Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

Thanks for the heads up on that. I really only wanted a 4GB RX 470, but AIB RX 470 availability seems to be completely unknown at this point. For $322 (no tax in my state), I'll rock a 980 Ti for a few weeks and sell it on craigslist and break even/profit.

A 980 TI FTW for $352 is a great price. Getting it for $322 is a steal. A 980 TI is going to hold value and last much longer. You are saving $100 over the usual used prices on Ebay.

Speaking of which am I justified thinking that my 1070 g1 is worth the extra $50 over the 980 Ti? Brand new and warranty considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If you don't like the window on your case, have out tinted dark or get a piece of contrasting opaque plexiglass or something.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I find that a coat of plastidip on the window panel works well. (Be sure to disassemble first.) I hate most of the window material used in cases anyways. It's usually acrylic that's literally softer than your fingernails. Scratching it or handling it improperly leaves white marks that never go away.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 10, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I find that a coat of plastidip on the window panel works well. (Be sure to disassemble first.) I hate most of the window material used in cases anyways. It's usually acrylic that's literally softer than your fingernails. Scratching it or handling it improperly leaves white marks that never go away.

Now I want to sandpaper the one windowed case I have that I don't like to make it frosted and a bit more opaque.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Cable management also made huge leaps forward recently. I really like my NZXT S340.

I feel like it's taken manufacturers a stupid long time before a case that can do this was designed.

1) ALL harddrive/ssd cages removable
2) More than 5mm gap behind the motherboard tray and the outter side panel
3) grommet holes and tie offs in lots of places
4) Toolless removable washable dust filters on the intakes
5) Toolless side panel removal
6) Removable 5 1/4" bays
7) Slide out motherboard tray

With how long PC's have existed, it shouldn't have taken this long.

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH
I just got my 1070 installed and it's running beautifully. Thanks everyone who posted about nowinstock.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ak Gara posted:

I feel like it's taken manufacturers a stupid long time before a case that can do this was designed.

6) Removable 5 1/4" bays

that has existed for at least 7 years but they are only now starting to be in the $100 range and not just in fractal cases

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I still want a very simplified aluminium cube case with steel internals. Like fortress ft05 without that retarded mirror strip... I have a define R3 as my htpc case, but I really like the rotated layout for higher tdp parts. Also your gpu's pcb stays straight.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Green Gloves posted:

Speaking of which am I justified thinking that my 1070 g1 is worth the extra $50 over the 980 Ti? Brand new and warranty considered.

They're about on par, performance-wise, so if you can find a significantly cheaper 980Ti that's something to consider. But I'd expect it to be hard to find one for $350. Then again, finding a 1070 at the MSRP is not that easy either, at least for anything but the basic models.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

They're about on par, performance-wise, so if you can find a significantly cheaper 980Ti that's something to consider. But I'd expect it to be hard to find one for $350. Then again, finding a 1070 at the MSRP is not that easy either, at least for anything but the basic models.

I just bought earlier for Amazon with the coupon. 980 Ti FTW were $350 after taxes for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's a really good price. Have fun with one of the best graphics cards available right now.

The US is a paradise for this stuff, I'm lucky if I can find a GTX 1070 for under €480.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

6) Removable 5 1/4" bays

that's why i want the S340 or something similar. i'm not using any of the drive bays, they're just taking up room.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

wicka posted:

that's why i want the S340 or something similar. i'm not using any of the drive bays, they're just taking up room.

What about the Define S?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I don't understand why ATX is still the norm, optical drives? 3.5" drives? SLI/Crossfire? This is 2016 no one does that poo poo anymore.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Green Gloves posted:

A 980 TI FTW for $352 is a great price. Getting it for $322 is a steal. A 980 TI is going to hold value and last much longer. You are saving $100 over the usual used prices on Ebay.

Why would anyone sane not pay $50 more for a 1070 over a 980 Ti? Newer architecture, ~14% faster, 2GB more RAM, HDMI 2.0b + DP 1.4, better hardware video encoding/decoding support, 66W less power during gaming. There's good reason why 980 Tis are now cheap.

snuff posted:

I don't understand why ATX is still the norm, optical drives? 3.5" drives? SLI/Crossfire? This is 2016 no one does that poo poo anymore.

God, how I hate ATX with a passion. Even OEMs haven't used space wasters like oversized ATX PSUs and full height 90s era optical drives for a long time. And I have no idea why DDR4 needed another loving desktop physical factor either when laptop ones can already do the job.

The Steambox that allows a full height GPU really should be the way forward.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 10, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

wicka posted:

Honestly, more budget cases should do what Fracal does with the X300 tier of the CORE line of cases. (X500 still uses full-sized sleds and bays.)

edit: Hang on, I know I have a photo here from before I gave it away to my stepbrothers. All the drives mount onto what would normally be the side of the drive cages, and it's completely removable. There's still a 2.5" drive mounting point on the motherboard tray on the backside, down near the bottom back corner, if you're a solo drive kind of person.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 10, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i don't like the design quite as much. the S340 is just like a plain monolith, without a window it'd be the case i've always wanted

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 10, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think I could fit a 10 series card in my case (HAF 912), especially after removing some of the drive cages, but may have to redo some of the cable management :toot:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like it'll still be a while before anyone on the European continent will be able to get their hands on custom 10x0 cards. Stock still seems non-existent, and that earthquake probably didn't help.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems like it'll still be a while before anyone on the European continent will be able to get their hands on custom 10x0 cards. Stock still seems non-existent, and that earthquake probably didn't help.

Wasn't it a tropical storm? Anyway, I'm not sure about post-nature's wrath, but most popular custom 10x0 cards have been trickling into stores over the last few weeks.
You just don't see any stock because most stores here allow back orders and each shipment they get goes to those. It took only a week for me to get my card.

E: But even with those, some models do show up as in stock (for exorbitant prices).

Geemer fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 10, 2016

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is a 750w PSU sufficient for running two 780s SLI if they're not overclocked?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I installed the 1070 strix on Friday night and have been playing doom on ultra with gsync and everything cranked up at 1440p, it's incredible. I've haven't had a PC with this much horsepower ever and I haven't even OC'ed the cpu or gpu http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9247258

A couple of things about the strix and ASUS in general.

1. Why the gently caress do I need two versions of AURA to control the motherboard and the gpu?
2. Why the gently caress did you guys forget to put LEDs behind the STRIX lettering on the gpu?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Zerilan posted:

Is a 750w PSU sufficient for running two 780s SLI if they're not overclocked?

It's cutting it pretty close - I'm seeing 2 x 268* = 536 watt max power consumption for just the GPU's; that leaves 214 watts for everything else. An un-overclocked i5 or four-core i7 should slide in under the maximum, but I'm not comfortable being that close to the limit.

And that's assuming it's a newish high-quality PS that can deliver full power when warm, many of them can't when you heat 'em up.

* from Techpowerup

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

afkmacro posted:

2. Why the gently caress did you guys forget to put LEDs behind the STRIX lettering on the gpu?

Uh somewhat related question, does anybody make high-end video cards that DON'T glow like christmas trees at this point? Or at least has an option to turn all LEDs off permanently, including at boot

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose EVGA.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Geemer posted:

Wasn't it a tropical storm? Anyway, I'm not sure about post-nature's wrath, but most popular custom 10x0 cards have been trickling into stores over the last few weeks.
You just don't see any stock because most stores here allow back orders and each shipment they get goes to those. It took only a week for me to get my card.

Yeah, there are cards coming in but most of it is being used to fulfill backorders. Which makes financial sense, I guess. So your best bet is to place one yourself. Only thing I can find available for immediate delivery in my go-to store are some of the basic models, nothing else.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PaulC posted:

Uh somewhat related question, does anybody make high-end video cards that DON'T glow like christmas trees at this point? Or at least has an option to turn all LEDs off permanently, including at boot

I can turn off my evga 1070

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

It's cutting it pretty close - I'm seeing 2 x 268* = 536 watt max power consumption for just the GPU's; that leaves 214 watts for everything else. An un-overclocked i5 or four-core i7 should slide in under the maximum, but I'm not comfortable being that close to the limit.

And that's assuming it's a newish high-quality PS that can deliver full power when warm, many of them can't when you heat 'em up.

* from Techpowerup

Ok yeah, it's not exactly a brand new 750psu so I'll take cutting it close as a solid no. I had a friend willing to sell me his 780s he's replacing fairly cheap until I can get a 1070 when it finally one day drops to MSRP, but it looks like a decent 850+ psu is itself over $100, which I wouldn't need for a 1070, so probably better off waiting on that.

Alternatively, how much of an upgrade is a single 780 over a radeon hd 6950?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zerilan posted:

Rather large.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Welp, finally did it. :homebrew:

1070 on the way. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127955

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

1070 Stock is plentiful, just checking komplett shows over 200 AIB 1070s in stock.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's great. So quiet, 1860 MHz out of the box.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

snuff posted:

I never used to care for small cases but now its hard to imagine going back to ATX anything. Now with clever GPU repositioning you can fit massive cards in very thin cases. My case is like 4 inches wide and fits anywhere, yet fit the old G1 (retarded long), MSI 980ti (super tall) . etc

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I never used to care for small cases but now its hard to imagine going back to ATX anything. Now with clever GPU repositioning you can fit massive cards in very thin cases. My case is like 4 inches wide and fits anywhere, yet fit the old G1 (retarded long), MSI 980ti (super tall) . etc

ncase supremacy, 980 Ti fits

itd be nicer with a cute mini-card like Fury Nano or the mini x70

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Malcolm XML posted:

ncase supremacy, 980 Ti fits

itd be nicer with a cute mini-card like Fury Nano or the mini x70

too big :colbert:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Zerilan posted:

A lot. I went from a Radeon 6950 to a 7950@1ghz to a 780ti over the course of a few years in my gaming box and the 6950-7950 swap was huge. 6950's are an old architecture and the 7950 is GCN, which is still being used(in an updated form).

My secondary box is running the 7950 with a 2500K and it runs everything at 1080p fine, as long as I drop some of the bells-n-whistles on the newest games.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Zerilan posted:

Ok yeah, it's not exactly a brand new 750psu so I'll take cutting it close as a solid no. I had a friend willing to sell me his 780s he's replacing fairly cheap until I can get a 1070 when it finally one day drops to MSRP, but it looks like a decent 850+ psu is itself over $100, which I wouldn't need for a 1070, so probably better off waiting on that.

My GTX 770 coming from a 6950 was pretty much a 2x performance increase. So a 780 would be even more than that, probably around 125-150% depending on the game.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
$185 for a XFX 290x DD edition sound like a decent deal for 1080p gaming?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

B-Mac posted:

$185 for a XFX 290x DD edition sound like a decent deal for 1080p gaming?

That was a good deal ~1.5 years ago. I'd wait a couple days for an aftermarket RX 480 that runs cool, quiet and factory undervolted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikul
Feb 8, 2004
So is a GTX 1060 gonna be good enough for 2560x1600 Doom 4, or do I need to aim higher. CPU is an i7 3770 3.4Ghz