Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I tried the scorpion and once I got over the insane climb and killed enough people to throw on a red dot the gun became a lot of fun and is just silly for close quarters. I don't know if it'll work for anything other than clearing buildings though and even a particularly long hallway is probably not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
for a game with no shotguns the scorpion is functionally pretty drat close

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

yeah between the FAL and the scorp the niche is pretty full

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
You nerds still playing this game?

After doing a lot of running and gunning with the SCAR and P90 I picked up the MK20 for the first time a little while back and have switched to running it pretty much always (depending on the map.) It's just ridiculous. No glint and few bullet trails, so people don't notice you so much... it can really hold down an angle and devastate in the melee like how support is supposed to work, it can countersnipe quite well (just plain faster than most snipers,) and of course it does well flanking from a distance if you want to go rooftop hopping. There's nothing like clearing out 5 or 6 guys on an enemy rooftop without them finding your angle. I'm not a star player but I do drastically better with it than I used to, though I still play with SMGs on tighter maps like Frugis. Available at level 10. Good times.

I think the trick with it a lot of the time is to stick with the crowd but hang back a bit until a flanking angle becomes clear. No need to rush into things. That and to flank very wide and with some distance, taking advantage of the range and precision. But it's a fine balance, because if you position yourself like a sniper you'll die like one.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I haven't played in a while now but that's very much more a function of having a kid and being relegated to my Mac laptop than anything with the game. I wish the devs would start supporting stuff other than Windows (making it required for server hosting is nuts) but priorities lie elsewhere. Did they say for sure when the big sound update is landing?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Warbird posted:

I haven't played in a while now but that's very much more a function of having a kid and being relegated to my Mac laptop than anything with the game. I wish the devs would start supporting stuff other than Windows (making it required for server hosting is nuts) but priorities lie elsewhere. Did they say for sure when the big sound update is landing?

they seem to have reorganized a bit and the next big update will be in a couple weeks

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

*PUNCH* posted:

You nerds still playing this game?

After doing a lot of running and gunning with the SCAR and P90 I picked up the MK20 for the first time a little while back and have switched to running it pretty much always (depending on the map.) It's just ridiculous. No glint and few bullet trails, so people don't notice you so much... it can really hold down an angle and devastate in the melee like how support is supposed to work, it can countersnipe quite well (just plain faster than most snipers,) and of course it does well flanking from a distance if you want to go rooftop hopping. There's nothing like clearing out 5 or 6 guys on an enemy rooftop without them finding your angle. I'm not a star player but I do drastically better with it than I used to, though I still play with SMGs on tighter maps like Frugis. Available at level 10. Good times.

I think the trick with it a lot of the time is to stick with the crowd but hang back a bit until a flanking angle becomes clear. No need to rush into things. That and to flank very wide and with some distance, taking advantage of the range and precision. But it's a fine balance, because if you position yourself like a sniper you'll die like one.

Now that I've got a bunch of hours in the game I've been trying out all the different weapons and I'll have to try that one out too. However, once I started using the AUG I just stuck with that for ranges up to like ~200m because, unlike the DMRs, it can be used very successfully in the close to mid range as well where DMR handling and mag sizes hold them back. Anybody plinking away with a DMR or a sniper rifle outside of the range of an AUG can be pretty safely ignored unless you somehow find yourself running across an open plain with no cover and clear line of sight to the enemy snipers.

The way you described playing is definitely the only good use for a DMR that I can think of and during the assault on a point it's a lot of keeping enemy heads down, finishing guys off that your team is working, and serving as a safe spawn point for your squad doing the dangerous CQB work. I still think the AUG and SSG550 fill the role you're talking about better than a DMR though thanks to their longer range before damage drop off and good handling.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 30, 2024

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol i just now realized you can change your armor and helmet

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

lol i just now realized you can change your armor and helmet

Yeah dropping the exo armor off support is what makes it playable

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I AM THE MOON posted:

Yeah dropping the exo armor off support is what makes it playable

what the gently caress are you talking about, the entire reason to play support is to hear people call you an armor clutch bitch noob on the death mic

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

skill issue if they cant aim at my massive blocky legs and arms

EXO armor only gives you an edge against the kind of people you don't really need an edge to beat, except arguably the helmet bc it pisses off snipers

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I AM THE MOON posted:

skill issue if they cant aim at my massive blocky legs and arms

EXO armor only gives you an edge against the kind of people you don't really need an edge to beat, except arguably the helmet bc it pisses off snipers

stats have nothing to do with it being funny when people rage at you

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

I AM THE MOON posted:

Arguably, support gives an edge against higher-skill players. Maybe you won't get kills as fast in general, but you can play mid-range support positionally and mow down a group of 5 light-weight, short-range dps spazoids at once.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

I AM THE MOON posted:

mfw the enemy team won't leave their spawn and i want to lvl my revolvers:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

from looking at the reddit meltdowns it seems like the devs announced some pretty signficiant changes in the dev stream today. ttk is being increased by some nebulous amount, armor is being turned into a replenishable pool that's added on top of your HP and bleeding is being removed. i think that i'm ok with all of those changes. armor having its own hitbox was interesting but apparently engineers will finally be able to repair it and shooting people in the legs was kind of dumb so whatever.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Bleeding was one thing I thought was unnecessary and tedious, glad that is going to be removed. I like the TTK, but I don't mind that, it will change the game a lot. Not sure if anything will give it more staying power, 5k -K sustained is certainly not terrible, but for all the modes to have a few servers it really needs double that.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
nothing wrong with halobit, just give me a banshee and a spartan laser

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

from looking at the reddit meltdowns it seems like the devs announced some pretty signficiant changes in the dev stream today. ttk is being increased by some nebulous amount, armor is being turned into a replenishable pool that's added on top of your HP and bleeding is being removed. i think that i'm ok with all of those changes. armor having its own hitbox was interesting but apparently engineers will finally be able to repair it and shooting people in the legs was kind of dumb so whatever.

i didnt mind bleeding but the rest of this was 100% necessary so i'll deal

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If they want to increase their player base then the one real solution is to include controller support. I get why they don't want to do it but not having it blocks off a lot of potential players. I remember telling some friends about the game when it got popular and it was exactly the game they wanted but not being able to play it on controller was a dealbreaker.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I hope they don't change ttk drastically. It's probably the main reason I enjoy this and other shooters that I play

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I am loving the Krissy Kross (?) Smg.
Run round a corner and gun goes brrrrrrr

I'm not loving the target range let me practice rpg trick shooting beyond the 4 or whateve in your pack.

Is there any damage difference on infantry between the tandem warhead and a heat warhead?

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Mauser posted:

The way you described playing is definitely the only good use for a DMR that I can think of and during the assault on a point it's a lot of keeping enemy heads down, finishing guys off that your team is working, and serving as a safe spawn point for your squad doing the dangerous CQB work. I still think the AUG and SSG550 fill the role you're talking about better than a DMR though thanks to their longer range before damage drop off and good handling.

I’ve been paying M110 + RGP like this successfully, and recently have tried out the AUG. It’s now my main rifle as medic (or G36C for close maps) but I can’t manage to use it for range like that.

I generally only use the 2x scope on the M110 so this isn’t huge distances, and I’ve gotten pretty good at landing the second shot quickly. With any zoom on the AUG on auto I can’t control the recoil, and in semi auto mode it’s a matter of landing three or four slower moving shots vs the two for the M110 and I’m usually spotted by the target before I can finish them.

How’re you set up to sneaky sniper with the AUG?

Destroyenator fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 5, 2024

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

I AM THE MOON posted:

i didnt mind bleeding but the rest of this was 100% necessary so i'll deal

I don’t mind bleeding either.

I would love to see a huge hit to accuracy if you do the stupid lean left/right/left thing though, and probably the same for going prone from running

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Destroyenator posted:

I would love to see a huge hit to accuracy if you do the stupid lean left/right/left thing though, and probably the same for going prone from running
probably necessary in a world where the "aim at the toes" meta is gone. hopefully some of the animation improvements are fixing stuff like instant prone-to-sprint

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Destroyenator posted:

I’ve been paying M110 + RGP like this successfully, and recently have tried out the AUG. It’s now my main rifle as medic (or G36C for close maps) but I can’t manage to use it for range like that.

I generally only use the 2x scope on the M110 so this isn’t huge distances, and I’ve gotten pretty good at landing the second shot quickly. With any zoom on the AUG on auto I can’t control the recoil, and in semi auto mode it’s a matter of landing three or four slower moving shots vs the two for the M110 and I’m usually spotted by the target before I can finish them.

How’re you set up to sneaky sniper with the AUG?

The handling is so good at base that the attachments I use are more for other benefits, like the b25 reload boost (or Shift Short Angled Grip if I want faster swap speed and reload) and silencer. For a while used the flash hider to drop horizontal spread and might recommend that for longer distances, actually.

Used with ranger armor you get like 10 magazines, so the fast reload allows you to always be spraying. I once had a supply guy try to fill me up and then complained over local "how many mags do you have???." Full auto on enemies at range just requires you to keep the nose down as it climbs because horizontal shouldn't be too bad. Once we're talking like longish (maybe 175m+?) ranges I just tap fire. For enemy snipers that I want to wound/harass I spray a clip at them if they're exposed or tap fire if they're far and covered and then move on with my life because I find snipers and sniping pretty dull and I do not think shooting from 300m+ is in anyway beneficial to a team.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 5, 2024

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Psycho Society posted:

nothing wrong with halobit, just give me a banshee and a spartan laser

Yeah this

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Mauser posted:

AUG tips
Thanks, that makes sense. It’s good even to see the stats on your set up to understand what’s considered “good”. Levelling weapons takes me a long time, I just don’t play enough to be getting hundreds of kills, but at least I’ve got some of the AUG stuff now.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Destroyenator posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. It’s good even to see the stats on your set up to understand what’s considered “good”. Levelling weapons takes me a long time, I just don’t play enough to be getting hundreds of kills, but at least I’ve got some of the AUG stuff now.

you can try out different combos in the firing range to see what works for you, but full auto through a 2x can take some getting used to and some adjusting of your attachments.

In other news, I've been playing around with maximum run speed which is assault with no armor or backpack and an FAL with a short mag. You only get 75 bullets total in your FAL so I was messing around trying to decide between ranger armor, ammo box, or just gobbling up all squad points on constant supply drops to set up fallback positions all over the map.

coming out of a sprint I nailed a guy in the head with bullets coming out of my gun before I even had it pointed anywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGHu-qs8AVs

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Mauser posted:

I hope they don't change ttk drastically. It's probably the main reason I enjoy this and other shooters that I play

absolutely this

i guess they want people writng more essays and memorizing dps charts for fully automatic guns

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Mauser posted:

you can try out different combos in the firing range to see what works for you, but full auto through a 2x can take some getting used to and some adjusting of your attachments.

In other news, I've been playing around with maximum run speed which is assault with no armor or backpack and an FAL with a short mag. You only get 75 bullets total in your FAL so I was messing around trying to decide between ranger armor, ammo box, or just gobbling up all squad points on constant supply drops to set up fallback positions all over the map.

coming out of a sprint I nailed a guy in the head with bullets coming out of my gun before I even had it pointed anywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGHu-qs8AVs

Assault class is definitely the new medic in terms of being a run and gun spaz. The gun handling bonuses alone are way more useful than a medkit.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I have some more clips that I thought were fun. Mostly explosives this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1SaccdfAcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzL5-aWncPY

Also not in the clips, but during the match I was disappointed to find out that when a building falls on you it doesn't kill you.

edit: one more for fun pistol action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCPE7Rd3rK8

Mauser fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 9, 2024

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
ooh I can see this game is entering it's "there are 2 servers with people in them" era, sad

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

The Velvet Witch posted:

ooh I can see this game is entering it's "there are 2 servers with people in them" era, sad

The trouble the game had was that it had a grass-roots explosion of interest in the game from TikTok, YouTube, etc and the devs took all of that interest and botched it with some very questionable updates and changes.

The game is also in a beta stage and so players are probably checking out other games that have released - Helldivers 2 just came out too.

I liked the game for how quick it can be to get into a game, but the gameplay loop and content got boring quick, as well as the current mechanics, sound, etc.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The game just needed more toys to play with. More gadgets and non-standard weapons and just new interactive mechanics in general.

Like I mostly played it because it had huge team sizes and it ran on my ancient computer, unlike a lot of other games.

But the second I upgraded, I left for Hell Let Loose and battlefield 2042, for no other reason than they have a larger variety of toys to play with. It's sad but what can ya do.

If they add artillery or air strikes or mortars or perhaps a few new mine types I'd come back for a bit. But until then.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 28, 2024

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

i don't have the same complaints people on the steam page are screeching about, but i wouldn't mind them fixing the sounds sometime soon. it's impossible to sneak up on people except for the most oblivious of sniper and even then most realize they're about to get wrecked in time to pull out a pistol and get a shot off

also weekly challenge kill 10 guys from over 1km lol yeah right. At least when they give you a challenge to play support i actually get a team mate filling up my ammo every once in a while. this one is like "see those objectives over there? you need to back up because you're too close"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mauser posted:

i don't have the same complaints people on the steam page are screeching about, but i wouldn't mind them fixing the sounds sometime soon. it's impossible to sneak up on people except for the most oblivious of sniper and even then most realize they're about to get wrecked in time to pull out a pistol and get a shot off

the next update is supposed to completely replace the game's audio and even if it's unimaginably awful it should still be a positive improvement over whatever the gently caress this game is doing at the moment

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What exactly is the whole plan for the next update? It has to be more than just audio... right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gucci Loafers posted:

What exactly is the whole plan for the next update? It has to be more than just audio... right?

the next update should have increased TTK, removed bleeding, reworked/revamped animations that look pretty good, reduced destruction (leveling buildings has apparently been axed), remodeled and retextured weapons, new and reworked maps, a new game mode, weapon balance changes, new weapons+LMGs that can have functioning belts, and also the audio update. and probably other stuff that i'm forgetting.

also the audio update sounds really good so far. weapons have different SFX for how far away they are and whether or not they're indoors, different loadouts will have different gear sound effects while moving, there's seemingly path tracing (at least for footsteps), different permutations of footsteps for different surfaces, etc.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I’m going to be honest if they make the audio better for both guns and footsteps that’d be a reason for me to boot it up more, along with removing bleeding and upping TTK. The game has this weird milsim/not identity crisis and my brain treats it like expired milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
Wait, removing building destruction? That sounds like taking away one of the few things that made it fun for me.

This was the first multiplayer shooter I played in about twenty years and it had so much that I liked going for it and then I just kind of faded away at about the time they started adding objectives. I think I started getting annoyed with the lack of variety in terms of maps before anything else. I remember there being a brief glory time when it would just cycle through every possible map combination, and then it went back to a kind of democracy that just focused on the same maps over and over again.

I also was never very good at the game. Still had my fun though.