Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why the gently caress did you buy a Mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A little annoying, but Apple so far is keeping the build of the buggy version of Scatalina (10.15.6) up on the App Store.

Which means people upgrading with that version will have to invariably spend time upgrading yet again to the Supplemental Update.

If you want to avoid this, use that installmacos.py script, and if you look at the list of macos builds available, they have build G2021 which is the version of 10.15.6 that already has the Supplemental Update baked in. Use that unless you feel like waiting for another half hour to apply the SU..

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

LODGE NORTH posted:

I can set up a virtual machine relatively easily with macOS. My computer's internals are a hodgepodge of good/decent to really good parts since it's.a Hackintosh that started its life as a gaming PC in late 2016, but I want to try and virtualize Windows to its max ability. Mostly because I don't necessarily want to boot into Windows, do Windows things, then boot back into macOS. I enjoy the quickness of being able to close an app, hop in another app, within seconds. Is there an easyish way to do this? Even if it's harder, I can probably figure it out.

STEP 1: download and try VirtualBox. If it suits your needs, cool! It's free. Enjoy. Skip step 2.

STEP 2: VB isn't good enough for you? You now need to choose between the two paid options: Parallels and VMWare Fusion. I prefer VMWare personally, but part of that is never having tried Parallels. My touchy feely impression is that Parallels is a bit better if you want to run games in a windows VM and VMWare is better for stability, easily running VMs created on other computers, and other more enterprise-y features.

Be warned that both of them will periodically need paid updates. macOS updates once a year; virtualization software is extremely low level and needs an update to match. If you're keeping macOS up to date, you will often need to pay for a new version that works better (or at all) with the new OS. Again I don't have direct experience with Parallels, but I remember seeing complaints recently that they have pretty much been requiring one paid update per year while VMWare often lets you get away with every other year. Someone with direct experience should chime in here.

STEP 3 (Optional): Discover that 16GB isn't enough RAM to comfortably run a VM large enough for your needs with all your Mac apps running at the same time. Upgrade to 32GB or more. (Virtual machines can be very memory hungry.)

E: oh yeah, I have no idea how well any of this works under hackintosh. Virtualization software is, once again, some of the lowest level software possible (literally requires multiple kernel extensions up till Big Sur) and it would not surprise me if you run into some random bugs.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 15, 2020

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

BobHoward posted:

STEP 1: download and try VirtualBox. If it suits your needs, cool! It's free. Enjoy. Skip step 2.

STEP 2: VB isn't good enough for you? You now need to choose between the two paid options: Parallels and VMWare Fusion. I prefer VMWare personally, but part of that is never having tried Parallels. My touchy feely impression is that Parallels is a bit better if you want to run games in a windows VM and VMWare is better for stability, easily running VMs created on other computers, and other more enterprise-y features.

Be warned that both of them will periodically need paid updates. macOS updates once a year; virtualization software is extremely low level and needs an update to match. If you're keeping macOS up to date, you will often need to pay for a new version that works better (or at all) with the new OS. Again I don't have direct experience with Parallels, but I remember seeing complaints recently that they have pretty much been requiring one paid update per year while VMWare often lets you get away with every other year. Someone with direct experience should chime in here.

STEP 3 (Optional): Discover that 16GB isn't enough RAM to comfortably run a VM large enough for your needs with all your Mac apps running at the same time. Upgrade to 32GB or more. (Virtual machines can be very memory hungry.)

E: oh yeah, I have no idea how well any of this works under hackintosh. Virtualization software is, once again, some of the lowest level software possible (literally requires multiple kernel extensions up till Big Sur) and it would not surprise me if you run into some random bugs.

I'll have to give this a go. I luckily have access to paid versions of both VMWare and Parallels, but I did figure it'd be a bit more complicated. I have bad memories of running VMWare on my first Mac many moons ago, so I was going into this thinking there was some secret better option. Thanks!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Parallels is doing a subscription model now. $45/year. I paid it a few months ago in order to not have to keep a separate machine running for my scanner which I am not replacing because i can get super cheap ink for the printer (multifunction combo unit) but there are no 64 bit drivers for it. So i've been running a Sierra install in a VM for whenever I need it. Also handy for when my mother-in-law comes over and wants to log onto my work computer and I don't want her going through my poo poo. (we also have to zip tie the bookcases shut so she doesn't go through our financial paperwork. god drat.)

I had purchased Parallels in something like 2009 for my old macbook of the same vintage and it was good but wasn't using it very often. Now that I am working from home and all that I'm using version 16 (came out the other day) all the time. I also have VMs set up for Windows 98, Me, XP (none of which work fantastically but I had made them to try and play Red Alert off my original windows 95 cds before learning that OpenRA is a thing), windows 10, and Bodhi Linux

And for what it's worth I am running it on a hackintosh. z370 w/ i5-9400f, asus dual rx 480

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

otter posted:

Also handy for when my mother-in-law comes over and wants to log onto my work computer and I don't want her going through my poo poo. (we also have to zip tie the bookcases shut so she doesn't go through our financial paperwork. god drat.)

:sever:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

For real.
I wish I could put her on an ice floe like they used to back in the olden days.
She's like 65 and lives in an old folks home. She literally has nobody left aside from my wife because she's got borderline and narcissistic personality disorder. The worst part is that wife is turning into her slowly. 2 1/2 months until she comes back for 2-3 more days.

At least keeping her confined to a virtual machine keeps her honest(ish).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'll have to give this a go. I luckily have access to paid versions of both VMWare and Parallels, but I did figure it'd be a bit more complicated. I have bad memories of running VMWare on my first Mac many moons ago, so I was going into this thinking there was some secret better option. Thanks!

It's pretty easy to use these days. Even has some features which let it run through OS installer dialog boxes for you; answer a few basic questions up front and then go have a sandwich while VMWare runs the installation for you. Works great as long as you're fine with the default settings it uses. (e.g. if you install Red Hat Linux in a VM this way, you're not getting any control over the partitions in the VM disk image)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

relatedly I find an 8/8gb split is actually plenty, as long as you don't push either side too much.
if it's solely for old games windows can do fine with 4, or even 2 if it's reeeaaaally old

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

The speeds you can get on drives externally now is so good that I wasn't too worried about sacrificing ideal SSD size (and RAM, I hate that you have to do so much now compared to the old models mind). The one thing to keep in mind apparently the speed of the internal drive scales up the larger the capacity you purchase. I stuck with 256 and try to offload anything that doesn't really need speed onto my DAS. If I need more high speed storage, I'll get one of those Samsung external things that seem popular and fast.
Yeah this, for mine I got 256 and a 2TB external SSD and moved my whole user folder onto that. It's slower than it could be, SATA SSD in a USB 3.1 (3.1 gen 2? 3.2?) enclosure cause I was too cheap for NVMe+TB3, but still plenty fast enough for my use.

Bob Morales posted:

I'm still weary of external drives. Coming unplugged, resetting randomly, disconnecting when my Mac goes to sleep...also it steals a port which most Macs don't have many of.
Definitely concerns in the back of my mind, but ultimately if you have enough crap (and not enough $) you're gonna have to deal with external storage anyway.

Binary Badger posted:

The Supplemental Update for 10.15.6 is said to plug a memory leak that virtualization apps are vulnerable to. Especially if you leave those apps running for extended periods of time.

It also seems to be a balm for some people who said they were getting kernel panics from WindowServer.

This update did not update any BootROMs on pre-2016 Macs, but BridgeOS was updated on all T2- based Macs.

Somewhat unnerving is the fact that they rolled back the kernel to an earlier version..
Hmm I've been having periodic Bridge OS crashes in Mojave since an update or two ago, been tempted to update just to see if Catalina would be better. At some point after however many days an app gets stuck or triggers graphic wonkiness (or other way around), and a crash is imminent some time after that. I've been able to gracefully restart but it basically feels like a time bomb once stuff starts getting funky.

otter posted:

Parallels is doing a subscription model now. $45/year.
Is that just for maintenance/updates or for the ability to run it at all?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
It’s 80 a year for a new license and that license is for that version. You get maintenance updates but not major updates. Major updates are 50 for the year. I recommend turning off the auto renew if you plan and staying current with major versions. Otherwise you’ll end up renewing an old license and still have to pay the 50 to upgrade.

Edit this is parallels. I haven’t used VMware in a while so no clue how their licensing is.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I started a parallels monthly a month ago and got version 16.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I marked that mine was an upgrade but nowhere do they ask you what version you are upgrading from. I don’t think they really care.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
When Big Sur goes final release, do beta installs just update to that like iOS betas? I'm assuming so but would like to confirm so I can be prepared to reinstall the OS.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I've usually just wiped and reinstalled for GMs/final releases just in case there was unintended beta cruft left behind.

Big Sur looks stable enough that I might just update in place though

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ziploc posted:

When Big Sur goes final release, do beta installs just update to that like iOS betas? I'm assuming so but would like to confirm so I can be prepared to reinstall the OS.

I’m not sure about public betas, but Appleseed betas stayed on a beta release. For the next dot release though.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
My old Mac died and I just got a "new" one. I can't seem to install some of the old apps I bought (Forklift, AirMail) because they've got new versions that I'd need to buy or subscribe to. It looks like the suggested software list at the front of this thread is a couple years old, so I have a question.

Is there a good Mac email client that I can use to manage a couple different emails addresses? I have been using AirMail 3 and really like it, but it's not available anymore. I don't love Mac's default mail app either. Is there a good email app? I don't mind paying money for one.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

that one guy posted:

My old Mac died and I just got a "new" one. I can't seem to install some of the old apps I bought (Forklift, AirMail) because they've got new versions that I'd need to buy or subscribe to. It looks like the suggested software list at the front of this thread is a couple years old, so I have a question.

Is there a good Mac email client that I can use to manage a couple different emails addresses? I have been using AirMail 3 and really like it, but it's not available anymore. I don't love Mac's default mail app either. Is there a good email app? I don't mind paying money for one.

I bought Airmail 3 and it installed Airmail 4. It's not the pro/subscriber version but seems to still work.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

that one guy posted:

From their site “Airmail Pro is free for all users that are subscribed to Airmail Pro for iOS or have purchased Airmail 3 since 1st January 2019. Previous users can still use Airmail with all the old features under Preferences>General> Airmail Legacy. New Users can try Airmail without Multi Account, and limited capabilities.”

So you should be set one way or another.

Pro is $10/year which isn’t bad.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

that one guy posted:

Spark is the goodest.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Just be aware that there have been security concerns about storing email account info in both Spark and AirMail. If you're giving your work credentials to these apps, just make sure it's not violating any policies.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That was my concern about MailButler as well. MailButler also sucks rear end in general, fwiw.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, a lot of these clients grab mail "on your behalf", so at some point in the communication chain they can read and keyword mine every single email you send and receive on servers they control. This may or may not be acceptable to you or your employer (depending on what accounts you have in it).

Definitely read the Privacy Policy for any 3rd party service that needs credentials to an unaffiliated platform in general. While it may be buried somewhat, information on what they are doing with the account information you give them will be spelled out in the policy. If there is no Privacy Policy run away.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just use Mail

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's this.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Big Sur Beta 5 came out. Installing now.. had to wipe because FileVault seems to need some more tweaking..

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Mailmate

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I'm fairly interested in the new MailPilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClMCHl6SWmU

Also, Postbox and Canary are suitable alternatives.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Binary Badger posted:

Big Sur Beta 5 came out. Installing now.. had to wipe because FileVault seems to need some more tweaking..

lol gently caress I just turned that on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I miss using Mail.app.

I can't anymore because

a) my work laptop is my primary, and they forbid it (it's all gmail/webmail or nothing)

b) The way Mail stores its messages, every time I go to run a backup it balloons to literally millions of files and takes hours just "preparing", never mind if I ever had a mind to copy something ad-hoc or restore something

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Data Graham posted:

b) The way Mail stores its messages, every time I go to run a backup it balloons to literally millions of files and takes hours just "preparing", never mind if I ever had a mind to copy something ad-hoc or restore something

I just go into Time Machine settings and tell it to ignore the entire ~/Library/Mail/ directory. My email is all IMAP anyways, so it's already on a server, no need to backup.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ziploc posted:

lol gently caress I just turned that on.

Well to be fair, it only seemed messed up in Beta 4, it's behaving nicely in Beta 5..

(Caveat: I am not using an Apple AHCI SSD in this test machine and I just did a clean install of Beta 5 after having to use Disk Utility to literally kill all partitions before wiping.)

Also, Safari build 16610.1.25.1.3 has this cool feature where activated extensions appear in a different color than the rest of the toolbar.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 20, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm assuming you're all encrypting test data and not actual important things with beta software, since direct recovery of that data would likely be impossible if something got real hosed up there.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

No, not testing on an actual production machine like a moron.

Not even letting the machine touch an iCloud account not meant for production, either. That'll only happen with backups and non-beta..

Edit: Safari will definitely feel better in Big Sur, at the moment it feels snappier running on a 13-inch 2013 dual core rMBP than the Mojave equivalent on a 15-inch quad-core rMBP. And the 13-inch only has 8 GB..

Edit2: Yup, much faster when rendering pages with Twitter embeds and images, just came back from GBS..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 20, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to start using BBEdit on the Mac for as much as I can. I hear that is the great classic Mac text editor. All I really want to do on a computer is edit text anyway, other than the usual browse internet. If I could ssh into my workstation from it, I'd be a happy camper.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
code:
;;; init-osx-keys.el --- Configure keys specific to MacOS -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;; Commentary:
;;; Code:

(when *is-a-mac*
  (setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
  (setq mac-option-modifier 'none)
  ;; Make mouse wheel / trackpad scrolling less jerky
  (setq mouse-wheel-scroll-amount '(1
                                    ((shift) . 5)
                                    ((control))))
  (dolist (multiple '("" "double-" "triple-"))
    (dolist (direction '("right" "left"))
      (global-set-key (read-kbd-macro (concat "<" multiple "wheel-" direction ">")) 'ignore)))
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-`") 'ns-next-frame)
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-h") 'ns-do-hide-emacs)
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-&#729;") 'ns-do-hide-others)
  (with-eval-after-load 'nxml-mode
    (define-key nxml-mode-map (kbd "M-h") nil))
  (global-set-key (kbd "M-&#717;") 'ns-do-hide-others) ;; what describe-key reports for cmd-option-h
  )

(provide 'init-osx-keys)
;;; init-osx-keys.el ends here
Someone linked me this, I will try it when I get on the MBP again. Might make life a bit easier for emacs users.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

excellent bird guy posted:

I'm going to start using BBEdit on the Mac for as much as I can. I hear that is the great classic Mac text editor. All I really want to do on a computer is edit text anyway, other than the usual browse internet. If I could ssh into my workstation from it, I'd be a happy camper.

Excellent editor (it doesn't suck).

Note that you can edit remote files over (S)FTP, which might address your SSH requirement. It looks like this is available in the free mode, too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TextWrangler is dead now right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020

Bob Morales posted:

TextWrangler is dead now right?

Yeah, they replaced it with the free version of BBEdit. (Not sure whether there are any significant feature changes.)