Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bogatyr posted:

So how in the hell can you be a car guy and think that hibeam/brights foot switch is somehow quirky or unique? They were ubiquitous on domestic cars and trucks for decades...

My '74 Cutlass had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its a stupid as gently caress place to put the high beam switch on the floor

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

its a stupid as gently caress place to put the high beam switch on the floor

Well, they hadn't figured out how to make a multi-function switch yet, so the turn signal stalk just activated the turn signals. They had to have a separate switch somewhere for the high beams, and foot switch was actually a clever place to put it.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
My cars, parent's cars in the 70's that had foot switches.
70 Roadrunner
74 Ramcharger
74 Pinto
77 Thunderbird
75 Maverick GT
81 Caprice wagon
79 Ford F350
84 Bronco

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Well, they hadn't figured out how to make a multi-function switch yet, so the turn signal stalk just activated the turn signals. They had to have a separate switch somewhere for the high beams, and foot switch was actually a clever place to put it.

I don't know if it was quite as convenient if you had a manual transmission but you really appreciate it on a dark windy road with the occasional oncoming car.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

R-Red Green? Is...that you?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I always step on mine on accident because im used to having a foot brace there. Headlights from the 70's are so lovely compared to now its also kinda hard to notice when i do.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Also there were dodges that use that space for for a foot pump that pressurizes the reservoir but im not sure how common that was.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DogonCrook posted:

Also there were dodges that use that space for for a foot pump that pressurizes the reservoir but im not sure how common that was.

One of my parents' cars had both the washer pump and high beam switch on the left side. I think it was the '67 Ford Galaxie.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, then the smart stalk was created.

Crammed everything from cruise control, wipers, turn signals, etc. into one place. With the precision of mid 80's American production.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Bogatyr posted:

I don't know if it was quite as convenient if you had a manual transmission but you really appreciate it on a dark windy road with the occasional oncoming car.

I can't speak to every vehicle that had a manual and a foot activated high beam switch but it was fine in an '82 Ford Bronco at least. The Bronco had a foot pedal for the emergency brake as well and the high beam switch was kind of under that so you'd have to put your foot over quite a bit to hit it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bogatyr posted:

My dad's 89 f150 was a manual with a foot switch, and I liked it. Never gave me any trouble.

On cars where the multi-switch is attached to the wheel and not the column, a windy road is a real pain in the rear end. Dimmer and wipers are never where you expect. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bigbillystyle posted:

I can't speak to every vehicle that had a manual and a foot activated high beam switch but it was fine in an '82 Ford Bronco at least. The Bronco had a foot pedal for the emergency brake as well and the high beam switch was kind of under that so you'd have to put your foot over quite a bit to hit it.

My F100 has it real close to the clutch pedal, and I've hit it before when I didn't have my foot all the way centered on the clutch so it hung off the side a little bit. Which is stupid, because there's plenty of room to the left where it could have gone. :shrug:

Other than that, I love stomp switch dimmers. Don't have to move my hands at all to dim for oncoming traffic.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Chrysler multi-switch stem that controls the cruise control is actually pretty great once you figure it out. Less hunting than steering wheel switches in my experience

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm pretty sure Ford ran foot high beam switches in their trucks until at least the end of the 91 model year.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, then the smart stalk was created.

Crammed everything from cruise control, wipers, turn signals, etc. into one place. With the precision of mid 80's American production.

My mom had an.. 86? Cadillac at one point. She bought it brand new.

That loving switch snapped off of the stalk at least 3 times in the ~30k she owned it. It got to where she got real good at yanking/installing the fuse for the wipers while driving. IIRC the 1990 that she traded it in for had the same issue.

I'm really glad the switch on my GM only controls the turn signals and headlights... and I have automatic headlights, so it only gets touched for signalling or if I'm going to be parked with the engine idling.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm pretty sure Ford ran foot high beam switches in their trucks until at least the end of the 91 model year.

Had headlight knob in my 92 exploder. Think you had to click it over too high beams.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
1959 Lincolns had a foot switch for high beams and a foot switch for changing channels on the radio.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

joat mon posted:

1959 Lincolns had a foot switch for high beams and a foot switch for changing channels on the radio.

My first car was a used 1965 Chrysler Newport, it had the foot switches for high beams and radio too! Had electric bench seat, electric windows, and a "concert hall" reverb unit in it also. Cool car for its time.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Holy cow, I just realized there's a reason I tend to subconsciously keep my foot off the dead pedal.

My first car was a '76 Duster.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

I don't know how many of you have driven a step-van, but all the switches and knobs would be real familiar to anyone who grew up with 70's-80's GMs. Also, nothing ever loving works right on those things: a colleague of mine drove a bread-van with a four speed, a broken floor mounted dimmer, and no low beams. You could see her coming down the road quite a ways at night, every shift was accompanied by the high-beams flashing!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

My 66 beetle had one.. you activated the high beams with a button on the back side of the blinker arm. It was really crappy and fussy and didn't work a lot, but it was there. This was in the late 90's though, so who knows how well it worked when new.

So perhaps a better statement is they hadn't figured out how to make multifunction stalks reliable yet. :v:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DogonCrook posted:

My dad had a Challenger with one. I think it was only installed on the poverty models.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My dad's Volga had a foot switch too, IIRC. I think that was just the normal way to to do it back in the day even in :ussr:. Here, I even manged to find a photo. Apparently the other button is the windshield washer. The lever is the parking brake.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Saw whatever the hell this is on the road today.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's painted up like a 70s rollerskate! :3:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

EKDS5k posted:

You seem to be confused with regard to the thread you are posting in.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

A rad groovy bug?

E: period correct adjective

Faster Blaster fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 23, 2017

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

EKDS5k posted:

That's a pretty cool car tbh.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

eyebeem posted:

You seem to be confused with regard to the thread you are posting in.

I put it in here because he went to all the effort to make it and then stanced the hell out of the rear tires.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

EKDS5k posted:

I put it in here because he went to all the effort to make it and then stanced the hell out of the rear tires.

You... do know what a swing axle is, right?

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

That bumper sucks, but i like the paintjob and the deleted windows look.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

EKDS5k posted:

Hahaha jesus

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

You... do know what a swing axle is, right?

I mean I guess, but even stopped on flat pavement the tires were at least 5 degrees in. It didn't look super floaty in motion either.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess you could say it's not a bug, but a feature!

:suicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

I mean I guess, but even stopped on flat pavement the tires were at least 5 degrees in. It didn't look super floaty in motion either.

Please google how swing axles work before posting on this topic again.

(any beetle with a raise/lower will be "stanced" because of how the geometry of the trailing arms work)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Swing axle beetles are always awesome. I don't even like slammed bugs (I kept mine stock. Stock never goes out of style) but I can respect it. As long as it's not fake rat rodded.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Slim Pickens posted:

I guess you could say it's not a bug, but a feature!

:suicide:

booo

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

How are you not familiar with a Baja Bug? I realize this isn't a VW forum but it's not like this is something obscure.

Edit: Just noticed the BC plates in the pic. I guess that explains it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EKDS5k posted:

Get outttttttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

What's the ride like in something like this? Can you go over 30MPH?