Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Party Alarm posted:

That link had me browsing BAT auctions and apparently someone bought an e39 540i for $32 loving grand

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-42/

it's pretty much perfect and still cheaper than the car was when it was new :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Party Alarm posted:

That link had me browsing BAT auctions and apparently someone bought an e39 540i for $32 loving grand

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-540i-42/

No amount of madness will cover the unpardonable act of this 330 ZHP bringing in twenty-six thousand American dollars

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-330i-zhp-7/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't think it's that weird for low mileage very clean examples of cars to sell for a lot of money. People like what they like and want what they want, and often are willing to pay a lot of money for it, especially if it's something that is rare or not readily available.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Look at how much people are paying for E30s and E30 M3s

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

No amount of madness will cover the unpardonable act of this 330 ZHP bringing in twenty-six thousand American dollars

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2003-bmw-330i-zhp-7/

The price of these cars makes me so loving mad that my absolutely pristine, low mileage, more or less perfectly optioned out ZHP was slowly torn apart by parking lot dings and rear end in a top hat drivers until it was worth probably half of what I could have sold it for. Also bugs the hell out of me because it means there's no way I can justify buying another one unless I want one that's as beat to poo poo as my car was.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
That e39 had "stage 5" dinan stuff done to the engine, what power does that equal?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Can anyone speak to Dinan performance options on the N55?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So speaking of "cheap" M3s, this is basically what I expect to run across sub-$20k:

https://savannah.craigslist.org/cto/d/richmond-hill-2010-bmw-m3/6793341250.html

High-ish mileage, really beat interior and probably a pretty rough exterior given the description although it's hard to tell from the pictures. This is still kind of an awesome price if it's as well maintained as this guy says, though.

edit- I really don't understand what people do to their cars to end up with interiors like this after 8 years and 90k miles, though.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 13, 2019

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Killstick posted:

That e39 had "stage 5" dinan stuff done to the engine, what power does that equal?

Not much. Like most Dinan packages of the era for naturally-aspirated cars, "Stage 5" is a cold air intake, a new airflow meter, intake manifold, throttle body and software. If it makes an extra 20 horsepower overall, I'd be pretty surprised.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
M60s were underrated so don't be surprised if it was quite a bit of extra HP

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Paradoxish posted:

So speaking of "cheap" M3s, this is basically what I expect to run across sub-$20k:

https://savannah.craigslist.org/cto/d/richmond-hill-2010-bmw-m3/6793341250.html

High-ish mileage, really beat interior and probably a pretty rough exterior given the description although it's hard to tell from the pictures. This is still kind of an awesome price if it's as well maintained as this guy says, though.

edit- I really don't understand what people do to their cars to end up with interiors like this after 8 years and 90k miles, though.

Rich person buys most expensive version of a car, daily drives it without giving a poo poo if some car nerd gets upset about it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Eh, the rubberized coating on the plastic is poo poo. My dad had skin dryness problems, so he used moisturizer, and it just ate the door handles. Just regular, unscented stuff. My 06 wore well, my 08, not so much.

You can replace those parts easier than redoing a seat so

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Alarbus posted:

Eh, the rubberized coating on the plastic is poo poo. My dad had skin dryness problems, so he used moisturizer, and it just ate the door handles. Just regular, unscented stuff. My 06 wore well, my 08, not so much.

You can replace those parts easier than redoing a seat so

I've seen it start falling off in less than 20k miles. It's really really bad.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Just had the oil changed and planned to have my M3 wrapped as long as nothing huge came up (space grey is literally the most boring color ever :wtc: ). I asked them to look into the A/C not working well and they said the evaporator is toast.

Thanks BMW for putting that under the loving dash in E90s! $2700 jfc

But the annoying thing is the car is so good to drive I don’t really care that much.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Just had the oil changed and planned to have my M3 wrapped as long as nothing huge came up (space grey is literally the most boring color ever :wtc: ). I asked them to look into the A/C not working well and they said the evaporator is toast.

Thanks BMW for putting that under the loving dash in E90s! $2700 jfc

But the annoying thing is the car is so good to drive I don’t really care that much.

Time to strip it to the bone and make it lighter and faster. A good excuse

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Bape Culture posted:

Time to strip it to the bone and make it lighter and faster. A good excuse

Lol my kids will love that.

Side note: I’ve never understood why people turn E9xs into track cars. Expensive parts, not reliable, heavy... I don’t get it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think the only real reason comes down to wanting a v8 BMW, otherwise I agree. Ungodly running costs for the performance.

As always, the cheap part is buying the car.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You spend a bit on dampers and brakes and batter gt3s for like 30 grand that’s why

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can do that for a lot less :lol:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Like what

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
a turbo miata

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah but who the hell wants to drive and maintain that?
All the e92 boys drive a nice posh luxurious car over to the ring, put low 6 laps in all week then drive home.
The appeal is surely obvious???

The only common competitor I can really think of is a cayman

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So wait, are you talking about well piloted E90 M3s with full interior beating 911 GT3 RS with shittier drivers around the ring or what? That is completely normal. I mean it is all bench racing, I am just saying that the E90 M3 is expensive to run for the lap times that you can get out of it as a strictly track car. If you want something with a full interior that you bring out a few times a year, sure, otherwise the financial strain is a lot less in something like a well piloted E36 M3 track car and the lap times will probably be not very far apart (and likely the person in the E36 M3 is going to be a fuckload quicker than some dude that comes out a few times a year in an E90 M3).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

So wait, are you talking about well piloted E90 M3s with full interior beating 911 GT3 RS with shittier drivers around the ring or what? That is completely normal. I mean it is all bench racing, I am just saying that the E90 M3 is expensive to run for the lap times that you can get out of it as a strictly track car. If you want something with a full interior that you bring out a few times a year, sure, otherwise the financial strain is a lot less in something like a well piloted E36 M3 track car and the lap times will probably be not very far apart.

Well piloted e92 with some interior is as fast as a GT3rs yeah. And everyone replaces the oil once a year and does bottom end refresh every couple. It’s not expensive to run for the performance of it at all. If you can find a car that can do a btg lap in sub 7 that’s not an m3 or a GTx I’m all ears.

30 seconds faster than an e36!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I know nothing of BTG times, I just know what running costs on my car are like and I suspect they are pretty close to an E36 M3.

A set of tires lasts me 8-10hr at $800/set for 255/40/17 and I have an idea of how long a set of the same tire in 275/35/18 lasts at $1200/set on an E90 M3 at similar pace (half the time to two thirds).
A set of front pads and rotors lasts 10-15 hours, depending on track mix
A 12 gallon tank of fuel lasts an hour and ten minutes, depending on the track
A S65 bottom end refresh is probably the cost of an E36 M3
Miscellaneous expenses are higher on the E90

I'm just saying... it isn't cheap, I'm guessing you're probably legitimately over $1000/hr all said and done track time with an E90 M3 when I consider that I am somewhere around $500/hr with the S2000 (and probably same for E36 M3). This is inclusive of track fees, fuel, consumables, etc.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

BlackMK4 posted:

I know nothing of BTG times, I just know what running costs on my car are like and I suspect they are pretty close to an E36 M3.

A set of tires lasts me 8-10hr at $800/set for 255/40/17 and I have an idea of how long a set of the same tire in 275/35/18 lasts at $1200/set on an E90 M3 at similar pace (half the time to two thirds).
A set of front pads and rotors lasts 10-15 hours, depending on track mix
A 12 gallon tank of fuel lasts an hour and ten minutes, depending on the track
A S65 bottom end refresh is probably the cost of an E36 M3
Miscellaneous expenses are higher on the E90

I'm just saying... it isn't cheap, I'm guessing you're probably legitimately over $1000/hr all said and done track time with an E90 M3 when I consider that I am somewhere around $500/hr with the S2000 (and probably same for E36 M3). This is inclusive of track fees, fuel, consumables, etc.

Jesus that is a huge price increase. I enjoy the M3 but for a full track prepped car? I would look elsewhere. A spirited driving machine, autocross machine, etc, the M3 is... Dedicated track car? $$$

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Food for thought, running costs on the 911 GT3 Cup cars are some stupid number over like $4k/hr, if you follow their maintenance schedule

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That’s because their engines are rated in hours.

They cost nothing like that to run. I don’t know why it’s so expensive in the states? Heat? Tight circuits?
My pal that comes with us drives over for the week trip does a full day or 2 and some tf and doesn’t need to change tyres or brakes. Not “race pace” but mid 7s.
My pal who does vln as a schirmer driver also doesn’t change poo poo up and he’s a literal racing driver.
So not sure what to say on that 🤷‍♂️

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Also there's like 3 kerbs on the entire Nordschleife that you (as a non-competition driver) are going to even touch on the average 'Well driven lap' if you are not a fan of rolling your car/destroying the entire underside. I feel like driving on rumblestrips is the main chewer of tires on a standard/smaller circuit where you spend a lot more time on them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

That’s because their engines are rated in hours.

They cost nothing like that to run. I don’t know why it’s so expensive in the states? Heat? Tight circuits?
My pal that comes with us drives over for the week trip does a full day or 2 and some tf and doesn’t need to change tyres or brakes. Not “race pace” but mid 7s.
My pal who does vln as a schirmer driver also doesn’t change poo poo up and he’s a literal racing driver.
So not sure what to say on that 🤷‍♂️

idk bro, i just write poo poo down in evernote and try not to mentally start adding things together so i can sleep at night

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how serious of a thing is this need to warm up e90m3 engines when you drive them? my commute is only 3 miles...a few stop signs, two lights and then up to freeway speed for 4-5 minutes and then back down to 20-30mph till i park

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

how serious of a thing is this need to warm up e90m3 engines when you drive them? my commute is only 3 miles...a few stop signs, two lights and then up to freeway speed for 4-5 minutes and then back down to 20-30mph till i park

Just don’t over rev it when it’s not up to temp

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know about M3 engines, but I usually wait until the revs drop when starting before taking off. And then keep the revs low until the oil temp needle starts to move.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

It takes like 60-90 seconds from when you first turn it on until the 'cold start' note drops down into the regular revs, then it's good to go basically. The only issue with the length of your drive there is that it takes 8 miles to warm up the differential enough to start doing burnouts.

You can hear it settle in at about 1:20 on this video, but this was after I hadn't started it for about 2 weeks while I was on vacation (and it was as cold as it ever gets here).
https://vimeo.com/124575684

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

It is pretty serious before you start pounding on them. The engine have a huge sump, they hold ten friggin quarts of synthetic oil for a 4.0L engine. I drive a moderate pace and keep the revs ~3000-3500 until it shows signs of warming on the oil temp gauge and not below 2000 so as to keep the engine from lugging which does just as much harm to bearings. Like EF said you need at least 8 miles of driving for other things to get up to temp as well including the diff and transmission fluids. All the words that have been said about the drivetrain being motorsports derived is no bull. A three mile commute would trash the car. I have a pretty short commute myself at about 8 miles door to door. I go out of my way to drive a little further when I take the M so that it gets up to temp and gets exercised properly. The cars need to be wrung out regularly. Generally accepted practice among the E9X community is that once your OBC shows the oil level (because remember these engines have an "electronic dip stick") your engine is up to operating temp and you can begin letting the German symphony beneath the bonnet begin to swell in chorus. This has been my take on it as well as the oil temp is generally >185*F and you will see operating temps from 190-210 depending on traffic/air con/ambient temps.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Some more serious advice on Warm Up

1. when you start the engine, dont touch anything for 15-20 seconds (let it idle) this ensures lubrication arrives everywhere it needs to, which can take dozens if not hundreds of revolutions if its cold and the oil is really thick. Personally i start the engine first, then connect my Bluetooth, buckle up , check mirrors and brakes etc. thats enough time to circulate the lubricant.

2. Torque demand results in higher bearing loads than rev demand (unless in extreme cases like Bikes and Long stroke Sports engines) balancing the 2 is important until the water temperature reaches thermostat opening temp. Avoid high RPM, but also avoid high throttle and low RPM. acceleration should happen between 2000-3000 RPM and not below 2000.

3. No full Throttle until twice the time it took to heat up the water, this is a safe window to heat up the oil, which can take longer depending on engine and fluid systems design.

This is not BMW or M3 specific but a good general advice for caring for petrol engines you wanna keep for extended periods of time

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well I mean will it be ok as long as I don't wring it out? That's just my morning commute, most afternoons require more miles and time so I don't think it would be an issue

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DONT BE DOIN A DRIFT ON YER WAY TO WERK

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BraveUlysses posted:

Well I mean will it be ok as long as I don't wring it out? That's just my morning commute, most afternoons require more miles and time so I don't think it would be an issue

As long as it's not every trip, then yeah just be nice to it while it's cold. The occasional short run isn't the worst thing, but make sure it gets a chance to stretch its legs regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
in some ways i feel like this thread is telling me, yes, it's good and normal to mainline :v: