Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will never understand why games like this make every large predator agro. Having a few different personalities for predators (passive, traveling, territorial, aggressive) with accompanying idle animations would be more authentic and immersive. Most apex predators hunt for a very small percentage of their waking hours. It would be fun having to read a boneshark at a distance vs knowing they will zerg rush you 100% at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what the gently caress is happening with this game

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

what the gently caress is happening with this game

Don't you understand.... ~gAmEs DeVelOpMenT~ ??????? :smug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Eifert Posting posted:

I will never understand why games like this make every large predator agro. Having a few different personalities for predators (passive, traveling, territorial, aggressive) with accompanying idle animations would be more authentic and immersive. Most apex predators hunt for a very small percentage of their waking hours. It would be fun having to read a boneshark at a distance vs knowing they will zerg rush you 100% at a time.

Based on their first predator, the stalker, this is what I had hoped for. Would have been a lot more fun to be able to "swim with the sharks" sometimes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Based on their first predator, the stalker, this is what I had hoped for. Would have been a lot more fun to be able to "swim with the sharks" sometimes.

Stalkers are good boys, and yet another example of a high bar set for themselves at first. Only to then say "gently caress it. This is fine."

Not my image, just copying it from mid september (Feels like longer ago, but that's due to how often this poo poo happens) steam forums posts.

But this is an example of the sort of thing both the playerbase, and the developers, keep telling players to Git Gud, That's Gamedev, "You are WRONG! we didn't increase spawns, therefore, pay attention to how wrong about that specific detail the complainer is." etc etc.

Anything and everything but admit there is anything the slightest bit off kilter with the game, when not saying broken things are totally not their fault it was the alignment of the stars and macromedia shockwave's fault.

PS, You, the one poster in the dozenth thread with dozens of posts bitching about bonesharks that accidentally said sandsharks, I'm gonna single you out to say SANDSHARKS don't attack X! Why won't anybody give us accurate feedback? What this makes us look like we're ignoring the obvious problem in favor of softballs? We just want to make sure players are giving accurate feedback, that's all :smug: (Though at least, finally, eventually, sharks no longer attacked the Cyclops... But the rage aggro increase patching after that resulted in the above screenshot specifically. And I still can't park my Cyclops with the engines off anywhere at all in the final chamber without a sea dragon trying to mate with it even if that means pulling a 200 meter 90 degree climb towards the ceiling for no loving reason)

I know that gamedev is for realsies hard. But come on, this game is so close to being the perfect funtime space scuba game. But it's not watching the devs move the goal posts, it's watching the Devs constantly doing Charlie Brown vs football impression :sigh: "This time, we'll launch for sure-oh gently caress, oh poo poo, oh good grief... Get the madlibs'That's gamedev' speech. Yes, again. Shut up dad I'm a 10 year vet of games development :saddowns: "

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 23, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They're hungry all the time because their diet consists of players and player-owned reinforced titanium submarines

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

When I heard that the devs were honestly blaming the engine for their absurd pop-in and broken terrain system I hardened my heart and accepted that this game is probably not going to be fixed. This doesn't mean I can't hope, but I can also hope to win the lottery by having Odin's loving ravens deliver me a winning ticket. Doesn't quite make it likely.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Teledahn posted:

When I heard that the devs were honestly blaming the engine for their absurd pop-in and broken terrain system I hardened my heart and accepted that this game is probably not going to be fixed. This doesn't mean I can't hope, but I can also hope to win the lottery by having Odin's loving ravens deliver me a winning ticket. Doesn't quite make it likely.

Blaming the engine, AND acting like the Unity developers should be gracious enough to come on down and fix it for them or it's not UW's fault they never fix wallhax levithans :pseudo:

Though a big part of the show is how they keep up the whiplash incuding U turns between how put upon they are and don't you know everything so hard, then dropping entire bags of mikes over people doubting their ability to fix it in time for launch dontcha know they are 10 year vets where's your game huh?... But uh, don't hold to any of that, that would be unreasonable.

I'd be far more sympathetic of how clearly they are in over their heads, if they didn't keep using boilerplate press statements :sigh: It's part of why I keep being foolishly optimistic at times despite all my nitpicks. But no, expecting anything of them is being unreasonable, but NOT expecting anything of them is also being unreasonable.

"Okay, okay... They have finally put their big boy pants on and the steam store page now has an actual ETA rather than it only existing on the dry erase board roadmap. They can't smash the delay button anymore without it looking much worse to the general public. Maybe it will be bumped back to November, or a last second December release. But at least they can't gently caress up so bad it's delayed to next year-They delayed it to next year :doh:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 25, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yall are weirdos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that part of the reason they're ten year veterans of game development is because for about half of that they weren't getting paid for it and the other half they haven't managed to release anything in a timely fashion.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
It amuses me how this thread is basically a mirror image of the old minecraft threads. Where those had people white knighting every single questionable decision the devs made without fail, here it's all hands on deck outrage over every minor graphical/gameplay failing in what is (at least to my subjective eyes) a beautiful looking and deeply immersive game. They could drop in the last 5% of the storyline content tomorrow, call it a full release, and it would still be better than 99% of the survival sandbox games out there. Are there obvious areas for improvement that a better dev would have delivered on but they haven't/won't? Sure. But it's still the best early access purchase I've ever made.

I guess the punchline is that we're all still waiting on that perfect survival game. Maybe a decade from now we'll get Subnautica 2 with multiplayer, flawless graphics, procedurally generated maps, mod support, etc...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's more a general trend with UWE, they have consistently good art but can't actually make a game for poo poo.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

It amuses me how this thread is basically a mirror image of the old minecraft threads. Where those had people white knighting every single questionable decision the devs made without fail, here it's all hands on deck outrage over every minor graphical/gameplay failing in what is (at least to my subjective eyes) a beautiful looking and deeply immersive game. They could drop in the last 5% of the storyline content tomorrow, call it a full release, and it would still be better than 99% of the survival sandbox games out there. Are there obvious areas for improvement that a better dev would have delivered on but they haven't/won't? Sure. But it's still the best early access purchase I've ever made.

I guess the punchline is that we're all still waiting on that perfect survival game. Maybe a decade from now we'll get Subnautica 2 with multiplayer, flawless graphics, procedurally generated maps, mod support, etc...

So you like a janky game with draw distance so low that giant predators can literally pop up right in front of you? The game would be 10x better if they fixed this because half the appeal is the beautiful environments and being able to see more than 20m helps that a lot.

It’s one thing to complain about bad graphics, it’s an entirely different thing when I can literally see tears in the geometry at all times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The great majority of it is section Z who is starting to look deranged even to me, as someone who fundamentally agrees with most of he says here.

The thing is I can't really ignore it when all my attempts to actually play this (on hardware that has no problem running every modern AAA game I've thrown at it on High settings) get stopped by the performance degrading to nearly unplayable levels (in addition to the game looking very bad because of slow streaming speeds resulting in crap draw distance and pop-in) and after having seen no improvement on that front on my end after a year and a half. They have a huge amount of ground to cover if they want the game to run acceptably on anything less than top-end systems, and at their rate they aren't gonna get there when they release. There is no way this game should require an SSD and an i7 CPU just to stream the environment in at seaglide speeds without hitching incessantly, loading textures and geometry late, spawning creatures too close to you, and having a noticeable LOD dropoff less than 100 meters away even after you sit still for 5 seconds to let it visibly load in each thing one at a time.

I am also skeptical that unity is entirely to blame and I question why they stuck with it if it is, since these are issues that would manifest pretty quickly.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
The first hours of playing this game, decontaminating the Aurora, and waiting for the rescue ship were amazing, and the finale to all that work when the huge surface gun destroys the ship left me jaw-dropped. After that, it was just downhill. It's a real shame. I want to enjoy this more but it's just too limited and buggy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
To be fair, Unity is pretty terrible and it's easy to blame it because its limitations do hold them back, I'm sure.

It's just bad form for them to be coming up with excuses.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zesty posted:

To be fair, Unity is pretty terrible and it's easy to blame it because its limitations do hold them back, I'm sure.

It's just bad form for them to be coming up with excuses.

unity powers a whole lot of really great games. the engine does have limitations, just like literally every other game engine on earth. good developers can program around engine limitations to minimize or nullify said limitations.

it is abundantly clear that the subnautica team are not good developers.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yep, that's what my second sentence is all about.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All they have to do is hide load times behind your descent when you can’t see anything 20ft in front of you. See easy, pay me!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Considering how they fare when they build their own engine I'm not sure they can blame unity for poor performance :v:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

financially racist posted:

unity powers a whole lot of really great games. the engine does have limitations, just like literally every other game engine on earth. good developers can program around engine limitations to minimize or nullify said limitations.

Looking at the list of unity games, all the FPS ones are pretty janky except maybe Firewatch? Unity is a bad engine for FPS games (and pretty janky for some others.)

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Even Firewatch is pretty janky, or at least it was on PS4.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Invalid Validation posted:

All they have to do is hide load times behind your descent when you can’t see anything 20ft in front of you. See easy, pay me!

Oh I see the solution.

Turok Fog! :haw:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was assuming morrowind fog but sure, that works too.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thor-Stryker posted:

Looking at the list of unity games, all the FPS ones are pretty janky except maybe Firewatch? Unity is a bad engine for FPS games (and pretty janky for some others.)

Someone has never played DUSK.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Unity is not “pretty terrible” and most people saying that are just repeating stuff they heard elsewhere. The rest are Unreal devs :jerkbag:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Considering how they fare when they build their own engine I'm not sure they can blame unity for poor performance :v:

Their other game with their in house engine actually runs better than this one.

After 2 years of updates.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Xibanya posted:

Unity is not “pretty terrible” and most people saying that are just repeating stuff they heard elsewhere. The rest are Unreal devs :jerkbag:

Counterpoint: it's pretty terrible.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Unity's really good but it's gotten a super horrible rap because so many idiots poo poo out a billion low effort, asset flip jumpscare games and "MADE IN UNITY" ends up mentally linked.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Unity's really good but it's gotten a super horrible rap because so many idiots poo poo out a billion low effort, asset flip jumpscare games and "MADE IN UNITY" ends up mentally linked.

People say this, but then you look at the showcase of titles and realize that majority of the games are janky and AAA developers avoid the engine like the plague. And while there are cult followings for some of the 3D titles, it's not because of the good graphics or flawless gameplay.

I'd rate Unity on the same level as the Source engine, but at least Valve and Respawn Entertainment (Titan Fall Series) were able to salvage that dumpster fire.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You can make a working game in unity, and if you try really hard you can even make it look good. But I've yet to see a good looking, working game that doesn't creak under the stress its own code puts it under.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hey I like source, source is the only engine I can develop for.

I mean it's 2004 as hell but I like my dead brain damaged engine.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Hey I like source, source is the only engine I can develop for.

I mean it's 2004 as hell but I like my dead brain damaged engine.

and I can only make maps for Source Engine games. :eng99:

It seems to be a recurring issue after the original Natural-Selection that Charlie chooses/builds engines that are too limited in scope for the fantastical ideas his company comes up with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like having to recompile the map for an hour every time I change anything in it. It builds anticipation.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there are plenty of great unity games, such as noted massive success hearthstone, and critical darlings like superhot, ori and the blind forest, and kerbal space program.

fact is, this poo poo comes across as nothing more than the devs making excuses. i find it really hard to believe that the performance issues would be solved if only unknown worlds had the unity source code. and quite fuckin frankly, if unity is such a terrible engine as people are insisting, then perhaps they should not have developed this game with it and gone with unreal or cryengine or something.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

financially racist posted:

there are plenty of great unity games, such as noted massive success hearthstone, and critical darlings like superhot, ori and the blind forest, and kerbal space program.

fact is, this poo poo comes across as nothing more than the devs making excuses. i find it really hard to believe that the performance issues would be solved if only unknown worlds had the unity source code. and quite fuckin frankly, if unity is such a terrible engine as people are insisting, then perhaps they should not have developed this game with it and gone with unreal or cryengine or something.

Pretty sure Unreal 4 and Cryengine weren't available like they are now when they started.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

The great majority of it is section Z who is starting to look deranged even to me, as someone who fundamentally agrees with most of he says here.

Of course, these days I can take a break from posting and come back to a page long debate about "Unity Games. poo poo engine or poo poo devs?".

Though I would prefer the way back machine alternative of the game being in a much better state, and the worst worries being "Melon nerfs. Dumb change? Or are you just too dumb to appreciate it :smug:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 27, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just wanted to know if I should play this game yet, and then I read the last handful of pages. I'm not sure who's crazier, Section Z or the devs, but it did make for an entertaining and vaguely informative evening. Thanks?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like faffing around in an atmospheric setting and don't find terrible performance and pop in to be immersion breaking, you'll probably like it.

The game doesn't really have much gameplay, you collect stuff and build stuff with it and use the built stuff to progress the story, but it is very atmospheric absenting the bugs, that's its appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah that's pretty much what I want, which honestly makes the graphical and performance issues more of a problem than they might be in something more gameplay driven. If they don't get it cleared up before launch or shortly after, I'll just play it anyway, but it's a bummer.