Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Captain Foo posted:

17776 was so fuckin good

The little story about the Go Browns light staying on after that woman’s grandpa passed made me tear up and really stuck with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

nrook posted:

anybody have a lobsters invite? people are calling me wrong on the internet and I can’t respond

nice try, deanonymizer

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nrook posted:

anybody have a lobsters invite? people are calling me wrong on the internet and I can’t respond

what is lobsters and why does it require invitations

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mystes posted:

youtube recommendations have gotten so chaotic

I just got recommended a video from a channel with 549 subscribers that seems to be an ex-mormon evangelical telling mormons that the parts of the bible that condone polygamy don't actually count. The video only has like 1000 views but there are like 20 comments from mormons arguing back in the comments

Youtube keeps recommending me clips of video games with 10 views that were uploaded that same day

mystes
May 31, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Youtube keeps recommending me clips of video games with 10 views that were uploaded that same day
I suspect that youtube now somehow really aggressively identifies topics that it thinks you are interested in and will feed you videos with only a few views, and if you like them, will show them to more people (I assume that's how tiktok works too?)

Sometimes it's pretty clear, like "I watched 20 videos about the tv show ____ so now it's showing me a video with 10 views about the same tv show" but sometimes it's pretty weird

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 20, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah i’m pretty sure they mix in tens of views videos just for a laugh.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
maybe they're trying to avoid paying out so much to people with a huge number of subscribers

or are just trying to give new users (or ones without many followers) a chance, idk

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

like i used to browse youtube in private windows. one time the front page had a video with like 15 views that was some woman in india preparing an alter for a festival. i kept an eye on it and it got thousands of views over the next hour or so. her other videos were all 10s of views.

just the weirdest poo poo. why that video? why recommend it to lots of people on the front page? what does that woman think happened?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think that happened to one of my remix videos. my stuff never gets more than a dozen views or so, but one day i was +800 on that one. who knows

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

I think that happened to one of my remix videos. my stuff never gets more than a dozen views or so, but one day i was +800 on that one. who knows
I think it can be even more extreme. Sometimes people who have like 100 views on all their videos will make a new video and randomly get like 10,000 views, I assume just because people who youtube showed it to liked it so it showed it to more people

Also there's the well known thing where suddenly youtube will show a ton of people a video that came out years ago and all the comments will be from within the last day and be like "lol brought here by the algorithm for some reason"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the basic problem with neural poo poo is that it's brutally opaque. they almost certainly don't know how their own poo poo works, it's great

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think the 100 view video thing is them experimenting with ways to get people to watch new channels instead of just suggesting more of the same channels you already watch. They had some success with this like 6 months to a year ago with more aggressively promoting some pretty good videos with like 10k views that were still related to the subjects you generally watch. now it seems maybe they're trying to replicate that success with even smaller channels cause its pretty hard to get even 10k views. however, this seems to just lead to the algorithm dredging up alot of junk.

imo its good that they're actually making these tweaks and experimenting with things cause giving more stuff exposure is good.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Beeftweeter posted:

what is lobsters and why does it require invitations

lobste.rs is like hackernews minus the startup/vc horseshit, with an overall mildly higher level of discourse

it's invite-only to reduce bot infestations and so the mods can send blame up the public referral chain when somebody's enough of an asshat to get banned

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my youtube recs are pretty solid for the most part and if anything ever comes up that looks stupid I just click the not interested button and it seems to work out fine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

lobste.rs is like hackernews minus the startup/vc horseshit, with an overall mildly higher level of discourse

it's invite-only to reduce bot infestations and so the mods can send blame up the public referral chain when somebody's enough of an asshat to get banned

oh meh just stick to yospos imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shaggar posted:

I think the 100 view video thing is them experimenting with ways to get people to watch new channels instead of just suggesting more of the same channels you already watch. They had some success with this like 6 months to a year ago with more aggressively promoting some pretty good videos with like 10k views that were still related to the subjects you generally watch. now it seems maybe they're trying to replicate that success with even smaller channels cause its pretty hard to get even 10k views. however, this seems to just lead to the algorithm dredging up alot of junk.

imo its good that they're actually making these tweaks and experimenting with things cause giving more stuff exposure is good.

yeah, i don't really care about youtube but i'm glad the recommendations aren't all the same like 5-6 superstar tubers (potatoes)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
YT lately has a totally blank landing page with no recs for brand new users, what's that about?

seems like an extremely anti-Number thing to do

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
probably not intentional

YouTube seems to be on the cusp of forgiving me for using an ad blocker, sometimes it just loads (a blocked ad) forever instead of telling me playback is not allowed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
get a better ad blocker

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't had any problem since like the first week or two after they started the anti-adblocker stuff, during which I had to refresh my ublock origin filter lists about once a day

In fact I had actually forgotten about it

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

oh meh just stick to yospos imo

Yea, no one should be responsible for anything here

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

probably not intentional

YouTube seems to be on the cusp of forgiving me for using an ad blocker, sometimes it just loads (a blocked ad) forever instead of telling me playback is not allowed

no i’m pretty sure the blank landing is intentional.

when i’d open a private window i’d just get the average youtube zeitgeist recs (so mr beast, music, news, a few other big youtubers)

they were doing an a/b test where you’d either get the general recs landing page, or a blank page that just says “start searching to watch videos”

then they chose b and you only ever get a blank page with “start searching to watch videos” now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's usually blank for me because i have watch history (and therefore recommendations) off. sometimes it shows popular videos but sometimes it doesn't (maybe a 30/70 split in favor of not)

obviously that seems to be some kind of a/b thing but has been happening for years, so idk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

mystes posted:

I think it can be even more extreme. Sometimes people who have like 100 views on all their videos will make a new video and randomly get like 10,000 views

i always assume this is because the person with 100 views spent $40 and bought the 10k views

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
generally i think everyone needs to remember that you can just buy a reasonably pipular tweet/gram/yt for about what you’d pay for a niceish lunch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
video rewatch georg strikes again

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I have Paul rudd - celery man on my quick launch bar and I just click that and then subscriptions when I want to watch YouTube. I never see the main page.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://www.techradar.com/cameras/drones/dji-drones-just-got-a-new-rival-in-the-us-that-licenses-dji-technology

quote:

DJI drones just got a new rival in the US that licenses… DJI technology

well, that's a little roundabout. one weird trick to beat the drone ban?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the controller in the photo at the bottom of the article is the dji controller but green

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post hole digger posted:

along those lines, given how many people still see reddit as the last search engine index place to find real info from real humans, its funny to wonder how many ai bots are posting responses to reddit messages in the same way, but operated by 3rd parties and not disclosing that they are ai at all

From 404 Media this morning (no link because it was an email newsletter that didn't seem to link anywhere)

quote:

For years, people who have found Google search frustrating have been adding “Reddit” to the end of their search queries. This practice is so common that Google even acknowledged the phenomenon in a post announcing that it will be scraping Reddit posts to train its AI. And so, naturally, there are now services that will poison Reddit threads with AI-generated posts designed to promote products.

A service called ReplyGuy advertises itself as “the AI that plugs your product on Reddit” and which automatically “mentions your product in conversations naturally.” Examples on the site show two different Redditors being controlled by AI posting plugs for a text-to-voice product called “AnySpeech” and a bot writing a long comment about a debt consolidation program called Debt Freedom Now.

A video demo shows a dashboard where a user adds the name of their company and URL they want to direct users to. It then auto-suggests keywords that “help the bot know what types of subreddits and tweets to look for and when to respond.” Moments later, the dashboard shows how Reply Guy is “already in the responses” of the comments section of different Reddit posts. “Many of our responses will get lots of upvotes and will be well-liked.”

The creator of the company, Alexander Belogubov, has also posted screenshots of other bot-controlled accounts responding all over Reddit. Begolubov has another startup called “Stealth Marketing” that also seeks to manipulate the platform by promising to “turn Reddit into a steady stream of customers for your startup.” Belogubov did not respond to requests for comment.

Redditors as a group have always been highly suspicious of astroturfing (the practice of artificially boosting products in an online community), bots that don’t label themselves as bots, vote manipulation, and “karma farming.” Reddit’s reliance on community upvotes and volunteer moderators who generally know their communities means that the site has felt less vulnerable to the sorts of AI spam that have taken over other social media platforms.

Most of the Reddit accounts that Belogubov has shown as examples on his social media and on ReplyGuy’s website have been banned by Reddit. An FAQ on the site says “we send the replies from our pool of high quality Twitter and Reddit accounts. You may optionally connect your own account if you’d like the replies to come from a brand page … think of [ReplyGuy] as more of an investment—a Reddit post will be around for a long time for future internet users to stumble upon.”

The existence of ReplyGuy doesn’t necessarily mean that Reddit is going to suddenly become a hellscape full of AI-generated content. But it does highlight the fact that companies are trying to game the platform with the express purpose of ranking high on Google and are using AI and account buying to do it. There are entire communities on Reddit dedicated to identifying and shaming spammy accounts (r/thisfuckingaccount, for example), there has been pushback against people using ChatGPT to generate fake stories for personal advice communities like r/aitah (Am I the rear end in a top hat), and Redditors themselves have found that posts on Reddit are able to rank highly on Google within minutes of being published. I have noticed low-effort posts promoting products when I end up on Reddit from a Google search. This has led to a market for “parasite SEO,” where people try to attach their website or product to a page that already ranks high on Google. “Buy aged Reddit accounts with HIGH karma for Parasite SEO,” according to a video made by YouTuber SEO Jesus.

“How do we actually manipulate Reddit? How do we use it to make money and generate leads? Well the answer is we basically find pages that are already ranking, and then we want to comment underneath,” he says. “The rankings are driven by individual upvotes. Upvotes are quite easy to manipulate.” He then explains that to make a comment with affiliate links that are “obviously commercial” without it being taken down is to buy “an aged Reddit account with a lot of trust.”

Was introduced to the world via a "Show HN" thread, naturally https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38795506

The site itself: https://replyguy.com/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I always thought that whole "just add Reddit" to you google search thing was the owners astroturfing to get the site traffic up ahead of their IPO, since I only started seeing people really say that since last year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

post hole digger posted:

From 404 Media this morning (no link because it was an email newsletter that didn't seem to link anywhere)

Was introduced to the world via a "Show HN" thread, naturally https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38795506

The site itself: https://replyguy.com/

hangin's too good for 'em

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's probably a bit of that too but there was a large organic component. it's in most autocompletes now

last year was also when content-free SEO sludge suddenly started getting a lot worse for some mysterious reason

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
There's essentially no discussion threads any more outside of Reddit and a few niche communities :ironicat:, the majority of which are car discussion boards.

Speaking of which. Who the hell is running those car forums? They are way too similar and organized to be randos. Is it some stealth thing by the manufacturers themselves?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

There's essentially no discussion threads any more outside of Reddit and a few niche communities :ironicat:, the majority of which are car discussion boards.

Speaking of which. Who the hell is running those car forums? They are way too similar and organized to be randos. Is it some stealth thing by the manufacturers themselves?

are you referring to them all looking like generic vbulletin instances?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

excuse me why the gently caress the settings program for my Logitech mouse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao.

this poo poo has definitely jumped the shark

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

TerminalRaptor posted:

Uh, no. They are generally run by enthusiasts of the cars being discussed.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

excuse me why the gently caress the settings program for my Logitech mouse

hahahaha jfc. shut it down. poo poo it all down. holy lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Google Gemini AI is not more intelligent than bodybuilding.com forums: