Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Ah, good, good, I would like to purchase one ticket for the hype train please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Lifeglug posted:

Ah, good, good, I would like to purchase one ticket for the hype train please.

I was up until 2am this morning playing my game of stupid neoliberal pacifist space elves, Utopia is already ruining my life and it hasn't even been released yet :o:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A new trailer or something:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/836234972000321536

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
That gives me time to finish off my EUIV Byzantium run and then take my Basileus into space. I wonder what ethics to take to represent a really specific hatred of Lithuanians...

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Aethernet posted:

That gives me time to finish off my EUIV Byzantium run and then take my Basileus into space. I wonder what ethics to take to represent a really specific hatred of Lithuanians...

I think that's collectivism

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I think that's collectivism

Maybe a curious blend of xenophobia, collectivism and spiritualism where the noble Greeks believe that loathsome Slavic boogiemen lurk behind every corner, just out of sight - tempting them to sin and join in their deprivations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I was up until 2am this morning playing my game of stupid neoliberal pacifist space elves, Utopia is already ruining my life and it hasn't even been released yet :o:

I'm putting quite frankly embarassing amounts of my free time into THE UNYIELDING BLIGHT, a misnomered collective of xenophiles just trying to make friends with bad PR, all the while dreaming of turn 1 colony ships and less dumb ethics.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Gonna find pre-space age Earth and build a sphere around the sun. Sorry humans, your destiny is to freeze so I can get more energy.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Are there going to be fallen empire hive minds? Them awakening would be "welp time to ensure nothing but ourself survives" though so bit more of an endgame crisis.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I am highly ready for April 6th.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Maybe a curious blend of xenophobia, collectivism and spiritualism where the noble Greeks believe that loathsome Slavic boogiemen lurk behind every corner, just out of sight - tempting them to sin and join in their deprivations.

That sounds quite appealing. I'll either go for that or Authoritarian, Militarist and Materialist, in order to get Robo-Greeks.

To turn the normal comparison the other way round, the upcoming factions in Stellaris look far more entertaining than their equivalent in EUIV, estates, which are largely busy work. You hit up the latter a timer to get a bag of mana, more like Farmville than grand strategy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hope there's no big show-stoppers with Utopia, releasing so close to the weekend is can often be trouble. They should clearly change it to monday. This coming monday.
Being a big ol' space man-child I'm thinking of booking off the friday for a stellaris long weekend

Also I've started and played a good way through about 4 games this week but still no Horizon Signal :(

I got a really cool map where there's a vast rich area of stars with habitable planets but they're stuck behind a single choke point with the space dragon. I tried hitting it with a 30k fleet and got hosed up hard. What do you need to take on the Drake?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If you're tired of waiting and want to start the Horizon Signal, just have a science ship enter and leave a black hole system over and over until it fires.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/836251604542095360

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

"Super-Human". Custom race, or is that from the Cybernetic Ascension path?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Finally, we can shed our meat-based existence.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I am excited to lead my cute lizard people into their cybernetic future. Cyber geckies shall rule all.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Sweet! One day after my birthday. One Steam Gift Card please!

Really looking forward to diving into this game a bit further as I feel like I've only barely scratched the surface with my brief time thus far.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
For the first time I have been blocked as a warp drive race - there are no more planets in range of my starting area. Tall by necessity I guess.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Have we gotten any info on the strength/defenses of the new space habitats? How easy will it be for my foes to slaughter my peaceful plant peoples and/or how easy will it be for my fleets to send the filthy xenos careening into the atmosphere to be purged in the flames as is right and just?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Space habitats are effectively artificial planets, IIRC. They can't be destroyed, only exchanged in peace agreements.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Litany Unheard posted:

Have we gotten any info on the strength/defenses of the new space habitats? How easy will it be for my foes to slaughter my peaceful plant peoples and/or how easy will it be for my fleets to send the filthy xenos careening into the atmosphere to be purged in the flames as is right and just?
They're planets. You won't be able to do anything to them during war. (Until a future expansion that lets you do things to planets too.)

There's a war goal to dissemble them that's equivalent to the war goal to purge a planet.

I don't think we've got confirmation if they can make a spaceport or not though.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Litany Unheard posted:

They function exactly like normal planets, so you can't destroy them, only land armies on and occupy.

e:f,b

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So a little while back people were making a lot of hay about extremely adaptive being one of the better traits (which it undoubtably is).

That being said, are there any combination of traits that are almost as good as/competitive with that one big one? Being in a representative democracy with both quick learner and talented seems like it could be a good combination, since the bonuses leaders give seem to be a respectable Empire wide boost.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Starting right next to an abandoned ring world is pretty rad. +15 engineering off the bat when you're at 5 5 5 is amazing. Then I got some bonus +5 engineering anomaly at my home system. Was rocking +25 engineering before I had a colony ship. Never tried expanding slow before, not expanding until the previous colony has at least 4+ labs (that's the break-even for research penalty right?) and that combined with the ring world bonuses gave me a ridiculous tech snow-ball. Every empire in the game was inferior but generally pathetic in tech.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So a little while back people were making a lot of hay about extremely adaptive being one of the better traits (which it undoubtably is).

That being said, are there any combination of traits that are almost as good as/competitive with that one big one? Being in a representative democracy with both quick learner and talented seems like it could be a good combination, since the bonuses leaders give seem to be a respectable Empire wide boost.

I love doing the opposite for a "tall" (as tall as you can in 1.3) empire. I can't remember the exact combo but I think it was non-adaptive for -2 points, sedentary for -1, then intelligent and enduring or something like that. Went fanatic materialist + pacifist. The tech bonus lets you get robots within a couple techs, and quickly gets you frontier hospitals and +hab techs which quickly eliminate the unadaptable penalty. By expanding more slowly you can focus on teching up, getting terraforming quicker. Pacifist gets you the paradise dome which is happy + hab. By early-mid game all my planets were at 100% happiness, robots doing most farming and mining, and multiple planets terraforming at a time. The longer leader lifespan is nice off the bat because it obviously gives them more time to level up, but also less time managing/replacing leaders and less chance forgetting your 10 planet sector has had no governor for 30 years.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The thing is that early game advantages snowball and being able to colonize every single planet right of the bat means you can use any and all good ones you come across.

I quite like going for plain adaptable then either rapid breeders and venerable; those get you fuller planets quicker as well as letting your leaders hang around for a while which is a blessing for all those goddamn level 5 science things. Charismatic/Communal are also good because if you're gonna genemod for adaptability, Charismatic bonuses start kicking in and if you micro it a bit or just have migration on, it can give you nice dividends.

Personally, I am currently loving the Fan-Spiritual/Collectivist for the Ethics Divergence bonuses, which means that all my dudes being communal and extremely adaptable with charismatic subraces makes them all wonderfully homogeneous even in sectors. It could also have worked with plain adaptable; you just have to gun for genemodding earlier.

Baronjutter posted:

Starting right next to an abandoned ring world is pretty rad. +15 engineering off the bat when you're at 5 5 5 is amazing. Then I got some bonus +5 engineering anomaly at my home system. Was rocking +25 engineering before I had a colony ship. Never tried expanding slow before, not expanding until the previous colony has at least 4+ labs (that's the break-even for research penalty right?) and that combined with the ring world bonuses gave me a ridiculous tech snow-ball. Every empire in the game was inferior but generally pathetic in tech.
It's pretty fab, especially if there's a science station around it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Enduring would be my favourite if it didn't lock you out of genemodding in Venerable WHICH IS BULLSHIT WIZ FIX IT. So I guess Venerable is my favourite. I like having scientists sitting around reminiscing about when Hyperlanes seemed like such a big deal, or Generals watching Xenomorph-wrangling Godzillas fighting awakened Synths and thinking, I remember when we just shot bullets and weird looking dog men.

The spare influence is also nice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It feels like the longer life traits should increase growth rate as well. I guess those races just coincidentally reproduce less to perfectly cancel it out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That being said, are there any combination of traits that are almost as good as that one big on? Being in a representative democracy with both quick learner and talented seems like it could be a good combination, since the bonuses leaders give seem to be a respectable Empire wide boost.

Venerable is exceptionally good for leaders. Saves you lots of influence if you are busy spending it elsewhere, let's them sit at higher skill for longer meaning faster science and stuff.

Combining Very Strong and Industrious can give you a huge mineral advantage. That''s a 25% bonus to minerals extracted planetside. I think that might be too expensive to do out of the box now though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It also involves microing like a mofo and sweet jesus I don't want to do that

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Venerable is exceptionally good for leaders. Saves you lots of influence if you are busy spending it elsewhere, let's them sit at higher skill for longer meaning faster science and stuff.

Replacing leaders is also just annoying as gently caress.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It also involves microing like a mofo and sweet jesus I don't want to do that

What does?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

What does?
The resource bonuses to pops, especially if you start with points to spare to create sub-species that are specialized.

I tried that once as intelligent materialists with three subraces specialized in different research and it uhh, wasn't great.

Also very strong is 3 points which is a joke for how garbage it is; Armies are useless

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I really can't wait for Utopia because I almost always end up robots and the human/AI transition is currently so clunky.

Flesh is just so inefficient though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GlyphGryph posted:

Theres no xenophilia there though. Thats like claiming you love dogs and thats why you took one and chopped off its head and grafted the body to your hip to keep it alive.

If a human hive organism can have pet dogs, regular hives should at least be able to have pet species in their empires.

Also based on what we have seen I dont understand how the idea of converting pops to not be hive minded anymore would even possibly make sense. They arent being mind controlled, they are appendages.

That would be like someone chopping off your hand to "free it" and modifying it to live independentantly. What would that even mean, haha. Closest I can came is putting the brain of one of your dudes into the drones and wearing it as a flesh suit.

I do hope hive minders can actually conquer and integrate other hive mind pops though. Let me kill my enemies and gain their power by grafting their body parts to my own!

this is all completely solved and resolved.

You just need to be able to manipulate Ѱ.

also I was basically beat one post after yours, so did anyone else notice the :black101: BLOOD COURT :black101:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still think we're missing a robot type between "Like a human but worse at everything except mining" and "better than organics in every possible way". Synths should just be no penalties to energy and research and a mining bonus, then something above that for the +20% across the board. And have those ones be the ones who are much more likely to start an AI rebellion since they're outright superior.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
And also I think it's pretty dumb to create something that can kill you, which is why I'm a lil irritated you can't have robot traits when you build them. Heck, you could use the exact same trait system and have things that would decrease cost or increase/decrease income.

You could even have bio-robots, which would have growth?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If the planet AI was better about moving pops around to the correct tiles I'd love to have multiple lines of robots. lovely weak little brain bots with like a +20% research bonus to a single field but weak and useless for everything else. Specialized mining bots, combat bots and so on. But that's a lot of micro and pop types. Perhaps specialized robots should simply be upgrades to buildings. "mining robots, +1 minerals per mine" something flat and simple like that.

I'm honestly just not the biggest fan of the pop and grid system. It breaks down in a lot of ways once you want to do anything different with it, it's very micro-managey for little reward, and the AI has a super hard time with it. I'd have been totally happy with Victoria style pops and planet maps maybe divided into at most a dozen territories all with their own climates and bonuses based on the planet type.

Like you're human and you start on earth. There's a cool custom earth map divided into a territory per continent, plus one for each ocean and antarctica. As the game goes on you might research "undersea mining" or "floating cities" which let you colonize the ocean territories. Some tech that lets you develop the antarctic and so on. Maybe you've colonized a desert planet and most of the territories are way too hot and dry for you, forcing your species to just live on the poles. Over time you of course get more tech to let you both change the climate of the planet and adapt to territories with harsh conditions. Alternatively maybe you meet a friendly race of ocean-people and you sign a migration treaty and let them live in the earth's oceans.

For buildings they'd work pretty much the same for resources, just much fewer grids to worry about since a typical planet would have 4-12 territories. Research and special planet-wide bonus improvements would be more like factories in v2 that exist in the "state capital" which would represent the urban centres of the planet. Pops could all have actual populations and you could have fun stuff like over-crowding and unemployment, techs to improve the population capacity of territories and so on. You could have a situation where you get a tech that makes your mines much more automated and now you've got unemployed miners to deal with. Do you have other jobs on the planets to let them shuffle to? Maybe they should immigrate to the colonies where jobs are plentiful! Maybe you have good social services which make unemployed pops much less upset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Fuuuuuck this comes out Apr 7th and I have to leave town on contract on the 24th. That may leave me a couple weeks but drat it that's not enough. I want to do a cybernetic empire, go full WH40k chaos with the shroud, a hive mind, carnivorous plants/reptiles that eat everything in sight, and so much more.

E: Also I was thinking more about co-op play in Stellaris and I think it'd be extremely cool if you could enable an option that forced placement of player empires to be close. So like me and my buddy Joe could make do a ring start and force close spawning of our empires and just spread in either direction, splitting the galaxy. I don't know, it just strikes me as the kind of option that would appeal to co-op multiplayers like my friend and I while also not taking any skin off the rear end of competitive players who just wouldn't enable close player empire spawns or whatever. I'd just love to be able to do in Stellaris like we did with the Free American Empire and Integralist Brazil in HOI where he conquered all of N. America and I conquered S. America and then we formed the United American Dominion alliance and split the whole world continent by continent. Europe and Asia were the Free American Empire's and my Integralist Brazil took Africa, Australia, and a few of the small islands around both.

Iunno I just think it'd be cool to have an option in Stellaris that forced player empires to be placed close together.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 27, 2017

• Locked thread