Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The figure is probably only happening because Marvel is doing stuff with Nextwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

The figure is probably only happening because Marvel is doing stuff with Nextwave.

They are?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Beyond Corp is back and there's some rumbles of Nextwave reforming to stop them.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Just came across this wave at Walmart Snagged a Warrior. Goldberg as Ram Man was tempting. Still never saw a Mr. T or Roddy.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I found a Clone Wars Black Series Obi Wan at Target today. I had forgotten how much I liked the Star Wars packaging from RotS to the Clone Wars/Whatever the full Saga line was called.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Any word on whether or not the Sentinel Miles Morales will actually release through Gamestop on 7/9? Its been pushed back once at least and I'd really like to, you know, actually get it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

epsilon posted:

Any word on whether or not the Sentinel Miles Morales will actually release through Gamestop on 7/9? Its been pushed back once at least and I'd really like to, you know, actually get it.

I never managed to get the Spider-Verse Marvel Legends Miles and I don't want to pay those ebay prices. Does anybody have one they bought just for the BAF part and wouldn't mind selling the figure?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 4, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

IT’S BOX DAY, MUTHAFAKKAS!!! :black101:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

All of you need to be posting your most recent acquisitions and box days. This thread is missing photos, damnit!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Obiwan is currently in the company of several Godzillas

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Force ghost Zilla is just egging him on, after he kicked that blue dude in the balls and cut that lady's arms off.

Also, force ghost Zilla rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw one at this comic shop. 150. Yikes

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

IT’S BOX DAY, MUTHAFAKKAS!!! :black101:

Very cool Sevenger! The figuarts version is pretty awesome, I didn't get it but have seen it here and love it.

I picked these up this weekend:

Been wanting a black series Echo and Fives since the series started, so I'm halfway there. Had to pay $5 over retail for it, but it's literally the only one for sale in the country as all the shops with remaining stock are selling the waves as four piece sets. I'm glad to finally get him! The Bo Katan is for my spouse but I've been playing with it more this weekend then they did, I think it's the coolest black series release in the last year or so.

Breaker and Commando Snake Eyes hit the streets here on Friday, Snake Eyes sold out before I got one so will have to wait a few weeks for restocks. I didn't get Breaker, I handled a half dozen or so of them and they all had pretty bad paint issues with his mustache and beard, the worst I've seen in Classified by considerable measures, like worst of black series 2015ish bad. I realize I'm probably more precious and fussy about paint apps and such then a lot of people, but in my defense American toys start at 30% more or so then what they go for overseas, Breaker for instance is $80. Hopefully a good one will turn up or I'll wait until he gets marked down, he's not selling at all in these parts since he wasn't prominent in the cartoon and that's the only version of Joe's that most collectors here are enthusiastic about.

Sooper Gila fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 4, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sooper Gila posted:

Breaker and Commando Snake Eyes hit the streets here on Friday, Snake Eyes sold out before I got one so will have to wait a few weeks for restocks. I didn't get Breaker, I handled a half dozen or so of them and they all had pretty bad paint issues with his mustache and beard, the worst I've seen in Classified by considerable measures, like worst of black series 2015ish bad. I realize I'm probably more precious and fussy about paint apps and such then a lot of people, but in my defense American toys start at 30% more or so then what they go for overseas, Breaker for instance is $80. Hopefully a good one will turn up or I'll wait until he gets marked down, he's not selling at all in these parts since he wasn't prominent in the cartoon and that's the only version of Joe's that most collectors here are enthusiastic about.

Where are you, if I may ask?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I also recently got an ancient stock Halo 3 Cortana because I've been playing Halo for the first time in a decade and still like the Bungie ones

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Looks like there's a new MonsterArts Gigan coming out with a bunch of extra accessories. If anybody has the previous basic version and wants to upgrade, I'd buy the old one off you. Just saying.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/161560

Couldn't find this on AmiAmi for some reason.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

All of you need to be posting your most recent acquisitions and box days. This thread is missing photos, damnit!

I decided to sell off half my Black Series collection this past week, so I've actually been doing more reboxing than unboxing lately. But photos? Photos I got. Here's a deep dive into 'niche-even-for-Star-Wars' collecting.

This is what your standard 1977-1985 Kenner Star Wars droids look like underneath that vac-metal finish. Just a pretty neutral off-white cream plastic. Probably 80-90% of the Death Star Droid, C-3PO, and R2-D2 figures made during that era are like this.

But that other 10-20%?

The most plausible explanation that I've heard for these "colorways" is that whenever the Kenner factories finished a day's production batch for a given figure, whatever plastic was leftover was tossed into the bins for the droids. Unlike most figures, the colors of the plastic for them didn't matter because you'd never actually see it under the vac-metal chrome finishes. Makes sense, it's economical to avoid wasting plastic and meet the demand of the time. I love them. They're almost like pop art, and these pictures don't do justice to all the swirled marbling you see up close on them. And part of me really likes that folks who collect these are taking old beat to poo poo toys (it's easier to find the vibrant colors if the original finish is in bad shape or missing altogether) that would otherwise be trashed and giving them a second chance at display.

What's really cool is when you can actually identify where the original plastics came from.

Although occasionally you get horrible fleshy Cronenberg droids.

The Kenner Star Wars collecting scene in general has just exploded in the last few years, especially in 2020. There's a whole lot of really talented creators doing both perfect recreations of rare figures and their own designs and interpretations of unproduced characters. These things aren't repaints or fragile resin kits either, they're new factory-made plastic toys made with steel molds, just as Kenner would have done in the 80s.

Repros made by Stan Solo, a very angry and unprofessional man who nonetheless makes some of the best figures out there.

Original designs and "unproduced" characters:

That's a Teal Raider by Healeymade, a gold chrome Armorer by HasNoTalent, a Rebel Fleet Trooper by ProCustomFigures, various droids and a Stormtrooper Han by Stan Solo.

Sorry for the photodump, but this has kinda become my main collecting focus in the last few months.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I'm guessing my blue snaggletooth has dropped precipitously in price. Luckily I bought him 27 years ago when things were cheap

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Those are really neat! Who's the R2 unit between the solotrooper and protocol droid?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I'm guessing my blue snaggletooth has dropped precipitously in price. Luckily I bought him 27 years ago when things were cheap

Blue snags still bring $180-$275 depending on condition.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Those are really neat! Who's the R2 unit between the solotrooper and protocol droid?

I think Stan calls him B0-B4 since he’s in Boba colors and deco. Most of his droid designs are background props from the OT, but I think that one is his only original design.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is what your standard 1977-1985 Kenner Star Wars droids look like underneath that vac-metal finish. Just a pretty neutral off-white cream plastic. Probably 80-90% of the Death Star Droid, C-3PO, and R2-D2 figures made during that era are like this.

How do you remove the finish?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cloks posted:

How do you remove the finish?

Initially I was told to use generic oven cleaner in a glass pan and to seal the whole thing in a big ziploc. That kinda works, but it’s a) a hassle and b) probably hazardous due to fumes.

Now I just have a glass jar full of SuperClean that I dip them in and leave it for an hour or so. Works perfect, little to no mess, and it’s perfectly fine for the plastic. SuperClean is pretty cheap too, about $7 for a jug.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I totally had that yellow C-3PO from the Droids cartoon line. As goofy as that guy was, I loved him. Most of my vintage Star Wars toys are still in a closet at my mom's house and I haven't looked them over in years, so I can't remember what kind of shape that 3PO is in.

Edit: Jesus, that guy is worth a fortune. I had no idea. I don't even know if I have the whole figure anymore, he had that snap-apart feature that they added at ESB and I don't know what pieces I still have, if any. Hadn't thought about that little guy in years.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 5, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I totally had that yellow C-3PO from the Droids cartoon line. As goofy as that guy was, I loved him. Most of my vintage Star Wars toys are still in a closet at my mom's house and I haven't looked them over in years, so I can't remember what kind of shape that 3PO is in.

Edit: Jesus, that guy is worth a fortune. I had no idea. I don't even know if I have the whole figure anymore, he had that snap-apart feature that they added at ESB and I don't know what pieces I still have, if any. Hadn't thought about that little guy in years.

Oh yeah, pretty much the entire Droids line is really valuable. Even the nobody humans go for ~$200 each. Anything Kenner Star Wars made after 1984 is relatively rare simply because interest had waned and none of that stuff sold as well as the rest of the OT line. A lot of them just ended up in landfills.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Initially I was told to use generic oven cleaner in a glass pan and to seal the whole thing in a big ziploc. That kinda works, but it’s a) a hassle and b) probably hazardous due to fumes.

Now I just have a glass jar full of SuperClean that I dip them in and leave it for an hour or so. Works perfect, little to no mess, and it’s perfectly fine for the plastic. SuperClean is pretty cheap too, about $7 for a jug.

Do you leave the stuff submerged or do you just pour it on and let it sit and then wipe off the finish? These look really cool. Also, do you know of the POTF II figures were made the same way?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

Do you leave the stuff submerged or do you just pour it on and let it sit and then wipe off the finish? These look really cool. Also, do you know of the POTF II figures were made the same way?

I just leave them submerged in the jar for a few hours and then clean them off with an old toothbrush and some dish soap afterward. If you leave them in long enough all the finish just dissolves away, so all you’re cleaning off is the remaining SuperClean.

Not sure on the POTF2 figures, but I haven’t seen any pop up in the various stripped droid FB groups. The ones that I know for a fact are like this are the 77-80 original 3POs, Death Star Droids, the 77 R2 and the 80 Sensorscope R2. For whatever reason, the removable limbs 3PO only comes in two plastic colors; off-white like the 77 3PO in the first pic and bronze like the one you see on the top row of the tiered pic.

It’s easier to spot them in person, but on occasion I’ve gotten lucky with eBay listings. Look for beaters and then check areas like the feet, back, any protruding edge that would wear quickly after years of play. R2s are a little harder, you pretty much have to find one with big chunks of the chrome already missing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just leave them submerged in the jar for a few hours and then clean them off with an old toothbrush and some dish soap afterward. If you leave them in long enough all the finish just dissolves away, so all you’re cleaning off is the remaining SuperClean.

Not sure on the POTF2 figures, but I haven’t seen any pop up in the various stripped droid FB groups. The ones that I know for a fact are like this are the 77-80 original 3POs, Death Star Droids, the 77 R2 and the 80 Sensorscope R2. For whatever reason, the removable limbs 3PO only comes in two plastic colors; off-white like the 77 3PO in the first pic and bronze like the one you see on the top row of the tiered pic.

It’s easier to spot them in person, but on occasion I’ve gotten lucky with eBay listings. Look for beaters and then check areas like the feet, back, any protruding edge that would wear quickly after years of play. R2s are a little harder, you pretty much have to find one with big chunks of the chrome already missing.

Amusingly the only 80s era C-3PO I have is the removable limbs one. It's a really cool idea but I'm not interested in paying more than like 10-15 bucks for the figure. I have no idea what 70s/80s Star Wars figures go for these days.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where are you, if I may ask?

I'm in Singapore.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love them. They're almost like pop art, and these pictures don't do justice to all the swirled marbling you see up close on them. And part of me really likes that folks who collect these are taking old beat to poo poo toys (it's easier to find the vibrant colors if the original finish is in bad shape or missing altogether) that would otherwise be trashed and giving them a second chance at display.

These are really beautiful indeed, they even look cool very cool arranged together with their various colors like that. I know it defeats the purpose of giving new life to old toys but I'd love to see some of these color arrangements in the the size of the gentle giant jumbo figures.

I've never taken the chrome off any Star Wars stuff, I have stripped chrome from some transformers parts before using denatured alcohol so i could repaint them after they had nasty chomewear. Takara likes to put chrome over black plastic too so that can be pretty ugly... Super Clean isn't sold under that brand name as far as I know here, I understand it's safer than denatured alcohol which I've heard can damage plastic if you leave it in there too long.

Kenner and Hasbro back then applied chrome really well. I've got a 3po and a Destro that have been on display here for 15 years and the chrome is still perfect, even after I've posed and handled them countless times. Even my 25th anniversary Destro is still good.

I'd like to see some Mattel Cylons in bright coloured chrome. Those were losing their chrome already in the seventies so would be quite easy to clean up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh man, I remember we bought a bunch of Droids figures and vehicles at an auction when I was a kid, so it would have only been a couple of years old at the point. It was ex shop stock, so a trade box of carded figures and some boxed vehicles. I know I opened some, but I’ve no idea what happened to them. Presumably we sold them for way less that they’re worth now. :saddowns:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here she is!

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 5, 2021

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well if we're doing Kenner Star Wars I'll repost mine with some new photos. Click for big.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nice!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Here's some boxes! This is everything I've gotten over the past month or so:

Just got Obi Wan today, that's why he's still in his box

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh Lord the other one is the cyborg spiderman from that deathlok teamup back in the 90s, with the arm, eye, and POUCHES.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, I remember we bought a bunch of Droids figures and vehicles at an auction when I was a kid, so it would have only been a couple of years old at the point. It was ex shop stock, so a trade box of carded figures and some boxed vehicles. I know I opened some, but I’ve no idea what happened to them. Presumably we sold them for way less that they’re worth now. :saddowns:

I got most of the Droids line in the mid-90s. There were some that were already kinda expensive but nothing like today. I miss the time before ebay when all we had were newsgroups and Toy Shop

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I had no idea until today that Boss Fight Studio made a 4" Zorro action figure, or that this was something I needed in my life, but I absolutely do.

I ordered the one with his horse; the basic one is sold out on BBTS right now but it looks like you can still buy direct from Boss Fight, maybe other places. I was a little torn because I like the basic black outfit and all-silver sword, it's a nice clean design... but I like the cape design better on the mounted version (molded shoulder cape over soft goods), the red sash and gold-accented sword are fun, and more importantly I felt like Zorro has to have his pal Tornado.

I found a picture of the released figure with the cloth cape... oddly enough the cape is not included in a lot of the promo pictures.

Badass!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

davebo posted:

Well if we're doing Kenner Star Wars I'll repost mine with some new photos. Click for big.

These are great, I love the big Hoth display.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I had no idea until today that Boss Fight Studio made a 4" Zorro action figure, or that this was something I needed in my life, but I absolutely do.

I ordered the one with his horse; the basic one is sold out on BBTS right now but it looks like you can still buy direct from Boss Fight, maybe other places. I was a little torn because I like the basic black outfit and all-silver sword, it's a nice clean design... but I like the cape design better on the mounted version (molded shoulder cape over soft goods), the red sash and gold-accented sword are fun, and more importantly I felt like Zorro has to have his pal Tornado.

I found a picture of the released figure with the cloth cape... oddly enough the cape is not included in a lot of the promo pictures.

Badass!

This looks great too. Apparently that company is doing a bunch of pulp heroes and I’m kinda tempted. I’d kill for a decent The Shadow.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d kill for a decent The Shadow.

I was thinking the same thing!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This looks great too. Apparently that company is doing a bunch of pulp heroes and I’m kinda tempted. I’d kill for a decent The Shadow.

My dad always used to quote the opening of The Shadow when I was growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

My dad always used to quote the opening of The Shadow when I was growing up.

I can’t explain exactly why, but I loving loved the Alec Baldwin movie when I was a little kid. I distinctly remember having a red Shadow lunchbox with thermos that I used all through elementary. I didn’t even hear one of the radio dramas until I was a teenager.

That movie absolutely does not hold up, though.