Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There is a volcano and it exploded

That seems like a quick death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

shovelbum posted:

no one is getting "shrieked at" there unless they are US-standards right wing

edit: almost anywhere you post or even do anything in your normal life is run by hard-right loving lunatics, but you don't get shrieked at here for not being a Nazi even though Lowtax is chummy with the gamergate crowd, you don't get shrieked at at a store even though they're run by monstrous far-right plutocrats, etc. You spend most of your life trying to exist as a normal person in hard right spaces and I think it's unfair to think that it would be not only worse but impossibly worse just because a place is run by caring community-minded people vs sociopathic oligarchs
given the paragraph about how monstrous your enemies are and how "hard right" the normal world is, you may be less caring than you think you are.

and "caring community-minded people" are perfectly capable of hurting people they've decided are on the outside of their community.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Squalid posted:

I'm not an expert but my understand is diet can have a profound effect on maternal mortality rates. I can't remember the specifics but in places where women's diets are bad death rates skyrocket.

I'd also guess that a hunter-gathering woman gets more exercise than a rich Roman woman, but perhaps less than one who has to work, which might help.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheetah7071 posted:

guess I gotta make that early modern thread on these forums instead
since the milhist thread has so many of my posts in it, you'd probably be ok posting a request for early modern chat in there

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lawman 0 posted:

Ok let's start off this post-Crisis session right.
What was the worst place to be in the ancient world?

Probably a gold mine. Dark, dangerous work, surrounded by shitloads of mercury, and you are most likely enslaved.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

hum, and I was almost beginning to look forward to a forum with a new style sheet and functional features.

:agesilaus: <-- I'd definitely miss this guy if we cleaned up the smilies. Also I was maybe the only person here who thought Agesilaus was a good poster

Squalid fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 26, 2020

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
The programmer bought us, so it could still happen

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The positive direction everything seems to be going in has me in a celebratory mood. Let's repost some old goldmine content, like our favorite piece of Classical art. I'll start:

classic Roman marble copy of the bronze Greek original Laocoön and His Sons.

Athena-Parthenos, marble Greek Classical period.

face detail on the Dying Gaul.

Riace bronzes, discovered in a shipwreck off the coast of Italy. Manufactured in or near Athens.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Victory!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

given the paragraph about how monstrous your enemies are and how "hard right" the normal world is, you may be less caring than you think you are.

and "caring community-minded people" are perfectly capable of hurting people they've decided are on the outside of their community.

thanks mr. 17th century views. got any scientific racisms you wanna share with the class??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I can't parse what's going on with his right hand.

Wait, no. What's going on with all their - oh, they got cut off. But for some reason whoever knocked off the hands only cut off the right hands. Do you know what happened with that?

e: I guess it would be really, really hard to cut off the left hands, given that they're all attached to other parts of the statue. But why the hands and not the heads or the noses, as seems to be the fashion with defacing statues?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

well I think it was originally assembled from several pieces with hidden joints. so they could have dropped one piece and knocked off just a single hand without messing up the rest while moving it or something

also can we rule out time causing the statue to crack in natural flat planes? Like maybe a hairline crack formed and water or frost got and in, eventually breaking the sculpture in the thinner sections?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Squalid posted:

Athena-Parthenos, marble Greek Classical period.

I thought all we had were Roman copies of Athena Parthenos? Maybe wrong!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the strongest impression I remember from seeing roman statues in person is that augustus had an absolutely killer rear end

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

I can't parse what's going on with his right hand.

Wait, no. What's going on with all their - oh, they got cut off. But for some reason whoever knocked off the hands only cut off the right hands. Do you know what happened with that?

e: I guess it would be really, really hard to cut off the left hands, given that they're all attached to other parts of the statue. But why the hands and not the heads or the noses, as seems to be the fashion with defacing statues?

That statue was lost until 1506 when it was dug up under a vineyard in Rome. The sons were already missing that arm and hand and the father was missing his entire right arm. I don't think anyone knows how they were broken.

The statue was initially restored to look like this:

In 1957, they replaced the father's restored right arm with what seems to be the original. It had been found in 1906 but was kept in the storeroom of the Vatican Museum until 1957. They're pretty sure it's the original arm because there's a drill hole in it that aligns perfectly with one in the father's torso. The sons' restored arm and hand were removed in the 1980s.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I thought all we had were Roman copies of Athena Parthenos? Maybe wrong!

oh it probably is that. frickin' romans and their cut rate imitations. I wonder if ancient Romans had a saying like "made in Rome" for tasteless or tacky or cheap

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Athena Parthenos replica at Nashville, complete with Southern White Woman makeup.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Kassad posted:

Statue stuff

Huh. Restoration's always a funny thing. When I was at the Louvre they had a hall full of statues that got restored, but in ways which transformed the original. Like taking a statue they dug up and then slapping a lightning bolt on it and going "And now it's Jupiter!" - apparently back in the day that was a thing people did. I should drag some of those pictures off my phone.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The most satisfying restoration I've seen was using lasers to clean the statues of the Erechtheion at the Acropolis Museum. Just next to these 2400 year old statues was this video playing on a loop, and I stood there watching it for a good 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwCNfQh8Woo

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Huh. Restoration's always a funny thing. When I was at the Louvre they had a hall full of statues that got restored, but in ways which transformed the original. Like taking a statue they dug up and then slapping a lightning bolt on it and going "And now it's Jupiter!" - apparently back in the day that was a thing people did. I should drag some of those pictures off my phone.

This happened a lot with Christians, notably Byzantine emperors, repurposing Greek and Roman art for Christian worship. The chalice of Abbot Suger is a nice example of transformed art.

The cup itself is from the 2nd or 1st century, B.C. Egypt and is carved from a single piece of sardonyx. A thousand years later, in about 1140, it found its way into the uber-rich abbot of the church of Saint-Denis in modern-day Paris, who had it modified to use during mass. He put it on a gilded silver mounting which features a Christ Pantakrator, which is interesting because it’s a nod to Byzantine iconography mixed with the more typically western Alpha-Omega (it’s an interesting topic in itself how those Greek letters were more common in Western Catholic rather than Eastern Catholic art). The final product is a mix of ancient and medieval, East and West.

I saw the chalice in person at the National Gallery of Art in D.C. It’s beautiful, but I was immediately drawn to the original stone cup, which outshone the mounting in my eyes. It also had a neat story about being smuggled out of Paris during WW2 and being lost for decades .

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 26, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cheetah7071 posted:

the strongest impression I remember from seeing roman statues in person is that augustus had an absolutely killer rear end

That’s just what Augustus wanted you to think

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A gluteus maximus for the pontifex maximus.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Look if I'm spending that much money on all these statues of myself you bet that I'm gonna make sure that they make sure I have the most fantastic rear end that can be carved.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i think historically most men have been rear end men and only recently there has become the phenomenom of boob men

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

i think historically most men have been rear end men and only recently there has become the phenomenom of boob men

Isn't there a theory that women evolved big breasts to look like an additional frontal pair of buttocks so they could, I don't know, attract men from both in front and behind? Of course that's way more ancient than what we're discussing here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sullat posted:

Vomitorium janitor, no doubt.

What's wrong with the exit corridors from the Coliseum?

(Vomitoriums in the sense you're thinking of never actually existed)

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Rochallor posted:

The most satisfying restoration I've seen was using lasers to clean the statues of the Erechtheion at the Acropolis Museum. Just next to these 2400 year old statues was this video playing on a loop, and I stood there watching it for a good 5 minutes.

Do you know how this works? I'm wondering since my first thought was how you avoid damaging the statue since you're, you know, aiming a laser at it.

I am, though, slightly amused that this resembles how you remove beauty marks on people.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rochallor posted:

I don't think I could be this meticulous about anything. It's awesome that some people are

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

skasion posted:

I see no issues with Steve Rogers being America's rear end, nor do I see any issue with Augustus doing the same for ancient Romans.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
On the economic deterioration of the late empire/early medieval a fantastic book to read would be The Fall of Rome: And the End of Civilization by Bryan Ward-Perkins

https://www.amazon.com/Fall-Rome-End-Civilization/dp/0192807285

The archaeological evidence points to a full on post apocalyptic landscape. I'm only halfway through but drat it must have been awful to live through that period and know only fifty years ago how much better things were. Probably akin to what we will be thinking in old age if we get that far.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

shirunei posted:

On the economic deterioration of the late empire/early medieval a fantastic book to read would be The Fall of Rome: And the End of Civilization by Bryan Ward-Perkins

https://www.amazon.com/Fall-Rome-End-Civilization/dp/0192807285

The archaeological evidence points to a full on post apocalyptic landscape. I'm only halfway through but drat it must have been awful to live through that period and know only fifty years ago how much better things were. Probably akin to what we will be thinking in old age if we get that far.

i'll have to take a look at that because when i was looking at the end of Roman rule in Britain I really got the impression it was rather post-apoc, at least the political situation would have felt like it.

We're talking about a complete collapse of any semblance of centralized authority even before the Anglo-saxon conquests. Like I feel like a good comparison would be Somalia after 1991 or Libya after 2013, the way the political system just ceases to exist and warlords had free reign.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Kevin DuBrow posted:

chalice of Abbot Suger

That's a very cool chalice. Also, I read Suger as Sugar and was briefly very amused before I realized no, I'm just bad at reading.

This is La Zingarella (Little Gypsy):

It came from the collection of Cardinal Scipione Borghese (1587–1633) and is a Roman statue of Artemis to which the Cardinal added bronze additions. Well, his sculptor did. There were apparently two versions of the statue, which confused me a bit when I went to look it up online. One resides in the Louvre (this one) and the one for which the wikipedia page exists is in Rome, which is because the Borghese heir was nephew to Napoleon Bonaparte and sold a bunch to France in 1807.

It's beautiful in person and I don't usually see many mixed-material statues, so some of the hybrid pieces in that gallery were very novel. You definitely couldn't get away with the "nice torso, let's clean off the arm stumps and put some bronze parts on it! it'll look just wonderful!" thing nowadays, though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

feedmegin posted:

What's wrong with the exit corridors from the Coliseum?

(Vomitoriums in the sense you're thinking of never actually existed)

The Romans were a people without manners, they just tossed their plastic soda cups and half empty popcorn bags out into the hallway like jerks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Roman Britain is the one pretty much everyone agrees on, the Romans pulled out and nothing replaced them for centuries. The other western imperial territories are more hotly debated. There's also cases where both happen--Italy is just fine after Odoacer takes over, nothing really changes at all for decades. But after the Roman reconquest under Justinian, Italy is devastated and takes centuries to recover.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Probably a gold mine. Dark, dangerous work, surrounded by shitloads of mercury, and you are most likely enslaved.

That or a rower on a ship. Chained in place for days on end, your body emaciated aside from giant arms, never seeing the sun. Also you're enslaved

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Amgard posted:

That or a rower on a ship. Chained in place for days on end, your body emaciated aside from giant arms, never seeing the sun. Also you're enslaved
/
In Rome and Greece, free mariners were almost always used to row instead of galley slaves (despite that scene in Ben-Hur). They actually became more common in the medieval era. But there are quite few accounts of slaves being promised freedom for rowing or being freed right before being pressed into rowing duty. Rowing wasn’t just menial labor, they needed to be coordinated and disciplined.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 26, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, in the ancient Mediterranean the slave galley thing is largely a myth. Naval ships were rowed by the crew and merchant ships mostly sailed rather than rowing (and naval ships also mostly used sails outside of battle). I'm not going to say it never happened, but it was at least uncommon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's at least one recorded instance of Athens offering freedom to any slave willing to man their ships. Not the kind of thing you'd expect if slave crews were common.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had forgotten about that, yeah, that's a good data point. It's not like the Athenians were uh, reluctant about slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Roman Britain is the one pretty much everyone agrees on, the Romans pulled out and nothing replaced them for centuries. The other western imperial territories are more hotly debated. There's also cases where both happen--Italy is just fine after Odoacer takes over, nothing really changes at all for decades. But after the Roman reconquest under Justinian, Italy is devastated and takes centuries to recover.

Why was this reconquest so devastating compared to other times armies were marching allober Italy?