Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I've seen conservatives rather split on how they think this issue should be dealt with. Some of them think they should stay out of it and let leftists and liberals destroy themselves. After all, they hate both institutions of higher learning and leftists so why stop them from destroying their own institutions and voter base? Unlike the BLM protests they can't even pretend protestors are "looting and burning down cities wholesale" and the message of the protestors is a lot more concise which leaves less room for ambiguity and bad faith interpretations.

They're full of contradictions which I understand is the point but sometimes it's amusing to think about scenarios that would go exactly the way they think they should. "They're just cosplaying they aren't being serious" (what to them is a serious student protest exactly?) "They should go protest in Gaza if they care so much" (which will somehow garner more respect from the right because they're so committed to their cause? :psyduck:) "The cops should just indiscriminately mow them down/mass deport the lot of them" (and when people protest even more in response, what then?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/The_Fulcrum/status/1791488252450361798?t=EzFxAikyHKh3FvsolfA36g&s=19

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

i think nitter.poast.org is dead. hasn't been working all day

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Spergin Morlock posted:

Looks like it is down. Here's the text:

"BREAKING: The University of Ottawa agrees to disclose a list of updated investments by June 1st. This comes after meetings with protest organizers have resumed this week and is the first of the protesters' four demands. (1/2)

In a Instagram post, INSAF and the PSA wrote "this does not mean our job is done — we, as student organizers, are in dialogue with administration about divestment. That means we need our communities ongoing support until the divestment demands are met." (2/2)"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Spergin Morlock posted:

Seems fine to me (other than the owners)

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Panfilo posted:

I've seen conservatives rather split on how they think this issue should be dealt with. Some of them think they should stay out of it and let leftists and liberals destroy themselves. After all, they hate both institutions of higher learning and leftists so why stop them from destroying their own institutions and voter base? Unlike the BLM protests they can't even pretend protestors are "looting and burning down cities wholesale" and the message of the protestors is a lot more concise which leaves less room for ambiguity and bad faith interpretations.

They're full of contradictions which I understand is the point but sometimes it's amusing to think about scenarios that would go exactly the way they think they should. "They're just cosplaying they aren't being serious" (what to them is a serious student protest exactly?) "They should go protest in Gaza if they care so much" (which will somehow garner more respect from the right because they're so committed to their cause? :psyduck:) "The cops should just indiscriminately mow them down/mass deport the lot of them" (and when people protest even more in response, what then?)

a lot to unpack to be sure...

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

God drat the yemeni kick rear end

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

ikanreed posted:

God drat the yemeni kick rear end

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Biden's doing the Morehouse commencement on Sunday, even though about half the students there are upset about it.

quote:

In the lull between the last classes of the school year and the start of finals season, a trio of seniors convene on one of the Morehouse quads: Jordan Washington, Wisler Charles and DeAngelo Fletcher.

With the lion's share of their years at the Atlanta HBCU behind them, they reflect on the handful of days ahead — specifically, graduation.

President Joe Biden is giving their commencement address on Sunday and campus has been abuzz for weeks.

Their friend group represents a spectrum of student opinion.

"I don't care who speaks," said Washington. "I just want to walk the stage. I want to celebrate with my family."

For Washington, the discourse about President Biden has eclipsed why this weekend's ceremony is so important.

"We're the COVID class of high school. So a lot of people didn't get graduations," he said. "And now it feels like [for] our college graduation ... people are focusing more on the speaker."

"Biden didn't do four years here," he said. "We did."

Wisler Charles feels similarly.

"Am I happy about Biden? Not really," he sighs. "If everything about our graduation is about Biden, it's going to be a problem for us and our families."

Charles said, "I know there's thoughts of protest," adding that some folks in his class approached him to join a silent demonstration, turning his back on Biden as he speaks. "Because my family has pushed me to this point and supported me up until this point ... I have an obligation to not turn my back."

The students are frustrated.

"I think it's kind of insulting that our star alumnus is Dr. [Martin Luther] King, but Biden has been on a tirade in the Middle East," said DeAngelo Fletcher. "Bringing him here — especially during an election year... to get the young Black vote especially, it's kind of insulting."

Fletcher is one of many Morehouse men who feel this way.

Some are protesting the president

It's not just current students who have expressed their concerns over the president's visit.

Hundreds of alumni from the Atlanta HBCU signed a letter, calling on the administration to rescind its invitation to President Biden because of his support of Israel in the ongoing conflict in Gaza.

The Biden administration says that they share the goal of a lasting peace in the Middle East. In recent weeks, Biden has called on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to take steps so that an "immediate ceasefire" can be put in place and more aid distributed in the region.

Yet underscoring that the civilian death toll is in the thousands, the alumni letter states that inviting President Biden is "a moral disaster and an embarrassment to the college."

Similar sentiments have inspired protests at colleges across the country. But these demonstrations haven't been as prominent on historically Black campuses.

That is why protesting Biden at Morehouse's graduation is such a big opportunity, said DeAngelo Fletcher.

The all-male college is one of the most prestigious HBCUs.

But Fletcher does not know if he would protest Biden himself. He's the youngest of seven and — like his two friends — wants to focus on his family at graduation.

"But if someone were to approach me and to ask [me] to protest in a way which I felt was tasteful, I would do it," he said.

Students are divided over the issue

According to Justin Darden — a senior with Morehouse's student newspaper, the Maroon Tiger — almost the entire Morehouse senior class is caught in this same limbo.

"When they first announced that Biden was coming, I think the whole daggone senior group chat basically blew up," he said.

The seniors were debating how best to express their frustration with Biden's military support for Israel.

Darden said there was "no excitement around Biden coming." But he's noticed a rift between those who want to protest and those who don't.

"Students are not blind," he said. "It's a social media world, so everybody sees what's going on in Gaza."

He said about half of his peers backed an active protest, while the other half did not.

A lot of us just want our families to see us walk," he said. "We never had the opportunity to. I think that's really what it is."

This wouldn't be the first time students at Atlanta's Black colleges have protested the conflict in Gaza. Darden said he's seen a lot of digital protests and some demonstrations on campus.

The Maroon Tiger reported that last fall, students across the Atlanta University Center — made up of Morehouse, Spelman College, Clark Atlanta University, and Morris Brown College — hosted events in support of Palestinians and demanded their school administrations take stances against the war in Gaza.

Anwar Karim is an organizer involved in some of that planning. But after participating in a student encampment at Emory University that was forcibly cleared by law enforcement, he's cautious.

"I can tell you from being there, that there were a lot more melanated folk who got arrested and got targeted and got harassed than white people," he said. "So we're taking all of that into consideration as an HBCU."

But he sees the commencement as an opportunity to send a message.

"So those of us who are standing on the right side of history in this Morehouse and AUC family... we have morals and we have humanity," he continued. "This President that [the administration is] bringing to our school does not reflect how we feel."

Morehouse is a strategic choice for Biden

Sunday's commencement is also an opportunity for Biden to send a message to Black voters ahead of the November election.

The Black vote in South Carolina was instrumental in his victory on Super Tuesday in 2020, starting a wave of momentum that propelled him through November. In Georgia — a swing state — Biden's looking to spark the same kind of support amongst what has been the Democrats most reliable voting bloc.

"So it's not surprising at all that he would do this, it's also not surprising that he would target Morehouse because of concerns that his support is fading, particularly amongst Black men," said Andra Gillespie, an Emory political scientist.

Presidents and first ladies have long used HBCU commencements to convey an agenda, she said, and that tracks back as far as the 1960s. More recently, Biden is following in the footsteps of former President Barack Obama, and First Lady Michelle Obama, who expanded this type of outreach.

Last year, Biden gave the commencement address at Howard, and prior to that, South Carolina State University.

"It's certainly appropriate to think that, like, there was some intentionality in terms of choosing this particular audience for a political reason," she said. "But Biden still has an opportunity to win people over by giving a really heartfelt and impassioned speech."

Looking ahead to the address

Morehouse President David Thomas is insistent that Biden speaks.

"This is one of those moments that Morehouse is called to," he said.

Morehouse extended a formal invitation to the White House in September, before the Oct. 7 Hamas attack in Israel. But as the war intensified — and calls for Thomas to rescind the invitation grew — he said he never reconsidered his decision.

He said Morehouse has a duty not to cancel or alter commencement, as other schools have done. In his words, that would make Morehouse a "plain, vanilla" institution.

His administration has a plan in place for protests.

"We have made clear to our students, you will not be sanctioned for silent, non-disruptive protests," he said.

"If Morehouse cannot hold those tensions that threaten to divide our country, then no place on the planet can hold those tensions."

Steve Benjamin, who leads the White House Office of Public Engagement, visited the campus to meet with some students and faculty earlier this week.

He says the president's visit is meant to highlight the accomplishments of Morehouse students.

"The goal will be to make sure that we use this as an opportunity to continue to elevate the amazing work that's been done at Morehouse over the last century and a half."

Speaking at a press briefing at the White House Thursday, Benjamin also said President Biden respects people's right to protest and he "makes it a point to lean in when there are protesters in the very same space."

There is a camp of students who feel the same as Thomas about graduation.

"Joe Biden [has] done things that might have been seen as controversial in his past," said Ronald David, a sophomore. "But still, it's important for you to have those people that you might not necessarily agree with."

He says if it were his graduation, he'd rather have someone Black — echoing a widespread sentiment on campus. But David adds that Biden might learn something from what folks call the "Morehouse mystique."

He said Biden could benefit from spending more time in Black spaces.

"Just because we don't necessarily resonate or agree with Joe Biden or think that he's the best speaker, it's important not to shun him or say that he isn't the best speaker or shouldn't be speaking and, instead, welcome that unity."

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

tristeham posted:

a lot to unpack to be sure...

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

a quick scan of past presidents of Morehouse and their career trajectories tells me this guy is prioritizing his future prospects over what his students want. giving Biden this speech is 100% about sucking up to the DNC.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

quote:

Of course this is the note they end on. *spits*

The man is eighty years old! No amount of magic is going to change who he is.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

quote:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
University of Chicago students take over political science building

======

University of Chicago students storm the Institute of Policy building‎
‎Students at the University of Chicago stormed the Institute of Politics building to protest the university's ties to Israel, the New York Times reported.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...?update=6550891

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
patriots are in control of our strategic politics reserve

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
in my neck of the woods

https://www.timesunion.com/hudsonvalley/news/article/bard-college-students-occupy-ludlow-19463457.php

Bard's a weird, weird case of turbolib rich hippie children / legacies, but also has a campus called "Al-Quds" and routinely hosts Palestinian speakers

also GEORGE SOROS just gave them a billion dollars if they can get it matched within 5 years or something

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

University of Chicago students take over political science building

======

University of Chicago students storm the Institute of Policy building‎
‎Students at the University of Chicago stormed the Institute of Politics building to protest the university's ties to Israel, the New York Times reported.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...?update=6550891

is that the building with swastika tile art in the stairwells or was that like anthropology or sociology?
i know their swastika quad reading desks at the library were finally got rid of.
swastika rear end campus over there

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Real hurthling! posted:

the jewish american heritage month graphics are now plastered all over my state's websites and have been appearing as promos on tv like even in nickelodeon-produced commercials between spongebob reruns. better luck next time Asian americans and pacific islanders, you can have may back once joe biden doesnt have the need to scold people for calling out israeli crimes during this very special month he invented 2 weeks ago.

lol even for a meaningless symbol of recognition they gotta steal from another genuinely aggrieved group

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Gunshow Poophole posted:

in my neck of the woods

https://www.timesunion.com/hudsonvalley/news/article/bard-college-students-occupy-ludlow-19463457.php

Bard's a weird, weird case of turbolib rich hippie children / legacies, but also has a campus called "Al-Quds" and routinely hosts Palestinian speakers

also GEORGE SOROS just gave them a billion dollars if they can get it matched within 5 years or something

bard should be permanently shuttered for foisting steely dan upon the world

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

insane clown pussy posted:

bard should be permanently shuttered for foisting steely dan upon the world

also the president is on the Epstein logs lol

good conductor though

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

and the dorms are loving deranged

and I haven't asked much about it but every alumni I have seen seems to harbor a simmering hatred for the institution, but that's every American college really

Ramie has issued a correction as of 20:56 on May 18, 2024

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ramie posted:

and I haven't asked much about it but every alumni I have seen seems to harbor a simmering hatred for the institution, but that's every American college really

I have fond memories of college. It was the only time I ever got to live in a walkable community.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Ramie posted:

For a period (maybe still the case idk) many indie musicians in nyc came from bard and they near universally refused to admit it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Woman's hijab pulled off at Ottawa rally

Its an upsetting story to begin with but what sticks out to me so much is just how childish the pro Israeli counterprotesters are in the b-roll footage. They treat "protest" as a chance to act like taunting pricks dancing and yukking and daring people to attack them with big white smiles and armed cops backing them up. "We are allowed to treat you like poo poo and if you stop us you get arrested" energy.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://x.com/lwoodhouse/status/1791913780995367269

https://x.com/ggreenwald/status/1791956567916503547
https://x.com/ggreenwald/status/1791971881588785179

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

hypocrisy on the right? why I never

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

https://x.com/adamsteinbaugh/status/1791629429040443442

the only thing that could top that video is if some astoturfed zionist thugs came along and started beating their chests and making monkey noises at the hr lady thinking she was with the protesters

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I wonder how many students used their first amendment rights to tell that lady to go eat poo poo

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

insane clown pussy posted:

lol even for a meaningless symbol of recognition they gotta steal from another genuinely aggrieved group

I'm not going to remotely try and defend the taking a meaningless symbol from another group, but we have been pretty loving "genuinely aggrieved" through large portions of history.
I've personally had a knife pulled on me for the sole reason that I'm Jewish.
The "they" you wanna be going after is Zionists, not Jews.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:mods:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm sure the establishment's next trick is trying to remove "jewish" status* from anti-zionist and non-zionist jews because there are more than enough to be a problem to the establishment

*except to be victims of stochastic terror deliberately incited and encouraged by zionists, of course

Anime Schoolgirl has issued a correction as of 07:21 on May 19, 2024

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i'm sure the establishment's next trick is trying to remove "jewish" status* from anti-zionist and non-zionist jews because there are more than enough to be a problem to the establishment

*except to be victims of stochastic terror deliberately incited and encouraged by zionists, of course

I mean that "Next trick" has been happening. On 10/8 (and frequently since), the Jerusalem post has been printing editorials saying it's time to stop considering antizionist Jews Jews.

We're also included as much as anyone else in bills like HR 888, which states that antizionism is antisemitism. Fun fact! The congressman who introduced that bill once out out an extremely antisemitic ad basically saying that if you don't vote for him, scary Jews will take over.

This attempt to confuse antizionism with antisemitism is deliberate, both because it can cover for actual antisemitism, and because when we complain about actual antisemitism, assholes like this can be like "No, go to YOUR country", and then be rid of their Jews. Remember how Biden said, multiple times, that no Jew would be safe anywhere without Israel?

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

The "they" you wanna be going after is Zionists, not Jews.

correct

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

saying that if you don't vote for him, scary Jews will take over.

Technically correct in that I didn't vote for him and look at the Zionist lobby

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Britain’s finest hour

https://twitter.com/bushra1shaikh/status/1791233220878405725?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

if you insist on being british the least you can do is be based like these kids. the protesting style that basically amounts to millennial scream therapy was destroyed by a single gif of a lady in a yellow vest, and so this is way scarier to them.

kids seem like they put into practice a lot of the stuff older activists did a lot of talking about but didnt actually put into practice

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

the message discipline is something qualitatively different, it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ramie posted:

Man how is this so funny