Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

TommyGun85 posted:

but that means I wont be able to replenish my EP.

I did every quest in the game, and still had to sleep for four days straight to progress, and I was being pretty inefficient with my usage of Chronostasis. The timer is a complete 100% non-issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Unless you actively sit around consciously killing every monster you come across, no it doesn't. That's not mentioning that human creatures (Anubis, Set, etc.) can't become extinct, the Meonekton's have 60k+ monsters before they are wiped out, and if you get to the point where you can wipe out everything you don't need to worry about EP because you've basically gotten strong enough to beat most of the optional content in the game. EP is not a problem in this game unless you are actively going out of your way to kill everything.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyfGm6wXgs

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

TommyGun85 posted:

so im playing LR, on day 3.

Is it possible im trying to do too much in each day by always using chronostasis and the killing enemies to replenish my EP to the point that they are becoming extinct which will screw me on later days?

Let me guess, you're in the Wildlands? It's pretty easy to make some of the monsters there go extinct. If you're concerned, just dodge the monsters if you're close to topped up on EP. But honestly it shouldn't be an issue, outside of the forest area and the flans. There are a bunch of other monsters that show up in various areas of the Wildlands.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Let me guess, you're in the Wildlands? It's pretty easy to make some of the monsters there go extinct. If you're concerned, just dodge the monsters if you're close to topped up on EP. But honestly it shouldn't be an issue, outside of the forest area and the flans. There are a bunch of other monsters that show up in various areas of the Wildlands.

ya speaking of wildlands, I cured the stupid chocobo and it said I should now be able to get to unreachable areas but I still cant reach the crash site

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

ya speaking of wildlands, I cured the stupid chocobo and it said I should now be able to get to unreachable areas but I still cant reach the crash site

Once it's healed enough that the bandages come off, you can hold the jump button to glide.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

I'm curious. Are there other games like Final Fantasy Tactics out there? Something with the same or similar mechanics? I'm digging through RPG lists and I'm just not familiar enough with all the franchises.

I keep up with gaming news but I don't recall seeing anything like FFT (though there was something about a kick starter game?) and nothing has really caught my eye lately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drighton posted:

I'm curious. Are there other games like Final Fantasy Tactics out there? Something with the same or similar mechanics? I'm digging through RPG lists and I'm just not familiar enough with all the franchises.
There's an entire genre.

Of course if you want the exact same game you'll have to go to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/FFTA2, and those have their own problems.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drighton posted:

On PSP there's J'eanne D'arc and Tactics Ogre. PSP emulation has come a long way.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Endorph posted:

There's an entire genre.

Of course if you want the exact same game you'll have to go to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance/FFTA2, and those have their own problems.

No not looking for the same game. Just similar mechanics and a fresh take. Thanks that gives me something to check out. Hope there is a good one for PC.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you want a recent turn-based strategy game, Valkyria Chronicles came out a few days ago and the port is so generous that potatos can run it perfectly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drighton posted:

Hope there is a good one for PC.

Not really, unless you look at XCOM or Valkyria Chronicles.

Or, God fuckin' help your soul, Agarest War. Don't play Agarest War.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drighton posted:

I keep up with gaming news but I don't recall seeing anything like FFT (though there was something about a kick starter game?) and nothing has really caught my eye lately.

The closest thing I have found to FFT in heart is Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP. This is the SA thread - lots of good information here.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Is that Mega64 himself in the flesh?

...did they lose a bet or something?

Endorph posted:

There's an entire genre.

Advance and Advance two are so different from the original tactics, though. They don't have charge times or the JP system, also spells not having charge times to mess around with is lame.

I really wish there were more games with the original Tactics turn system, it was totally rad.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 14, 2014

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Tae posted:

If you want a recent turn-based strategy game, Valkyria Chronicles came out a few days ago and the port is so generous that potatos can run it perfectly.

Excellent! queued in Steam now. Looks like I've got a lot to catch up with and a new genre to keep my eye on.

It looks a bit broad though. Some sites are cataloging Civ in it.

Apologies for going off topic in the Ff thread. Thanks folks!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fire Emblem is the best srpg, although also one of the least like fft in the genre

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Fire Emblem is the best srpg, although also one of the least like fft in the genre
the best and also least like fft is soul nomad, actually

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

the best and also least like fft is soul nomad, actually

soul nomad is pretty cool

e: oh right that's where endorph is from. anyway i liked going around stealing from and fighting and recruiting village people

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

soul nomad is pretty cool
gently caress you!!!

also there's not many SRPGs on PC, since they're mostly a japanese genre and the japanese PC scene, is, uh, a work in progress. Valkyria Chronicles/X-Com are fun but only loosely RPG.

There's stuff out there if you're willing to look into emulation, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

gently caress you!!!

i didn't even insult it, i said i liked it?!?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Drighton posted:

Excellent! queued in Steam now. Looks like I've got a lot to catch up with and a new genre to keep my eye on.

It looks a bit broad though. Some sites are cataloging Civ in it.

Apologies for going off topic in the Ff thread. Thanks folks!

You need to narrow it down to Turn-based, strategy, AND RPG because there are games like Civ, Tropica, etc. that are way different than what you're looking for and are their own sub-genre.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or, God fuckin' help your soul, Agarest War. Don't play Agarest War.

Agarest is an srpg where you romance anime girls over five generation, like fire emblem with three more gens, which sounds like my poo poo

it's a shame really

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

Agarest is an srpg where you romance anime girls over five generation, like fire emblem with three more gens, which sounds like my poo poo

it's a shame really

Yeah, not gonna lie, all I heard about Agarest was 'you choose one of three girls to have your kid and you get to play as your kid later on!' and I am totally down with that.

I didn't know. Oh god I didn't know.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

it's a shame really

The generations idea is a really good one, but pretty much everything since Phantasy Star III has squandered it hardcore. I guess FE:A did it mostly right, but only one generation.

There's Massive Chalice, too, but...Double Fine..

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
What's wrong with Double Fine?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
All talk and no substance?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

That whole thing with Spacebase and how Broken Age has been going has people upset, but Massive Chalice looks like it's going to be cool

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's a game in early access that still needs money and time to finish which are two things that Double fine has Routinely shown it is incapable of managing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's a game in early access that still needs money and time to finish which are two things that Double fine has Routinely shown it is incapable of managing.

Pretty much. They're a creative lot, but tend to..not exactly follow through. And Tim Schafer can't really budget his way out of a paper bag.

Still, Brad Miur is in charge of MC, I think.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cake Attack posted:

it's a shame really

Agarest is a game that seems really cool. And it's really really really bad. It's not like it didn't have the potential to NOT suck, it's just that it does suck. Best forget it and try to pretend it doesn't exist.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Onmi posted:

Agarest is a game that seems really cool. And it's really really really bad. It's not like it didn't have the potential to NOT suck, it's just that it does suck. Best forget it and try to pretend it doesn't exist.

whats so terrible about it?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TommyGun85 posted:

It's most known for the terrible anime fanservice (IIRC the steam preorder bonus was a bodypillow). I'm sure the gameplay is bad too because otherwise it would have at least some fans.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 14, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the systems are exceptionally overconvoluted and grindy, and the writing is super bad

like i know we all have our fun time laughs at final fantasy writing, but my god. i hardly have exacting tastes and it was all i could to keep my eyes on the screen whenever they were talking

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the fanservice isnt even that bad. like its there and its dumb but it's not the worst about that

what makes it bad is gigantic amounts of grinding and completely weird game balance

still not the worst game ever like some people act like it is though.

edit: also the writing in agarest is extremely bad but the gen with the two foppish kids is the best

"We truly are unequaled, aren't we?"
"We are indeed, brother."

*10+ characters including characters who aren't even there and the giant plant monster get a '...' dialogue box*

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

honestly the fanservice isnt even that bad. like its there and its dumb but it's not the worst about that

what makes it bad is gigantic amounts of grinding and completely weird game balance

still not the worst game ever like some people act like it is though.

you're right, it's not the worst game ever

after all, it's not soul nomad :twisted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

The gameplay is bad and slow and has next to no animation, the bust-ups for story segments are constantly heavy breathing so you can see the girls' chests move endlessly and

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that is an extremely large piece of meat

id struggle with it too

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

kirbysuperstar posted:

The gameplay is bad and slow and has next to no animation, the bust-ups for story segments are constantly heavy breathing so you can see the girls' chests move endlessly and

Ganbatte, Yayoi-Chan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Ganbatte, Yayoi-Chan!