Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

MikeJF posted:

Hey is there any way to view and spin around the model of lockbox ships? I don't actually want one but I want to be able to look at and zoom in on it and you can do that with the store interface for C-store ships but can't with lockbox. I wanna take a quick peek at some of the details on the franklin.

Sadly, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Just got on, game is a everything has 30 second lag rubberbanding shitfest right now. Not entirely unexpected but goddamn I just wanted to shoot things :stonkhat:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MREBoy posted:

Just got on, game is a everything has 30 second lag rubberbanding shitfest right now. Not entirely unexpected but goddamn I just wanted to shoot things :stonkhat:

Close chrome or any other browsers you use before trying to play STO. Why? I can't give you a fancy scientific answer but it makes a world of difference.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DancingShade posted:

Close chrome or any other browsers you use before trying to play STO. Why? I can't give you a fancy scientific answer but it makes a world of difference.

Probably a RAM problem, as in you don't have enough.

Most browsers these days are just disgusting ram hogs. Doubly so if you're broke brained like me and have upwards of a dozen tabs going at once. Plus all the other random bullshit that goes on in the background of computers these day. Look at task manager right now my browser is using 1.5 gigs of RAM and between that and video game launchers, discord, etc. I'm at about 44% usage out of a total of 16GB. That's me being lazy, though. If i try to prune some poo poo I can take it down.

If you're having issues where closing a browser helps a game either install more ram or start looking into what's eating it up when you're not really doing anything.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Yeaaaaah lack of RAM wasn't the problem. Pressing Complete on finished DOFF jobs had a 20-30+ second delay before I got the rewards. The one session I tried yesterday lasted 5 minutes before I got Server Not Responding or whatever that tiny red text is and said fuckit for the day.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MREBoy posted:

Yeaaaaah lack of RAM wasn't the problem. Pressing Complete on finished DOFF jobs had a 20-30+ second delay before I got the rewards. The one session I tried yesterday lasted 5 minutes before I got Server Not Responding or whatever that tiny red text is and said fuckit for the day.

What kind of internet are you on?

Once in a blue moon I'll get rubber banding and occasionally I"ll get a second or two delay on doff job completions like you're saying, but nothing that extreme.

I'm on a (relatively, compared to your machine) paltry 16GB ram and a 3.7ghz 2700x

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

They should go back and re-do the visual effects for the Undine/8472 space set. Should add little bio-ship chunks to a ship like the borg set. Might be the only other set they can justify doing that for.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

What kind of internet are you on?

Once in a blue moon I'll get rubber banding and occasionally I"ll get a second or two delay on doff job completions like you're saying, but nothing that extreme.

I'm on a (relatively, compared to your machine) paltry 16GB ram and a 3.7ghz 2700x

Comcast 250/15 and I'm the only one using it. I'm 99.99% sure that the lagfest was because everyone and their dog/tribble/caracal was on that day (early afternoon XMas day). Last night everything was back to relative normal and no hiccups so far tonight.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Was it happening in a particular zone or everywhere?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably a RAM problem, as in you don't have enough.

I reckon it's the actual GUI in STO running on ancient inefficient java or similar code that doesn't play well with modern browsers running at the same time.

Worth remembering this started life as a 32 bit DX9 title and the pizza stuffing is legacy code spaghetti.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Any opinions on the best fleet T6 science vessel that isn't the Scryer?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Hunter Noventa posted:

Any opinions on the best fleet T6 science vessel that isn't the Scryer?
There's the Fleet Nautilus, a Temporal Science Vessel (no, not that one) with four Tactical slots, and decent boff seating. Plus, TOS ballship.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lorak posted:

There's the Fleet Nautilus, a Temporal Science Vessel (no, not that one) with four Tactical slots, and decent boff seating. Plus, TOS ballship.

You don't get the ballship skin without spending Zen though. Honestly I'll probably grab the Dauntless or the Laeosa, the latter has better stats, the singularity abilities and a cloak.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
When the best part of your game is the character editor:

https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/02/star-wars-comes-to-star-trek-online-thanks-to-some-creative-use-of-the-character-builder/

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
Going to purge the Dental roster of members who haven't logged in since January 2019, not that it matters much these days.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

faxmachine posted:

Going to purge the Dental roster of members who haven't logged in since January 2019, not that it matters much these days.

So like 99% of fleet then? Seems drastic.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Lagomorphic posted:

So like 99% of fleet then? Seems drastic.

Drastic times, my friend.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I decided to jump back in after years away. Doing a little better on the space side than last time, but I still find the interface to be messy, and the ground portion is... not good.

That said it looks better than I remember and I'm going to muddle through all these game mechanics I don't understand and see if things improve.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Dick Trauma posted:

I decided to jump back in after years away. Doing a little better on the space side than last time, but I still find the interface to be messy, and the ground portion is... not good.

That said it looks better than I remember and I'm going to muddle through all these game mechanics I don't understand and see if things improve.

If you right click on the secondary and primary fire keys for your ground weapon, it’ll enable auto fire, which makes ground combat a lot more tolerable.

The second best way to enjoy STO is to log back in/reinstall once every few months to catch up on the new story content. The best way to enjoy STO is to read the ongoing LP, which is now being run by myself and Cythereal.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Promote Nbreeki he's earned his stripes in the trenches.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Dick Trauma posted:

That said it looks better than I remember

They added a new lighting system at some point, and it’s a massive improvement.

The game is still a sputtering jalopy in so many ways, but at least there’s that.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Man, I realized I missed all but 4 days of the winter event. Can you still get the ship next year or is that dead now

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

you're hosed

Can theoretically pay off the rest with lobi though, even if it's like 40 per day or something.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Rip. No barge of the dead for me

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So many traits. Ground traits. Space traits. Cooking traits. I chose "High-Speed Chopping" so I could get that 5% onion dicing boost.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/status/1214597016644280320

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

:spock:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I can't believe they got Morn in the booth.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
And someone new today:

https://twitter.com/CaptainGeko/status/1214976438748643328

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I'm excited for the 10th anniversary because even if it's very bad or very good it will be very entertaining.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The missions they make for the anniversaries are usually pretty high quality. And hey at least it'll be another free ship.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

IMHO a cool choice for an anniversary ship would be the Promellian battlecruiser.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been reading the STO LP, and it's got me all nostalgic for the game again. Do the macro commands here still work? And are there any upcoming recruitment events? I want to try start out a TOS character.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Been reading the STO LP, and it's got me all nostalgic for the game again. Do the macro commands here still work? And are there any upcoming recruitment events? I want to try start out a TOS character.

Keybinds are now easier than ever thanks to an open-source program called STO Keybind Generator.

I actually need to clean mine up - I’m loving up a lot of screenshots because I have heals set to my space bar macro. These days it’s better to have a separate key for heals and another for buffs, largely because you can use your heal key to trigger the speed buff on the applicable Competitive Engines for a free evasive manoeuvres.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

faxmachine posted:

Hmmm. How long would I have to do star jumps in ESD before I get invited to $randomfleet?

Also, what does this mean for items in cold storage?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Cold storage is safe from 8yr olds

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Coq au Nandos posted:

Keybinds are now easier than ever thanks to an open-source program called STO Keybind Generator.

Just wanted to thank you for this, it really helped!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Just wanted to thank you for this, it really helped!

You can even make a separate macro for ground content. Same principle as space - put your weapons on auto fire, shove all your buffs onto a hot bar and chuck the whole thing onto a spare mouse button or whatever.

When setting up auto fire on ground weapons, make sure to right click the secondary fire first, so the auto fire prioritises using that mode whenever it’s off cool down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Coq au Nandos posted:

When setting up auto fire on ground weapons, make sure to right click the secondary fire first, so the auto fire prioritises using that mode whenever it’s off cool down.

I tried doing this, but for some reason my weapons won't fire. I still have to put the 'shoot guns' options in the tray. It's no big deal though, since I don't really have so many powers I need more than one (yet) and ground combat's dead easy.

in other news, I am mentally 12:

I don't know what it says about me that I was giggling like a madman when I got this idea, and burst laughing when I finished it.