Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Giga Gaia posted:

alton did that hot ones show (terrible, dont know why i watch it) and was annoyed no one offered him tequila shots

ill fight for hot ones all day. sean and the crew dig up interesting questions and have an interesting gimmick imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

watch the post Malone episode, if you please

The Tyra Banks episode is the best one

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Giga Gaia posted:

alton did that hot ones show (terrible, dont know why i watch it) and was annoyed no one offered him tequila shots

i liked when he threw the sauce

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
the first weird thing i did w/this batch o f chili crisp was make spicy mayo for a sandwich

mince it up stir it in, lots of good lingering heat & like complex nutty/garlicky flavor

helped me make peace w/half-assing the toppings

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

seattle plague rat posted:

the first weird thing i did w/this batch o f chili crisp was make spicy mayo for a sandwich

mince it up stir it in, lots of good lingering heat & like complex nutty/garlicky flavor

looks dope, for some reason i thought you were vegan but obvs not

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

pan bagnat with cannellini beans for me on the left, tuna in oil for housemates on the right. from bottom to top it has mixed olive tapenade with dijon, tomatoes, protein, red onion, blanched green beans, capers, eggs, and garlic olive oil. i was in a time crunch when i was making it so i had to leave out roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts, but next time those are in for sure.

e: there was not nearly enough juice in this guy, next time double the sauce

Chard has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Nov 4, 2020

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Happy Decemberfest!

We missed out on Oktoberfest because of obvious reasons, but my wife arranged to get some sausage from a little town nearby, but then that all got delayed because of forest fires. So now here it is in early November, and I figured we might as well try to celebrate something. We have:

- ring sausage smoked on the grill for a couple hours
- braised red cabbage with plenty of bacon
- dark rye hot dog buns
- homemade currywurst sauce
- mustard medley: spicy brown, spicy curry, stone ground
- gewurztraminer, basically diabeetus in a bottle (we're not really beer people)

We got those rye dog buns based on a suggestion from the butcher. They smell amazing. I'm so full of meat now, but I can't stop thinking about the leftovers tomorrow with some smashed red taters.

I didn't get a good pic of the cabbage. The purple with the fresh parsley looked almost Christmasy.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

fischtick posted:

Happy Decemberfest!

We missed out on Oktoberfest because of obvious reasons, but my wife arranged to get some sausage from a little town nearby, but then that all got delayed because of forest fires. So now here it is in early November, and I figured we might as well try to celebrate something. We have:

- ring sausage smoked on the grill for a couple hours
- braised red cabbage with plenty of bacon
- dark rye hot dog buns
- homemade currywurst sauce
- mustard medley: spicy brown, spicy curry, stone ground
- gewurztraminer, basically diabeetus in a bottle (we're not really beer people)

We got those rye dog buns based on a suggestion from the butcher. They smell amazing. I'm so full of meat now, but I can't stop thinking about the leftovers tomorrow with some smashed red taters.

I didn't get a good pic of the cabbage. The purple with the fresh parsley looked almost Christmasy.

gdamn that looks good as gently caress

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Made a Quiche Lorraine based off this recipe:
https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/quiche-lorraine.html

Third time I've made it and they turn out great. I added crushed porcini, garlic, and a bit of fresh parsley to this one, with a bit less cream and an extra egg yolk. No nutmeg. Breakfast for a week!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's chanterelle season everyone. I ate a half pound of them last night after sautéing them in butter and a sprig of rosemary and have zero regrets.

(ate them with steamed broccoli, braised chicken breast, and twice baked potatoes)

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
I don't really post much but Xaris has been pushing me to be more active in CSPAM (and just in general) sooo

Tonight I put together some sort of a pastiche of a Thai curry with whatever I had laying around

Served over some basic bitch regular white rice that was bought at the start of the pandemic (when all the jasmine and basmati rice had already been cleared out)

The rice kind of came out that perfect way that just plumped or souped up in the curry and I'm pretty danged proud of it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sandball posted:

I don't really post much but Xaris has been pushing me to be more active in CSPAM (and just in general) sooo

Tonight I put together some sort of a pastiche of a Thai curry with whatever I had laying around

Served over some basic bitch regular white rice that was bought at the start of the pandemic (when all the jasmine and basmati rice had already been cleared out)

The rice kind of came out that perfect way that just plumped or souped up in the curry and I'm pretty danged proud of it.

Looks good! You definitely

1) should post more, come to the Trurmmp thread and post "tarrmo"

2) didn't steal enough hot mustard packets your last run. DO. BETTER.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I made good old American hard shell tacos tonight, and I've been trying to use ground turkey more instead of ground beef for health reasons. But I'm having a hard time getting past the flavor. It just smells like poultry when it's cooking, and it's weirdly pronounced. So I looked at the package and saw that they add loving rosemary extract to their ground turkey, I guess in an effort to make it taste more like what people think of as turkey instead of the blandness it is? I don't know. It was quite annoying and I'm going to have to check ingredients from now on.

sandball posted:

looks good! what kind of curry paste did you use?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I made good old American hard shell tacos tonight, and I've been trying to use ground turkey more instead of ground beef for health reasons. But I'm having a hard time getting past the flavor. It just smells like poultry when it's cooking, and it's weirdly pronounced. So I looked at the package and saw that they add loving rosemary extract to their ground turkey, I guess in an effort to make it taste more like what people think of as turkey instead of the blandness it is? I don't know. It was quite annoying and I'm going to have to check ingredients from now on.

yeah ground turkey shouldn't really have a whole lot of smell or taste to it, should be p bland and if you're doing tacos then any sort of mass dumping of cumin, coriander, cayenne, chilli powder, etc should overpower it very quickly

i would buy it from a local butcher if you can to make sure its unflavored

that said I also highly vouch for Trader Joe's soyrizo as a vegan ground-beef alternative; especially if you want to get away from american meat industry products in general, of which ground is usually the shittiest "fell on the floor and left behind the cabinet" quality as you can get. it's also really cheap for a tube.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Maesri's massaman curry paste. It was one of the ones from the Asian market I could get both in bulk (1kg was like $8) and also shrimp free (I have family that's allergic).

It's pretty basic but incredibly serviceable.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
I'm obsessed with whole chicken cookery lately, it's a great way to try out different techniques and the cost to quality ratio can't be beat. Usually I'll just brine with salt and sugar, make sure the skin is dry as possible and do the Jacques pepine method of 20 minutes per side

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we’ve been going with 96 or 97% lean for health reasons. it’s just better tasting than the turkey.

also impossible and beyond are better than turkey if you’re only looking to cut dietary cholesterol and not sat fats.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

thetan_guy42 posted:

I'm obsessed with whole chicken cookery lately, it's a great way to try out different techniques and the cost to quality ratio can't be beat. Usually I'll just brine with salt and sugar, make sure the skin is dry as possible and do the Jacques pepine method of 20 minutes per side

sheet pan with root veggies (potatoes carrots parsnips turnips celery root what ever ya have) salt, thyme, tarragon, celery seed. don’t over load the pan. chicken on a cookie rack setting on the sheet pan so it’s above the root vegetables. salt, thyme, tarragon on the turkey. Cook at the right temp and time for your chicken size . about 3/4 of the way through pull it out, dump the liquids in the chicken cavity onto the roots on the sheet pan, put back in for the rest of the time.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Nov 10, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

seattle plague rat posted:

ngl every time I see your posts I want to make chili crisp. How good is gochugaru, or whatever that Korean chili is, for it as a primary pepper to build from? I have a 1 pound bag of it that could use something to go towards outside of spicing up fried rice

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Xaris posted:

yeah ground turkey shouldn't really have a whole lot of smell or taste to it, should be p bland and if you're doing tacos then any sort of mass dumping of cumin, coriander, cayenne, chilli powder, etc should overpower it very quickly

that said I also highly vouch for Trader Joe's soyrizo as a vegan ground-beef alternative; especially if you want to get away from american meat industry products in general, of which ground is usually the shittiest "fell on the floor and left behind the cabinet" quality as you can get. it's also really cheap for a tube.

I would definitely prefer a local butcher but covid is skyrocketing here so I'm just doing the easiest, cheapest grocery pickup I can right now, which is also part of the problem for sure.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

we’ve been going with 96 or 97% lean for health reasons. it’s just better tasting than the turkey.

also impossible and beyond are better than turkey if you’re only looking to cut dietary cholesterol and not sat fats.

these are also good possibilities but way more expensive than ground turkey unfortunately.

sandball posted:

Maesri's massaman curry paste. It was one of the ones from the Asian market I could get both in bulk (1kg was like $8) and also shrimp free (I have family that's allergic).

It's pretty basic but incredibly serviceable.

I love Maesri. I use the panang a lot

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

thetan_guy42 posted:

I love my dutch oven and will use it any time I can. Cooking a whole bird in it is great, and you can add taters/veg at the half-way point and they'll cook too! You cook it half-way with the lid on to trap moisture. The second half of the cook is lid-off so you get nice skin.

If you're not into that, spatchcock the bird! Cut out that backbone and give a press on the chest to flatten it out, then put it on some veg and some thyme sprigs. Crisp skin, but a whole lotta juice/fat, so sometimes the taters get a little schmaltzy. For a few years I was butchering my turkeys at Thanksgiving and braising the parts instead of roasting, but once I spatchcocked my turkey I never went back.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whole roasted chicken recipes? here ya go

I made this last night again and it's always amazing

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

definitely let it bake for the full 2.5-3hrs

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

fischtick posted:

If you're not into that, spatchcock the bird! Cut out that backbone and give a press on the chest to flatten it out, then put it on some veg and some thyme sprigs. Crisp skin, but a whole lotta juice/fat, so sometimes the taters get a little schmaltzy. For a few years I was butchering my turkeys at Thanksgiving and braising the parts instead of roasting, but once I spatchcocked my turkey I never went back.

yup, I spatchcock my t-day turkey and it rocks. everyone spatch a cock

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

whole roasted chicken recipes? here ya go

I made this last night again and it's always amazing

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-roast-gochujang-chicken

definitely let it bake for the full 2.5-3hrs

This looks amazing and I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yup, I spatchcock my t-day turkey and it rocks. everyone spatch a cock

It cooks so fast! We're a staunch "Thanksgiving dinner is served at dinnertime" house. I'll start getting antsy at noon, thinking I gotta get the stove warmed up or something, but no! There's still hours to go before that noise. Plus, either my turkey selecting game or my roasting game is up in the last few years, because the white meat coming outta those birds has been top drawer. Top. Drawer.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

fischtick posted:

It cooks so fast! We're a staunch "Thanksgiving dinner is served at dinnertime" house. I'll start getting antsy at noon, thinking I gotta get the stove warmed up or something, but no! There's still hours to go before that noise. Plus, either my turkey selecting game or my roasting game is up in the last few years, because the white meat coming outta those birds has been top drawer. Top. Drawer.

omgosh same! we usually eat around 4 or 5 and I totally get antsy too. I usually roast it first, and while that's going I get the other stuff for the oven together, and then bake that stuff when the turkey is out. It still stays plenty hot for that hour or so. it's sooooo nice to not have the oven taken up ALL day and the breast meat is way better for sure.

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi. I don't go outside much but I really like pasta roni. I kept buying milk just for pasta roni and it kept going bad. I bought some whole powdered milk and just tried it out this morning and it's super convenient and I can't tell the difference now I can live on pasta roni forever that is my story goodbye

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Xaris posted:

poo poo, I remember coming in for opening and the prep crew would be doing poo poo like grinding the meat for burgers and such, we'd pick little bits of it right out and eat it raw.

I had to actively retrain myself to not instinctively quality test raw ground meat when I moved to Florida.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Marx Was A Lib posted:

poo poo, I remember coming in for opening and the prep crew would be doing poo poo like grinding the meat for burgers and such, we'd pick little bits of it right out and eat it raw.

I had to actively retrain myself to not instinctively quality test raw ground meat when I moved to Florida.

boy do I have the dish for you: the cannibal sandwich!

https://www.wpr.org/cannibal-sandwiches-polarizing-and-misunderstood-wisconsin-tradition

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

hell yeah

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Man I miss tartare

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

thetan_guy42 posted:

Man I miss tartare

I mean the Heinz tartar sauce is pretty decent

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I ate a sandwich today

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That turkey with the rosemary extract has rosemary as an antibacterial agent or something. It's annoying.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

twoday posted:

I ate a sandwich today

samesies

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i think you need to take that sandwich to a doctor

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i think i'm gonna try making a Cuban sandwich pizza

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thai curry tonight

food photography is hard!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
made some Thai spiced rice bowls, always a good relative quick dinner to whip up in under an hour

https://cookieandkate.com/thai-spiced-rice-bowls-recipe/print/28310/ i do it with baked tofu, comes out nice and crispy and then soaks up the broth

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Nov 11, 2020

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

Marx Was A Lib posted:

i think i'm gonna try making a Cuban sandwich pizza

i wanna see how this turns out. prototyping odd pizzas is fun as heck.

like doing a fried egg pizza with goat cheese

or a beef hash pizza with a hollandaise sauce for the, well, sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
My kids love Japanese curry, over the weekend they visited so I made katsu curry and now I might never cook the meat any other way - I oven-fried the katsus following a Just One Cookbook recipe that called for toasting the panko in a skillet before breading the meat up. With only vegetables in the curry, I added extra shallots and shimeji mushrooms to fill in for the lack of meat. When it's just me and my wife I may try it with Quorn nuggets - I like them but they're a little bit weird on their own.