Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

This would be cool. I'd love a 4x4, non-2000 point tournament.

The reason you can't have big tournaments like this for 40k is the terrain. Buying, building, storing and painting terrain is a huge pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mikey Purp posted:

So I'm inexorably sliding down the slippery slope that is wargaming, and I'm considering giving 40k a try. I've heard the new edition simplifies things in a good way and makes it more approachable, but I haven't actually reviewed the rules yet. Anyway, is there anywhere I can go to get a general sense of how each army plays? It's kind of a big investment to get started on 40k (compounded by the fact that neither of the armies in the starter box really appeal to me aesthetically) and GW has pretty much nothing aside from fluff on their site.

While its normal pages are of debatable quality, the 1d4chan Tactics pages are generally pretty solid, and so long as you run any decisions by this thread/an experienced friend you should be fine.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics(8E)
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Thousand_Sons(8E)

quote:

Side question: I really like the look and lore of the Thousand Sons, but it sucks that they don't have a Start Collecting box. I also have no idea if psyker ability is actually any good in the game. Are they a viable army, and if so what would be a good list to build a new army? Is this stuff I could find cheap on eBay? Also, could I combine Thousand Sons units with the vanilla Chaos Space Marines start collecting box to save some $$, and still have something that plays well?

Chaos psykers are really good right now, in part because they have access to one of the cheapest troop units in the edition (Chaos Cultists, 4 points/model, characters cant be shot if they aren't the closest unit) and by relation 1k Sons are doing fine. You can mix Chaos just fine (no clue personally if straightforward CSM are good right now though, but there's more than enough units you could convert them into), either via Chaos Undivided or by keeping 1ksons and CSM in different detachments.

E: also, while the 1d4chan page says you can take as many detachments as you want (technically true, there's no rules limiting detachments), GW has "suggested" a max of 3, which tourneys use as a rule, which usually filters down to the game stores holding/near the tournament, talk to your regulars at your local store to find out what the situation is.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 17, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TKIY posted:

The reason you can't have big tournaments like this for 40k is the terrain. Buying, building, storing and painting terrain is a huge pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I used to have enough terrain for about 30-40 boards with good coverage, and it was a huge pain in the rear end. When I bought a house with my wife we were never gonna have the storage for it and I ended up just giving it to my local store basically for free, because that was easier for me than trying to manage it in the limited amount of space I had available.

Incidentally, the LGT guys have been building and painting their terrain starting last week for (at minimum) a 440 player 40k tournament, and I guess for the AoS and other systems as well. It's an insane thing to me, but who am I to judge.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Corrode posted:

Tried out my Necron scheme on a Warrior today. Here he is next to his Immortal buddy:

I know the green plastic rods are kinda dumb but I like them as a retro thing from when Necrons were released when I was a kid. I didn't glue it, so if I decide they suck I can always pop it out again. Really looking forward to getting my backlog cleared out so I can crack into my Necrons properly.

Looks good, and if you kept the gauss blasters from the Immortals kit they fit really easily into the gauss flayer with a bit of trimming should you decide to lose the green rods.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Robin William's daughter is going through her dad's old robot toys and asking twitter to help identify them

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/996508862076211200

https://twitter.com/zeldawilliams/status/996509292210438144

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
He apparently knew blending techniques, but not blending paint with water :v:

(Unless old titans were just that lumpy)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Robin William's daughter is going through her dad's old robot toys and asking twitter to help identify them

That's gotta be a rough thing to do, but i imagine also pretty cathartic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

Yeah, I used to have enough terrain for about 30-40 boards with good coverage, and it was a huge pain in the rear end. When I bought a house with my wife we were never gonna have the storage for it and I ended up just giving it to my local store basically for free, because that was easier for me than trying to manage it in the limited amount of space I had available.

Incidentally, the LGT guys have been building and painting their terrain starting last week for (at minimum) a 440 player 40k tournament, and I guess for the AoS and other systems as well. It's an insane thing to me, but who am I to judge.

NOVA is doing the same thing. Every year they spend several weekends maintaining and rebuilding terrain.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Harlequin warlord trait:

Same chance to succeed as the 6+ cp farm of other warlords but with higher upside. However can only farm from enemy use of CP.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Harlequin warlord trait:

Same chance to succeed as the 6+ cp farm of other warlords but with higher upside. However can only farm from enemy use of CP.

Which is likely to be a hell of a lot given the recent boosts to CP. I like that trait a lot. It's dumb but fun.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Neurolimal posted:

He apparently knew blending techniques, but not blending paint with water :v:

(Unless old titans were just that lumpy)

The man was no Rod Stewart, but who is?

(The old Armourcast titans were pretty lumpy.)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I have some of those same 2-green-rod Not!warrior Immortals. I'd throw some your way if you want to swap some mans--I have a truly silly stock of Space Egypt Terminators.

The only things I have are CSMs/Khorne Daemons, some still-on-sprue Scouts, a little bit of AdMech stuff, and a little bit of Orks (mostly old vehicles). If any of that sounds like stuff you'd want hit me up at technowolf (dot) sdp (at) gmail (dot) com.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

moths posted:

The man was no Rod Stewart, but who is?

(The old Armourcast titans were pretty lumpy.)

I'l give Mr. Williams the benefit of a doubt then, since his fires are nice.

Speaking of titans, the HeresyLab guy literally just posted an update on a titan he's working on:

At 25cm it's not to scale with 40k or Titanicus (he was working on it before Titanicus was announced) so I'm not sure if it has any use stock, but I imagine it could be very useful for some Sisters army armor kitbashing.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Harlequin warlord trait:

Can you go above your starting CP if you gain some from your opponent this way?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Fuegan posted:

Looks good, and if you kept the gauss blasters from the Immortals kit they fit really easily into the gauss flayer with a bit of trimming should you decide to lose the green rods.

Thanks. I'm an obsessive bitz hoarder (and now finally an organised one too) so that's definitely on the table.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

NOVA is doing the same thing. Every year they spend several weekends maintaining and rebuilding terrain.

Literally minutes after I posted that, my friend linked a video of the organisers admitting they haven't finished the terrain and there's going to be a ton of unpainted stuff on the tables, to which their solution is dishing out the terrain they painted last year (for a 100 man event) and letting you swap that on if you want to. It's loving ridiculous.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

Can you go above your starting CP if you gain some from your opponent this way?

Yes.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

Welp, that confirms the rumor my friend who worked for GW told me once.

He also said Billy Crystal had a hebrew night goblin army for WHFB.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

So I'm inexorably sliding down the slippery slope that is wargaming, and I'm considering giving 40k a try. I've heard the new edition simplifies things in a good way and makes it more approachable, but I haven't actually reviewed the rules yet. Anyway, is there anywhere I can go to get a general sense of how each army plays? It's kind of a big investment to get started on 40k (compounded by the fact that neither of the armies in the starter box really appeal to me aesthetically) and GW has pretty much nothing aside from fluff on their site.

Side question: I really like the look and lore of the Thousand Sons, but it sucks that they don't have a Start Collecting box. I also have no idea if psyker ability is actually any good in the game. Are they a viable army, and if so what would be a good list to build a new army? Is this stuff I could find cheap on eBay? Also, could I combine Thousand Sons units with the vanilla Chaos Space Marines start collecting box to save some $$, and still have something that plays well?

I'm the wrong person to ask about 40k armies at full size, but I'm really excited about the new kill team rules coming out soon. They should allow for pretty good games with only a SC set or couple boxes. I've got some cheap MDF terrain ready to go for it.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

Thanks. I'm an obsessive bitz hoarder (and now finally an organised one too) so that's definitely on the table.

Literally minutes after I posted that, my friend linked a video of the organisers admitting they haven't finished the terrain and there's going to be a ton of unpainted stuff on the tables, to which their solution is dishing out the terrain they painted last year (for a 100 man event) and letting you swap that on if you want to. It's loving ridiculous.

Like...yeah i saw their first vlogs a week ago and my instinct (from years of being involved in coordinating set up etc. at larp events, which is at least an adjacent skill space) was to think “how on earth are you even slightly going to finish this?” but i naively assumed they had a plan and i was just being a pessimist.

If i had to guess, they didn’t factor in the amount of logistical “friction” involved in scaling up a process that’s super quick for a few iterations to several hundred.

Ah well. Looking forward to arguments about whether to use the old terrain.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

One_Wing posted:

Like...yeah i saw their first vlogs a week ago and my instinct (from years of being involved in coordinating set up etc. at larp events, which is at least an adjacent skill space) was to think “how on earth are you even slightly going to finish this?” but i naively assumed they had a plan and i was just being a pessimist.

If i had to guess, they didn’t factor in the amount of logistical “friction” involved in scaling up a process that’s super quick for a few iterations to several hundred.

Ah well. Looking forward to arguments about whether to use the old terrain.

Yeah, even doing it full time like they seem to have been, it didn't seem viable. And so here we are. I don't think it's the first time they've had a major logistical gently caress-up, either. They really need to involve someone with a better skillset for this kind of organisation if they're going to insist on running at this scale.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I'm still new to the scene, so can someone explain to me what the relationship is between Games Workshop, Citadel, Forge World, and Warhammer 40k?

Like, are Citadel and Forge World two different subsidiary companies of GW, or are they just GW's brands for different products? Are Citadel/Forge World external companies with licenses to produce minis for 40k? Why have entirely separate entities making miniatures for 40k?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

I'm still new to the scene, so can someone explain to me what the relationship is between Games Workshop, Citadel, Forge World, and Warhammer 40k?

Like, are Citadel and Forge World two different subsidiary companies of GW, or are they just GW's brands for different products? Are Citadel/Forge World external companies with licenses to produce minis for 40k? Why have entirely separate entities making miniatures for 40k?

GW is the parent company. Citadel miniatures produces the plastic, metal and finecast models for 40k, AOS, etc, and the paint line. Forgeworld produces more specialized resin miniatures. They're separate from GW because they always have been, which means they have nearly no organization or long term plan, and haven't benefited from GWs improved communication over the last few years. They tend to just produce whatever the sculptors feel like making.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Booley posted:

GW is the parent company. Citadel miniatures produces the plastic, metal and finecast models for 40k, AOS, etc, and the paint line. Forgeworld produces more specialized resin miniatures. They're separate from GW because they always have been, which means they have nearly no organization or long term plan, and haven't benefited from GWs improved communication over the last few years. They tend to just produce whatever the sculptors feel like making.

Okay, that clears things up. Also explains why FW seems so disconnected from everything.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

He also said Billy Crystal had a hebrew night goblin army for WHFB.

Holy poo poo I hope this is true and I want to see it.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Corrode posted:

Yeah, even doing it full time like they seem to have been, it didn't seem viable. And so here we are. I don't think it's the first time they've had a major logistical gently caress-up, either. They really need to involve someone with a better skillset for this kind of organisation if they're going to insist on running at this scale.

It seems to be relatively common among geeks organising events to not always recognise that project management and logistics are learned skills that you can’t automatically “just do” because you’re smart and enthusiastic, and yes it really can be worth hiring someone just to do that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Booley posted:

They really need to get Forgeworld under control. Even 30k players seem pretty unhappy with their nonsensical release schedule.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

They really need to get Forgeworld under control. Even 30k players seem pretty unhappy with their nonsensical release schedule.

Well, that and what was by most accounts breaking the game with their Custodes releases

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

That sucks. If they can't handle the logistics they shouldn't be running something that size.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Maybe I missed something, but I'm still not entirely sure why they shelved all their old terrain and decided "let's paint up tables worth of stuff in a week!". Was it rotting, falling apart, smelled funny, etc?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One_Wing posted:

It seems to be relatively common among geeks organising events to not always recognise that project management and logistics are learned skills that you can’t automatically “just do” because you’re smart and enthusiastic, and yes it really can be worth hiring someone just to do that.

Dunning-Kruger at work. It takes a ton of planning, execution, and effort to run any kind of major event and most people assume they can wing it. It gets even more difficult when you take into account the challenges of working with volunteers.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Dunning-Kruger at work. It takes a ton of planning, execution, and effort to run any kind of major event and most people assume they can wing it. It gets even more difficult when you take into account the challenges of working with volunteers.

It's pretty weird how many genuinely smart individuals fail to realize that specialized knowledge =/= supergenius that is good at everything.

(especially engineers)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm one of them. An entire year of custodes was pretty bad, and now they're delaying fires of cyraxus (containing admech models that weren't in an index because fires was supposed to come out very soon) for even more custodes. I'm hoping that the GW mothership forcing them to remove product lines like legion torsos and paints (even though i really like the paints) is indicative of more leadership and direction.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Pendent posted:

Well, that and what was by most accounts breaking the game with their Custodes releases

I feel like this will kind of be a :can: sort of question, but since I don't play 30k, what do custodes do there that breaks the game?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mef989 posted:

I feel like this will kind of be a :can: sort of question, but since I don't play 30k, what do custodes do there that breaks the game?

I don't follow 30k closely enough to be able to give details but complaints about Custodes in that game are incredibly common. I think they're just really powerful compared to what had previously been a pretty balanced game.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Custodes are a finely honed anti Marine army with rules and wargear designed specifically and cheaply to stop their counters in the most frustrating way possible.

Funnily enough they aren’t even the most busted thing in the book and definitely aren’t the most busted army in the game. But Burning of Prospero gave people an easy in to playing them and lots of Legions and Rites of War don’t give you the tools to handle them.

On top of this they received a year worth of releases in a stretch where lots of Legions are still missing their special units and in some cases a lot of their rules.

panascope fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 18, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's pretty cool

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It doesn't help that Custodes are pretty lame

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It does mesh rather well with that slew of extremely orky rumour engine posts.

Anyone else want to pledge to eat an item of clothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

It doesn't help that Custodes are pretty lame

Yeah they look stupid and I'm sad that Rogal Dorn wears gold and not his chapter colors. They're like that Goldar from Power Rangers