Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not sure they'd have been able to successfully pull off a rescue tbh, Overhaul is kind of busted. I think what what we're supposed to get from the scene is less that they could have rescued Eri, but more that they should have tried.

I kinda hope the anime does more with that scene in the future. It feels like maybe this is the scene that's supposed to show the difference between Mirio and Deku but the rest of the arc doesn't really care about exploring any differences between the 2. So the scene mostly serves to provide some extra motivation to right their wrongs and save Eri this time for when they crash the Yakuza hideout. It just feels like it could have had more meaning.

The thing is, there's really not that much difference between Mirio and Deku at their heart. It's this one moment where they differ solely because of Mirio's training under Nighteye, and is meant to be an example of why Nighteye ultimately doesn't really understand All Might or his heroism.

However, there's also the point that All Might's Heroism isn't something any person can hold up forever, because yes they regret not saving Eri, but we can tell that if they had tried to save Eri at the very least someone was going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, I'm not convinced they couldn't have gotten away with her. Mirio beats the absolute poo poo out of Overhaul while quirkless. I have zero doubts he could've taken him in that alley while Deku retreated with Eri.

Even not knowing his quirk, and particularly BECAUSE they didn't know his quirk- job #1 would obviously be not to let him touch you.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
They are both interns still, and the op has to remain secret. If they were certified pros they could have some leeway to take Eri in, as things stand they'd cause a ruckus on the street and blow the cover.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Here is my view on the scene. If Deku and Mirio initiate the fight then they would be able to get Eri away safely. If Overhaul does it then both of them are probably dead. The right choice would be to get her away as with her gone the entire operation falls apart for Overhaul. Nighteye's response to Deku as I have said before shows that he never got what made All Might unique. Worst of all by dismissing it as madness he lost a golden opportunity to and mold Deku away from the worst of his self sacrificing impulses to instead try and prove himself right.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

honestly I can't wait to see 100% Deku against Chimera Overhaul it's gonna be so loving good

Red Riot Unbreakable is also gonna own bones

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I dunno, I'm not convinced they couldn't have gotten away with her. Mirio beats the absolute poo poo out of Overhaul while quirkless. I have zero doubts he could've taken him in that alley while Deku retreated with Eri.

Yeah, while it was an entirely reasonable approach at the time, in hindsight, dealing with Overhaul there and then would pretty much solved everything.

Later in the arc, Mirio was good enough to dumpster Overhaul, despite Overhaul having minions and quirk-erasing bullets, Mirio having to protect Eri and while the whole area was underground, meaning that escape was impossible and Overhauls quirk could attack from any direction. The only reason Mirio didn't solo the whole thing was a cheap shot from a downed minion and even quirkless, Mirio could still delay Overhaul for several minutes. Without minions and quirk-erasing bullets, the terrain not being so advantageous for Overhaul and with Deku taking care of protecting Eri and escaping with her, Mirio would have pounded Overhaul into pavement in like 5 seconds. And with Eri being vital to the Overhauls operation, being obviously abused (and abused via quirk use) and Overhaul helpfully proclaiming to be her guardian, everything would be over for Overhaul and his organization the second she would be delivered to any competent authority.

Hindsight is 20/20 and faulting Mirio for it is obviously ridiculous, but if he thought more like All-Might, or had more confidence in his abilities (again, like All-Might) every negative consequence of Overhaul arc could have been prevented in that alley.

(People are forgetting that while Deku and Mirio don't know about Overhaul's quirk, Overhaul doesn't know about theirs either, and Mirio with his ability to make himself untouchable at will and specialization in instant attacks from completely unexpected directions is a natural counter to Overhaul. And in any kind of conflict, Deku would absolutely prioritize getting Eri to safety with his super speed over attacking Overhaul, meaning he wouldn't be in much danger from him either.)

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I wasn't even taking into consideration their odds, honestly.

We're shown much later that both Mirio and Deku have the ability to fight with Overhaul 1:1 (or extremely outnumbered in Mirio's case). That's not really the concern here. No, the concern in this situation should be the scared little girl with signs of abuse. Mirio is wrong because Nighteye is wrong and that's supposed to be the whole takeaway I think.

It's my main problem with Nighteye as a character. I have no idea how he and All Might worked together for 5 years. It's hard to even picture it.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 12, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might had a soft spot for Fanboys I guess. Even if he didn't totally get him, Nighteye genuinely really cared about All Might as a person.

Also Sir was machine at paperwork which All Night generated mountains of.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
why does the manga thread have anime in the title

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

To remind people that it’s not the anime thread, which is always a problem whenever you have a manga and an anime thread for the same IP.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JahRoo posted:

To remind people that it’s not the anime thread, which is always a problem whenever you have a manga and an anime thread for the same IP.

Yes, this definitely doesn't cause problems for quickly scanning for the thread to post in and both have "anime" in their titles.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Not having anime in the thread title wasn’t any better, since people don’t read the full thread title anyways.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes, this definitely doesn't cause problems for quickly scanning for the thread to post in and both have "anime" in their titles.

God forbid people take the half second to check.

I know I can't wait that long for the profound hot takes which fall along the likes of "I think Goku would beat All Might in a fight because of spoiler"

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The thread tags are super clear on mobile. I've never had a problem beyond the fact that I don't trust myself to edit out foreknowledge, so I just don't post there.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The manga thread having the word anime in the title should only mean that people are hesitant to post spoilers here, thinking its the anime thread, which shouldn't be an issue.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fabricated posted:

Also Sir was machine at paperwork which All Night generated mountains of.

This is a big thing. As shown in Vigilantes, All Might got in trouble with the police because he was awful at filing his paperwork. Even the Number One Hero is not above the law. Having Sir Nighteye around was highly benefitial for him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also I think there’s an implication that Nighteye actually lost faith in All Might’s style After using his foresight in some way.

So presumably their differences only got so bad during their time apart, when they worked together it’s likely they were more in sync.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think it's kinda bad to put into boxes like "bad" and "wrong" when they are just different. Nighteye gave his life for the cause and Mirio proved he's still a drat fine hero destined for greatness.

Different, not wrong.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mordaedil posted:

I think it's kinda bad to put into boxes like "bad" and "wrong" when they are just different. Nighteye gave his life for the cause and Mirio proved he's still a drat fine hero destined for greatness.

Different, not wrong.

Especially with the counterpoint that the way All Might does heroism may not have nearly killed him without All for One but it definitely killed his social life and other assorted simple things. Meanwhile Izuku actually is nearly killing himself replicating All Might.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Especially with the counterpoint that the way All Might does heroism may not have nearly killed him without All for One but it definitely killed his social life and other assorted simple things. Meanwhile Izuku actually is nearly killing himself replicating All Might.

He's also finding the most success when he tries to be himself instead of All Might.

Which, in a way, is one of the benefits of the bonus powers. While it's buffing Deku even more, it means there's still endgame things in store that we haven't seen already, either in the Overhaul Fight or just from Toshinori. Deku has to keep charting his own path, even if All Might inspired him onto it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Deku is definitely being encouraged to find his own style of heroism but equally the show/manga is openly scornful of getting bogged down in bureocratic niceties over heroism.

Would taking Eri there and then have been problematic/dangerous for several reasons? Sure. Would it have still been the correct decision? The show implies so.

Like yeah All Might burned his candle at both ends but don't mistake that as a critique of his results - the show unreservedly idolises him as The #1 Hero.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Conot posted:

Deku is definitely being encouraged to find his own style of heroism but equally the show/manga is openly scornful of getting bogged down in bureocratic niceties over heroism.

Would taking Eri there and then have been problematic/dangerous for several reasons? Sure. Would it have still been the correct decision? The show implies so.

Like yeah All Might burned his candle at both ends but don't mistake that as a critique of his results - the show unreservedly idolises him as The #1 Hero.

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing against that. Just that the manga hasn't shied away from how that too can be harmful, not the heroism over beurocracy but heroism to the point of total self sacrifice.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
extremely hyped to see mina stealing the spotlight in kirishima's flashback in motion

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Even not knowing his quirk, and particularly BECAUSE they didn't know his quirk- job #1 would obviously be not to let him touch you.

Wasn't the issue that Overhaul would have been able to legally get Eri returned to him if they took her?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Good point, they definitely didn't have the authority to take Eri away even if they thought she was being abused by Overhaul. The heroes have to follow the rules; they're not the child protection services and lack the authority (and haven't done the paperwork necessary even if they did) to take away Eri.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I feel it would be within their authority to help a child in distress and take her away from a person whose mere presence is causing her that distress. And once she would have been taken to a safe place, even a rudimentary examination and interview would make it blindingly obvious that she was abused, so I don't buy that she would be just handed back to a person who is most likely to be her abuser, legal guardian or not.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He'd really have to pull a story out of his rear end to explain why Eri is scarred head to toe and covered in bandages.

And that's just the info everyone can see obviously. When they look into it they can't find her birth certificate in the manga, so he'd be hard pressed to get her back.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ChronoReverse posted:

Good point, they definitely didn't have the authority to take Eri away even if they thought she was being abused by Overhaul. The heroes have to follow the rules; they're not the child protection services and lack the authority (and haven't done the paperwork necessary even if they did) to take away Eri.

Yeah this is like the exact opposite of the moral that the story was trying to tell

"Sorry small child who is physically and mentally abused, we don't have the correct rubber stamp to save you from the literal villain. We'll have to come back in 2-3 weeks for a second visit and then prepare a summary report available in 6 months, roughly."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fabricated posted:

He'd really have to pull a story out of his rear end to explain why Eri is scarred head to toe and covered in bandages.

And that's just the info everyone can see obviously. When they look into it they can't find her birth certificate in the manga, so he'd be hard pressed to get her back.

Would he really need anything more complicated than 'she can't handle her quirk and it's causing her harm when it goes out of control'?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

Would he really need anything more complicated than 'she can't handle her quirk and it's causing her harm when it goes out of control'?

Given that she acts like a traumatized child who is visibly afraid of him, my guess is that wouldn’t work

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Isn't Japanese CPS really terrible? I've heard horror stories about how obviously abused children were left with their abuser because of how the system is set up. Hell, the same thing happens in the US all the time.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

LostRook posted:

Isn't Japanese CPS really terrible? I've heard horror stories about how obviously abused children were left with their abuser because of how the system is set up. Hell, the same thing happens in the US all the time.

They still use orphanages mostly instead of foster care, and adoptions of orphans aren't that common because of the cost of living and the whole family registry thing

Eri getting raised by UA was probably the best situation she could've hoped for honestly

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Conot posted:

Yeah this is like the exact opposite of the moral that the story was trying to tell

"Sorry small child who is physically and mentally abused, we don't have the correct rubber stamp to save you from the literal villain. We'll have to come back in 2-3 weeks for a second visit and then prepare a summary report available in 6 months, roughly."
I actually agree with that. But the manga also makes clear that the heroes aren't exempt from procedures either. In terms of being a hero and in terms of 20/20 hindsight better outcome, it certainly would've been better to have made the getaway with Eri right there and then like Deku wanted to.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

LostRook posted:

It isn't very good.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47095081

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Overhaul shows up to custody court in the full steampunk plague doctor getup, the judge instantly hands Eri's custody to Izuku.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

Overhaul shows up to custody court in the full steampunk plague doctor getup, the judge instantly hands Eri's custody to IzukuEraserhead.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

"You're handing her over to some homeless guy!?"

"Yes, he's way less creepy than you."

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

ChronoReverse posted:

I actually agree with that. But the manga also makes clear that the heroes aren't exempt from procedures either. In terms of being a hero and in terms of 20/20 hindsight better outcome, it certainly would've been better to have made the getaway with Eri right there and then like Deku wanted to.

Yes but the point is the story leaves us in very little doubt that All Might would have refused to give her to Overhaul even if it was in violation of procedure, and as far as heroic acts go the manga very rarely if ever claims All Might is in the wrong.

Life/work balance? Teaching? Sure, he sucks at those, but not heroism.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

"You're handing her over to some homeless guy!?"

"Yes, he's way less creepy than you."
"Mr. Aizawa, what makes you think you'd be a good parent to Young Eri?"

"I haven't slept in fourteen years and I'm raising twenty other children and somehow all of them are still alive and with most of their limbs. Weird reverse reality powers is loving easy mode for me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So how about that Todoroki family drama? Endeavor is waving death flags left and right...