Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leperflesh posted:

So what I'm inferring here is that 54.3% of lawyers are at least sociopaths, and 39.9% of lawyers are straight-up psychopaths?

I don't know that your numbers are large enough. Sociopaths can suffer from depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/595240841/unable-to-prove-they-own-their-homes-puerto-ricans-denied-fema-help

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I work at a job I hate, and had to sign a non compete agreement when I was hired. A competitor is moving in to town and I'm sure I'd have an easy time getting the job with my experience. Can I just ghost my current employer (or just give them 2 week notice and just say I hate it so much that I'd rather be unemployed)? I'm not friends with any of my co-workers outside of work nor on any social media.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Goons, can I breach a contract without consequences?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mr. Nice! posted:

The non compete may well be non enforceable.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Volmarias posted:

The non compete may well be non enforceable.

If only there was some profession you could consult with who could look at the exact document and give a informed opinion.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know, are you a real stupid idiot?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nice piece of fish posted:

I don't know, are you a real stupid idiot?

Mr Hamm is.

https://www.scribd.com/document/474576603/Hamm-Order-Of-Evisceration

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes lots of times

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What’s the difference between a rooster and a lawyer?

The rooster clucks defiance

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is a thing of beauty.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient_breach

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.justice.gov/usao-cdil/pr/local-waterfowl-outfitter-pleads-guilty-unlawful-guided-hunt

Was curious what “unlawful sale of wildlife” was. Still unclear, but do appreciate that the geese that were killed unlawfully were killed by federal agents.

Speaking of non-compete clauses, that guy is banned from hunting or guiding for 24 months which is a pretty tough one.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Criminal law also has a concept of efficient breach, it’s just harder to calculate the relevant values.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

therobit posted:

Do any of the lawyers here have favorite lawyer jokes?

The criminal justice system.

Good night everyone!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

This was a huge problem in New Orleans after Katrina; FEMA gave no fucks that you’d been living in a house for generations, only that you were the right name on the property roll.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Modern sports cards have redemptions, where the card manufacturer does not have the card signed by a certain player at the time they send the product to packaging. Instead they put a redemption card with a code that you enter online. Then when the player signs the card. They mail it to you.

Sometimes they take years to receive. I know of one person who has been waiting nearly a decade.

Are these redemption cards a legal offer? At what point does selling redemptions that they have no intention of fulfilling considered fraude?

I realize that some will say they are just cards, grow up/ get over it. However some of these redemptions can be worth several thousand dollars. There is currently a $500,000 bounty offered by blowoutcards.com for a 1/1 signed card this year.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 3, 2020

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a story about a woman suing Easyjet for being pressured into moving because Ultra Orthodox men refused to sit next to a woman.

https://igvofficial.com/update-woman-sues-easyjet-for-15000-after-they-made-her-move-seat-because-shes-female/

Her lawyer is going after them because the fact it happened on Israeli tarmac, and the law prohibits discrimination based on sex.

That sounds insane to me, how can an airline be sued for breaching the law in a country it lands in? Is it insane? Could I sue an airline for selling alcohol in a dry county or something? How would something like this even work?

e: For that matter, if the laws of whatever country you're landed in apply, how much do the laws of whatever country the airline is operating out of matter? Can you just ignore them one you clear the airspace?

Do airlines hire lawyers to make sure they don't break law X in country Y so protect themselves from litigation?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 4, 2020

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Famously the plane that carried the embassy escapees home from Iran (depicted in Argo) couldn't serve alcohol until leaving Iranian airspace. There's treaties and agreements, but in general, their airspace, their laws.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Captain von Trapp posted:

Famously the plane that carried the embassy escapees home from Iran (depicted in Argo) couldn't serve alcohol until leaving Iranian airspace. There's treaties and agreements, but in general, their airspace, their laws.
At one point you used to be able to get coca tea on South American flights.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw a story about a woman suing Easyjet for being pressured into moving because Ultra Orthodox men refused to sit next to a woman.

https://igvofficial.com/update-woman-sues-easyjet-for-15000-after-they-made-her-move-seat-because-shes-female/

Her lawyer is going after them because the fact it happened on Israeli tarmac, and the law prohibits discrimination based on sex.

That sounds insane to me, how can an airline be sued for breaching the law in a country it lands in? Is it insane? Could I sue an airline for selling alcohol in a dry county or something? How would something like this even work?

So, it's crazy to you that the law of whatever country you are sitting in applies to you?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

therobit posted:

So, it's crazy to you that the law of whatever country you are sitting in applies to you?

brb, jumping in the air briefly while I gamble so that I am committing no crimes since I am airborne at the time of the supposed "crime"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Would you happen to know what the treaties are called? That sounds sort of interesting.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Kanye clock:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Counting down to someone mentioning ships and what laws apply to them in two... One... Aaaaaaand

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Counting down to someone mentioning ships and what laws apply to them in two... One... Aaaaaaand

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I know this one, it's the fringe they put on the flags!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Are there actually separate courts for admiralty law? Who has jurisdiction if I commit internet piracy on the high seas?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

therobit posted:

Are there actually separate courts for admiralty law? Who has jurisdiction if I commit internet piracy on the high seas?

Federal courts have admiralty jurisdiction.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sleepy.eyes posted:

why do you think you'd be suddenly immune from the laws of the country you're in, because you are on the ground in a vehicle that has the capability to fly? not, like, flying: just on the ground capable of flying?

Devor posted:

brb, jumping in the air briefly while I gamble so that I am committing no crimes since I am airborne at the time of the supposed "crime"

he doesn't even think he needs to be in the air!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

evilweasel posted:

why do you think you'd be suddenly immune from the laws of the country you're in, because you are on the ground in a vehicle that has the capability to fly? not, like, flying: just on the ground capable of flying?

I could see someone thinking that airports, or the insides of airplanes, might be special in a similar way that embassies are special.

I have a random question: has anyone ever tried to argue that the President, as commander in chief, is subject to military justice and can be court-martialed? I would suppose not, since the President is a civilian and also could just fire any officer trying to sit as his judge, but lots of asinine arguments get floated and this one sounds like a fun one.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Federal courts have admiralty jurisdiction.

... saving to suitors in all cases all other remedies to which they are otherwise entitled.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

evilweasel posted:

he doesn't even think he needs to be in the air!

More along the lines of, in the US you have to sue an entity in a place where it has a physical presence (or so I hear, no being a lawyer or someone who keep track of this stuff hell if I know). Does Easyjet count as having a physical presence in a place it lands? I was curious about how suing a foreign company would work across international boundaries. As usual, I didn't get my meaning across very well. I didn't know about the Iranian airspace= no drinks thing on account of me not being a globetrotter. I'm just wondering how all that kinda stuff pans out with different countries.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 4, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I could see someone thinking that airports, or the insides of airplanes, might be special in a similar way that embassies are special.

This is probably confusion around being in an international terminal/pre-customs, which for many countries has a weird status. You're there, but not really.

Ninja edit to address above: EasyJet may or may not have a physical presence. The plane being there doesn't give them one. My company doesn't have a physical presence in some country I'm in just because they sent me there and/or their laptop that was issued to me is there.

But perhaps they do have a legal entity in that country, for gate agents, maintenance, facilities. Or maybe they don't because that's all contracted out and paid for by a business entity in a different country.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 4, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

evilweasel posted:

Look, international boundaries are shown on maps on the ground, right? So if you're flying, you aren't crossing those boundaries, you're going OVER them, therefore you must still be in the country of origin, and thus not bound by the local laws. CHECKMATE, I AM A FREE MAN ON THE WIND

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sleepy.eyes posted:

More along the lines of, in the US you have to sue an entity in a place where it has a physical presence (or so I hear, no being a lawyer or someone who keep attack of this stuff hell if I know). Does Easyjet count as having a physical presence in a place it lands? I was curious about how suing a foreign company would work across international boundaries. As usual, I didn't get my meaning across very well. I didn't know about the Iranian airspace= no drinks thing on account of me not being a globetrotter. I'm just wondering how all that kinda stuff pans out with different countries.

you're mixing up two different concepts

there is no dispute in basically any legal system that, subject to extreme exceptions not relevant here (i.e. diplomatic immunity) that if you are in the territory of a sovereign (i.e. a country or, in the united states, a state) that you are subject to its laws.

where you can sue a business is a much more complex question that does not in fact boil down to mere physical presence or not: you can in some circumstances be sued in the courts of a country or state you have never set foot in

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

evilweasel posted:

you're mixing up two different concepts

there is no dispute in basically any legal system that, subject to extreme exceptions not relevant here (i.e. diplomatic immunity) that if you are in the territory of a sovereign (i.e. a country or, in the united states, a state) that you are subject to its laws.

where you can sue a business is a much more complex question that does not in fact boil down to mere physical presence or not: you can in some circumstances be sued in the courts of a country or state you have never set foot in

That makes sense, thanks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World-Wide_Volkswagen_Corp._v._Woodson

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

sleepy.eyes posted:

More along the lines of, in the US you have to sue an entity in a place where it has a physical presence (or so I hear, no being a lawyer or someone who keep track of this stuff hell if I know). Does Easyjet count as having a physical presence in a place it lands? I was curious about how suing a foreign company would work across international boundaries. As usual, I didn't get my meaning across very well. I didn't know about the Iranian airspace= no drinks thing on account of me not being a globetrotter. I'm just wondering how all that kinda stuff pans out with different countries.

Fundamentally you can sue someone anywhere the sovereign that runs that court system says you can. A judgment might not be useful to you though. Like Lichtenstein could declare that their courts will now allow suits about petty thefts in North Dakota, just no one with power in North Dakota will enforce anything they say.

Actual world sovereigns have complex rules on what they will allow in their courts (and treaties with other sovereigns about enforcement outside their territory). Iran says 'our laws apply to planes in our airspace' and enforce it with what domestic power they have and internationally via treaty.

Extreme real world versions of this are usually around atrocities. Like some states allow prosecutions for things like genocide even if the perpetrators & victims aren't their nationals and the crimes all occurred outside their territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
As in; that country would allow itself to send a bounty hunter to black bag a foreign national who's committed *crime* and drag him back to see justice? Or just say 'we found that guy guilty of crimes against humanity which is illegal here. But we can't actually do anything about it'.