Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm matching donations to the CCLA, up to $5K, in the next 24 hours. Some preventative medicine, perhaps. PM me a receipt to be counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

I'm matching donations to the CCLA, up to $5K, in the next 24 hours. Some preventative medicine, perhaps. PM me a receipt to be counted.

Gave $50.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You're very attractive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In for $20/month.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

In for $20/month.

I'm counting monthlies as 12x. Thank you!

RubeTube
Jun 18, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

That is very generous. I don't have PMs, but hopefully this will suit: https://postimg.org/image/wq25tjb1b/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RubeTube posted:

That is very generous. I don't have PMs, but hopefully this will suit: https://postimg.org/image/wq25tjb1b/

Counted, thank you!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

THC isn't that climate scientist Andrew Weaver, the guy you were just saying sucked?

He still sucks but the Post is worse obviously. There are degrees of sucking.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CanPol Megathread: Degrees of Sucking

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-far-right-la-meute-1.3876225

Well gently caress. Shows that I've been sticking away from Qc politics for too long when I hadn't even heard of this yet.
Quebec might need antifas sooner than expected once again. There's a pretty healthy leftist coalition in the cities, but not so much in the more rural places where these groups seem to be gathering.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-leitch-politics-fear-1.3959265

Michael Chong calls a spade a spade. Nice to see one of the Conservative candidates calling Leitch out on her rhetoric.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Daynab posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-far-right-la-meute-1.3876225

Well gently caress. Shows that I've been sticking away from Qc politics for too long when I hadn't even heard of this yet.
Quebec might need antifas sooner than expected once again. There's a pretty healthy leftist coalition in the cities, but not so much in the more rural places where these groups seem to be gathering.

Counterpoint: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/la-meute-the-illusions-and-delusions-of-quebecs-largest-right-wing-group

Not that it isn't cause for concern, but it may be being played up a bit by the CBC.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

infernal machines posted:

Counterpoint: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/la-meute-the-illusions-and-delusions-of-quebecs-largest-right-wing-group

Not that it isn't cause for concern, but it may be being played up a bit by the CBC.

CBC loving loves to jump on Quebec with both feet on issues that English Canada is also struggling with, it plays really well and it's a nice way for the rest of Canada to assure themselves they are not like those nasty uncivilized Quebecois while they vote for Stephen Harper.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xaranthius posted:

Michael Chong calls a spade a spade. Nice to see one of the Conservative candidates calling Leitch out on her rhetoric.

Chong seems like a good guy, shame he won't win.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Playing the decency card in the race for head of the conservative party seems like a dubious strategy but more power to him for trying.

Meanwhile, the President of our neighbour to the south just fired the acting Attorney General. Interesting times we're living in.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
i actually accidentally went to a La Muete recruitment drive thing at a church in Montreal last summer. I left pretty quickly (not white) but it seemed mostly business professional dudes and they were quite well organized for knuckledraggers my biggest takeaway was that they did not seem to be hurting for money. It wasn't immediately apparent what i had shown up for.

edit: as it was a recruitment drive i'm sure they were trying to put their best foot forward

lowly abject turd fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 31, 2017

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Good to know if it's overblown, I was mostly worried about their claim of 45k members which did seem super high.

lowly abject turd posted:

i actually accidentally went to a La Muete recruitment drive thing at a church in Montreal last summer. I left pretty quickly (not white) but it seemed mostly business professional dudes and they were quite well organized for knuckledraggers my biggest takeaway was that they did not seem to be hurting for money. It wasn't immediately apparent what i had shown up for.

edit: as it was a recruitment drive i'm sure they were trying to put their best foot forward

Just curious but what was advertised by them, if you accidentally ended up there?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
All the papers here in NB are owned by Irving and I can't wait for its current readership to die off.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Chong seems like a good guy, shame he won't win.

Anyone can join the Conservative party and cast their vote for him (or against Leitch).

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Xaranthius posted:

It's an important point he makes and why I never liked the term 'lone wolf'. There's an entire infrastructure of hate that builds these murderers, who then hide behind vaccuous notions of 'free speech' when called on it.

I wish I was capable of coming up with a better solution than 'some muthafucks just need to get hit'.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
At least we live in a country that doesn't make any pretense of having absolute freedom of speech.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jfood posted:

It's an important point he makes and why I never liked the term 'lone wolf'. There's an entire infrastructure of hate that builds these murderers, who then hide behind vaccuous notions of 'free speech' when called on it.

"This mosque attack is no accident: It's a direct result of demagogues and wannabe demagogues playing to fears and prejudices"

Enh, I don't think Chong or you are correct. One data point is pretty slim to say that something is the direct result of something else and it's natural for everyone to be looking for a cause and solution in the wake of such a tragedy. A little disappointed in Chong for being so aggressively political with it before the bodies are in the ground.

If you are correct and it takes infrastructures of hate to build these mass murdering terrorists, Trump would also probably be correct to block people from countries with a high frequency of terrorism that would indicate a lot of investment in their hate infrastructure.

I don't think you're correct though.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Daynab posted:

Good to know if it's overblown, I was mostly worried about their claim of 45k members which did seem super high.

Just curious but what was advertised by them, if you accidentally ended up there?

They had mentioned the event during a mass i went to. My french isn't fantastic but i thought it was some xtian pick up sports league thing; there were a number of hockey clubs (leagues?) present but the focus was not on sports in the least.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

EvilJoven posted:

At least we live in a country that doesn't make any pretense of having absolute freedom of speech.

Name one that does?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Most citizens of the USA seem to think that they're allowed to say whatever the gently caress they want at all times.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

Most citizens of the USA seem to think that they're allowed to say whatever the gently caress they want at all times.

People think a lot of things.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

EvilJoven posted:

You see this often on the Internet whenever Reddit or whatever bans safe spaces for idiots who want to mock some random group or whatever. Most people don't get that their free speech safe spaces only exist for as long as the private entity cares to have you around or doesn't notice your existence.

If I were Google, I'd go and ban The Rebel from existing on YouTube and I wouldn't be violating their right to free speech by doing that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya I know that even in the US freedom of speech is only a contract between the state and the populace and even that isn't 100% absolute even in that case but ya try to shut down a thread on an Internet site or have a restaurant try to kick someone out for saying gross disparaging things towards other patrons and it's nothing but 'THIS IS 'MURICA YOU CANT DO THAT!'

Of course that starts spilling up here and you start listening to goobers talking about hate speech laws being against the constitution, forgetting what country they're in.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EvilJoven posted:

imo this is our country's deepest flaw and nobody whatsoever of any political stripes to want to address it. shameful.

anyways anyone else thinking the quebec shooting might be another one of these RCMP false flag operations that went left? the kid looks like hes completely gone off the SSRIs

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People think they have a right to be an rear end in a top hat. It's human decency but FREE SPEECH.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I think there's an argument to be made that 4chan and parts of reddit are working just as hard to radicalize as any ISIS twitter account or forum.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They took the guy alive, so I guess we just need to wait for info to come out like with Moncton.

The debate now is whether we should be angry that the Prime Minister called it a terrorist attack right away. In the absence of any clear motive, all we can do is try to make inferences from reports that the guy acted like a shithead on Facebook.

infernal machines posted:

I think there's an argument to be made that 4chan and parts of reddit are working just as hard to radicalize as any ISIS twitter account or forum.

I don't disagree, and I think more people are coming around to this. After all, Pepe is in the SPLC's hate symbol list now.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

imo this is our country's deepest flaw and nobody whatsoever of any political stripes to want to address it. shameful.

What is the current state of free speech doing that leads you to believe that this is our deepest flaw?

Leofish posted:

The debate now is whether we should be angry that the Prime Minister called it a terrorist attack right away. In the absence of any clear motive, all we can do is try to make inferences from reports that the guy acted like a shithead on Facebook.

How long did it take to call the Parliament Hill shooting a terrorist attack? I don't think it matters.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

patonthebach posted:

We need to start prohibiting virgin 20 something guys who go on 4chan and are big losers from purchasing guns in Canada. Talk about fitting a profile, time and time again with these lone wolf loners.

We implement Universal Hooker Care and this problem vanishes.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

Just a reminder to all that this is ongoing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OSI bean dip posted:

Just a reminder to all that this is ongoing.

I'll do BCCLA too.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

OSI bean dip posted:

How long did it take to call the Parliament Hill shooting a terrorist attack? I don't think it matters.

Oh, that was within a couple of hours, but that was a Conservative PM and a soldier was murdered. Later, it turned out the mentally ill homeless drug addict who did it pledged his allegiance to ISIL beforehand.

Old Stock Canadians are upset the Liberal PM inferred that Muslims who were murdered while praying are Canadians and that this is somehow terrorism when a Muslim apparently didn't do it.

News outlets are publishing think pieces asking "Is this terrorism?" when we still don't have a clear motive from the accused himself.

It's also important to note that he hasn't been charged with terrorism offenses yet. I don't know if he will be. Obviously, Trudeau and Couillard calling it terrorism were doing it for political reasons.

My point is that in the info vacuum, this is what's being debated by the people.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Postess with the Mostest posted:

**vapid milquetoast horseshit**

I'm aware of the opinions that a man without a country holds, but thank you for sharing it every day, ad nauseum.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

We implement Universal Hooker Care and this problem vanishes.

At least then we can have something to offer Trump on our visits to his throne. Jars of the sweetest piss from the finest Ottawan hookers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If you are correct and it takes infrastructures of hate to build these mass murdering terrorists, Trump would also probably be correct to block people from countries with a high frequency of terrorism that would indicate a lot of investment in their hate infrastructure.

Hmmm... What country hosts/develops 4chan, reddit, Facebook, Stormfront, Breitbart, etc.?