Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

I have no idea how people can play this on Legendary. Just had a mission where the Assassin plus lots of enemies, a Codex, missed shots and a short timer to disable a transmitter utterly hosed my poo poo.

Assassin's such a pain in the rear end with its 90 tile movement radius and invisibility. :suicide:

Early-game Legendary is mostly just RNG. Sometimes you're just put in situations where you have no choice but to evac out of a mission. Sometimes soldiers just... die. It's not unusual to have to restart within the first couple of months because poo poo just went bad - but if you're facing Codexes then it sounds like you already know how how to get past that part of the game. I found that often on Legendary, the best way to deal with the Chosen early on -
especially if they pop up when you're already in a bad situation) is to just let them knock a dude out, gain some intel, then gently caress off. Mid-game Legendary is mostly about 'keep on truckin' no matter what happens. The Avatar Project will start counting down - more than once. You will experience squad wipes - more than once. You will lose your best people - more than once. You will lose entire regions - more than once. But as long as you keep researching things, and buying upgrades, and always have a facility lead or story mission in your back pocket ready to go run at a moment's notice, then you'd be surprised with what you can recover from. Get a spark or two to help with your overall fatigue, the psi-lab can be a godsend as it lets you train up some very powerful high ranking soldiers in a very short amount of time for only 40 supplies each, and if you lose a hero then the replacement you recruit will likely be an even higher rank than the one you lost so it's often a blessing in disguise.

DEO3 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

misguided rage posted:

It's also one of the least bad fears, it's way worse to have someone panic when a pod reveals themselves rather than after they're done their actions for the turn.

As long as you have the Resistance Order that makes it so breaking/berserk/etc only last for a turn (the one it happens in, not the next turn) they're all a total wash anyway.
The only annoying one is obsessive reloader since you can't counter that.

In fact when it happens during the enemy's turn it's like getting a free go!

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Around when should I stop letting the Warlock extract knowledge and leave on Legendary here? He shows up way more often on Legendary than Commander, but trying to fight him this early leads to a mind control and a grenade. His weaknesses are high ground and skirmishers so if I can get my skirmisher some AP rounds or something in the PG that'd help, but he's immune to melee so most of what I usually do is out (and I can't just get lost to dunk him again as a result).

I decide based on the encounter early in the campaign. If you're fighting other poo poo or just don't have anything for him then just let him and move on before you start taking wounds/deaths from prolonged fire fights.

I'm also dealing with the brutal thing so I need to be able to alpha/beta strike him. So far I've killed him 5 times and he has made one extraction and 1 capture. I really needed him to gently caress off both times and letting him do that probably saved the campaign.

So far it has cost me a sgt. ranger (rescue op hasnt popped yet) and an early avenger assault which was still pretty easy to cheese with a reaper and 3 sharpshooters...even if I still had some ballistic weapons mixed in there vs archons, berserkers, and mutons.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like this game, but I think the old one is still better. I think if the old one had bonds, propaganda posters, and more customization it'd just be the best. There was more of a horror element to it (at least to me), with moody music and you are left in the dark a lot of the times (often literally, night missions were nerve wracking). I didn't realize how much I'd miss having Interceptors. The cover system is also intuitive, but I like the old "crouch behind the skyranger wheel". This isn't strictly nostalgia, although UFO Defense was like the first game I had on PSX. I played it again maybe 3 years ago.

Might have to boot it back up. The unearthly howl that aliens made when they died... what a rad game.

Please make XCOM 3 a TFTD homage.

E: There's a great narrative style LP somewhere, too. Maybe the archives. Worth the read.
E2: Embracing the Saturday Morning Cartoon intro of UFO Defense is I think the worst possible road for this franchise to go in. The Chosen don't seem to fit in at all.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 11, 2017

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My favorite negative trait is fear of fear. I'm not even kidding. It rolls when someone else Panics.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I guess Roosevelt was right, the only thing they had to fear was fear itself

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
With how far they've taken it, I'm fully expecting a joke DLC about exercising restraint now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA0nIRE4u2o

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Well, I just had my best worst extract mission.

Playing my first Legend campaign (that lasted beyond the first month or two) on WOTC. My barracks is filled with injuries and tired soldiers, so I send a mix of what higher ranked soldiers I have available, plus a Corporal and Squaddie-level spark. I luck into an Elite Trooper double agent.

First turn activation goes well, then the Warlock pops in. I dash everyone up onto the roof directly in the path between me and the evac. Spectral zombies pop in, and in maneuvering to shoot them without falling through the floor, I activate another pod. Not a big deal, one shot one of them with my sniper, toss the mimic beacon, end the turn.

Two more pods activate on their turn. Okay. I spend two more turns in a stationary battle, whittling them down to one last officer who'd stayed way the hell across the map marking and taking potshots. With 7 turns remaining to evac, and down to just my templar and skirmisher, I moved the skirmisher to get a better shot at the officer, figuring she had three actions due to reflex, so she was the best shot. Instead, I found an Andromedon and two specters! At this point, I figure my only hope of getting out of this alive is to go all out nuts. I grapple the skirmisher to flank the two specters, use whiplash and get a lucky crit to kill one, then wrath over to the last and stun it. This leaves her flanked by the andromedon, but I won't be rushing to get anyone unshadowbound. I rend the andromedon with the templar and parry. Oh, and start dashing the VIP for the next roof over.

Time for more zombies! And the andromedon doesn't take the bait, but acid bombs my two grenadiers, taking one down to three health. I dash my low-health grenadier as far towards the evac as I can, then give up an action from her bondmate (the skirmisher) to get her to the evac by one square. I pull the templar out at this point, too. I overdrive the spark up to the roof adjacent to the evac and take a shot at one of the zombies. The trooper I run up next to the spark. Move the VIP closer, still out of line of sight. My second grenadier is still on ground level, so I dash her into the building below the spark. The skirmisher executes the second specter. Now the only problem is my sniper. She's still clear the hell on the other side of the first building and two turns away from her grapple being up. I take out one of the zombies and use her death from above to drop down to the side of the building furthest from the evac, hoping I can LOS hack her to the evac before I run out of time. The officer moves and marks, the andromedon lands a shot on my remaining grenadier. The zombies move in and rupture where they didn't have to dash.

Next turn, my skirmisher can single move up to the evac and take a shot at the andromedon. She's out. The spark building hops to the evac and takes a shot, but I leave it to draw fire. The grenadier manages to dash to evac. So does the VIP. I move the trooper down to cover to draw fire as well. I manage to dash the sniper onto the roof adjacent to the evac out of line of sight. The andromedon and officer both shift and overwatch. One zombie runs up to the trooper and ruptures. The other runs up and detonates, detonating the first in the process. Trooper manages to live. I try to dash the trooper to the evac and pull the overwatches since the spark doesn't have line of sight. Andromedon takes him down. I dash my sniper up as close to the building with the evac as possible while staying on the far side from the aliens. Spark gets out. More zombies, but the aliens just wander around and don't overwatch. I grapple across, put the sniper in the evac, and manage to take out a zombie with two pistol shots before peacing out. I still can't believe I pulled through without losing anyone. Well, except the trooper.

I love this game.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Firstborn posted:

I like this game, but I think the old one is still better. I think if the old one had bonds, propaganda posters, and more customization it'd just be the best. There was more of a horror element to it (at least to me), with moody music and you are left in the dark a lot of the times (often literally, night missions were nerve wracking). I didn't realize how much I'd miss having Interceptors. The cover system is also intuitive, but I like the old "crouch behind the skyranger wheel". This isn't strictly nostalgia, although UFO Defense was like the first game I had on PSX. I played it again maybe 3 years ago.

Might have to boot it back up. The unearthly howl that aliens made when they died... what a rad game.

E: There's a great narrative style LP somewhere, too. Maybe the archives. Worth the read.
E2: Embracing the Saturday Morning Cartoon intro of UFO Defense is I think the worst possible road for this franchise to go in. The Chosen don't seem to fit in at all.
I feel like Xcom 2 and WOTC is everything Xcom 1 wanted to be.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

And make it really loving dark, literally. The water's opaqueness could play a major role in creating a mood.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Fuuuuck I lost Mox in my Ironman run! Is it possible to recruit more Skirmishers? gently caress I'm so pissed at myself

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Firstborn posted:

Fuuuuck I lost Mox in my Ironman run! Is it possible to recruit more Skirmishers? gently caress I'm so pissed at myself

Yeah if you lose Mox you can do a Recruit A Skirmisher covert op. Not sure if you need to boost your affinity with the skirmishers a bit before the op can show up.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I got Fear of Chosen....3 months after I had eradicated all the Chosen.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah if you lose Mox you can do a Recruit A Skirmisher covert op. Not sure if you need to boost your affinity with the skirmishers a bit before the op can show up.

Thanks! Man I'm pissed about Mox. He died in the first mission I bothered to send him on since his rescue to a stun lancer. Meanwhile the Reaper is like rank 3 and blows poo poo up.

If I had a console command to bring him back I would. I'm torn up! Mox!!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I got Fear of Chosen....3 months after I had eradicated all the Chosen.

Ghosts are scary.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Was watching a L/I run by joinrbs, kinda interesting that he puts scopes on shotguns (instead of laser sights). Anyone else does this?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, gives them better range which in turn gives rangers better cover options which means it improves their mobility.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Thanks! Man I'm pissed about Mox. He died in the first mission I bothered to send him on since his rescue to a stun lancer. Meanwhile the Reaper is like rank 3 and blows poo poo up.

If I had a console command to bring him back I would. I'm torn up! Mox!!
My skirmisher replacement soldier was both higher rank and higher intelligence, so good riddance Mox.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So I just attempted a mission to kill the Chosen Assassin. It didn't go well.

I killed her, then focused on the pillar thinking the battle would end when it was destroyed. Nope. It just summoned her in addition to the ADVENT guy and 2 Berserkers. RIP. Might just restart...
Question concerning base building: I noticed there are "power rooms" and just "debris" rooms. Should I build a certain facility in the power rooms? I feel like I dorked this playthrough pretty good. My research stuff was just... I don't know.

Anyone use the advanced option to take one of the faction soldiers with you on start-up? You get a Skrmisher and Reaper pretty soon after... I wonder if having an early Templar would break the game?

I also looked up that joinrbs guy, and I guess he only plays LW? I wanted to see a WOTC L/I run.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Firstborn posted:

So I just attempted a mission to kill the Chosen Assassin. It didn't go well.

I killed her, then focused on the pillar thinking the battle would end when it was destroyed. Nope. It just summoned her in addition to the ADVENT guy and 2 Berserkers. RIP. Might just restart...
Question concerning base building: I noticed there are "power rooms" and just "debris" rooms. Should I build a certain facility in the power rooms? I feel like I dorked this playthrough pretty good. My research stuff was just... I don't know.

Anyone use the advanced option to take one of the faction soldiers with you on start-up? You get a Skrmisher and Reaper pretty soon after... I wonder if having an early Templar would break the game?

I also looked up that joinrbs guy, and I guess he only plays LW? I wanted to see a WOTC L/I run.

If you play with the WotC story missions you don't get the recruited soldier at the beginning.

So its a trade off. You get way easier gatecrasher and a smoother first month with a faction soldier from day 1, but it'll take longer to get 2.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Oh, ok. I guess I could've contacted the Templars much earlier, I just... didn't. The one I got to play around with was pretty drat cool, and that Stasis ability made me feel less worried about taking him places.
When you say "way easier Gatecrasher", are you referring to the first mission? I've seen some posts on the internet about it, and I don't really see what the big deal is.

I didn't even know I could turn off the story missions. Anything else significant that effects it? No Mox or Elena, I guess? Anything else?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 12, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, note if you turn the story missions off you start with a random faction soldier. The option just lets you pick :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zore posted:

Yeah, note if you turn the story missions off you start with a random faction soldier. The option just lets you pick :v:

Starting with a templar on that seems like turbo difficulty with how Rend works. :v:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I feel dumb for just jumping in with both feet and all DLC. Rend seems pretty good to be able to run away into cover? Gatecrasher (if that's the first mission) is easy to do with no kills or wounded? What are you guys talking about!

Also, what mods do you guys use? I'm using the MGSV BDU, More Backstories, Unlocked Colors, Starting Staff (starts you with 1 Engineer and 1 Scientist... experimenting with this, I had an abandoned run where I didn't get an Engineer in like 5 hours), and a bunch of dumb tattoo ones. Considering the unit pictures at the top if it works with WOTC, and maybe the nickname ones.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 12, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Starting with a templar on that seems like turbo difficulty with how Rend works. :v:

Templar makes the early game a lot smoother. 100% to kill a trooper and 50/50 to kill sectoids and commanders with 2 focus on Legendary. It makes Gatecrasher really consistent

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Do the blacksite really early. The longer you wait, the stronger the enemies get, and that's a tricky mission already without having to deal with stronger enemies on top of it. I always end up doing blacksite before I'm out of ballistic weapons.

That's... not what a lot of people do in this thread, including myself. I often leave it as late as humanly possible, usually until the avatar bar fills, often hitting it with near-colonel guys and T2/T3 gear. Just do it whenever, there's no rush and the enemy quality scales only moderately.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Firstborn posted:

He does, search for WOTC in his channel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Am I supposed to be getting weekly resistance/faction missions on Legendary? I'm not complaining, I need the loot, but that seems like two to three times as often as Commander.

e: Wow putting two squads of stun lancers across this bridge in the tunnels I can't see across without activating both is a real lovely thing to do

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 12, 2017

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Firstborn posted:

You'll have two rooms with power coils. Whatever you build on the coil won't use up energy and the two biggest energy drains are the psi lab and shadow chamber so build those on the coils.

You can also build a power relay on the coil for bonus power but the bonus isn't as big as the power bill on the shadow chamber or sci lab so don't do that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game's given me 7 elerium cores and nothing else this run so I guess I'm going all in on SPARKs to carry me to victory. God knows I have nothing else to spend money on right now.

e: I asked before but didn't see an answer, what does the Stiletto Rounds dark event actually do? What's the "bleed" effect?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 12, 2017

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Bleed is another damage over time status effect, like poison or acid. The one time I've been hit with it, I didn't notice any penalties aside from the damage. That soldier got dazed pretty quickly though, so I might just not've had the chance.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Eraflure posted:

Yeah, gives them better range which in turn gives rangers better cover options which means it improves their mobility.

if you want to do this just give them a rifle. Shotguns should get laser sights and extended mags, maybe hair triggers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was thinking about late game stuff and it occurs to me I've never figured out what the point of giving the reapers that +25 to hack reward is. Isn't that like another 5% chance to get a reward on a door or crate (and not the towers because why would you reveal yourself for that)? Even SPARKs do better than that.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

The game's given me 7 elerium cores and nothing else this run so I guess I'm going all in on SPARKs to carry me to victory. God knows I have nothing else to spend money on right now.

e: I asked before but didn't see an answer, what does the Stiletto Rounds dark event actually do? What's the "bleed" effect?

If bleed's allowed to expire on a soldier (without being healed by a medikit or something similar), it forces them to go to bleeding out mode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exposure posted:

If bleed's allowed to expire on a soldier (without being healed by a medikit or something similar), it forces them to go to bleeding out mode.

I was thinking it was something like that but wasn't 100% sure. So my options for the dark event this time are "double scan times", "more ADVENT armor (which is the only one I'm allowed to pursue)" and "don't get shot".

Ok that's cool thanks ADVENT. :v:

I'd sure like some scopes now so I can stop missing. I've gotten lucky though, almost every shot against me, even a flank, has missed as well.

If a skirmisher with lighting reflexes gets shot at on his turn while moving, will Reflex trigger and get an extra action point for the next turn for them? Or does it have to happen on an alien move?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Just to be 100% clear, turning off the Lost & Abandoned DLC only removes the three part mission with Mox and Elena, and Mox's potential rescue right? You also don't get them, correct?
I never care to play that mission again, but would hate to miss out on some follow-up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Just to be 100% clear, turning off the Lost & Abandoned DLC only removes the three part mission with Mox and Elena, and Mox's potential rescue right? You also don't get them, correct?
I never care to play that mission again, but would hate to miss out on some follow-up.

Yep. All that is removed.

Instead you start off allied with a random faction from day one and contact the rest through covert ops. You can pick which one in the options.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, I'm thinking I like that better. Starting with a Templar is great, and the Templar HQ healing faster is making things go by pretty smooth.

I wonder, is there also a way to config the ini so that I can determine where I start the game?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I swear every game I started in xcom 2 was in the Arctic and every wotc game has been northeast Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've had 4 starts on the southern tip of Africa now. I'd just like some variety.