Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

rabidsquid posted:

that guy isnt crazy he was just very obviously on uppers

You're implying Kojima has ever spent a day of his life sober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

that guy isnt crazy he was just very obviously on uppers

:lol: indeed. That dude is probably going to have an interesting day tomorrow.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Horizon is a solid game, ultimately (and yeah, I know, I dogged on it, eating crow here guys), but it doesn't really break new ground, and it was up against a lot of games that a lot of people see as game changers.

Being pretty good but conventional just wasn't gonna win it all in 2017.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

maybe i am not playing the right games but i thought the weapon selection in horizon was pretty cool with stuff like the sling and ropecaster. although it was ~just~ a third person action game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When are we going to find out that Death Stranding is actually a video game and not Kojima playing with CG models of his crush?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

When are we going to find out that Death Stranding is actually a video game and not Kojima playing with CG models of his crush?

I'm pretty sure it's just going to be MGS but without the espionage and weaponry. Basically the hospital level of MGS5 but more floating whales and psycho mantis dudes.

I also think the story is gonna be a new universe big bangs its way on top of ours and is fighting to take all of our babies to populate itself. It's gonna be extremely loving dope.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's gonna be something.

Bad, probably. Kojima's not told a good story since MGS2 or an interesting one since MGS3.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just going to be MGS but without the espionage and weaponry. Basically the hospital level of MGS5 but more floating whales and psycho mantis dudes.

I also think the story is gonna be a new universe big bangs its way on top of ours and is fighting to take all of our babies to populate itself. It's gonna be extremely loving dope.

i assume you mean without a massive arsenal of weaponry since the dudes in the trailer were definitely guys with guns

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

HGH posted:

So did HZD sweep everything and Nier get snubbed every time?

The quote is real, it's from a Reddit AmA he did. However judging from his immediate reply to that he may have been joking.

Thanks a bunch!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

rabidsquid posted:

i assume you mean without a massive arsenal of weaponry since the dudes in the trailer were definitely guys with guns

Kojima in his usual cryptic way hinted that Death Stranding's gameplay wouldn't involve much violence. Or maybe he was just talking out of his rear end, who knows.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is it worth trying go through Amazon to trade in my launch PS4 for a PS4 Pro? I'm not really dissatisfied with mine, I just figure it's an opportunity to trade in older hardware for new, with the added benefit of some 4K. The lack of UHD support is still a real head-scratcher - if it had one I feel like it'd be a no-brainer.

I might just pass and stay in upscaled-1080p land for now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sony knows that physical media for movies is dead

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

IAmKale posted:

Is it worth trying go through Amazon to trade in my launch PS4 for a PS4 Pro? I'm not really dissatisfied with mine, I just figure it's an opportunity to trade in older hardware for new, with the added benefit of some 4K. The lack of UHD support is still a real head-scratcher - if it had one I feel like it'd be a no-brainer.

I might just pass and stay in upscaled-1080p land for now.

How much credit will amazon give you? Offer it to a mate for the same amount. Lots of people still after launch PS4s.

Not sure how it is in US but I just sold mine for au$200. That was a significant chunk off a pro (about au$450 on a good day).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sakurazuka posted:

Sony knows that physical media for movies is dead

with 4k taking off, eh, not really

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's gonna be something.

Bad, probably. Kojima's not told a good story since MGS2 or an interesting one since MGS3.

Mgs2 is a well told story?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is it really gonna be that long before we have 4K lossless streaming?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Mgs2 is a well told story?
Yeah

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samurai Sanders posted:

in america as it stands now it looks like "literally never," maybe in other places tho

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

ehh honestly I think so. Plus now a lot of ISPs are putting in bandwith limits around 1 TB/month. With 4k you're more reliant on everything working: internet connection, speed, connections in general. I'm all about digital but blu-ray especially 4k is where I just want a disc for peace of mind

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Are people actually buying 4K blurays or are the TVs just selling because it's harder to get one that isn't 4K now?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sakurazuka posted:

Are people actually buying 4K blurays or are the TVs just selling because it's harder to get one that isn't 4K now?

What's the difference, ultimately? TVs fail when they fail.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

probably more of the latter but I think the former will increase as they get cheaper or people get an xbox one s or x whatever. I mean it seems pretty clear people are freaking out at anything that has 4k attached to it and eating it up like me :capitalism:

but w/e the few really good PS4 4k games are amazing and 4k Planet Earth 2 is also amazing

How does Destiny 2 look btw? Didn't it get the HDR patch and other graphical bits?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyvJv_ZJkPE
Watch this to learn more about Dreams, which is LBP on the best drugs. Despite VR support coming after release I'll want it right on release with its potential.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Nier did get best soundtrack.

That's awesome and completely deserved.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh yeah, by the way, I'm the guy excited for Soul Calibur 6: A Tale of Soul and Sword, Eternally Told

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New FROM game confirmed as Shadow the Hedgehog Souls-like

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Sakurazuka posted:

I got a 2016 LG OLED and watching UHD Blu-rays on it is so much better than any 4k streaming service that's available

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I rent the movie from the cable box for 4 dollars in 1080i :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Regular Blu rays look about the same as a 4K stream.

It's all about the bitrate baby!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Romancing SaGa 2, one of Japan's most beloved JRPGs, is finally coming out next week on virtually every major platform outside of mobile devices PS4/Steam/Switch/Xbox One/Vita/Windows Store) in the Western world after 25 years.

https://twitter.com/square_enix_eu/status/939087161755762688

In an interview with VG247, Square says outright that they'll probably localize the new game (Scarlet Grace) if this sells. It's such a surprise to see this come out of nowhere, they did the iOS/Android version a year ago and said "Oh we'll do the Vita version too" then 11 months of silence and suddenly it's coming next week on everything. Thanks, Square!

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 8, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does it still count if I buy the Vita version? :smith:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You have to buy all versions and send the receipt, with a drop of blood, to the Square-Enix HQ.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Romancing SaGa 2, one of Japan's most beloved JRPGs, is finally coming out next week on virtually every major platform outside of mobile devices PS4/Steam/Switch/Xbox One/Vita/Windows Store) in the Western world after 25 years.

https://twitter.com/square_enix_eu/status/939087161755762688

In an interview with VG247, Square says outright that they'll probably localize the new game (Scarlet Grace) if this sells. It's such a surprise to see this come out of nowhere, they did the iOS/Android version a year ago and said "Oh we'll do the Vita version too" then 11 months of silence and suddenly it's coming next week on everything. Thanks, Square!

Is this from the same guy who made FF2 and is mostly known for making bizarre game mechanics that no one understands?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That's what makes SaGa games the best.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is Romancing Saga 2 thought of as better than 3? I know there's not really a good translation of 2. Iirc.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Finally watched the Death Stranding trailer. Kojima has the best, most special brain.

Mitsurugi looks younger in Soul Calibur 6. Reboot?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Finally watched the Death Stranding trailer. Kojima has the best, most special brain.

MKX had the Kombat Kids, SC6 has the Calibabies.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Harlock posted:

Is Romancing Saga 2 thought of as better than 3? I know there's not really a good translation of 2. Iirc.

The US release of 2 is the first time its ever gotten an English translation! The first two games are really well liked over there.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The press release for 6 suggests that it's kind of a reboot going back to the original Soulcalibur.

"Taking place in the 16th century, revisit the events of the original SOULCALIBUR to uncover hidden truths with a diverse lineup of new and returning characters with their unique fighting styles including series mainstays; Mitsurugi and Sophitia."

Attitude Indicator posted:

Is this from the same guy who made FF2 and is mostly known for making bizarre game mechanics that no one understands?

He was part of both FF1 and 2 but yeah he's The Weird Guy at Square. SaGa isn't all that crazy in its mechanics, a lot of it is just RNG that heavily weighs in favor of giving you level ups/new skills when you're fighting adversity. If you're just grinding in a dungeon aimlessly then you're not really learning anything from fighting the same guys over and over, but if you're up against a new boss and people are getting downed then you're more likely to get that clutch new skill or figure out a combination attack. Triumph in the face of adversity and the world not waiting for you are the two big gimmicks in a lot of them.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm watching a nicovideo stream for cool people ( http://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv309052847 ) of Roman SaGa 2 and if the visual direction of just about all mobile FF DQ ETC 2D JRPG remakes put you of this will make you happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Policenaut posted:

He was part of both FF1 and 2 but yeah he's The Weird Guy at Square. SaGa isn't all that crazy in its mechanics, a lot of it is just RNG that heavily weighs in favor of giving you level ups/new skills when you're fighting adversity. If you're just grinding in a dungeon aimlessly then you're not really learning anything from fighting the same guys over and over, but if you're up against a new boss and people are getting downed then you're more likely to get that clutch new skill or figure out a combination attack. Triumph in the face of adversity and the world not waiting for you are the two big gimmicks in a lot of them.

I see. ah well, RNG gains are dumb anyway. That poo poo was terrible in Crisis Core