Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Oh that reminded me of the F-16's accidental first flight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR-48Kri0Tw

Bonus gear-up landing on the next flight, too, which I didn't know about.

Better than the F-14's first flight to first ejection record of what 24 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hobbesmaster posted:

Better than the F-14's first flight to first ejection record of what 24 hours?

Not quite, it was a little over a week

gives an excuse to post this yet again though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmEFrWDAUY

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

One of my favorite maintainer stories is getting roped into raiding the display aircraft on the stick in front of the gate for parts one night.

This didn't get enough love, and I need to know both the aircraft and the part needed. I laughed waaaaaaaaaaaay too hard at this.

Speaking of IL-76es, I'm listening to the audiobook of Matt Potter's Outlaws, Inc. for the third time. It's pretty much Aeronautical Insanity the novel, and y'all should read it. It explains why that pilot had such a long roll, aside from regular overloading.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 10, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Story of the R100 and R101 IV: A Big Day Out

When we last saw R100, she was at the docking mast at Cardington, getting ready for her flight to Canada. This post is all about that trip - though it also is about what the Imperial Airship service might have been like, had it been established.

R100 was supposed to have taken the trip to the Dominion of Canada as early as May, but minor problems managed to delay the flight to the end of July 1930. So when the chance actually came, the men of the R100 program were chomping at the bit to get going. Having flown an extensive series of flight tests (at least compared to R101), and with all systems working in harmony, departing to Canada was simply a matter of loading enough fuel, in this case, 34.5 tons of gasoline.The Captain for the flight was to be Squadron Commander Booth, and Caption George Meager, one of our narrators, to be first mate. The flight crew for R100's trans-Atlantic trip was its usual crew: a roughly proportional mixture of Navy LTA flyers (like Capt.Meager), British Private School lads (who'd used their connections to get a job on what all the newspapers were talking about) and working-class riggers and other men recruited during construction. Despite the odd mix, this crew by all accounts worked brilliantly together, complementing each other's strengths, and having the operational, theoretical, and practical knowledge needed to run a rigid airship. Despite Booth being the captain, Major Scott was actually making lots of flying decisions and could be considered R100's commander. (Major Scott, let's not forget, was the captain of the R38's trans-Atlantic flight, so there was some justification for this slightly awkward command arrangement.)

Nevielle Shute was coming along, as was his boss, Sir Denison Burney. The other passengers were representatives of the RAF (Sq. Leader Wann) the Royal Navy (Lt. Cmdr. Prentice) and people from RAW: Wing Commander Colmore and two assistants of his, one of these being the Mr. McWade that tried his best to sound the alarm on the R101's flaws.

While R100 is being loaded, it's worthwhile to stop a moment and talk about the state of trans-Atlantic air travel. Charles Lindbergh's historic solo flight to Paris happened only three years previous, and Amelia Earhart became a celebrity like Lindbergh in 1928 by being the first woman on a trans-Atlantic flight, and she was a passenger. (Earhart felt her fame undeserved for this, and would go on to perform many aviation exploits of her own.) 1929 saw 13 attempts to cross the Atlantic by flying, and eight of those failed, with two more attempts just vanishing over the ocean. In contrast, rigid airships had a 100% success rate on trans-Atlantic flights, with the first commercial trans-Atlantic flight happening in 1928 by Graf Zeppelin. The 1930 trans-Atlantic season had gotten off to a promising start in May: taking the shorter south Atlantic route, Jean Mermoz for Aéropostale flew a Latecoere 28 floatplane from Dakar to Natal, the first airplane trans-Atlantic mail service. That May also saw another successful crossing by Graf Zeppelin. The Southern Cross, a Fokker F.VII that was the first aircraft to fly the Pacific, flew from Dublin to Harbor Grace, Newfoundland. And two British flyers in a De Haviland Puss Moth crashed on takeoff in Harbor Grace, trying to fly to Britain.

All this is me repeating myself, I know, but it is worth emphasizing that despite typical British understatement, the flight of the R100 was in fact a pretty big deal in 1930. Especially as this flight was bringing along cooks, stewards, and hot breakfasts every morning.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

:swoon: Hooray, it's the next installment!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nebakenezzer posted:

aw yissssssssssssssssss

E to repost some R100 stuff from earlier in the thread:

(click for bigger)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 10, 2016

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

lol

I had a bet with myself on whether you or Godholio would be the first to reply with that

but seriously I'm pretty sure some of my tinnitus is from being in the vicinity of the flightline when E-3s were taking off at Elmo. Also from a couple days during an exercise when a bunch of SHornets were visiting.

e: and the WB-57s at KAF certainly didn't help

e2: Wing Commander L.J.E Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes

That certainly is a British name

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 10, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've been holding off listening to the new Iron Maiden because I don't want to spoil the ending of this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

lol

I had a bet with myself on whether you or Godholio would be the first to reply with that

My reaction was seriously "GODDAMNIT" when I saw that he'd already posted it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

You're the best.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nebakenezzer posted:

:neckbeard:

Enourmo posted:

Not quite, it was a little over a week

gives an excuse to post this yet again though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmEFrWDAUY

Thanks for that, especially love the right now bit at the end.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iyaayas01 posted:

lol

but seriously I'm pretty sure some of my tinnitus is from being in the vicinity of the flightline when E-3s were taking off at Elmo. Also from a couple days during an exercise when a bunch of SHornets were visiting.

e: and the WB-57s at KAF certainly didn't help

e2: Wing Commander L.J.E Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes

That certainly is a British name

My tinnitus is getting worse with every passing year. Just yesterday I was hit with three bouts of it. More often than not it was a minor irritation, but now the intensity can be so high that I have to just quit what I'm doing and grimace through it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Awesome post, keep it up.

Just a quick spergy note, the mountain in the background of the second picture of the airship at St-Hubert isn't Mont Royal, it's (I think) Mont St-Hillaire. Mont Royal is smack dab in the middle of Montreal and as you mention has a big honkin' cross on it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FrozenVent posted:

Awesome post, keep it up.

Just a quick spergy note, the mountain in the background of the second picture of the airship at St-Hubert isn't Mont Royal, it's (I think) Mont St-Hillaire. Mont Royal is smack dab in the middle of Montreal and as you mention has a big honkin' cross on it.

Ohhhhhhhhhh. My Quebec geography isn't the best. I've only driven through there, and I have this memory of there being precisely one mountain in Quebec.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm a week late on mx chat, but a buddy of mine who was crew chief on hercs had the pleasure of seeing one get leading edge repairs with metal Coca-Cola signs in India, then flying in it over mountains back to Spain.
He also dropped an angry water buffalo out of the back of a Caribou at 8000 feet :v:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Spaced God posted:

He also dropped an angry water buffalo out of the back of a Caribou at 8000 feet :v:

Pleasepleaseplease let this be a euphemism for taking a dump because if so it is the finest I have ever heard.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
So this has some pretty cool poo poo: Aviation Week's 100 year archive :fap:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Airbus Drrrrriiiiiifffftuuuuuuuuuu :rice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8DTXHJF5tY

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Should be in flight training under "how not to crab"

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

holocaust bloopers posted:

My tinnitus is getting worse with every passing year. Just yesterday I was hit with three bouts of it. More often than not it was a minor irritation, but now the intensity can be so high that I have to just quit what I'm doing and grimace through it.

RAF Shackleton crews used to list 'permanent high-tone deafness' among their occupational hazards :psyduck:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It has been 4 days since drone chat. Crossposting in the RC thread.

I hope nobody lives in DC. The FAA just unilaterally updated a 1981 Advisory Circular and basically banned drones within 15 miles of Ronald Reagan airport. In the article I am linking it mentions it instantly destroys a great number of Model Aeroplane clubs (14) and tripled the size of the no fly zone.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2016/January/07/Drones-v-FAA?CMP=ADV:1

quote:

The nation’s second highest court now has two cases before it challenging recent actions taken by the FAA to regulate aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds and flown by hobbyists.

The legal tug of war between the FAA and enthusiasts (including the world’s largest model aircraft hobbyist organization) may be decided about 30 miles from the nearest place a hobbyist can legally fly a small unmanned aircraft, as of Sept. 2. That’s when the FAA expanded the Washington, D.C., no-drone zone far beyond its original size, which was bounded by the Flight Restricted Zone, extending up to 15 nautical miles from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.

The FAA notified the Academy of Model Aeronautics hours before updating a 1981 advisory circular on model aircraft rules to include new language that made the Washington, D.C., Special Flight Rules Area—covering everything within a 30-nm radius of the DCA VOR—a no-fly zone for model aircraft, or unmanned aircraft, terms that are defined inconsistently in various laws and regulations.

As a result, 14 AMA clubs were grounded in an instant by a single advisory circular, and the FAA added more than 2,000 square miles of Virginia and Maryland to the no-fly zone for drones, more than tripling its size.

AMA advised its members in December to comply with the September directive, noting that litigation was already underway, and that the organization was also negotiating with the FAA to resolve this particular impasse.

Good thing everybody registered, right?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Guess they'll all have to drive a little farther out of the city to get their toy airplane on.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Is the emphasis yours, Duke?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's a pretty dick move, regardless if you like the "hobby" or not. I understand nowhere near the airport or no fly zone around Arlington/DC (or any airport for that matter), but 30 miles seems more than a little extreme especially with zero consultation.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Keep in mind, this is the city where 1/3 of city streets are randomly closed at any given time by movable barriers, a line of black Suburbans, or D.C. Metro tracing a chalk outline.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And that's just when the Kennedys are in town!

Fredrick
Jan 20, 2008

BRU HU HA HA HA
Does anyone know what the F-104's canopy is made out of? The example tucked underneath the wing of the B-1 at the Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum in Denver has a heavily fractured canopy and I'm trying to figure out how difficult it is to make that happen after seeing a picture of the same aircraft from a few years ago, perfectly intact.

Also, F-104s are even tinier than everyone says. You don't really get a feel for it until you stand next to it and its tiny little stub wings.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

slidebite posted:

That's a pretty dick move, regardless if you like the "hobby" or not. I understand nowhere near the airport or no fly zone around Arlington/DC (or any airport for that matter), but 30 miles seems more than a little extreme especially with zero consultation.

30 Miles is the existing SFRA for airplanes. Nearly all of the SFRA is under class B airspace. Drones have no business in Class B airspace. Granted much of it starts at 2500 or 3500 feet, but I bet that's what their logic was for the decision.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

sanchez posted:

Granted much of it starts at 2500 or 3500 feet, but I bet that's what their logic was for the decision.

That seems important. An RC plane 100 feet up isn't a Cessna at 3000 feet.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Captain Apollo posted:

It has been 4 days since drone chat. Crossposting in the RC thread.

I hope nobody lives in DC. The FAA just unilaterally updated a 1981 Advisory Circular and basically banned drones within 15 miles of Ronald Reagan airport. In the article I am linking it mentions it instantly destroys a great number of Model Aeroplane clubs (14) and tripled the size of the no fly zone.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2016/January/07/Drones-v-FAA?CMP=ADV:1

Good thing everybody registered, right?

Drones were already banned within 15 miles of the airport; this expands the area to 30 miles, the same as for manned aircraft.

Once again, the unmanned/drone community responds to concerns about the growing sophistication, performance, and complexity of their aircraft by saying, "hey, we are every bit as responsible as pilots of manned aircraft," then screaming bloody murder when asked to take on a tiny fraction of the responsibility of actual pilots, such as avoiding restricted airspace.

There's plenty of reason to oppose the general "anywhere even vaguely close to DC is a special snowflake zone which no aircraft may enter without special permission, because national security" rules. But, the appropriate thing to do in that case is to challenge the justification for closed airspace, not complain that you're being held to the same rules as everybody else.

And, yes, registration in this case would be a good thing. If you're registered, the FAA knows how to get in touch with you and let you know about the restriction! That's a good thing, unless you're deliberately planning to violate the law and don't want to get caught.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sanchez posted:

Drones have no business in Class B airspace.

That's cute and all, but this isn't just about the drunz anymore. 14 AMA clubs legally operating within the DC metro area for 30 years got shut down overnight because of federal overreach and reactionist policies. You're okay with that? I mean, kids with model airplanes can't even go to a model airplane gathering on a sunday afternoon to fly their Sig Kadet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

And that's just when the Kennedys are in town!

How do you draw a chalk outline underwater?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Space Gopher posted:

If you're registered, the FAA knows how to get in touch with you and let you know about the restriction!

Yeah, because that's what happens. That's why everybody is aware of flight restrictions and nobody ever violates them!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Captain Apollo posted:

That's cute and all, but this isn't just about the drunz anymore. 14 AMA clubs legally operating within the DC metro area for 30 years got shut down overnight because of federal overreach and reactionist policies. You're okay with that? I mean, kids with model airplanes can't even go to a model airplane gathering on a sunday afternoon to fly their Sig Kadet.

Tell those kids to be real pilots with real airplanes then :colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mlmp08 posted:

Tell those kids to be real pilots with real airplanes then :colbert:

You of all people should be able to get behind the obvious solution to the drone menace:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

As with most fun things, responsible hobbyists are being shafted because idiots fly their drones near airports at altitudes that are sometimes pretty impressive from a technology standpoint.

The alternative would be relying on everyone interpreting and following a chart showing altitude restrictions. Licensed pilots fail at this all the time, the general public have no hope.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Captain Apollo posted:

So, uh, were those clubs full of crying kids actually shut down (presumably by jackbooted thugs kicking down the door) or did they just get a notice saying that they'd need to drive a few more miles to fly their toys?

Again, I'm not arguing that the airspace restriction is reasonable - I'm just saying that your argument that unmanned systems should keep the special snowflake status they've had by literally and figuratively flying below the radar before hobby drones became a thing isn't a good one.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Space Gopher posted:

So, uh, were those clubs full of crying kids actually shut down (presumably by jackbooted thugs kicking down the door) or did they just get a notice saying that they'd need to drive a few more miles to fly their toys?

Again, I'm not arguing that the airspace restriction is reasonable - I'm just saying that your argument that unmanned systems should keep the special snowflake status they've had by literally and figuratively flying below the radar before hobby drones became a thing isn't a good one.

Soon we can all just drive to Nevada to fly our toys!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

Soon we can all just drive to Nevada to fly our toys!

Beware the actual Soviet SAM hardware out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Space Gopher posted:

The DC area is a clusterfuck of post 9/11 stupid ideas, I see no reason that airspace shouldn't follow suit.

E:

Godholio posted:

Beware the actual Soviet SAM hardware out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyAn3fSs8_A

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 13, 2016