Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Loved the sports summary posts.

Pick'em

champs retain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Champs Retain.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
champs retain

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pick 'em: NO SLEEP TIL WEEK 26!

Canadian Championship
Hartford Whalers

Hardcore and Larkin-Downing Championships
Glastonbury Knights

Grand Slam Championships
Chicago Southpaws (c)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CFBalla posted:

This seems a little vindictive, in my opinion. :( How many sims did this take??
I think if Smasher played with sims it'd tend more toward "rocks fall, everyone dies" than "the guy with no chance of losing his divisional lead is mildly inconvenienced for a month". It'd also tend more toward fairgame's team being burned alive.

CVE posted:

Loved the sports summary posts.

Yeah me too. I didn't realize that GB fans had that kind of attitude toward Favre. I guess he really really burned some bridges during his last few years in town and subsequent Minnesota silliness.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Champs retain

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Champs? Champs. They retain.

Write-ups are always good, especially summaries which don't go "your mega-pitcher sucked again, sorry".

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Milt Thompson posted:

Champs? Champs. They retain.

Write-ups are always good, especially summaries which don't go "your mega-pitcher sucked again, sorry".

"Your mega-pitcher is now experiencing the approximate level of success the other EC winner prizes have had over the past 5 seasons."

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
A fair point. Half of my team seem to be having sub-standard seasons, so I shouldn't be too shocked that New Hoss is among them.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Though it is pretty loving funny that cbx's Old Hoss is doing better than New Hoss. Luddites were right!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Champs retain

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Whatever, first team, let's go for a GImmick

Team Name: The Pope's Chosen

Team Logo (150x150 preferred):

Home City: THE VATICAN OF BASEBALL (New York)

Home Stadium:
SHEA STADIUM, THE TRUE PAHK OF THE METS HERE ON WFAN

DH Preference: DH

30-Man Roster:

C – Mike Piazza (’98 Mets)
1B – Keith Hernandez (’86 Mets)
2B – Wally Backman (86 Mets)
SS – Ray Ordonez (’98 Mets)
3B – David Wright (2015 Mets)
LF – Ricky Henderson (’82 Athletics)
CF – Lenny Dykstra (’86 Mets)
RF – Darryl Strawberry (’86 Mets)
DH – John Olerud (’98 Mets)
BENCH Gary Carter ('86 Mets, C)
BENCH Lee Mazilli (’86 mets, Utility)
BENCH Yoenis Cespedes (2015 Mets, OF)
BENCH Brian McRae (’98 Mets, OF)
BENCH Carlos Baerga (’98 Mets, 2B)
SP1 - Dwight Gooden (’86 Mets)
SP2 – Matt Harvey (2015 Mets)
SP3 – Al Leiter (’98 Mets)
SP 4 – Jacob DeGrom (2015 Mets)
SP 5. Noah Syndergaard (2015 Mets)
CL – Jeurys Familia (2015 Mets)
SU – John Franco (’98 Mets)
SR – Addison Reed (2015 Mets)
SR – Jesse Orrasco (’86 Mets)
MR – Stephen Matz (2015 Mets)
LR – Bob Ojeda (’86 Mets)

MINORS -
Bartolo Colon (2015 mets, SP)
Sid Fernandez (1986 mets, SP)
Tyler Clippard (2015 mets, RP)
Travis D'Arnaud (2015 Mets, C)
Howard Johnson (1986 mets, OF, 3B, SS)

1. Ricky Henderson
2. John Olerud
3. David Wright
4. Keith Hernandez
5. Mike Piazza
6. Lenny Dykstra
7. Darryl Strawberry
8. Wally Backman
9. Ray Ordonez

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: 1
Sacrifice Bunt: -4
Squeeze Play: -3
Trying for extra bases: 0
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 1
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): 2
Giving Intentional Walks: 1
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 1
Bringing the Infield In: 3
Guarding the Lines: 1
Making Cutoff Throws: 2
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: 1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 3
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -3
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: 5
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 3

Teams:
2015 New York Metropolitans (3)
1998 New York Metropolitans (3)
1986 New York Metropolitans (4)
1982 Oakland Athletics (2)

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 12, 2015

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
pickem
Champs retain

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo I love this, thank you!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sub-Par League V, Week 16: Dark Times For Us All

Games of the Weak

Keith Wuncler CXXXIV posted:

VAULT BOYS, STILL CLINGING TO HOPE, SWEEP SHARDBLADES WITH EXTRA-INNING WIN

The Smoking Ruins of the California Dream -- How about some good, old-fashioned baseball? Both teams, in a differnet world, under different circumstances, might be contenders in their divisions, riveting their fans with a hotly contested race to clinch a playoff berth and avert certain death in the Gauntlet. But these otherwise deserving teams are locked into a perpetual runner-up status, trailing the dominant Highlanders for Alekthar and Hope's Peak Despair for the Vault Boys. It's only mid-season but short of a literal meteor landing on a hypothetical Highlanders/Despair game, it seems as though these two would-be contenders are fighting for scraps.

But never let it be said they didn't go at it with gusto, though as a visiting Gyros League team in the highly irradiated and consequently reality-defying stadium of the Vault Boys the series was practically assured to go to the home team. Nonetheless, this last game did not lack for drama. The prior two games were low scoring affairs, and as if to make up for it in this place where, if comic books have taught me anything about the weak nuclear force, means all the gamma radiation turns players into giant green doubles and triples machines while strangely atrophying their dinger capability.

And so it began: Nolan Ryan filled the bases, then somehow gave up a grand slam to Bill Madlock to give the Shardblades a 4-0 lead in the first inning. Not to be outdone, Chief Bender gave up a series of doubles to let the Vault Boys on the board with four runs. By the time the first inning ended, nearly as many runs were scored as the last two games combined.

The strange mechanics of this space continued to punish the pitchers. Nolan Ryan allowed a triple to Kiner, a man who is not known for speed, good for an RBI. Chief Bender allowed even more doubles, to make it now 5-7 Vault Boys. Between a sac hit from Jackie, and the inability of the Vault Boys infield to use their newfangled "gloves" correctly, the score was tied at 8-8 in the top of the 7th, where it stood for several innings. It seemed as if the bats of both teams became exhausted by overactivity, as hits couldn't seem to be strung together to score runs, and of course the longball was verboten in these parts save for freak miracles.

In the end though, it was the lack of faith in the bullpen that did the Shardblades in. Robin Roberts, relegated to middle relief, was left in for what amounts to a full start, and being perhaps unaccustomed to being used for a whopping 5 innings of pitching, finally slipped in the 11th and gave up two crucial hits that handed the win to the Vault Boys.

Both teams were gracious after the game; in anticipation of their impending deaths in the Gauntlet, they spent the better part of the conference grousing about the unfairness of being trapped in divisions which have been locked down since Opening Day. "Ja, I think it's, what's the word, complete bullshit," said a clearly frustrated CVE. "Baseball is a foreign game to someone as myself, but aside from my 19th century players being utterly incapable of fielding I thought I have a good team. McD, he's a good guy, but gently caress the Despair."

"Hey, you're not the only one," said a dejected johnfw50. "I mean, at least you're from the game's native reality, but over in Alekthar they're already planning for when our players are strung up to be turned into sacrifices for whatever hideous fell rituals that are needed to pass the lease of my stadium to whoever takes it over next." He paused, considering. "drat, I better tell them most of these players get packed off to other teams for the next Dispersal Draft. I'm required to set someone of 'high, noble birth' to the cleansing flames of Dargoth or else I lose my security deposit, and I'm pretty sure Pie Traynor ain't gonna cut it."

Pie Traynor was not made available for questions.

GAME NOTES

- Joe Cronin isn't from the 19th century feeders, but he thought he was aiding in the esprit de corps by screwing it up alongside Brouthers and Hamilton.

- The Vault Boys have the lowest fielding percentage in the entire Sub Par, by far. Congratulations!

- Robin Roberts pitched five excellent innings, allowing only one run, but is saddled with the loss. Chief Bender's Chippewa name should have been "He Who Allows the Bullpen to Suffer for His Own Incompetence."

- Madlock hit a grand slam in a stadium designed to defeat the dinger in the most awful way. That is truly, deeply impressive, and surely his upcoming demise in an attempt to get johnfw50's deposit back would be the capstone to a successful Super League career.

Box Score

The Ultimate Moose posted:

WINNERS FAIL TO WIN, OWNERS DISTRACTED BY PREPARATIONS FOR HURRICANE SMASHER

Twin Peaks - A baseball game happened today between the New York Winners and Twin Peaks Cherry Pies. The Cherry Pies blew a three run lead in the sixth when Joe DiMaggio hit a three run home run, but retook the lead the next half inning and didn't relinquish it. Yu Darvish got the win, striking out 9 in 7 innings of work.

It seemed, however, that nobody was actually paying attention to the game. I only managed to find out who won by looking at the box score. Perhaps, since both the Cherry Pies and Winners are cellar dwellers, there's not much reason to watch the game. It was also possible that since the game took place in Twin Peaks, nobody could actually watch it; the listed attendance was a staggeringly low 732. I looked around for players to ask after the game, but it appeared that they had all left early. Mel Ott, starting at DH for the Winners in one of their rare interleague appearances, went hitless and offered this explanation for his performance and why it was so difficult to find any information about this game:

"We're worried sick; I fear we're all going to be destroyed in a storm of fury and rage. Smasher Dynamo is going to kill all of us when the Cubs lose! Not even Jake Arrieta can save us now!"

As I'm writing this, the Cubs game only just started, but I think we all know what is going to happen. Arrieta is going to blow it, allowing a few runs in the middle innings; the Cubs will attempt a rally but fall short, and the Cardinals will leave tonight with a 2-1 series lead. Jon Lester against the Cardinals is going to go all wrong. Shortly after, the weather forecast calls for fire, explosions, and a gale force winds going against all who dare get in Smasher Dynamo's way.

I found ChampRamp boarding up an office in the bowels of the Twin Peaks stadium shortly after speaking with Mel Ott, and asked his opinion of the game this afternoon:

"What game this afternoon? Oh, right, that one. Yeah, I guess that happened. Darvish was good, he deserved the win; we gotta get our offense going if we want to win games... blah blah blah. Here, hand me that 2x4, I need to block the windows before the Cubs game ends." ChampRamp paused before adding, "half the guys already left the stadium, I guess they want to say goodbye to their families before they're brutally erased. I can't say I blame them. But I don't get that privilege because our plane back to New York isn't leaving until the morning. poo poo, I should get something to defend myself. These staplers aren't going to cut it. You have a gun I can borrow?"

Kouerson, sitting at his desk, offered similar comments, though he appeared not to be talking to me, just talking. "Diane, 11:12PM. I feel that this is the last I will be speaking to you. There is, really, it is a force of nature coming at us here. All things considered, there are worse ways to go, but I cannot get out of my mind the fact that I have not completed what I wanted to do here. Truth be told, there is not a better place to meet your maker."

Kouerson's comments, while rather vague, seem to speak to the same conclusion I have come to: we're all screwed.

GAME NOTES

- Chief Bender walked six batters. That's a lot of batters to walk.

- Barry Bonds went 3-4 today for the Cherry Pies. Hopefully it's a sign of a turn-around for him, as even after that performance he's hitting .173.

- Run for your lives!

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

I expect better from you next week.

Analysis

Proof that batting average isn't everything.

Analysis

I don't even know what happened here anymore. Well, except Chipper Jones playing shortstop.

Analysis

Lance Parrish is back, hooray?

Analysis

Bill Bernhard is not my Cy Young winner.

Analysis

Well, better luck next time.

Analysis

Everything is fine, nothing is ruined.

Analysis

All games this month at home and you only go 7-8? I am not impressed.

Analysis

Your dingerlessness makes me cry.

Analysis

Good.

Analysis

The Year of Pujols is a concern to me.

Analysis

Ted Williams sucks.

Analysis

I can't think of another team that was injured this much but was still in contention.

Analysis

Let's go Taint.

Analysis

A small setback.

Analysis

I wish you luck in the Taco Bell Doritos and Dingers Zone.

Analysis

A much-needed comeback week for The Gay.

Analysis

I wish Barry wasn't cursed, but that's just the way it is.

Analysis

I won't ask gingemidget to start working on your championship banner, because you don't get one.

Analysis

Now with 100% less Tidrow.

Standings

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DH Lineup

1. Craig Biggio
2. Lance Berkman
3. Jeff Bagwell
4. Barry Bonds (LF)
5. Joe Morgan (DH)
6. Chipper Jones
7. Carlos Correa
8. Mike Donlin (CF)
9. Ernie Lombardi

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

ZenVulgarity posted:

Whatever, first team, let's go foah gimmick

Team Name: da pope's chosen

Team Logo (150x150 preferred):

Home City: da vatican of basebawl (new yawk)

Home Stadium: shea stadium, da true pahk of da mets heah awn wfan

DH preference: DH

30-man roster:

C – Mike Piazzar (’98 mets)
1B – Keith Hernandez (’86 mets)
2B – Wally Backman (86 mets)
SS – Ray Ordonez (’98 mets)
3B – David Wright (2015 mets)
LF – Rickey Hendahson (’82 athletics)
CF – Lenny Dykstrar (’86 mets)
RF – Darryl Strawberry (’86 mets)
DH – Jawn Olerud (’98 mets)
Bench Gary Cartah ('86 mets, c)
Bench Lee Mazilli (’86 mets, utility)
Bench Yo Anus Cesspidiss (2015 mets, of)
Bench Brian McRae (’98 mets, of)
Bench Carlos Baerga (’98 mets, 2b)
SP1 - Dwight Gooden (’86 mets)
SP2 – Matt Hawvey (2015 mets)
SP3 – Al Leitah (’98 mets)
SP4 – Jacob deGrom (2015 mets)
SP5 - Noer Sun Da Gawd (2015 mets)
CL – Jeurys Familia (2015 mets)
SU – Jawn Franco (’98 mets)
SR – Addison Reed (2015 mets)
SR – Jesse Orrasco (’86 mets)
MR – Stephen Matz (2015 mets)
LR – Bawb Ojeda (’86 mets)

Minors -
Bartolo Colon (2015 mets, sp)
Sid Fernandez (1986 mets, sp)
Tylah Clippard (2015 mets, rp)
Travis dunno (2015 mets, c)
Howard Johnson (1986 mets, of, 3b, ss)

1. Rickey Hendahson
2. Jawn Olerud
3. David Wright
4. Keith Hernandez
5. Mike Piazzar
6. Lenny Dykstrar
7. Darryl Strawberry
8. Wally Backman
9. Ray Ordonez

Strategy (Rate awn a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: 1
Sacrifice Bunt: -4
Squeeze Play: -3
Tryin' for extrar bases: 0
Stealin' bases: 0
Aggressively taggin' up: 1
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): 2
Givin' intentional walks: 1
Pitchin' around good hitters: 1
Bringin' da infield in: 3
Guardin' da loynes: 1
Makin' cutoff throws: 2
Bringin' in pinch hitters: 2
Bringin' in pinch runners: 1
Bringin' in defensive replacements: 3
Startin' Pitchiz awn short rest: -3
Lettin' Pitchiz pitch throw trouble: 5
Lettin' Pitchiz rack up high pitch counts: 3

Teams:
2015 New Yawk Metropolitans (3)
1998 New Yawk Metropolitans (3)
1986 New Yawk Metropolitans (4)
1982 Oakland Athletics (2)

zenvulgarity hosed around wit dis message at oct 12, 2015 around 18:11

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 13, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Changes:

code:
Grudzielanek gets activated from the DL and put on the bench, replacing Johnny Ray.
Notes From The Acting Assistant Headmistress Monomi's Desk:

: Um... excuse me, I have an announcement to make!

- OK, this is bad. We're suddenly hovering towards .500 on the month, and the Mexicutioners and Vault Boys are surging. Bad. Bad news, very bad news. Is it because of the air conditions? Extended time in the Ultimate Despair Dome causing a performance drop? Oh god, I'm panicing, not good, not good...

- Alright, to calm myself down, let's look at the numbers: Our runs scored outweighed our runs allowed. The games we won this week were largely blowouts, the games we lost this week were largely close. This is fine. Everything is fine. We're still on the right track, just need to keep going. The offensive numbers are fine, the pitching numbers are fine, everything is just A-OK. We'll just call up the Grudz from the DL and bring him back to the bench, then proceed as normal.

- And besides, we all know that singles-hitting, contact-based baseball is the most successful kind! The Southpaws are living proof of that! This clearly shows that our team will reign supreme and that the Mexicutioners will be destined to go the way of the Zombie Llamas!

- Now if you'll excuse me, I think I feel hurricane season incoming. Promotional home events have been cancelled until further notice, as we may or may not be in line for some debris due to our association with the Space Fish, or to be precise, their association with the Cardinals. Best hope the Alter Egos do not go the way of the Burnt Doritos.

Well, that's it for this week! Until next week, remember to keep those spirits up and those thoughts positive!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Swap Henneman and Heaton. I meant to do that a long time ago, I think.

How is this draft still going on? Petitioning the draft commission to allow me to draft for everyone in front of me to get this thing moving. There are more important things for people to focus on, like the 2nd half of the season and the EC.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

quote:

As I'm writing this, the Cubs game only just started, but I think we all know what is going to happen. Arrieta is going to blow it, allowing a few runs in the middle innings; the Cubs will attempt a rally but fall short, and the Cardinals will leave tonight with a 2-1 series lead.

You were almost right. But in the end the forces of good won the day.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

:lol:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You were almost right. But in the end the forces of good won the day.
Well yeah, but Smasher's fury would have landed precisely on he who brought attention on the game's outcome. Never talk about the Cubs or the Packers and you will live healthful lives free of a raging Chicago sport fan's anger. In the end, is a writing gag worth the trauma?
if that meant people read my crap i'd probably invoke it every chance

Incidentally, everyone retains.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Pick 'em: SLEEP TIL I FINISH THIS CALCULATION DRAFT!

Canadian Championship
Hartford Whalers @ RCMP (c)

Glastonbury Knights @ Detroit Wolverines (c)

Grand Slam Championships
Chicago Southpaws (c) @ New World Symphony

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

kw0134 posted:

Well yeah, but Smasher's fury would have landed precisely on he who brought attention on the game's outcome. Never talk about the Cubs or the Packers and you will live healthful lives free of a raging Chicago sport fan's anger. In the end, is a writing gag worth the trauma?

I'm a Boston sports fan; the fury of other sports fans has become par for the course. I try not to notice it anymore.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Champs retain, btw.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Smasher Dynamo, in 2013 posted:

25 Amazing, but True, Facts about the St. Louis Cardinals
25. In 2015, Kris Bryant hit a home run so massive that it destroyed the collective will of the Cardinals, forcing the team to disband forever. This is definitely going to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNUfN4fSyJg

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
smasher dynamo is our prophet :worship:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, gently caress this, this team needs some new lifeblood.

Hope's Peak Academy may be looking for you!

I need a bat that hits for average. Pretty much any position would do, since I can just stick them at DH. Essentially, what I'm looking for is an Ed Delahanty or Dan Brouthers type guy, walks optional but appreciated, speed optional but appreciated. I have strikeout pitching, contact hitting and utility fielders available. Hit me up via IRC or PM if you're interested. Sub-Par League owners only, since I want the player now and not at the end of the season.

In particular, I'd like to talk to CVE about trading, since the Vault Boys most closely fit the profile of player I want. So CVE, if you read this, jump on to IRC when you can and hopefully I'll be there.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 13, 2015

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Smasher, what are your feelings on Go Cubs Go? I don't think we've (meaning you and me) ever discussed this in IRC.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Pick 'em: Being in first place was fun while it lasted I suppose

Canadian Championship
Hartford Whalers @ RCMP (c)

Glastonbury Knights @ Detroit Wolverines (c)

Grand Slam Championships
Chicago Southpaws (c) @ New World Symphony

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Pick'em
Knights sweep, rest retain

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'd just like to pipe in and state that I really, really like the Super League and it is extremely nice having something that I can enjoy at work while working 10 to 12 hour days doing incredibly frustrating bullshit involving the state of California (may it fall into the goddamn ocean).

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Zodiac5000 posted:

I'd just like to pipe in and state that I really, really like the Super League and it is extremely nice having something that I can enjoy at work while working 10 to 12 hour days doing incredibly frustrating bullshit involving the state of California (may it fall into the goddamn ocean).

Zodiac hates California with a fiery passion. Its probably the thing he hates most.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The SuperLeague is extremely Good

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It's a magical place.

I look forward to having a lot of free time sometime in the who-knows-when so I can resume writing things for my own edification about subpar teams that will undoubtedly die.

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. That's almost on par with Mike Blowers predicting Matt Tuiasosopo's first homer.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Bring up Willie and Manny for Carter and Babe Herman.

vs RHP, no DH
2B Eddie Collins
LF Babe Ruth
C Mike Piazza
1B Frank Thomas
RF Enos Slaughter
CF Elmer Flick
3B Ron Santo
SS Ernie Banks
P

vs LHP, no DH
2B Eddie Collins
LF Harmon Killebrew
RF Vladimir Guerrero
1B Frank Thomas
C Mike Piazza
CF Elmer Flick
SS Ernie Banks
3B Ron Santo
P

Pitching
Swap Eddie and Young Roy, ensure that Young Roy is next starter.

CL Lee Smith
SU Joba Chamberlain
SR Mariano Rivera

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Monathin got skipped, rabidsquid is up

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Link the Draft Sheet if you're going to pickshame someone into checking the thread, ya jerks! :argh:

Anyway Triple-H selects '77 Carlton Fisk. For the sake of doing something this week, stick him on the bench, send down Phelps, and make him Slim's personal catcher.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Still some good players left. That 85 Puckett is a solid defensive CF with some pop. Looks like his stock fell after a disastrous season with the Murphs. Plenty of Luis Tiant left to go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XVII, Week 17: So it is ordered

code:

IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE SUPER-LEAGUE
					CHANCERY DIVISION

MORNACALE, DOOP, both individually    )
and derivatively on behalf of         )
SUPER-LEAGUE, LLC, an Illinois        )
Corporation                           )    16 CH 10771
                                      )
     Plaintiffs,                      )
                                      )
v.                                    )
				      )
SMASHER DYNAMO                        )
                                      )
     Defendant.                       )
ORDER

THIS MATTER having come before the Court on Plaintiffs' Motion for a Preliminary Injunction. Having considered both Plaintiffs' motion and its accompanying memorandum of law, as well as Defendant's 10-minute tirade of invectives, the Court rules that Plaintiffs have shown all necessary elements to be entitled to injunctive relief at this stage of litigation for the reasons elaborated on below:

INTRODUCTION

The facts of this case are relatively straightforward. At some time in 2011, the Defendant, a deranged psychopath, first started the Super-League for unclear reasons that are irrelevant to the current matter. Since that time, he has ruled over the Super-League like an arrogant tyrant, imposing his will on the hapless owners below. The depths of his villainy are only partially understood at the moment, and will no doubt be brought to light over the course of discovery, but, at the moment, it is enough to say that he is a bad man who should be punished, and were this a criminal action, locked in prison for many a year.

The inciting facts of this current action are that Smasher Dynamo, with malice aforethought and depraved heart, legal terms typically used for murder, though they apply to these actions as well, created an update that involved him, instead of spending the space talking of the games of the week, instead discusses his team's struggles in the playoffs. DOOP and Mornacale, who will now doubt go down as heroes for showing the courage to file this suit, have claimed that this dereliction of duty on the part of Defendant shows a breach of his fiduciary duty of care to the Super-League, and have, to ensure that Defendant does no further harm pending the resolution of this matter, asked this Court to enjoin Smasher Dynamo from posting any non-Super-League writing in the thread.

LEGAL STANDARD

In order for a preliminary injunction to be properly granted, this Court uses the traditional four element test first promulgated in ages past, when the first proto-lawyers rose from the forests primeval and first sought the guidance of tribunals. These elements, of course, are whether 1) there is a likelihood of irreparable harm with no adequate remedy at law; 2) the balance of harm favors the movant; 3) there is a likelihood of success on the merits of the case; and 4) the public interest favors the granting of the injunction. If the Plaintiffs should be able to show these four factors, then they will be given a preliminary injunction.

ANALYSIS

As a first matter, the Court must consider whether or not there will irreparable harm if this injunction is not granted, and, if there is, whether or not that injury can be remedied at law.

It is clear that damage will be done if this Court does not step in and stop Smasher Dynamo from writing about whatever he pleases. People come into this thread with a certain amount of expectations regarding what they will receive by following along. Regardless of what Smasher Dynamo may think, he does not have the right to run the Super-League however he sees fit. The Super-League is bound together by rules and precedent, and to flout these rules and precedent would be to mock that institution. This Court is not of the opinion that just because Smasher Dynamo created the Super-League gives him license to do with it as he wishes. If a man writes a book, does that mean that he has the right to take that book and then use it to beat another man to death? Certainly not, not even if he made the book extra-long so that the resulting publication would be heavier, and thus have more damaging to use as a bludgeon. The man who invented the flamethrower did not have the right to run down the streets of Paris immolating anyone foolish to get in his path. That he did that was the result of other, political calculations that were entirely separate from the fact that he was the man who invented the device.

No, though the Defendant may have created the Super-League, he still has responsibilities that stem from that creation. Keep in mind, he was the one who first created the concept of the Game of the Week, and it was his decision to include them in every update, creating an expectation that they would continue to exist. When a person clicks on the Super-League thread, he has expectations, and those expectations are that he will be able to read about the daring exploits of the teams of the Super-League, with his own team featured from time to time if possible.

For an example of how Smasher Dynamo's selfishness and intransigence has done, and will presumably continue to do irreparable harm, one need look no further than the Super-League XVII, Week 17 update. This update should not have been consumed in litigation. Plaintiffs, as a service to the Court, have supplied this Court with the proposed games of the week, and it is plain to see what has been lost.

The first game of the week, the box score of which is attached to this order as Exhibit A, was to feature the Hartford Whalers defeating the RCMP in Canada, winning the Canadian titles for the second time. That would not doubt have been an interesting story, with the RCMP once again losing the championship they held most dear to a team whose owner may or may not even exist in any convenetional meaning of the word. Further, the game went to extra innings, producing even more drama.

The second game of the week, the box score of which is attached to this order as Exhibit B, was to be an 11-10 Doom win over the Commission. As the season has evolved, it seems more and more likely that both of the two team will reach the postseason, and that being the case, a tight, tense game between two playoff contenders would likely have thrilled and entertained the reader, especially given the rich assortment of characters on each side of the game. No doubt that the antics of Slug Lyfe would have been amusing.

The third game of the week, the box score of which is attached to this order as Exhibit C, is another game between the Porthcawl (formerly Walney) Rakers and the South Bolton Eazy W's. It is something of an open question as to whether or not Defendant should still be featured these teams. Plaintiff Mornacale, as part of his memorandum of law in support of this motion, that "no one cares about these old teams, and that Smasher Dynamo should focus more on the roster construction of teams, as everyone knows that the most exciting part of the Super-League is the construction and maintenance of rosters, and any prose that distracts from said numbers is not only superfluous, but actively distracting." While the Court has a great deal of sympathy for points raised by Plaintiff Mornacale, the time has not yet come to consider the content of the Games of the Week. This ruling is mainly concerned with ensuring that the Games of the Week format is not improperly abused by Defendant. To that end, it is enough to say that Defendant owed the thread such a game of the week.

The fourth and final game of the week, the box score of which is attached to this order as Exhibit D, is a game where the Rockford Losers, despite being little more than a zombie team in the process of winding up its affairs, took control of first place in the Vae Victis Division over the Jersey City Jobbers. The Court cannot help but note that there are precious few occasions where a zombie team of that nature should find itself in first place this late in the season, but must admit that when the team that is being overtaken is none other than the Jobbers, that such oddities are, perhaps, to be expected. At the very least, since neither the Plaintiffs nor the Defendant seems to have any objections to this turn of events. The Court recalls that Defendant commented that, "Jobbers gotta job, your honor, them's the breaks." The Court, for once, must agree with Defendant's assessment of the situation.

In sum, these are four games that, but for the continued malfeasance of Defendant, would have gotten proper treatment as games of the week. These, of course, are harms that have already occurred, and are technically not, by themselves, to be considered in determining whether a preliminary injunction is warranted, as such a remedy is a prospective remedy, designed to prevent future harms, not those that have already occurred. The reality, however, is that these four games will be joined by many other future games of the week in not being properly recapped by Defendant should the Court take no action. Therefore, the Court concludes that Plaintiffs have shown that an irreparable harm will result if no injunction is issued.

The second element to consider is whether or not the balance of harm favors the movant, in this case, the Plaintiffs. Unlike the first element, this element is a bit more difficult to consider. The Plaintiffs remind the Court, and their point is well-taken, that they do not only represent themselves, but also, through the wonders of derivative litigation, represent the Super-League itself. They then point out that there are many, perhaps as many as seven, people who read the Super-League, expected certain standards to be met, standards that, based on Defendants' conduct, will not be met but for this injunction. The Court tends to agree with that assessment. As was explained in the case of Khan vs. Kirk, NCC S.T.2d 1701, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." That Defendant may suffer without end as the result of the this injunction is not as important as Plaintiffs being mildly entertained. Perhaps that is a cruel calculus, but it is the test the Court must use.

Was it not Jeremy Bentham who once said that once technology advanced, that mankind must make the tough decision, and begin to use poor orphans as involuntary organ donors, knowing that each orphan could supply enough organs to save multiple, more valuable people? It is well-known that Bentham's greatest regret in life was that he did not live long enough to see his utilitarian God Panels created to facilitate the organ transfer process. In any event, would that this Court order that Defendant's kidney be ripped from his body and given to better, more ingratiating members of society. Sadly, the Court has no just cause for such a remedy.

Defendant argues that as the one who is forced to write the Games of the Week, for no pay and using his own time, that he should be granted leeway to write about whatever he might choose. The Court finds such a cavalier disregard for ther readers of the Super-League to be shocking and sickening. Smasher Dynamo does not have the right to do as he pleases in the Super-League. He has never had that right, he shall never had that right. He seems to think it a harm to himself that his so-called creative impulses might be reined in by judicial fiat. Frankly, the Court believes that this judicial fiat is the only thing that will keep this Super-League together. In any event, the balance of harms clearly favors the Plaintiffs.

The third element questions the likelihood of success on the merits of the case. Unsurprisingly, Defendant, left with no moral or legal justifications for his many, many illegal acts, attempts to rely on technical defects to sink Plaintiffs' case.

As a first matter, he questions whether or not he owed any sort of fiduciary duty to the Plaintiffs. He contends that this duty was not created by any extant statute, and therefore must be a duty created by the common law, and goes on to say that there is no common law duty for the runner of the Super-League to show a duty of care to the owners and readers of his Super-League. The Court sees things differently. Defendant has installed himself as a petty dictator who has a startling amount of discretion in deciding who lives and who dies. One need only consider the continuing and unwarranted survival of the Kobe Crows for evidence to that end. A man in that position must owe some duty to those who put their teams in his hands. This Court will not allow Defendaht to have that much power without the attendant responsibility to use that power with due care.

Defendant also argues that Plaintiffs have no standing to bring the instant suit. In terms of the individual suits, Defendant notes that neither Mornacale, nor DOOP, are owners in the Super-League, and therefore have not been damaged. It is true that neither Mornacale nor DOOP are currently in the Super-League, but as aspiring Super-League owners, they clearly have a cognizable interest in ensuring that if and when their teams should advance to the Super-League, that the league has not been destroyed by the unrestrained selfishness and evil of Defendant. Moreoever, as readers of the Super-League, the Court also believes that Defendant has some duty to them in that capacity.

Defendant then argues that Plaintiffs certainly have no right to sustain a derivative action on behalf of the Super-League. Under the law, a derivative lawsuit is intended to protect shareholders from the actions of an out-of-control board of directors, and, as a legal device, allows some shareholders to effective sue on behalf of the company they hold shares in. According to Defendant, Plaintiffs are not shareholders and, in fact, Defendant is the sole shareholder. In oral arguments, the Court asked Defendant if that meant that he was not just using the Super-League as an alter ego in a questionably legal attempt to shield himself from liability, and that even if he were correct in his reading of the law, then what would stop Plaintiffs from suing the Super-League as an entity and then piercing the corporate veil. Defendant responded to this question by brandishing a knife and declaring his intention, to "cut a lot of loving veils if you don't shut the gently caress up!"

Defendant finally complains that even if Plaintiffs were entitled to mount a derivative action, that they did not properly present a demand on the board prior to the filing of the suit, as is required under the law. That requirement, of coure, is excused when making such a demand would be futile. If this case has taught this Court anything, it is that attempting to force Defendant to do the right thing is a fool's errand. The Court has little doubt that even if demand were made, that Defendant would have ignored it. Defendant is not a reasonable man, and should not be granted any extra leeway by this Court.

Defendant next contends that Plaintiffs have failed to state a cognizable claim, because in order to prove their claim for fiduciary duty, upon wich this request for an injunction is premised, that they must show that Defendant's conduct has damaged them, and that as frustrating as Plaintiffs may find Defendant's conduct, that it has not actually resulted in actual damages. This Court disagrees, noting that the loss of enjoyment that Plaintiffs would have gotten from reading properly written Games of the Week is something that can properly be described as an injury under the law, and that does not even consider the further damage that was likely inflicted as a result of the actual content of the update as written. One can only imagine what Mornacale and DOOP thought when reading about the failures of Defendant's sports teams. No doubt it hurt them to see the Defendant writing about such things without considering the plight of Pennsylvania sports teams. What of the Pittsburgh Pirates and their long dance with mediocrity? And what of Sidney Crosby's brain, reduced to so much jelly after one too many checks? What of the Philadelphia 76ers, a team designed only for losing? And what of the Philadelphia Eagles, whose fan base has suffered so much, through the villainy of Terrell Owens, the slothful indifference of Andy Reid, the measured ineptitude of Donovan McNabb, and the unproductive racism of Chip Kelly?

It is improper to suggest that mental anguish does not constitute an injury. After all, by that logic, the well-known tort of intentional infliction of emotional distress would have never come into being. The damage that Defendant did was not easily seen, but it should not escape correction just because of the insidious nature of the damage. Instead, this Court finds all the more reason to act in such a circumstance. For that reason, the Court finds that the Plaintiffs are likely to succeed on the merits of their case.

The final, and traditionally least important, element is to consider the public policy ramifications of granting such an injunction. It is clear that the public interest is that Defendant be beaten to death in a ditch with a lead pipe, or some other manner of bludgening instrument. Alas, such remedy is not within the Court's power to authorize at this time, though it would not discourage the public from taking the law into its own hands. As it stands, the best the Court can do is enjoin Defendant. As a result, this Court finds that the public interest is furthered through the issuance of the injunction.

As Plaintiffs' request for injunctive relief has met all of the necessary elements, the Court sees fit to issue a preliminary injunction. Accordingly, the Court GRANTS Plaintiffs' Motion as follows:

1. The Court hereby preliminarily RESTRAINS AND ENJOINS Defendant, its agents, servants, employees, attorneys, and all others in active concert or participation with Defendant, from writing any further Games of the Week that are not primarily concerned with Super-League baseball, and the content of the game being written about.

2. The Court hereby preliminarily ENJOINS Defendant, its agents, servants, employees, attorneys, and all others in active concert or participation with Defendant, to take corrective action as necessary to repair any damage as possible.

3. This Preliminary Injunction shall take effect immediately and shall remain in effect pending trial in this action or further order of this Court.

4. Bond is waived because this Court does not like Defendant at all.

Dated this 17th Week of Super-League XVII.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Exhibit D

Team Statistics

Analysis

This team might survive depending on who I give the extra space created by the Cultists to. If CSKA has the best record of any last place team, I'd probably let them live. But since the Crows can't die, that would mean they'd have to do better than the Dragons as well.

Analysis

Never could beat the Symphony on the road.

Analysis

As predicted by everyone, Hardy Richardson has saved the day!

Analysis

I'm not sure that there's anything wrong with this team other than bad luck.

Analysis

This team has stabilized. I think that, but for the terrible start, this team would be leading its division.

Analysis

CHAMPIONS!

Analysis

Okay, this team is finally in a position to move up to third. It can't let this chance go by, because the Dinos are running out of time.

Analysis

YOU ARE LOSING TO A DEAD TEAM! HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!

Analysis

The Doom are on cruise control to another division crown.

Analysis

It's hard to root for this team, because they just won't stop breaking your heart.

Analysis

I think another round of re-tooling could make this team into a wildcard contender.

Analysis

Into third place! Hooray! But you need to reach second place to avoid dying.

Analysis

Neat.

Analysis

Yes, CFBalla, and now justice will-

This team went 5-1? THAT'S NOT HOW THE PLAN WAS SUPPOSED TO WORK!

Analysis

This team may have a DNR on it.

Analysis

Listen, you want home-field advantage in the wildcard game? Then you've got to beat up the Commission next week.

Analysis

GOOD ENOUGH!

Analysis

Lost your title but made it into first place. Was it worth it?

Analysis

The dead will have their say.

Analysis

Not great!

Analysis

Well, this team is going to be hard pressed to have another week that bad.

Analysis

Monicro, are you going to let your animen be beaten by Dinos? ARE YOU?

Analysis

This team has the best run differential in the division, and that should be enough given enough time. Of course, with nine weeks left, who knows if there's enough time.

Analysis

The offense is 80% dingers by volume, so that's fun at least.

Standings