Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgh, this is typical AMD. Tech that looks promising, but you'd never actually touch until they work the bugs out a generation down the road!

repiv posted:

2x 480 isn't better than a 1080? Are you calling #Roy #Taylor a liar? :colbert:

I'm saying that Roy is holding out. There's something they're working on that they're not talking about, and it's probably the interposer-stitched dual-GPU board with a single logical interface that's been hypothesized, but that's so far off AMD will be broken up or bankrupt before it comes out.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Well, it could avoid the multigpu issue with a interposer, correct? Also, for TDP reasons, it'd make more sense to use cut Polaris 10 (two RX470s, not two RX480s). Achieving perfect scaling (99%) would put them consistently ahead of a 1080, for likely ~225W stock.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
where did he get the $200+ cost saving from
last I saw 2x 480 8gb is $500 vs $650 for a 1080 assuming you never find one for 600

also the min fps even at 4k is pretty bad for some of those games

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahaha

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also I have been waiting for this

A Desktop 1070 inside a ASUS gaming laptop sounds like a pretty sweet deal. ~980Ti performance on the go would make portable VR setups and demos a lot easier for sure, and with a 1080P screen still, not like you will have any trouble playing anything for the next few years on it at max settings.

Though the temptation to wait for a desktop 1080 is there too... Grrr

Waiting for laptops like this to also include displays that push more pixels than DisplayPort 1.2a can handle, since 1070s/1080s support DP 1.3

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Interposers are, from what I understand, hideously expensive. Now add together the cost of two GPUs and an expensive interposer and you are probably looking at a $700-$800 card. And that still assumes that you can truly stitch together two GPUs to work as one via an interposer, I'm not sure if that is true or not and if it is true I wonder how much R&D you would need to spend to get it all working as well as a single chip. It just seems like such a kludgy solution and makes me think AMD is pretty desperate at this point, I thought the 490 would just end up being the low end Vega product, not some dual GPU Frankenstein card, I'm glad this is just a vague rumor.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

MeruFM posted:

where did he get the $200+ cost saving from
last I saw 2x 480 8gb is $500 vs $650 for a 1080 assuming you never find one for 600

also the min fps even at 4k is pretty bad for some of those games

yes the very article roy links isn't exactly saying "if you bought a 1080, return it for crossfired 480's lol"

Roy sucks. He gets "away" with so much poo poo. If some dweeb from nvidia acted like roy he'd be hung from a tree

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AMDs made it quite clear they intend to go interposer/MCM with Navi, using Polaris as a testbed for new tech to iron out the inevitable issues makes sense, just as much as releasing Fury X with HBM. If you get it to work, it's not desperate it's a definite advantage. You basically maximize yield per wafer, and all the R&D done to get th Interposer working means less time spent working on various different chips. Nvidia releases a 1536CC part? Whip up an 2x1024 part. Oh, 2560CC? I guess we can just slap together a 3x1024SP part in very short order. You get to play easy counter every time they release a product, and if they're still going monolithic they'll not only hit a wall around ~600mm², but they'll deal with a massively higher defective die rate. Die size limitation wouldn't exist for such designs, beyond attrition rates being more favorable.

It might as well be magic until it happens though, but it seems that's what AMD wants to pull off.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

yes the very article roy links isn't exactly saying "if you bought a 1080, return it for crossfired 480's lol"

Roy sucks. He gets "away" with so much poo poo. If some dweeb from nvidia acted like roy he'd be hung from a tree

Why do you think Roy no longer works for NVIDIA? :v:

Hubis fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 9, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hubis posted:

Why do you think Roy doesn't work for NVIDIA anymore? :v:

Muscling in on JHH's schtick?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Hubis posted:

Why do you think Roy doesn't work for NVIDIA anymore? :v:

Why does he even work for AMD? Banish him to the forgotten realms of VIA and Savage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FaustianQ posted:

Why does he even work for AMD? Banish him to the forgotten realms of VIA and Savage.

Send him to Imagination.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

xthetenth posted:

Muscling in on JHH's schtick?

There can be only one (black motorcycle jacket)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Send him to Imagination.

Hey look man, Imagination has enough on their plate right now with Qualcomm products eating up their marketshare and Apple products taking a nosedive :colbert: (I am still amused that the most powerful mobile GPUs are Radeon derivatives).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FaustianQ posted:

AMDs made it quite clear they intend to go interposer/MCM with Navi, using Polaris as a testbed for new tech to iron out the inevitable issues makes sense, just as much as releasing Fury X with HBM. If you get it to work, it's not desperate it's a definite advantage. You basically maximize yield per wafer, and all the R&D done to get th Interposer working means less time spent working on various different chips. Nvidia releases a 1536CC part? Whip up an 2x1024 part. Oh, 2560CC? I guess we can just slap together a 3x1024SP part in very short order. You get to play easy counter every time they release a product, and if they're still going monolithic they'll not only hit a wall around ~600mm², but they'll deal with a massively higher defective die rate. Die size limitation wouldn't exist for such designs, beyond attrition rates being more favorable.

It might as well be magic until it happens though, but it seems that's what AMD wants to pull off.

Especially if direct X 12 irons out the prior issues with multi GPU setups.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And they're all sporting DVI ports.

I suppose that using an AIB cooler means that you don't need the vent holes on the mounting bracket as much but man it seems like we've been teased a DVI-less future for years now..

You could actually put a full complement of DVI + 3xDP + HDMI on a single header slot, I think. You'd just need to go with MiniDP and Mini-HDMI instead of the full-sized versions. They convert fine with a passive adapter/cable.

Mini-DP is about the size of the old USB Mini-B connector (not Micro-B), it's perfect and I wish there was more uptake of it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Did... did you use the card without removing the giant "REMOVE BEFORE USE" sticker? :ughh:

I mean, the alternative is that they saved the sticker and put it back on - not sure which is worse

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 9, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had the 970 version of that edition of MSI, Golden. It was the best air cooled 970 only beaten by water cooling. That full copper block is amazing, but extremely heavy.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Did... did you use the card without removing the giant "REMOVE BEFORE USE" sticker? :ughh:

I mean, the alternative is that they saved the sticker and put it back on - not sure which is worse

I have a friend who likes to keep all the protective, adhesive plastic on his stuff because "fingerprints/dust/dirt/damage/it looks better/what if I want to return it?"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlayVus posted:

I had the 970 version of that edition of MSI, Golden. It was the best air cooled 970 only beaten by water cooling. That full copper block is amazing, but extremely heavy.

If I didn't want Step Up I would have gotten the Golden Edition instead of a Classified for my 980 Ti. Amazing card/cooler and like $40 or $50 cheaper than the Classified.

From what I remember it's on par with the G1 Gaming, Amp! Extreme, and Kingpin.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I hate to say it, but that is a lot of ifs, especially the part about getting the chips to work together without crossfire related problems.
Its a 'CF on a stick' card so the CF problems won't go away period. Likely it'll have a minor price premium on it vs 2x RX480's and won't sell well since most don't bother with multi GPU set ups period. They're probably just trying to get something out there for now that they can point to as plugging the gap between the 1070/1080 and the RX480.

That pic of the old bus they were going to try and do between GPU's to improve CF performance always made me wonder why they've never bothered to try and improve on that idea. Even if that implementation would've never worked well enough to bother with the basic concept sounds reasonable. In theory if you get a fast enough bus between the 2 GPU's you could do a pretty good job of faking 1 big GPU with minimal driver BS. It'd have to be a pretty fast and low latency bus though.

FaustianQ posted:

Well, it could avoid the multigpu issue with a interposer, correct
Maybe. If they designed the GPU for such a purpose with a bus we don't know about. Using a interposer would make it too expensive though. It'd probably cost lots more than a 1080. In which case it wouldn't make much sense even if the typical CF issues went away since you'd be spending more than a 1080 costs for 1080-ish performance at best.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 9, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I guess there wasn't much of a point in trying to learn how to OC my Gigabyte G1 1070.

Valley (Pre-OC)
FPS: 89.5
Score: 3745

Valley (Post-OC)
FPS: 90.9
Score: 3802

Here are the details of the OC:
Clock: 1595 -> 1700
Memory: 2002 -> 2292
Boost: 1785 -> 1890

Afterburner shows the clock at 2075 while running benchmark.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

You could actually put a full complement of DVI + 3xDP + HDMI on a single header slot, I think. You'd just need to go with MiniDP and Mini-HDMI instead of the full-sized versions. They convert fine with a passive adapter/cable.

Mini-DP is about the size of the old USB Mini-B connector (not Micro-B), it's perfect and I wish there was more uptake of it.

Same. I think you could actually use connectors rotated 90 degrees so the mini DP connectors are vertical and take up even LESS space to cram more connections in, but nooooo, everything's gotta have a DVI port. =X

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I guess there wasn't much of a point in trying to learn how to OC my Gigabyte G1 1070.

Valley (Pre-OC)

Valley (Post-OC)

this is fantastic to hear bc i really didn't want to expend the effort

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Trying to sell an 480x2 for $400 would be an awful idea, the 1070 is superior in every possible way.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

I have a friend who likes to keep all the protective, adhesive plastic on his stuff because "fingerprints/dust/dirt/damage/it looks better/what if I want to return it?"

Yeah that annoys me to no end but im not even sure why. The problem of course with this sticker is it covers up a whole fan... stickergate lol

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

KingKapalone posted:

Valley (Pre-OC)

Valley (Post-OC)

My factory boost got up to 1975 as it was, while 100 mhz is never a joke its still ~so close~ now. I'd leave your memory OC though, memory speed is always good.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Phlegmish posted:

I wonder why that is, they're a big company, they should have enough resources for good R&D.

AMD grand "strategy" for the past decade was waiting for competitors to screw up except the fact Intel hasn't did since 2006, Nvidia since 2010 and both certainly ain't messing around anytime soon.

And when both doesn't, milk the poo poo out of their old inherently inferior uarchs with perf/price alone because AMD has nothing else to compete in any other metric.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 9, 2016

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well I guess I'm a freak then because I totally saved that sticker from my 1080 and will likely stick it back on when I sell it on SA Mart in 3 years or whatever

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im trying to help someone upgrade their computer. They use autodesk and rhino for architecture stuff.

They have a monstrous way too expensive pc at work but this is for home use so they can view the files and do some light work.

They currently have a quadro K600 1GB and an i3 4360 which while fast isnt cutting it for multithread workloads. Im going to replace the i3 with an i7 but i dont know which consumer gpu to buy.

They are paying for it out of pocket so im not looking for a pro solution. The recommended hardware off the autodesk site has gtx690 and titans. All of which are still expensive. Are there other options? Is there a list of which consumer gpus are also good for work applications?

Their power supply is a 300w bronze by seasonic, its good but not very powerful. Not having to buy a new one would be nice, but still okay if needed.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 9, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

im trying to help someone upgrade their computer. They use autodesk and rhino for architecture stuff.

They have a monstrous way too expensive pc at work but this is for home use so they can view the files and do some light work.

They currently have a quadro K600 1GB and an i3 4360 which while fast isnt cutting it for multithread workloads. Im going to replace the i3 with an i7 but i dont know which consumer gpu to buy.

They are paying for it out of pocket so im not looking for a pro solution. The recommended hardware off the autodesk site has gtx690 and titans. All of which are still expensive. Are there other options?

If you need something Kepler for compute, you could look at either the 780 Ti or the GTX Titan. Both are pretty affordable nowadays. The GTX Titan has more VRAM and supports double-precision compute, if he needs that it's the obviously best choice. Bear in mind we're talking about the original Titan, which goes for less than $400 nowadays.

If you can get away with single-precision compute you have a lot more options. I would probably look for something like a GTX 970 or a 290/390 (do not get the reference blower cooler). On the high end, 1070.

Also if he's doing that kind of productivity work, the HEDT processors like the 5820k may be more appropriate than something like the 4790k/6700k.

e:

Fauxtool posted:

Their power supply is a 300w bronze by seasonic, its good but not very powerful. Not having to buy a new one would be nice, but still okay if needed.

You are pretty much going to have to replace that. Even a 970 and a 6700k puts you uncomfortably close to 300W. That's a power supply that's unsuitable for anything but an iGPU, basically. If you don't want to replace it, you will be limited to something in the 750 Ti / 950 / 960 range.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 9, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you need something Kepler for compute, you could look at either the 780 Ti or the GTX Titan. Both are pretty affordable nowadays. The GTX Titan has more VRAM and supports double-precision compute, if he needs that it's the obviously best choice. Bear in mind we're talking about the original Titan, which goes for less than $400 nowadays.

If you can get away with single-precision compute you have a lot more options. I would probably look for something like a GTX 970 or a 290/390 (do not get the reference blower cooler). On the high end, 1070.

Also if he's doing that kind of productivity work, the HEDT processors like the 5820k may be more appropriate than something like the 4790k/6700k.

e:

You are pretty much going to have to replace that. Even a 970 and a 6700k puts you uncomfortably close to 300W. That's a power supply that's unsuitable for anything but an iGPU, basically.

they dont know if its single/double precision compute, how would I know?

They gave me an autodesk cd-key and a sample file if that helps

The mobo is H97 so i dont think K cpus are needed, but are you saying they have some unique function not related to overclocking?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 9, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its a 'CF on a stick' card so the CF problems won't go away period. Likely it'll have a minor price premium on it vs 2x RX480's and won't sell well since most don't bother with multi GPU set ups period. They're probably just trying to get something out there for now that they can point to as plugging the gap between the 1070/1080 and the RX480.

That pic of the old bus they were going to try and do between GPU's to improve CF performance always made me wonder why they've never bothered to try and improve on that idea. Even if that implementation would've never worked well enough to bother with the basic concept sounds reasonable. In theory if you get a fast enough bus between the 2 GPU's you could do a pretty good job of faking 1 big GPU with minimal driver BS. It'd have to be a pretty fast and low latency bus though.

Actually, interposer-based chips don't necessarily need to be CF-on-a-stick. You could have the memory controller and other shared parts on a single die, with "compute dies" that consist largely/entirely of compute units. Depending on how they designed the RX480 they may be able to disable the control circuitry on one of the units and have the other "master" chip run it as a slave. The chips could run in the same memory space and so on.

Also, the interposer is actually a fully-fledged chip on its own, and the chip containing the memory controller and other control electronics can actually be the interposer itself ("active interposer" concept).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

they dont know if its single/double precision compute, how would I know?

If Autodesk are suggesting the GTX 690 then it must be a single precision workload - that card has extremely low double precision performance.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually, interposer-based chips don't necessarily need to be CF-on-a-stick.
True but I don't think anybody will be able to put out advanced purpose built multi die GPU's like for at least a couple more years in consumer products. Same thing goes for 'active' interposers. They're supposed to be as big of a leap in difficulty and cost over a 'passive' interposer as the 'passive' interposer was over typical GPU PBGA packaging.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually, interposer-based chips don't necessarily need to be CF-on-a-stick. You could have the memory controller and other shared parts on a single die, with "compute dies" that consist largely/entirely of compute units. Depending on how they designed the RX480 they may be able to disable the control circuitry on one of the units and have the other "master" chip run it as a slave. The chips could run in the same memory space and so on.

Also, the interposer is actually a fully-fledged chip on its own, and the chip containing the memory controller and other control electronics can actually be the interposer itself ("active interposer" concept).

You really get limited by the interface between the chips and the interposer, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hubis posted:

You really get limited by the interface between the chips and the interposer, though.

Yeah, this sounds similar to the old way x86 systems were built, where the CPU(s) talked to the northbridge to access the memory. That made for a bottleneck after a certain point, especially with multiple processors, which is why they don't do that anymore and moved the memory controllers on-die.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hubis posted:

It's a lot better than PCB traces, though.

...come to think of it, I wonder if one of the reasons Polaris is so hot is because it's designed to push outsized amounts of energy to communicate with other chips on the interposer. I have no evidence for that whatsoever but it would be funny if AMD was playing 3-dimensional chess all along. Or at least, 2.5D. :laugh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It would be pretty nice if we could get a dumb good card out of nowhere.

Right now, the manufacture cost of an rx480 is about $100-110 total per reference board for AMD, and likely selling on to AIBs at a $40-50 margin. If they could do two chips without crossfire bullshit and sell it at $300 msrp they'd all but keep the margin per chip selling to AIBs, but have a cheap thing performing up there with 1070.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm going to take a guess that the seller bought the card and took a set of unboxing photos before using it, probably because he intended to resell it relatively quickly. Then he used the older photos in the listing because why not.

Or not. Whatever. I don't really care. :shrug: