train dodge/sense heading. I've got like...1100 pp, thanks to generous goons and my buddies, so I imagine I'll be good to go on just picking up all my spells up to like 29 or so.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

On Red bards do swarm-kite power-leveling. Get some AOE classes and anybody else you need leveled, stand in middle of the swarm and burn it down. If 25 is the limit it’s still a ton.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Siets posted:

Was that a classic change too?

Nope, PBAE spells should hit unlimited targets. Seems like they changed it just to stop Chardok AOE from happening, since it was a cesspool of RMT.

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

rmt has never and will never exist on p99

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Major shoutout to the goons, particularly Jody and Mauzer, the former of whom gave me some dope twinky gear that tripled my HP and has made my life considerably easier and the latter for giving me a sick pile of plat and also some nice gear. Thanks duders, ya'll have already made my life a lot easier and stopped me from dying in BB like six times in a row. By the way - how do I know when my Poison Wind Censer has procced, and is that determined by DEX? Is there a mana regen threshold where I want my wisdom to hover around a certain amount?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frog Act posted:

By the way - how do I know when my Poison Wind Censer has procced, and is that determined by DEX? Is there a mana regen threshold where I want my wisdom to hover around a certain amount?

PWC doesn't proc until you are level 50, which is where the weapon becomes useless because it's an aoe rain spell that also damages you. Great for pre-50 though.

Wisdom does not affect your mana regen. Outside of a few very specific, very difficult to acquire pieces of endgame gear, no equipment will do anything for your mana regen. Your spellcasting stat only increases your max mana, which is of extremely dubious value in 99% of circumstances, so you shouldn't really worry about your wisdom very much.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

using the pwc as a shaman isnt about the proc but purely for the ratio and damage as you level

plus its cheaper than a granite face grinder

Orty
May 14, 2007

I've been pushing myself hard to just pick one character to focus on and lay off the alt hopping. I have narrowed it down to three choices. Druid, Bard, or Rogue. My 21 Druid is pretty decently geared, and my bard has some okish gear that could be used for a rogue as well.

Not sure how much I am feeling the druid. I played one back in PoP era live and I remember it being very boring to group with and soloing was just as bad (I mostly root rotted so... yeah of course it was). It would be great to have one leveled just for the benefits it would bring, but I know I would burn out quickly.

Bard was my main on live after I gave up on my druid. I had loads of fun with it, could twist and charm swarm kite easily. Just never got the hang of pulling with them and mezzing. Probably would group as much as possible and avoid aoe grind.

With rogue I played one on live a little bit, was great since it was basically the dps component of bard that I was missing. Would be great to play since it is such a simple class, just depends on grouping.

I gotta say I am leaning towards the Bard/Rogue route, which seems to be popular lately. Simple classes to play, more engaging so not as bored, and melee oriented which I like over casters. Just not sure if I should go that route over the druid, and if so which to pick. I also am not sure if I should sell off everything on the druid (and all the small items on my alts just so I wont be tempted to play them). If I do the Bard/Rogue could be twinked pretty decently. Mostly a pair of Silver Chitin Hand Wraps, and maybe a couple decent weapons.

Thoughts? Help me rid myself of my alt addiction.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I am mad that, while /gems has survived into the Titanium client, /pizza has not :mad:

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Eh, my old EQ bard was a cat, and I’m not sure how much changed for Luclin. Qualifier out of the way, playing a bard is a pretty high level task compared to most classes. Quad twisting, especially while weaving in a mez, is a few steps beyond pressing kick or backstab once every few seconds. I’m not saying it’s a super heroic task, but it’s a poo poo ton of effort in comparison.

I found it to be a masochistic sort of fun. You can’t really talk in a group and be as effective as you can be, which can be annoying. Bullet train song makes everything ok, though.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

I am mad that, while /gems has survived into the Titanium client, /pizza has not :mad:

Wrong game, /pizza was in EQ2.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Could've sworn it was in EQ1 also but google disagrees. :rip: my brain.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dick Burglar posted:

Could've sworn it was in EQ1 also but google disagrees. :rip: my brain.

Ditto on all counts.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Da Mott Man posted:

Wrong game, /pizza was in EQ2.

It was in EQ1, too I thought. Given that I never played EQ2 and I remember the command.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
44 Paladin making the grind up to Dwarven Cultural armor in blacksmithing, currently about to chew through Banded armor if anybody would like some... it's either that or it'll be going straight back to a vendor to recoup my costs.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

kzersatz posted:

44 Paladin making the grind up to Dwarven Cultural armor in blacksmithing, currently about to chew through Banded armor if anybody would like some... it's either that or it'll be going straight back to a vendor to recoup my costs.

Whats your in-game name? There's probably some newbies who could use some.

Also are you in the discord (in the OP)?

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

College Slice

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Whats your in-game name? There's probably some newbies who could use some.

Also are you in the discord (in the OP)?

Hordaek, admitting my play schedule sucks, but I'll definitely make the effort to slap some together for any newbee.

Not in discord yet, will join tonight.

I may end up stalling out on pp not long after banded though, but we'll see, 400 plat has gotten me farther than I'd of expected so far.

kzersatz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 14, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I have this overwhelming urge to make an alt cleric or enchanter but I vow to get my character to at least 20 before I start dicking around. Speaking of which, I need to get some random Shaman spells that are far away. Whats the best way to get Sense Animals, Spirit Sight, and Sense Animals? Do I just have to go the Oasis of Marr, wherever the heck that is?

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

College Slice

Frog Act posted:

I have this overwhelming urge to make an alt cleric or enchanter but I vow to get my character to at least 20 before I start dicking around. Speaking of which, I need to get some random Shaman spells that are far away. Whats the best way to get Sense Animals, Spirit Sight, and Sense Animals? Do I just have to go the Oasis of Marr, wherever the heck that is?

Yes, where are you at currently?

A great way to navigate your way around is to go to the P99 wiki, find the zone you're in, navigate around via the hyperlinks to the zone connections.

There are a few zone connection maps, but they're kind of annoying to utilize (In my opinion at least...)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

kzersatz posted:

Yes, where are you at currently?

A great way to navigate your way around is to go to the P99 wiki, find the zone you're in, navigate around via the hyperlinks to the zone connections.

There are a few zone connection maps, but they're kind of annoying to utilize (In my opinion at least...)

I'm in BB. I've been using the P99 wiki to get places, but it seems like Oasis of Marr is far away, ditto with what seems to be the best levelling spot for my level, some place called the "Estate of Unrest". Also general question - I've been adventuring with some random dude for the past couple days and he's pretty cool and guildless, can I sponsor him in the way I did my rl friends?

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

College Slice
If you're in BB, to get to the Oasis you've gotta go to the docks, board the boat, go to east Freeport after crossing the Ocean of Tears... from East Freeport, go to the Desert of Ro, head to the Oasis from there.

The return is just the inverse of this... complications come in HEAVILY when you are an evil race (Ikky, Ogre, Troll) over Barbarian.

No idea on the sponsoring thing... am totally lost there.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

kzersatz posted:

Hordaek, admitting my play schedule sucks, but I'll definitely make the effort to slap some together for any newbee.

Not in discord yet, will join tonight.

I may end up stalling out on pp not long after banded though, but we'll see, 400 plat has gotten me farther than I'd of expected so far.

I'll probably buy a couple sets of banded to keep on hand for newbies. I'm not sure if any of our current fresh crop of newbies needs any at the moment.

kzersatz posted:

If you're in BB, to get to the Oasis you've gotta go to the docks, board the boat, go to east Freeport after crossing the Ocean of Tears... from East Freeport, go to the Desert of Ro, head to the Oasis from there.

The return is just the inverse of this... complications come in HEAVILY when you are an evil race (Ikky, Ogre, Troll) over Barbarian.

I think the BB he's referring to is Blackburrow. He'd have a tough time running to Freeport without invis yet.

Frog Act posted:

I'm in BB. I've been using the P99 wiki to get places, but it seems like Oasis of Marr is far away, ditto with what seems to be the best levelling spot for my level, some place called the "Estate of Unrest". Also general question - I've been adventuring with some random dude for the past couple days and he's pretty cool and guildless, can I sponsor him in the way I did my rl friends?

The best way to get there at your level (being that you don't have invisibility yet) would be to get a port. If you're planing on relocating to level be sure to grab, at the very least, your next level of spells to have on hand for when you hit that level. It might even be worthwhile to stash the next spell level's set of spells after that in your bank. Also, remember to get a bind in the nearest city to where you'll be adventuring (once you get Bind Affinity you can bind yourself wherever you want on demand.) My advice for when you run to those spell vendors outside of your class guild to grab what you're missing: buy as many of the spells as you can afford that they sell so you don't have to keep making repeat trips to pick them up later. Just stash them in your bank for when you need them.

Would anyone else object to people sponsoring friends into the guild? I guess the only thing I think should be done is to make a post explaining who's sponsoring someone in, just to keep track.

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 14, 2018

ptothebtothek
Nov 6, 2009
Thinking of dusting off my 26 Erudite Pally. Any goons currently leveling in Unrest or MM area or able to throw me an invite to the guild. I can travel back to EC if needed. Name is Samuk and should be on tonight. Might be on a Druid I just rolled also, name Lidrath. Played my Pally with some of you a long time ago in SLAMDUNKATRON and red seems even more dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

You can get invites for whoever you want into the guild, it's never been goon only. They'll get kicked if they suck and piss other people off, otherwise it's no big.