Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Got a couple albums with Hiroshi Nagai-illustrated covers, which were cheaper to buy and ship from Hong Kong than to preorder from US-based distributors, as well as Takuya Kuroda's album from November which they had to send me twice.

Also visited a new to me record store and found a few things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Arcella posted:

Got a couple albums with Hiroshi Nagai-illustrated covers, which were cheaper to buy and ship from Hong Kong than to preorder from US-based distributors, as well as Takuya Kuroda's album from November which they had to send me twice.

That Lui is such a cool album. I found a sealed OG copy for cheap on Maui last summer.

SwimNurd fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 25, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Arcella posted:

My mans Kevin

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Creature posted:

I went to a record fair! It was so nice to actually browse through crates.

I admit I am basic.

Not records, but they made me happy.

Original copies from 1989. The seller pointed at one and said 'yes, this is good'. He didn't comment on the other. Guess which was which.

Sparks is not basic.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone saying Tin Machine was good would be at least mildly unusual given the very mixed reception it got at the time it was released.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Found a copy of Tangerine Dream's Underwater Sunlight mixed in a $3 trunk that was otherwise Mantovani and 101 Strings. Singles need cleaning but were $1 each. On the right is Del Shannon's Keep Searchin'. On the left is perhaps the epitome of southern beach music of the 1960s, the Swingin' Medallions' Double Shot (of My Baby's Love).

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

As a high schooler, I had a copy of Tangerine Dream’s Green Desert that I must have played the absolute poo poo out of. It was so moody and atmospheric and completely unlike anything I had been exposed to before. Kicking myself for not saving more of the old vinyl when my mother sold her house…

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I wasn't paying attention while putting Propaganda back into its jacket, and managed to undo the entire bottom seam. There was no tearing, just 50 year old glue finally giving up. :(

I need to repair a few others, so are there any recommended glues for record jackets or would any standard paper/cardboard glue be ok?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

Someone saying Tin Machine was good would be at least mildly unusual given the very mixed reception it got at the time it was released.

Tin machine is good

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Picked up this The Locust EP the other day. Limited of 3,000 and the discs are shaped like puzzle pieces.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Grabbed that off them when I saw them live in the… mid 00s? Always thought it might be one that would become more valuable but never really seemed to shift in price much. Fun gimmick, can’t remember if I’ve ever played mine.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

TrixRabbi posted:

Picked up this The Locust EP the other day. Limited of 3,000 and the discs are shaped like puzzle pieces.

And I thought The Flaming Lips Zaireeka CD set was complicated...

That's cool.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

CPL593H posted:

That thing hit stores ages ago. If you're not holding out for whatever pretty colors LITA is selling and this album is hard to get there are several copies at the Newbury Comics in my area. It's the overpriced Newbury variant so it's 40 bucks though. But if you absolutely must have it I can pick it up for you and send it your way (obviously for the money).

'Preciate the offer but at this point the value in this record is seeing how long it will take to actually be delivered. It's like a perpetual game of roulette where I put $40 on black a year ago and the ball keeps skipping around the wheel. Where will it drop!?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

TrixRabbi posted:

I love the Locust and had so many gimmicky CDs of theirs.

This EP rocks but flipping every 30 seconds would suck lol

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Creature posted:

I wasn't paying attention while putting Propaganda back into its jacket, and managed to undo the entire bottom seam. There was no tearing, just 50 year old glue finally giving up. :(

I need to repair a few others, so are there any recommended glues for record jackets or would any standard paper/cardboard glue be ok?

This one is really simple.

You literally just need a bead of Elmer's along the seam and a few books to lay on it while it dries.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

I love the Locust and had so many gimmicky CDs of theirs.

This EP rocks but flipping every 30 seconds would suck lol

Yeah, I played it after taking the photos and it's fun, it's what you expect from The Locust, but literally most of the tracks are like one 50 second song and then you gotta flip. When you finally get to the single 2 minute song it's a relief.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

One of my favorite Desert Daze memories was seeing a bunch of old school hippies running for their lives when The Locust started. I think they wandered in and didn't know what they were getting in to.

CaptainBeefart posted:

And I thought The Flaming Lips Zaireeka CD set was complicated...
Zaireeka exists solely so you and your stoner buddies can spend the entire night going "OKAY. One... Two... Three... gently caress. Okay, okay, start over. One. Two. Three... gently caress."

God those dudes should probably be my thing, but they're absolutely not my thing at all. See also: They Might Be Giants.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

At least there's "Safety Second, Body Last" which is two songs and ten minutes long.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

At least there's "Safety Second, Body Last" which is two songs and ten minutes long.

I also bought this one the other day.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

I also bought this one the other day.

Nice that's probably my favorite record of theirs with "Plague Soundscapes" a close second.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Domino Records sent me some unsolicited promo for what I’m assuming is the new Protomartyr record.

Now I’m very excited.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

dorium posted:

Domino Records sent me some unsolicited promo for what I’m assuming is the new Protomartyr record.

Now I’m very excited.

Siiiiick

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Managed to track down a new copy of one of my favorite albums of all time over President's Day weekend (@ 30% off even). Last one in stock from some record store in Iceland (one of my favorite places). It sounds great!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fresh in today, about two months late but they were really cool and sent clear, honest updates.

Oh yeah, speaking of triple lps that should have been here in December, this came in late last month

Though they were opaque and used PR-speak, and they also never answered why some people got their preorders on time and others were delayed 5 weeks. Or why they had copies sent to retail before fulfilling their preorders. So they don't get a nice photo. That'll learn em :fyadride:

No but realtalk the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth about modern Ween. Yes their distro hosed it up but they're big boys who have been doing this for a while and should have their poo poo together by now. Dunno why they cut ties with Schnitzel in the UK, they were solid. Anyway it's good so far, I played disc one last month. I'll get around to finishing it at some point.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Hello friends, I'm finally posting that vaporwave music thread (A E S T H E T I C welcome as well) this weekend, a couple folks in PYF expressed interest so why not make my first real thread after 10 years? :kiddo: I'll post a link here once it's done, in case any of you nerds care or are even slightly curious about it.

pwn posted:

Fresh in today, about two months late but they were really cool and sent clear, honest updates.

I've never heard of this before but I'm listening to this now and it's sick as hell. Wish-listed! :cheers:

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 1, 2023

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Because I love Enka and it's always super cheap and Mina Aoe's voice is incredible I got a nice cheap bulk lot

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

Dunno why they cut ties with Schnitzel in the UK, they were solid. Anyway it's good so far, I played disc one last month. I'll get around to finishing it at some point.
I remember right before dropping Schnitzel the label was teasing a Chocolate and Cheese reissue, too. And where's the live Mollusk show from a couple years back they were clearly recording for a live release, too?

Read After Burning posted:

I've never heard of this before but I'm listening to this now and it's sick as hell. Wish-listed! :cheers:
It's a compilation of their last couple of albums minus the vocals and samples. I point this out because jumping on board with Speech Free would be a buck wild starting point, 'cause sampling is Negativland's bread and butter. Something like this (which also shows up on Speech Free minus vocals and samples) paints a much more accurate picture of their message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObUIDD_ALo0

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

caligulamprey posted:

It's a compilation of their last couple of albums minus the vocals and samples. I point this out because jumping on board with Speech Free would be a buck wild starting point, 'cause sampling is Negativland's bread and butter. Something like this (which also shows up on Speech Free minus vocals and samples) paints a much more accurate picture of their message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObUIDD_ALo0

This is sick as hell but it's A Lot for 9 in the morning, ha. :stare: I'll be bookmarking this and checking the rest out later tonight, with some weed and with the lights off, ha.

I'm a sucker for some sampling, so looking forward to it!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
WHY DOES NOBODY SELL DISTILLED WATER ???

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nightmare Cinema posted:

yeah its tough to find. its been tough to find post lockdown when the world was coming back out of their homes. i had to have my mom hit up her pharmacies last year and buy me a whole pallet of the stuff because I could not find it here in San Francisco at all.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Target has it near me. And the grocery store. I didn’t realize it was scarce.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

We had trouble finding some early in the pandemic for some humidifiers, and then it turned out Home Depot regularly had largely quantities of the stuff at various local stores, I guess because it has some use in plumbing equipment or something. This seems regularly to be in stock in our local Home Depots:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crystal-Springs-1-Gal-Distilled-Water-1001801198/206873687

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
nvm I found some at a Shop Rite lol

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
got the represses for autechre's confield and draft 7.30, they sound great and have no skips. can't wait for them to get to repressing exai

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I know it's basic indie bitch stuff but In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is so good. There's that NMH boxset being re-released soon but I couldn't justify the whole price for the two albums.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I get my distilled water from Amazon.

pwn
May 27, 2004

They have hundreds of gallons at Woodman's, that's where I get mine. Do most grocery stores not carry it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

They have hundreds of gallons at Woodman's, that's where I get mine. Do most grocery stores not carry it?

Most grocery stores do, in my experience.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Big box store was clearing out some stock at relatively decent Australian prices, so nabbed:

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
Muse - Absolution
Chvrches - Screen Violence

Future Nostalgia whips, Absolution is the second best Muse album and they didn't have Origin of Symmetry so I settled, and Screen Violence gets a pretty good rap around here so I blind bought it. Pretty neat way to close Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

I, Butthole posted:

Big box store was clearing out some stock at relatively decent Australian prices, so nabbed:

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
Muse - Absolution
Chvrches - Screen Violence

Future Nostalgia whips, Absolution is the second best Muse album and they didn't have Origin of Symmetry so I settled, and Screen Violence gets a pretty good rap around here so I blind bought it. Pretty neat way to close Friday.

I also used this opportunity to pick up music for psychedelic therapy by Jon Hopkins