Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What are the requirements for being a governor (as rome)? Whenever the office is vacant, most of the characters in the list of replacements won't actually get put in the slot if I click on them and there's no indication for why. This only happens for governors. I just click through the list until some dude finally slots in.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What are the requirements for being a governor (as rome)? Whenever the office is vacant, most of the characters in the list of replacements won't actually get put in the slot if I click on them and there's indication for why. This only happens for governors. I just click through the list until some dude finally slots in.

Sounds like a bug or a mod issue to me; I’ve never had any issues assigning whoever I want as a gov

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Wafflecopper posted:

If you have enough influence to make more than one city per province you’re expanding too slowly :colbert:

Can confirm, this is what messed up my first 2.0 game and getting more aggressive has helped immensely.

Agean90 posted:

i need to stockpile the influence to keep my governor and legates from causing a civil war tho

I will admit that getting rid of an annoying governor by intentionally botching a trial so the kick off their attempt at power while my cohorts are ready to strike is satisfying tho

Also this. I tried it once in an earlier version and some pissant managed to rally half the country when it failed, so I kind of wrote off ever putting characters on trial again. But it turns out that imprisoning your political rivals (or letting them run wild and then crucifying them) does wonders to keep the government running smoothly and I wish I had been doing it all along.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What are the requirements for being a governor (as rome)? Whenever the office is vacant, most of the characters in the list of replacements won't actually get put in the slot if I click on them and there's no indication for why. This only happens for governors. I just click through the list until some dude finally slots in.

actually i just had another thought, you might be clicking on their portrait instead of their stat bar. the portrait closes the province window and goes to their character screen but won't select them for the position. click on their stat bar instead

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

It doesn't reduce the slave count for goods, so it's +30% production for slaves and that is mere +0.005 gold/month from each slave there.
50% food is the more important bonus because it helps feed the cities of the province, but that shouldn't be a problem unless you made too many territories into cities, up to 3 usually have no food issues anyway.

Yeah, I was hoping the bonus to slave income (goddammit we're all going to hell) would be substantial but holy hell it's extremely not worth it. I'm just going to build up cities now, even cities in bad spots; better way to spend money.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Playing as the Antigonids, I deliberately let Egypt and the Selukids take over the eastern party of the kingdom while I conquered Macedon and Thrace. Now Antigonus is dead but the Antigonid Cause Wavers event didn't fire so I can't get any of the missions for losing Asia. I did conquer Corinth but I lost several of the other cities I'm supposed to hold on to. I tried forming Macedon but it doesn't give me either of the non-Antipatrid Macedon missions. Does the event fire on the death of Antigonus or am I supposed to wait? It seems I screwed myself by not failing the right amount.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
It would happen on Antigonus’ death if it were going to happen.

Did you take Corinth before losing the eastern territory and enact the decision named something like “Secure the Antigonid Position” that’s available if you control all the territories at once? That disables the Antigonid Cause Wavers event.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Is there a sure fire way to get the Julii as a family when playing as Rome? I know there's a mercenary from the Julii family but I don't know how to naturalize him.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sio posted:

It would happen on Antigonus’ death if it were going to happen.

Did you take Corinth before losing the eastern territory and enact the decision named something like “Secure the Antigonid Position” that’s available if you control all the territories at once? That disables the Antigonid Cause Wavers event.

Yeah. The description makes it sound like you have to hold on to all the required cities, but the event trigger works like you said.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago on sale but haven’t had time to play it until this weekend. So far I like it and it’s rather enjoyable to not really know what I’m doing, compared to eu4 and Vicky 2.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair no one knows what they are doing in Vicky 2

And it wouldn’t help anything anyway

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
In Victoria I at least know how to industrialize pretty much any country and make them into a great power, even if I don't really understand all the details of it. Here I have no idea what to do to optimize my country but I am at least having fun. Started a game as Venice and expanded quite easily southeast. I allied with Rome to keep them on my good side but now they've conquered all the way north to my border and I just got the icon that they are planning to break the alliance.

Star fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 22, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Star posted:

In Victoria I at least know how to industrialize pretty much any country and make them into a great power, even if I don't really understand all the details of it. Here I have no idea what to do to optimize my country but I am at least having fun. Started a game as Venice and expanded quite easily southeast. I allied with Rome to keep them on my good side but now they've conquered all the way north to my border and I just got the icon that they are planning to break the alliance.

Rome aggressively befriending everyone is very historically accurate tbh

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Star posted:

Keep calling them into wars, they can't break the alliance if they're in a war with you

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wafflecopper posted:

Keep calling them into wars, they can't break the alliance if they're in a war with you

I haven't had the chance as they've been calling me into wars constantly but that seems to work as well. Now I only need to understand why the province of Dalmatia's loyalty is dropping fast and why my research efficiency is so bad. Is it generally better to try and integrate the major cultural groups in your nation?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I think I'm in a sweet spot at the moment where the game kind of makes sense but I haven't noticed its flaws yet because right now I am really liking the game a lot.

I think someone said it above but it feels the most simulation-y of the Paradox games and I'm impressed how often the mechanics feed into each other. There's something cool about setting various wheels in motion and then watching your pops / nation / characters slowly change.

I know people say the tribal stuff is not very padded out but I think the goal of turning a tribe into a monarchy is a pretty good way to introduce various parts of the game. It forces you to start manipulating centralisation, civilisation level, and leader popularity at the very least.

Star posted:

I haven't had the chance as they've been calling me into wars constantly but that seems to work as well. Now I only need to understand why the province of Dalmatia's loyalty is dropping fast and why my research efficiency is so bad. Is it generally better to try and integrate the major cultural groups in your nation?

If there's a culture that has roughly the same number of pops (or more) as your main culture then I think integrating them is a good idea? Because assimilating that many is gonna take a long time.

But I also think that integrating more pops can tank your research ratio because it's the ratio of research output to integrated pops (for some reason?)

I think province loyalty is a direct result of territory unrest which is a direct result of pop happiness. There is a province policy called "harsh treatment" which increases loyalty (while also decreasing pop happiness, so weirdly you add to the problem at the same time as solving it).

To be honest it sometimes feels like you can pretty much ignore internal economics / pop demographics and just keep conquering and watching the numbers go up. Like yeah most of your pops will be basically unhappy but it takes a lot for them to actually be disloyal.

As a tribal nation most of my internal meddling was just to try and bump up my research output, so concentrating citizens and nobles in cities and building buildings which increase research output (is there anything else?)

The second priority would be adding more trade routes in provinces because most of your income comes from commerce. There's a province action (the four little buttons on the province overview, not sure what they're called) that does this but it costs political influence which is usually your rarest resource. Trade routes can also appear organically if there are enough pops in a city (I think? or just the province?) but I have never seen this happen yet.

The third priority is I guess trying to get certain territories to produce two or more trade goods instead of just one. You can do this by moving loads of slaves there, but I've never managed this way. The easier way is to turn a settlement into a city.

I feel like governor province policies are an area that can have a big impact, but I tend to just put them on "optimise trade" (or whatever the commerce boost one is called). The AI governors always seem to pick "local autonomy"...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Province loyalty is one of the things that can be most difficult to understand but it's basically caused by unrest + some other factors, unrest is caused by pops being unhappy, unhappiness is generally caused by wrong culture, wrong religion and tribesmen being pissed off because they don't like civilisation.

So the best way to make provinces loyal is to culture / religion convert them (or integrate) and to build cities to convert pops into freemen and citizens which are generally better behaved. Ideally every single province you own will have at least one city in it so that you can make more pops into citizens and nobles, and use it as a hub for cultural conversion, and generally be more productive.

Also governor loyalty > 50 increases provincial loyalty and governor corruption decreases it. Being loyal and not corrupt is probably the most important factor for governors with mil and admin skills being secondary.

fuf posted:

I feel like governor province policies are an area that can have a big impact, but I tend to just put them on "optimise trade" (or whatever the commerce boost one is called). The AI governors always seem to pick "local autonomy"...

The religious conversion policy is almost a no-brainer in any area which isn't at least 80% or so your religion, because it's so much faster than the cultural assimilation policy. Which is also useful, but culture conversion is generally driven more by theaters and colonies than by conversion policies, unless you have a very gifted governor.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 22, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Oh I always forget about colonies. In fact I don't think I've ever used any of those culture decisions on the culture screen... (except integrating)

Is there a way to decrease character corruption?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah you can impose sanctions to remove corruption at the cost of loyalty, although it’s ruled out by certain personality traits

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

fuf posted:

Oh I always forget about colonies. In fact I don't think I've ever used any of those culture decisions on the culture screen... (except integrating)

Is there a way to decrease character corruption?

The only culture decisions I use are "honour guard" (it's free happiness for one integrated culture) and colonies on small cultures I want to convert where the decision target a city or a decent site for a new city. And the one that lets you adopt characters of other cultures. The other ones all cost stability or give hits to integrated culture happiness.

A strategy I've started using recently is installing talented loyal random character as governors and then adopting them. The down side of this is that some of them become pretenders, but the upside is that you keep your ruling family really happy and you never have to worry about a head of family randomly dying and giving his position to a different family member who is already a powerful governor. You can also just replace these people with fresh new adoptions whenever they get too unruly, the loss of family prestige from adoptions doesn't seem to be a problem as you generate more prestige from having lots of appointments. This probably doesn't work well for republics unless you have really long terms and can game the system to always get new consuls from the same family.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 22, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

RabidWeasel posted:

colonies on small cultures I want to convert where the decision target a city or a decent site for a new city.

I was informed the other day that this one targets the eligible territory with the most spare population capacity, which means you can game it. Useful, if a little clumsy!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I was informed the other day that this one targets the eligible territory with the most spare population capacity, which means you can game it. Useful, if a little clumsy!

Yeah, you can, but sometimes it really wants to target a crappy settlement in a province which already has a city in and it's more effort than it's worth to fix.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the help. I restarted as Epirus and focused on understanding the internal mechanisms, rather than expanding, and it has helped a bit. My research rate is a lot better and I am beginning to grasp how pop promotion and demotion works.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Star posted:

Thanks for all the help. I restarted as Epirus and focused on understanding the internal mechanisms, rather than expanding, and it has helped a bit. My research rate is a lot better and I am beginning to grasp how pop promotion and demotion works.

I've played as Epirus and indeed for some reason it has missions focused on internal development. There's a political crisis but there are "safe" options in most events.

It's basically inevitable that playing conservatively you will eventually be destroyed by Rome or Macedonia, so don't feel bad about it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah it's a shame that most of those missions don't work because Rome will steamroll across south Italy faster than you can grind through your first mission tree. And also the game is balanced so that the idea of Epirus ever having an army capable of standing up to Rome even slightly is a complete joke. They got a particularly bad deal in 2.0 but they were always weaker than they should be during this period where they were a major power (unfortunately for Epirus, Pyrrhus liked to start new wars before finishing the previous ones)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Epirus needs the antagonist bonuses more than Rome does lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm glad AI Rome expands well but I wish (based on my limited hours so far) they'd slow down a bit and focus more on Italy and then the med instead of the current situation where they'll be in Greece in 280 while the etruscans still exist and be blobbing across central Europe before they even consider fighting Carthage.

And yeah Pyrrhus could use some serious buffs so that the pyrrhic wars can actually happen.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Epirus needs the antagonist bonuses more than Rome does lol

It's funny because Epirus' capital province is already pretty stacked (most of the territories are full or nearly full of pops) but Rome has such an absurd advantage in that area (just Latium starts with 250ish pops which is completely absurd compared to basically everyone else) that it doesn't really help. Even with super aggressive AI I'm not sure that Epirus is likely to be able to do anything.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’ve actually completed the first tree and am now moving down the “dominate Greece” mission tree. Rome now borders me in the western balkans but at the moment we’re chill buddies.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’ve taken over the Pontos Euxinos and am now bordering superThrace and the Persians. Rome is my ally against the perfidious Thracians.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

My first two 2.0 games had Thrace massively blow up but in my current one they're just kind of there, I guess because the Seleucids managed to take from the Antigonids a bunch of the territory which usually goes over to Thrace by event.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm playing a Scordisci -> Galatia game and migrating is really powerful. I just cracked into GP rank, and I have like, 2500 Scordisci cultured pops. Being able to just centralize 10s of pops of your primary culture when settling is just incredibly powerful. I made a mistake by promoting citizen administrators from my second largest culture though, since it tanks citizen output. I was thinking it might be worth it to integrate a culture that has like 50 pops in the culture group of other, way bigger integrated cultures since the happiness bonus it gives for culture groups is massive, and that way the lower citizen output doesnt matter much.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Star posted:

I’ve actually completed the first tree and am now moving down the “dominate Greece” mission tree. Rome now borders me in the western balkans but at the moment we’re chill buddies.

There are no eternal chill buddies, only eternal interests.

Though I wonder if I:R AI is charged to stay friends. In EU4 you can work for it so that two superpowers are allies who trust each other. Which is probably wrong but that's what players want.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Though I wonder if I:R AI is charged to stay friends. In EU4 you can work for it so that two superpowers are allies who trust each other. Which is probably wrong but that's what players want.

Nah they will always want your territory eventually and there's no way to stop them from breaking alliance, which is fine really given the time period. The AI could do with being smarter about it but that's a different problem.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Nah they will always want your territory eventually and there's no way to stop them from breaking alliance, which is fine really given the time period. The AI could do with being smarter about it but that's a different problem.

Romans only want one thing and it's disgusting

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

Romans only want one thing and it's disgusting

all they want is simply a conquest of the entire known world, and an opulent megalopolis built by entire races of enslaved peoples using their looted wealth and resources. is that really so much to ask? is that not what we all dream of?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The real question is how to achieve this AS Megalopolis.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

fuf posted:

There is a province policy called "harsh treatment" which increases loyalty (while also decreasing pop happiness, so weirdly you add to the problem at the same time as solving it).

Harsh Treatment doesn't give unhappiness (I seem to remember it used to but if so it's been changed) and is by far the fastest way to build province loyalty. The tradeoff is the province has its output reduced, so it won't be as productive while you run the policy. It also gives a big boost to pop demotion speed so if you just took a city with a bunch of citizens and nobles and their culture isn't integrated yet, they'll demote quickly, so you might not want to run it if you plan to integrate them.

Local Autonomy also helps with loyalty indirectly by boosting pop happiness at the cost of output. On the other hand happier pops produce more so idk how net production is affected in the end. It's much less effective than Harsh Treatment for building loyalty but maybe you might use it on cultures you're integrating to avoid the demotion. Seems pretty edge case to me though, I never pick it but as someone mentioned AI govs fuckin love it so I often just leave it on to save on the cost of changing if the province isn't gonna rebel.

Conversion and Assimilation are the best for maintaining long-term happiness and loyalty without sacrificing output but they take a long time, especially before you get temples and theatres up and research Formulaic Worship and other conversion/assimilation/happiness inventions and laws. I use them when a province is off-religion/culture but isn't at risk of rebelling any time soon.

My overall strat for managing province loyalty is to beeline the inventions to unlock temples and theatres, and then Formulaic Worship, although I might delay the latter a bit if I'm playing somewhere I'll be taking a lot of same religion land at the start (Italy/Greece for eg). Then when I take off-culture/religion provinces I spam temples and theatres in all the cities while loyalty is still high enough to do so (can't build in disloyal (<33%) provinces). Even in provinces that are same religion/wrong culture or vice-versa I'll build both because they give a loyalty boost regardless. Unless loyalty is crashing hard I'll set conversion/assimilation policy, with conversion being the higher priority. Any provinces that don't stabilize I'll switch to Harsh Treatment when they hit disloyal or if I see they're going to soon anyway. All this only really applies early to mid game. Later in the game once you stack enough happiness and loyalty inventions it stops being an issue; even with high AE and War Exhaustion you can just go absolutely ham conquering everything as fast as you can and give no fucks whatsoever.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

You should treat province revolts like you treat EU4 rebels, a trivial and entirely non threatening annoyance that’ll probably pop up in new territory you conquer eventually.

Sometimes, you can prevent them rising up, and that’s a nice extra, but there’s no need to go out of your way for it. It’s even free AE reduction when you put them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Time spent putting them down is time you could have spent conquering someone else instead of conquering the same land twice! I managed to annex over half the map without ever getting a single revolt, I think I could have done a WC if I'd snowballed just a little faster and hit Cohorts a bit sooner.