Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The last time I looked at monitors was about 2 years ago when the LG 27GL83A and 27GL850 were recommended for best budget 27" 1440p monitor. Is that still the case? I don't do any color sensitive work so it seems like the 83A would give me more accurate colors?

Background: I have 2x27" 1440p monitors which is the size/resolution/setup that seems to work best for me, though I've never tried a 34" ultrawide at home. I don't use them for WFH because one of them is an old Korean that's DL-DVI only, which the dock for my work laptop doesn't support.

However, I'm considering replacing the Korean monitor to consolidate my personal and work spaces, in part bc it seems silly to have 2x27" for my personal desktop and separate 2x24" for my WFH. The other 27" is a cheap Acer IPS but gets the job done as a second display. The alternative is to find a used 27" 1440p locally for $250 but at that point I feel like I should just get the LG.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Josh Lyman posted:

The last time I looked at monitors was about 2 years ago when the LG 27GL83A and 27GL850 were recommended for best budget 27" 1440p monitor. Is that still the case? I don't do any color sensitive work so it seems like the 83A would give me more accurate colors?

Background: I have 2x27" 1440p monitors which is the size/resolution/setup that seems to work best for me, though I've never tried a 34" ultrawide at home. I don't use them for WFH because one of them is an old Korean that's DL-DVI only, which the dock for my work laptop doesn't support.

However, I'm considering replacing the Korean monitor to consolidate my personal and work spaces, in part bc it seems silly to have 2x27" for my personal desktop and separate 2x24" for my WFH. The other 27" is a cheap Acer IPS but gets the job done as a second display. The alternative is to find a used 27" 1440p locally for $250 but at that point I feel like I should just get the LG.

GL850 and GL83A have some competition these days. The Gigabyte M27Q is cheaper and has better contrast ratio, at the cost of some response speed (edit: M27Q also has a non-standard BGR subpixel array, which can cause text to look blurry, particularly in apps that don't play nice with Windows Clear Type. Some people find this to be an unholy abomination birthed from fiery pits and billowing clouds of brimstone, others don't even notice a difference, YMMV). From LG, there's the newer GP850 and GP83B which have faster response times and a bit of a bump in refresh rate, but cost a bit more. There's also the MSI MAG274QRF-QD, which is pretty much a bit better at everything, just with a somewhat higher price tag (this monitor also now has an SRGB mode with the latest firmware update, which can fix the oversaturation issues that were pointed out by early reviews).

There are also Dell, HP, and Lenovo monitors that use LG panels and IIRC are very close to the GL850 in performance, and may be cheaper depending on region/when you buy - the Dell one is the S2721DGF, I think the others are the HP Omen 27i X27q (thanks Dr. Video Games 0031) and the Lenovo Legion Y27q-20, but someone please feel free to jump in here if I'm misremembering.

Death On Toast fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 18, 2022

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

xgalaxy posted:

/me waiting patiently for a 4k 27" or 32" thunderbolt 100hz+ display that doesn't look like gamer barf .....

Gigabyte M28U?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The M28U is good, but keep in mind its power delivery maxes out at 30W, if you're relying on that.

Death On Toast posted:

GL850 and GL83A have some competition these days. The Gigabyte M27Q is cheaper and has better contrast ratio, at the cost of some response speed. From LG, there's the newer GP850 and GP83B which have faster response times and a bit of a bump in refresh rate, but cost a bit more. There's also the MSI MAG274QRF-QD, which is pretty much a bit better at everything, just with a somewhat higher price tag (this monitor also now has an SRGB mode with the latest firmware update, which can fix the oversaturation issues that were pointed out by early reviews).

There are also Dell, HP, and Lenovo monitors that use LG panels and IIRC are very close to the GL850 in performance, and may be cheaper depending on region/when you buy - the Dell one is the S2721DGF, I think the others are the HP Omen 27i and the Lenovo Legion Y27q-20, but someone please feel free to jump in here if I'm misremembering.

The HP X27q uses that panel. It's a more advanced panel than the GL850's, being somewhere between that and the GP850. I don't know what the Omen 27i uses.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 18, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

xgalaxy posted:

Not sure what you are saying exactly. I see a lot of monitors with daisy chain support and more coming out all the time.
I don't think its as niche as you think it is.

And yes DP 2.0 will make it even more widespread because you'll be able to do greater than 60hz at 4k through that spec.

There's a couple of current gen Dell Ultrasharps that support it I guess? Plus a whole bunch of other commodity office monitors that are all indistinguishable from each other.

MacOS has never supported DisplayPort daisy chaining by the way, and I doubt they'll support it in the future; Thunderbolt originated as an Apple proprietary thing and that's what they're sticking to. Then again they actually added a full size HDMI port to the latest Macbook pros so maybe the times are a-changin'.

e: to clarify, the point here is that it's hard enough to buy a niche thing like 4K high refresh rate in the first place. Getting a single cable connection is a problem that can be solved with a moderately priced peripheral, but you can't get a better panel that way.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 18, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I noticed and documented this before, but as I'm now always at 165Hz, it's become more of an issue. The right side of my M27Q gets blurrier the higher the refresh rate. This isn't because of the BGR layout, because it disappears at 60Hz, and is localized. It's not a connection issue either, because it showed up on my old GPU too, and that used a different DP cable (only had mini DP ports).

I've never noticed it in game, but it's immediately apparent when I'm using an app with some text on that side (most recently the Playnite launcher). It's really more a cosmetic issue, cause the effect isn't strong enough to affect readability. It looks like a bit of chromatic aberration. But it's annoying nonetheless.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The M28U is good, but keep in mind its power delivery maxes out at 30W, if you're relying on that.

The HP X27q uses that panel. It's a more advanced panel than the GL850's, being somewhere between that and the GP850.

I've been keeping an eye on the price of the HP X27q since I got mine at the end of December for $239 but when I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago it was up at $299. It's been $234 for a few days on amazon which is a pretty good deal for this monitor. Very tempted to pick up a second one.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0949KL83T/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rexxed posted:

I've been keeping an eye on the price of the HP X27q since I got mine at the end of December for $239 but when I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago it was up at $299. It's been $234 for a few days on amazon which is a pretty good deal for this monitor. Very tempted to pick up a second one.

Is there a catch?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TheFluff posted:

There's a couple of current gen Dell Ultrasharps that support it I guess? Plus a whole bunch of other commodity office monitors that are all indistinguishable from each other.

MacOS has never supported DisplayPort daisy chaining by the way, and I doubt they'll support it in the future; Thunderbolt originated as an Apple proprietary thing and that's what they're sticking to. Then again they actually added a full size HDMI port to the latest Macbook pros so maybe the times are a-changin'.

e: to clarify, the point here is that it's hard enough to buy a niche thing like 4K high refresh rate in the first place. Getting a single cable connection is a problem that can be solved with a moderately priced peripheral, but you can't get a better panel that way.

just to nitpick intel and apple codeveloped thunderbolt and it’s been available on (intel) windows pcs since 2012, but it never took off there which is probably why monitor support has been spotty

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rinkles posted:

Is there a catch?

It's not the best monitor in the world, but it's pretty good and that's a good price. It seems like all the 24" monitors have come up in price and all the 27" ones have dropped a bit. I have the HP and the Pixio PX277 Prime and the main differences I've noticed is that the pixio is a little brighter and has more ports (one DP two HDMI), plus an external power brick. The HP has an internal power supply (so you plug the IEC cable into it directly) and just one HDMI and DP port. Colors are supposed to be better on the HP and its refresh is better in reviews as well, while the Pixio is brighter.

They're both nearly the same size around the bezels, but the HP has less gamer styling on the back and a better stand in my opinion, but I use them both on VESA mounts.

In some ways I prefer the external power brick since it's easier to change out if there are problems later, but I'm already doing surgery replacing a backlight on one of my korean monitors so if it comes to that years from now it won't bother me that much. The cord is kind of short to the power brick so that's a bit annoying as well.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
What is the real with DP 2.0? I thought the spec was finalized awhile ago and it's just waiting to be implemented.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What is the real with DP 2.0? I thought the spec was finalized awhile ago and it's just waiting to be implemented.

There was delays in 2020. And the DP 2.0 cable certification specs weren't finished until earlier this month - which I hope is the last thing that is holding up companies.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think this came up in one of the early Chinese reviews, but Heise also brings up colour fringing on QD-OLED due to the weird triangular subpixel layout

https://www.heise.de/hintergrund/Monitor-mit-QD-OLED-im-Test-Samsungs-neue-Display-Technik-ist-verkorkst-6582133.html?hg=1&hgi=0&hgf=false

Notably it's not limited to text where sub-pixel rendering is used, it shows up on any hard black to white transition

Might not be an issue when they crank up the pixel density with 4K panels, but at 1440p it looks pretty noticable

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have a dumb question. I want to hook up my GPU to both my main computer monitor and also to a TV via HDMI. I've got one HDMI port on my GPU, what sort of splitter/switch do I need? I never plan to use both at the same time but it would be cool to sometimes play games on a big TV from the couch vs. my computer. I've never messed with these sort of switches so I don't know if there's a decent one out there that's HDMI 2.1 compatible or if they're all garbage.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Death On Toast posted:

GL850 and GL83A have some competition these days. The Gigabyte M27Q is cheaper and has better contrast ratio, at the cost of some response speed (edit: M27Q also has a non-standard BGR subpixel array, which can cause text to look blurry, particularly in apps that don't play nice with Windows Clear Type. Some people find this to be an unholy abomination birthed from fiery pits and billowing clouds of brimstone, others don't even notice a difference, YMMV). From LG, there's the newer GP850 and GP83B which have faster response times and a bit of a bump in refresh rate, but cost a bit more. There's also the MSI MAG274QRF-QD, which is pretty much a bit better at everything, just with a somewhat higher price tag (this monitor also now has an SRGB mode with the latest firmware update, which can fix the oversaturation issues that were pointed out by early reviews).

There are also Dell, HP, and Lenovo monitors that use LG panels and IIRC are very close to the GL850 in performance, and may be cheaper depending on region/when you buy - the Dell one is the S2721DGF, I think the others are the HP Omen 27i X27q (thanks Dr. Video Games 0031) and the Lenovo Legion Y27q-20, but someone please feel free to jump in here if I'm misremembering.
Thanks for the effort post. I was feeling a bit lost since there are now apparently a bunch of options on the market, until...

Rexxed posted:

Rexxed posted:

It's not the best monitor in the world, but it's pretty good and that's a good price. It seems like all the 24" monitors have come up in price and all the 27" ones have dropped a bit. I have the HP and the Pixio PX277 Prime and the main differences I've noticed is that the pixio is a little brighter and has more ports (one DP two HDMI), plus an external power brick. The HP has an internal power supply (so you plug the IEC cable into it directly) and just one HDMI and DP port. Colors are supposed to be better on the HP and its refresh is better in reviews as well, while the Pixio is brighter.

They're both nearly the same size around the bezels, but the HP has less gamer styling on the back and a better stand in my opinion, but I use them both on VESA mounts.

In some ways I prefer the external power brick since it's easier to change out if there are problems later, but I'm already doing surgery replacing a backlight on one of my korean monitors so if it comes to that years from now it won't bother me that much. The cord is kind of short to the power brick so that's a bit annoying as well.
I basically just need a 27" 1440p monitor with decently accurate colors and VRR. In that case, this seems like a good option, and a no-brainer at $235. The only slightly annoying thing is the button to change inputs is on the back right, so since this would be my primary monitor (positioned on the left), it'll be annoying to reach around when I'm switching from between work laptop and personal desktop.

I'm tempted to buy a second to have matching monitors, but that seems like an unnecessary luxury since there's nothing wrong with my old Acer K272HUL which is a simple 60Hz IPS. The only thing I might complain about is it has a fairly large bezel but I can just position the HP slightly in front so it "covers" the Acer's bezel.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 19, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Suburban Dad posted:

I have a dumb question. I want to hook up my GPU to both my main computer monitor and also to a TV via HDMI. I've got one HDMI port on my GPU, what sort of splitter/switch do I need? I never plan to use both at the same time but it would be cool to sometimes play games on a big TV from the couch vs. my computer. I've never messed with these sort of switches so I don't know if there's a decent one out there that's HDMI 2.1 compatible or if they're all garbage.
Assuming this means you have two displays that only have HDMI inputs and a GPU with the common 3xDP + 1xHDMI config the easiest solution would probably be to just get a cheap DP->HDMI adapter or cable and use that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's also worth noting that you can totally use an unpowered DP to DVI adapter to drive a Korean monitor. It will run at double base DVI clock speed in single link mode, and probably need a good single link cable, but it does work. If you don't want to buy 2 new monitors right now, you don't HAVE to. A $10-20 adapter and a decent single-link DVI cable will do the trick.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 20, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

wolrah posted:

Assuming this means you have two displays that only have HDMI inputs and a GPU with the common 3xDP + 1xHDMI config the easiest solution would probably be to just get a cheap DP->HDMI adapter or cable and use that.

Both displays are gsync so don't you lose that over displayport? Forgot to mention that in my post that I wanted keep it HDMI for that reason.

Edit: might be wrong about g sync. But still I'd like audio to go to the tv and ideally home theater setupvia HDMI.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 20, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

gsync definitely works over displayport, so hook dp to your monitor and hdmi to the tv and you are good.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Welllllll I also have 3 monitors lol. Guess I could just move the main one to dp and that leaves the HDMI open for the tv.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Suburban Dad posted:

Welllllll I also have 3 monitors lol. Guess I could just move the main one to dp and that leaves the HDMI open for the tv.

Thirding DP adapter because there just aren't (cheap) HDMI bidirectional switches that support 2.1 yet. I use a Sewell-branded bidirectional switch to connect a 3080 to a 2560x1440@144 display and a 1080p TV, but it's only possible because my TV doesn't support anything over 1920x1080@60. Genuinely the only device that I have come across so far that would suit the same needs for HDMI 2.1 is this beast, which is probably something like 28x more expensive than what you were wanting to spend.

Edit: of course after posting, now I see some switches that claim to support 4k@120, but I don't trust that they'd work beyond maybe 3 inches. Not quite there yet. Even the $550 thing I linked is 4 in, 2 out, so it wouldn't be a good solution in your case, even if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 20, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Suburban Dad posted:

Post the models of you monitors and GPU, so we can figure out what kind of arrangements are possible between them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yes that would have been smarter than make a bunch of vague posts, my apologies.

3080 founders gpu. 3dp 1 hdmi

Lg 27g83a-b (dp and HDMI I believe)
2 cheap 24" dells that I have dvi-dp cables on

Tv is a lg c1 series. HDMI for that one.

I'm fairly certain now I can just move the main monitor from HDMI to dp and be good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, you should be gtg with no adapters needed, just switch the main monitor to dp and hdmi for the c1. Just make sure your HDMI cable is rated for 4k120.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Suburban Dad posted:

Yes that would have been smarter than make a bunch of vague posts, my apologies.

3080 founders gpu. 3dp 1 hdmi

Lg 27g83a-b (dp and HDMI I believe)
2 cheap 24" dells that I have dvi-dp cables on

Tv is a lg c1 series. HDMI for that one.

I'm fairly certain now I can just move the main monitor from HDMI to dp and be good.

Change out the LG 27" for an Alienware 34 and shrink the Dells to 22", you end up with the exact same setup I have. Connection-wise it's identical. You'll be fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, you should be gtg with no adapters needed, just switch the main monitor to dp and hdmi for the c1. Just make sure your HDMI cable is rated for 4k120.

I am not smart obviously but already got an expensive rear end cable (since it's 30 feet long and an active one) for the tv that was rated for it.

I went and looked at my setup instead of doing it from memory and had one of the lovely side Dell monitors using an HDMI to DVI cable and the main one was already using dp. :whoptc: It's the one farthest from my PC and I probably didn't have a cable that would reach.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 20, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's worth noting that G-Sync only works over DisplayPort on most displays (including yours), so if you're using HDMI on your main gaming display, then you've actually been gimping yourself out of G-Sync this whole time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nope it's been on dp. I'm just a dummy with a bad memory.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
you guys probably get this often, sorry. but i have an old 24" 1080p 144hz TN panel from benq (xl2420g). works great for me, but it's definitely time i upgrade to 1440p.

currently looking at the HP x32 and the LG 32GN650-B

$340 IPS vs $300 VA. everything else seems identical. is this a noticeable difference worth $40?
other recommendations would also be welcome. budget is under $500. not interested in 4k for performance/gaming reasons. maybe ultrawide? main use is games/media.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's been a long while since I changed out monitor, so I thought I would ask here..

I was looking into replacing my third display with another Dell U2719D to run in portrait mode for personal projects, but it seems Dell no longer sells it directly.

Does anyone happen to know if the U2722D or the S2621HSX are comparable replacements?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

dioxazine posted:

It's been a long while since I changed out monitor, so I thought I would ask here..

I was looking into replacing my third display with another Dell U2719D to run in portrait mode for personal projects, but it seems Dell no longer sells it directly.

Does anyone happen to know if the U2722D or the S2621HSX are comparable replacements?

The U2722D 1440p monitor is fine, the other one you linked is 1080p and not what you want.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Cheers! I appreciate it.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Twisc posted:

you guys probably get this often, sorry. but i have an old 24" 1080p 144hz TN panel from benq (xl2420g). works great for me, but it's definitely time i upgrade to 1440p.

currently looking at the HP x32 and the LG 32GN650-B

$340 IPS vs $300 VA. everything else seems identical. is this a noticeable difference worth $40?
other recommendations would also be welcome. budget is under $500. not interested in 4k for performance/gaming reasons. maybe ultrawide? main use is games/media.

If you're only looking at those two monitors, I would go with the HP, although I can't find what I would consider to be a reputable/comprehensive review of it. Pretty much every VA monitor that isn't from the Samsung Odyssey G7/G9 line suffers some amount of dark level smearing, which can look real bad in certain scenes. Also, at 32", I would start to get concerned with VA's worse viewing angles causing color shift around the edge of the screen, and would prefer a curved monitor.

According to this, the HP monitor uses an LG or BEC panel interchangeably. The only 32" 1440p144hz+ IPS monitors LG sells are the (closely related) 32GP850 and 32GP83B, which are both good monitors, so I would assume the panel is in that ballpark performance-wise, and given that they use the BEC panel interchangeably, I would also assume that indicates the two are pretty evenly matched (or maybe HP just accepts that "yeah, half of these monitors are gonna suck, who cares," which would be a lovely if somewhat amusing business practice, idk). I'm absolutely making some assumptions here, but recent trends in budget IPS gaming monitors have been positive, while I still hear a lot about budget VA being not worth it.

Other options in that size/spec range that are known to be good are the Gigabyte M32Q, the two LG monitors I mentioned, or the 32" Samsung Odyssey G7, but those all get progressively pricier. If you're buying from Amazon or someone else with a good returns policy, you can totally just buy one, and return it if you don't like it. Another option would be drop down to 27", where there's a bunch of good monitors (see my previous post for a few).

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I've got 2 monitors currently, but I'm looking for a third specifically for color accuracy when I'm doing video and photo editing. Any recommendations for something on the cheaper side?

Also my current two monitors are the same model and I'm planning to put this new third one right in the middle to maintain symmetry. Not sure if that's gonna look weird with a height mismatch or something but I'm planning on them all at least being the same size (27").

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

d0grent posted:

I've got 2 monitors currently, but I'm looking for a third specifically for color accuracy when I'm doing video and photo editing. Any recommendations for something on the cheaper side?

Also my current two monitors are the same model and I'm planning to put this new third one right in the middle to maintain symmetry. Not sure if that's gonna look weird with a height mismatch or something but I'm planning on them all at least being the same size (27").

What are your current monitors? If you want color accuracy you'll want a colorimeter to calibrate the monitor, and unless you specifically want some specific wide color gamut for printing purposes, your current monitors can probably be calibrated to be accurate enough, and a colorimeter is cheaper than any mostly-calibrated-out-of-the-box monitor.

If you just want a third monitor, there are ones that come mostly calibrated from factory, but I still think you should budget for a colorimeter if this is at all important to you.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 21, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My HP X27q showed up. I just plugged it into my laptop to check for dead pixels and black light bleed. The pixels are fine but is this BLB acceptable? I know BLB generally looks worse in photos than IRL. The first is taken with my iPhone 13 Pro, the second is a photo taken during a 4K 24fps video which I think is more reflective of true life.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Second photo looks pretty uniform and yeah, that's about what you can expect from an LG IPS. Don't run it at 100 or 75 brightness or whatever it defaults to unless you actually need that much.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

TheFluff posted:

What are your current monitors? If you want color accuracy you'll want a colorimeter to calibrate the monitor, and unless you specifically want some specific wide color gamut for printing purposes, your current monitors can probably be calibrated to be accurate enough, and a colorimeter is cheaper than any mostly-calibrated-out-of-the-box monitor.

If you just want a third monitor, there are ones that come mostly calibrated from factory, but I still think you should budget for a colorimeter if this is at all important to you.

Okay yeah, I was thinking about taking that approach. I have two 27 inch Dells (SE2719H). I think I got them on sale for $200 instead of the $300 they are now so idk if I wanna grab the same exact model this time, especially when it seems like there's a lot of $200-250 monitors with the same or better specs.

Edit: Like am I crazy or is this a great deal? https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2780-Optimized-Brightness-Technology/dp/B072XFFQ4K/

d0grent fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

d0grent posted:

Okay yeah, I was thinking about taking that approach. I have two 27 inch Dells (SE2719H). I think I got them on sale for $200 instead of the $300 they are now so idk if I wanna grab the same exact model this time, especially when it seems like there's a lot of $200-250 monitors with the same or better specs.

Those are 27" 1080p monitors :whitewater:

I honestly don't really know what you should do at this point, you can technically get 27" 1080p monitors but those are absolutely godawful value and you shouldn't buy them. You can get 27" 4K for $250 these days, but if you're mixing resolutions in a three-monitor setup that's gonna look real weird.

e:

I mean, kinda, but not really, it's cheap because it's a thing nobody wants. 24" 1080p is best bought used from office liquidations and the like because there's a gazillion of them, but if you were buying them new you shouldn't pay more than $200. So $200 for 27" 1080p is okay from that point of view, I guess??? Except you shouldn't buy it because it looks bad. You can get 27" 1440p IPS for like, what, $220?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

1080p at 27" hasn't looked too bad to me :shrug:

But yeah I don't think having only one monitor at a bigger resolution would work.