Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I read a few notes on color theory that suggest that actual black isn't a good color to use because it limits your ability to shade. One recommendation was to incorporate a bit of dark blue into mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Thanks chaps. I actually prime most stuff white since getting colours up from black to be bright enough I find hard / more time consuming. Though white shows any missed bits. Might try grey for most stuff, but black for DW makes sense. Not for the many angled followers of Tzeentch though.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Black primer is The Good poo poo (especially for deathwatch obviously), but you can get some pretty nice results in other cases with a white primer -> ink setup, especially if you take the time to zenithal prime.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That does seem like a fairly devastating arrangement. Maybe spend the extra 5 points and give the Intercessors auto bolt rifles so you can advance everything and still get your full shots off; that'd be a fairly devastating level of mobility.

Auto Bolt Rifles are pretty obvious there, yeah. I think you also want the power sword on the sergeant, but the aggressors and inceptors should both be at their dakka setup.

I bet this unit could do a lot against a heavy vehicle if you gave it the reroll 1's thingy or the +1 to wound stratagem. It almost seems self sufficient.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Milotic posted:

Thanks chaps. I actually prime most stuff white since getting colours up from black to be bright enough I find hard / more time consuming. Though white shows any missed bits. Might try grey for most stuff, but black for DW makes sense. Not for the many angled followers of Tzeentch though.

I'd rather prime grey for deathwatch. I'm going to be airbrushing black over it anyways to get a better surface finish than the primer, so I'd rather grey obviously show me what I've missed than discover later than half a leg is a different sheen of black.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Which 1500 point list would you rather play with/against?

AdMech: Stygies brigade
2 Dominusses
2x5 man ranger squads each with arquebus
2x5 man ranger squads naked
4 castellan bots (all phosphor?)
2 datasmiths
10 infiltrators
2 dunecrawlers with neutron laser

OR

AstraMil: tempestus brigade
2 tempestor primes with power axe and plasma pistol
2x5 man scions with 2 plasma
1x5 man scions squad with volley guns
1x4 man scion command squad with 4 meltas
2 taurox primes with autocannon and Gatling guns

Tallarn Spearhead
1 tank commander with battle cannon, las, and HB sponsons
3 individual leman russes with battle cannon and heavy bolters
2 techpriests to keep the tanks happy

So both lists are about $350 which seem like good value for their points/content. I definitely like the AdMech models more, and their rules and models both seem a bit more fun and dynamic, but I also like the idea of a mechanized scions and tank force just rolling across the battlefield blasting everything to bits.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I read a few notes on color theory that suggest that actual black isn't a good color to use because it limits your ability to shade. One recommendation was to incorporate a bit of dark blue into mix.
Yeah, painting black armor kind of sucks. Just ask me or TheSexCannon. :shepicide:

Some people might mix paints into the black or even use a really dark grey in place of black to allow them to shade. I wet blend dark grey into my black on any lightward surfaces to give some impression of light and shading. I also edge highlight everything to hell which gives it a glossy effect. I start with a grey-blue (old GW Shadow Grey), a medium grey, and then I selectively use a light blue-grey (old GW Space Wolves Grey) on corners or sharp edges. It takes way too long, but I wind up with a really nice final product so I'm reluctant to change anything. It also lets me highlight black fabric, leather, etc. differently for a flatter effect, allowing them to stand out a bit from the armor.

You can see what I'm talking about on my MkIV dorks. I blended dark grey on the shoulder pads and knee pads though it came out kind of subtle. The highlighting is self-evident.

I'm currently painting some MkIII special weapons guys and I went heavier on the blending. Shoulders, knees, vambraces, helmets etc. So far they've been more fun than the MkIV, but I'm still in the basecoating stages, specifically the heraldry. I'm sure highlighting will be its usual arduous self, but they're not nearly as flat as the MkIV so should take to it really well.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also, never don't prime black

As someone who's army is light bone colored, I disrespectfully disagree

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My black's not as good as SexCannon's or Safety Factor's, but I don't do quite as many layers.

I start from a basecoat of Abbadon Black, then zenithally airbrush on Vallejo German Grey, which is about equivalent to Eshin Gray. I then edge highlight basically every edge with straight German Grey/Eshin Grey, then edge only upper edges with Badger Minitaire Badger Gray (roughly GW Fenrisian Grey).

Without an airbush you can try and do a thin coat of Eshin on the upper half of most armor plates, but it's rough. You can see on the shield plate on the CML terminator that I kinda messed up on the freehand the first time and had to repaint it. I tried to match the Abbadon to Eshin zenithal with a brush but it really didn't work well.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 16, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fake James posted:

As someone who's army is light bone colored, I disrespectfully disagree

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I recently did a test model for my Deathwatch where I primed Grey and washed with Nuln Oil 3 or 4 times. I was super happy with the results. The times I've done primed black and painted black, I felt that was always a bit flat (though a blue or purple wash go a long way here). By priming grey, I felt the wash made the color stand out a bit more and not be so overwhelmingly dark, but instead be a bit more spread around.

Here are some quick pics. I should set up the light box and do some more. Pretty happy with how he is turning out (though the face is a bit of a loss).

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Crazy Ferret posted:

I recently did a test model for my Deathwatch where I primed Grey and washed with Nuln Oil 3 or 4 times. I was super happy with the results. The times I've done primed black and painted black, I felt that was always a bit flat (though a blue or purple wash go a long way here). By priming grey, I felt the wash made the color stand out a bit more and not be so overwhelmingly dark, but instead be a bit more spread around.

Here are some quick pics. I should set up the light box and do some more. Pretty happy with how he is turning out (though the face is a bit of a loss).

Wait, so that’s just grey prime with layers of black wash? Hmmmmmm very interesting....

I’m trying really hard not to switch to deathwatch. I have half a painted ultramarines force I gave up on when the codex came out.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Moose-Alini posted:

Wait, so that’s just grey prime with layers of black wash? Hmmmmmm very interesting....

I’m trying really hard not to switch to deathwatch. I have half a painted ultramarines force I gave up on when the codex came out.

I'm struggling to remember the exact number but I don't think it was more than 4. I basically primed grey, took a good sized brush with Nuln Oil and applied liberally. I let it dry and went over it again and repeated the process. I highlighted with Adeptus Battlegrey (which is called Mechanicus Standard Grey so there might be a slight change if you get the new pot) and washed the highlights as well. The real thing was letting it completely dry before going to the next one. Should be good for batch painting once I get around to building up my Deathwatch.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Which 1500 point list would you rather play with/against?

AdMech: Stygies brigade
2 Dominusses
2x5 man ranger squads each with arquebus
2x5 man ranger squads naked
4 castellan bots (all phosphor?)
2 datasmiths
10 infiltrators
2 dunecrawlers with neutron laser

OR

AstraMil: tempestus brigade
2 tempestor primes with power axe and plasma pistol
2x5 man scions with 2 plasma
1x5 man scions squad with volley guns
1x4 man scion command squad with 4 meltas
2 taurox primes with autocannon and Gatling guns

Tallarn Spearhead
1 tank commander with battle cannon, las, and HB sponsons
3 individual leman russes with battle cannon and heavy bolters
2 techpriests to keep the tanks happy

So both lists are about $350 which seem like good value for their points/content. I definitely like the AdMech models more, and their rules and models both seem a bit more fun and dynamic, but I also like the idea of a mechanized scions and tank force just rolling across the battlefield blasting everything to bits.

Personally I like admech more but I can see no reason to take two domini or two datasmiths. In fact I'm struggling to see any reason to take a datasmith at all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Serotonin posted:

Personally I like admech more but I can see no reason to take two domini or two datasmiths. In fact I'm struggling to see any reason to take a datasmith at all.

Looks like it’s the contents of two start collecting boxes + 2 robot boxes.

I think you’ll have more fun with more bigass 50’s robots on the field and it’ll be easier to make that a well rounded army if you start from there.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
If I use kraken bolts, my bolt rifle's rapid fire range extends to 18", right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheBigAristotle posted:

If I use kraken bolts, my bolt rifle's rapid fire range extends to 18", right?

Yes.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Moose-Alini posted:

My biggest issue with Primaris is I hate how samey the models in the units are because it kills my painting motivation. Even the 10-man boxes are kind of boring. So Deathwatch is awesome because I can mix in all the other primaris dudes and have way more interesting units, particularly by adding in fun greebly bits from other chapters so every marine actually looks unique.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Is there a deathwatch terminator upgrade kit? I've got a squad of standard terminators laying around unpainted, and really like the idea of dropping them somewhere and hosing poo poo down with special issue storm bolters. It'd be fun to add a death watch patrol or something to my list.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

chutche2 posted:

Is there a deathwatch terminator upgrade kit? I've got a squad of standard terminators laying around unpainted, and really like the idea of dropping them somewhere and hosing poo poo down with special issue storm bolters. It'd be fun to add a death watch patrol or something to my list.

The regular upgrade kit comes with a couple of terminator shoulder pads but there's not a dedicated one.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TRYING to make progress on my spaeci aelves.

Irate Tree posted:

Finally got the shield and mount done for the platform, painting wise, anyway. Gotta put a transfer on it and maybe an extra marking. In the mean time, i can start on the handlers.

Edit: Actual images and not lovely phone pics!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bonds0097 posted:

My biggest issue with Primaris is I hate how samey the models in the units are because it kills my painting motivation. Even the 10-man boxes are kind of boring. So Deathwatch is awesome because I can mix in all the other primaris dudes and have way more interesting units, particularly by adding in fun greebly bits from other chapters so every marine actually looks unique.

I get how that can be dull. For me the uniformity is appealing; it forces me to think about ways add subtle variation through unique poses or modifications. For example using plasma exterminators on the DI Inceptors.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The regular upgrade kit comes with a couple of terminator shoulder pads but there's not a dedicated one.

Yeah, I might do that then. 222 points to drop 5 guys with 5 special issue ammo storm bolters. Maybe toss one a cyclone, and another one TH+SS. They can get crazy with meltaguns too if I want to spend infinity points on them, maybe in a PL game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have painted 1 (one) big boy and I loving loved it. I imagine I will continue doing so.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

Yeah, I might do that then. 222 points to drop 5 guys with 5 special issue ammo storm bolters. Maybe toss one a cyclone, and another one TH+SS. They can get crazy with meltaguns too if I want to spend infinity points on them, maybe in a PL game.

You can fit a squad of five with Storm Bolters and Power Fists with Meltaguns, which is probably the most balanced armament a Terminator squad can ever have.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I have painted 1 (one) big boy and I loving loved it. I imagine I will continue doing so.

Yeah, originally I was going to pick up intercessors later on after more work on the sisters half, but after doing some Inceptors I think they might be my next purchase.

All those giant armor plates are so nice to edge.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Deathwatch has been an itch I’ve wanted to scratch ever since Deathwatch Overkill came out. It seems everywhere is sold out of the upgrade sprue. Even the TCR store had a limited selection - a Kill team, a Corvus Blackstar and a watch master. I feel GW missed a trick here to bring out some more stock in preparation.

I bought and read through the Codex and the fluff in it is so wonderful and stupid and cool. There’s symbols for chapters I’ve not really heard of before. Mentions of races I’ve never heard of. Some lateral thinking Marines. I’m excited to slowly build something up as a model driven army and rip my toe in the loyalist section. And now I’m salivating over the Primaris Captain. Sigh. This hobby.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Strobe posted:

You can fit a squad of five with Storm Bolters and Power Fists with Meltaguns, which is probably the most balanced armament a Terminator squad can ever have.

5x PF+meltagun would be really awesome but at that point the squad costs more than a crusader does. 63 points a model is close to centurion points isn't it?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Deathwatch has been an itch I’ve wanted to scratch ever since Deathwatch Overkill came out. It seems everywhere is sold out of the upgrade sprue. Even the TCR store had a limited selection - a Kill team, a Corvus Blackstar and a watch master. I feel GW missed a trick here to bring out some more stock in preparation.

I bought and read through the Codex and the fluff in it is so wonderful and stupid and cool. There’s symbols for chapters I’ve not really heard of before. Mentions of races I’ve never heard of. Some lateral thinking Marines. I’m excited to slowly build something up as a model driven army and rip my toe in the loyalist section. And now I’m salivating over the Primaris Captain. Sigh. This hobby.

What are you looking for? I've got a ton of extras

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

5x PF+meltagun would be really awesome but at that point the squad costs more than a crusader does. 63 points a model is close to centurion points isn't it?

64 points per model. 31 for the base, 4 for storm bolter, 17 for melta, 12 for power fist. That said, it's 64 points a model for five melta guns, five Deathwatch storm bolters, and five veteran powerfists.

The alternate loadout you can grab is 31 base, 4 for storm bolter, and 4 for power maul for a bargain basement 39 points for that kind of disgusting throw weight and 2+/5++.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just bought Deathwatch codex. Currently ordering PopGoesTheMonkey Deathwatch stuff, and Guardian Spear bits off ebay.

Oh, and ordering 10 Intercessors (for auto bolt rifles), and aggressors 7-9.

This hobby.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Milotic posted:

I'm really excited about Deathwatch. At the very least it will be more interesting to play than my Fists, and I can bring them along as an auxiliary or something, or use them in my local store's next escalation league.

I've held off on finishing my box of 10 Reivers and I'm glad I did, because now I'm just going to paint them all black with yellow right shoulder pads, that way they can function in my Imperial Fists and Deathwatch. I'll probaly magnetize a shoulder pad, or even just use some tacky molding to stick the Deathwatch pads on there.

I base coated 5 with carbines today, and I've yet to assemble the remaining 5. I think I'm gonna go with knives, I figure I can use the kraken bolts to extend the pistol ranges to something reasonable, and still retain loads of attacks against weaker opposing units.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

TheChirurgeon posted:

this man speaks truth

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any thoughts on Kill Team Cassius? I like them as a model set, so if I ever get them it will be because of that most of all, but I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts/experience in general.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

All this Deathwatch excitement makes me think I should finally throw my stuff online to sell.

I like them, but I don't need a 3rd marine army.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Kill Team Cassius? I like them as a model set, so if I ever get them it will be because of that most of all, but I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts/experience in general.

They're all monopose, but the bulk of them is stuff you'd load out dudes with anyway.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm thinking Deathwatch is enough of the way I wanted to play 'pure' Primaris that I might just buy a tonne of shoulder pads, pop the =I= ones on, and go there instead.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of Fortis Kill Teams; Some of the additions (Aggressors, for example) granting the Ultramarine trait to units is awesome, but some (a Reiver, for example) don't seem to swing enough benefit bringing the Shock Grenade for a unit that generally doesn't want to get into melee every time. So, what's the 'good' Fortis team loadout, so far?

E: Also, for the 'pure' Deathwatch, the Primaris deployed directly to the Chapter via the Ultima Founding, (mentioned on the fluff page) what should their shoulder pad look like, do you think? Colour? Icon?

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 17, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

This guy gets it. Prime black, coat black

:respek:

I had mixed results the one time I primed blue and priming white was just an exercise in finding bright white nooks and crannies that I missed.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

I'm thinking Deathwatch is enough of the way I wanted to play 'pure' Primaris that I might just buy a tonne of shoulder pads, pop the =I= ones on, and go there instead.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of Fortis Kill Teams; Some of the additions (Aggressors, for example) granting the Ultramarine trait to units is awesome, but some (a Reiver, for example) don't seem to swing enough benefit bringing the Shock Grenade for a unit that generally doesn't want to get into melee every time. So, what's the 'good' Fortis team loadout, so far?

I think it's going to be 9 intercessors and 1 inceptor. Special issue ammo lets them handle a wide range of targets, and the inceptor lets them fall back out of melee and still shoot. Adding anything else dilutes the squad.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

The chatter I've seen so far is the T5 gimmick with a combination of 5 Inceptors/Aggressors, and 5 Intercessors, as well as an aggressor with any combination of assault weapons that aren't Inceptor guns.

In my head I'm seeing a Reiver, an Aggressor, 6 Intercessors with assault bolt rifles, and I dunno, an Inceptor so we can fall back and fire? I dunno.

I like the idea of flamers on Aggressors in a mixed unit. Not sure why, am I wrong here? I've only gone with the bolters, but I figure if I'm not getting special ammo, I might as well bring something that's gonna cause a lot of hurt when I close ground with my opponent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

I think it's going to be 9 intercessors and 1 inceptor. Special issue ammo lets them handle a wide range of targets, and the inceptor lets them fall back out of melee and still shoot. Adding anything else dilutes the squad.

Honestly I like 5 Intercessors and 5 Hellblasters. Split the squad and now you have two units that get ObSec.