Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

me, this month, as well, USD

Me this month as well, but I had a five-dollar coupon on mtgmintcard. It sucks rebuying Modern staples I used to have in my first collection.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lol, french WotC site has Jace back on the ban list for an article tomorrow

https://magic.wizards.com/fr/game-info/gameplay/formats/modern

Probably some kind of copy/paste error but BBE isn't on there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

Me this month as well, but I had a five-dollar coupon on mtgmintcard. It sucks rebuying Modern staples I used to have in my first collection.

Me this month and a box of M25

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

AceClown posted:

Lol I hope this is true.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Speaking of buying cards, today I got a late shipment from an eBay seller. Cards are fine, but they marked the order as shipped as soon as I made the purchase but didn't send them until a week later. The tracking on USPS's website was delayed for a while, but I got my cards today and the seller sent them inside of a piece of cardboard that they wrapped around the cards and eBay receipt, put the shipping label on, and then caked it in packing tape.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Star Man posted:

Speaking of buying cards, today I got a late shipment from an eBay seller. Cards are fine, but they marked the order as shipped as soon as I made the purchase but didn't send them until a week later. The tracking on USPS's website was delayed for a while, but I got my cards today and the seller sent them inside of a piece of cardboard that they wrapped around the cards and eBay receipt, put the shipping label on, and then caked it in packing tape.

Wait, they didn't use an actual mailer?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, they didn't use an actual mailer?

Nope. They folded a piece of cardboard from a box in half, put all three cards in their own top loaders inside, taped the shipping label on one side, and then wrapped the whole thing up in packing tape.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Star Man posted:

Nope. They folded a piece of cardboard from a box in half, put all three cards in their own top loaders inside, taped the shipping label on one side, and then wrapped the whole thing up in packing tape.

Wow, that's...ridiculous.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, that's...ridiculous.

It did what it needed to do. The cards were fine because they were each in their own too loader with tape to seal them.

My guess is that the seller is trying to recycle. I left neutral feedback because what the gently caress, but the goods were undamaged.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

AceClown posted:

If he was on there, he wasn't on for long.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mikujin posted:

If he was on there, he wasn't on for long.

I saw it too after Ace posted it, he's not lying... this time

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
unban punishing fire

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I just spent about 150 CAD on cards to finish decks and I feel dumb

Me, this month, on a Japanese foil Karakas probably. Or maybe 2.

I don't care if my deck is unplayable, it's going to be the prettiest unplayable deck around.

Star Man posted:

I got a playset of Russian foil Scavenging Oozes once from Russia in a PWE in one loader, over a month late. They were ok somehow but they definitely did not get positive feedback. Every other interaction I've had with her has been great though so :shrug:

myDad posted:

unban punishing fire

You're right, Jund isn't good enough and neither is Tron.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You guys should've taken a screenshot so you could cause a panic sell.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

You guys should've taken a screenshot so you could cause a panic sell.

Holy poo poo you're right haha.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There was a discussion a while back about deck storage/transportation solutions and I was wondering if anyone remembered what the suggestions were?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Some Numbers posted:

There was a discussion a while back about deck storage/transportation solutions and I was wondering if anyone remembered what the suggestions were?

Get a god drat backpack you nerds.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I have a messenger bag with a bunch of deckboxes and a playmat rolled up in the folder sleeve.

It's that simple guys.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Me, this month, on a Japanese foil Karakas probably. Or maybe 2.

I don't care if my deck is unplayable, it's going to be the prettiest unplayable deck around.

:same:

I'm trying to get a playset of foil Wastelands right now, the new printing from EMA, because I hate City of BrASS from when I first started playing magic. Also I'm debating on getting a Judge Promo Karakas, so far I'm using original English, original Italian, and regular English EMA for my deck. Each of my plains is a different full foil full art.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

:same:

I'm trying to get a playset of foil Wastelands right now, the new printing from EMA, because I hate City of BrASS from when I first started playing magic. Also I'm debating on getting a Judge Promo Karakas, so far I'm using original English, original Italian, and regular English EMA for my deck. Each of my plains is a different full foil full art.

I wish imgur worked

:smuggo:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think you meant this:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Yeah I would've gotten those Aether Vials if they existed when I first built the deck, I have the FtV ones, they actually look pretty nice. I'll take a picture when I get home later of my monstrosity.

That's a very sexy bolt though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Click the share icon on your phone, then look for "Copy to Clipboard." Awful will insert the url when you select the bb code to insert an image. Just add .jpg at the end and you'll be good.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Some Numbers posted:

Somebody recommended the TImbuk2 Classic Messenger Medium, and it was a pro purchase. So well made, do not regret buying it at all even though it wasn't cheap.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So to continue with my journal of an old goon that is trying to play Magic again, I've been playing a lot of standard lately and it seems to be more my speed. i even sneak the occasional win in.

Also, I can't believe how badly WOTC bungled their 25th anniversary set. 25 years is a big deal. A25 should have focused more on old stuff. If they made updated, balanced versions of some of their more iconic but now outdated cards it would have been great. I'd be throwing money at them for "Reborn" versions of Mahamoti Djinn, Serra Angel, Force of Nature, Nightmare, etc. in a form that could actually be played in today's game and not get laughed at.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

So to continue with my journal of an old goon that is trying to play Magic again, I've been playing a lot of standard lately and it seems to be more my speed. i even sneak the occasional win in.

Also, I can't believe how badly WOTC bungled their 25th anniversary set. 25 years is a big deal. A25 should have focused more on old stuff. If they made updated, balanced versions of some of their more iconic but now outdated cards it would have been great. I'd be throwing money at them for "Reborn" versions of Mahamoti Djinn, Serra Angel, Force of Nature, Nightmare, etc. in a form that could actually be played in today's game and not get laughed at.

What have you been playing in standard? Anything you particularly like or don't like to see? Agreed the 25th anniversary set seems to be a failure by all counts :/

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Does any one here play Grixis Energy for Standard and can weigh in Doomfall. I see list moving this direction, but it seems kind of a sloppy way to deal with Carny T.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

myDad posted:

What have you been playing in standard? Anything you particularly like or don't like to see? Agreed the 25th anniversary set seems to be a failure by all counts :/

I have a Merfolk/Poor Man's Jace deck and GR Dinosaur deck that I have way too much fun with. I'm sure they are not really good by any stretch of the imagination, but a step in the right direction. As for what I like or don't like seeing, I don't know the archetypes well enough yet to really even know what I'm playing. But the decks in standard don't seem quite so specialized and lethal compared to modern and legacy, which makes total sense. I'm sure there's some pretty vicious standard decks out there, though.

I'm slowly learning to get over my initial disdain for combo decks. Still I catch myself thinking "that's so cheap!' when i get one-turn killed by Painter's Servant and Grindstone or dredged. Like that article I linked said, those types of decks didn't even exist yet when I stopped playing regularly.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

Click the share icon on your phone, then look for "Copy to Clipboard." Awful will insert the url when you select the bb code to insert an image. Just add .jpg at the end and you'll be good.

Ah, thanks. I (obviously) missed that the extension wasn't included for some reason. That also explains why it worked on my desktop, where I just copy the BBCode text.

Here's the whole thing:

And my extremely experimental sideboard:

Of note: the Dire Fleet Daredevil is Russian now, the 2nd Spyglass has become a shameful English Celestial Crusader, and the Pontiff has become a flex slot depending on if I'm playing Deathrite Tuesdays or Chalice Fridays. On Fridays I play the 2 Act of Authority and a Hammer Mage. On Tuesdays it's an Alpha REB, Mirran Crusader, and the Pontiff.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

I have a Merfolk/Poor Man's Jace deck and GR Dinosaur deck that I have way too much fun with. I'm sure they are not really good by any stretch of the imagination, but a step in the right direction. As for what I like or don't like seeing, I don't know the archetypes well enough yet to really even know what I'm playing. But the decks in standard don't seem quite so specialized and lethal compared to modern and legacy, which makes total sense. I'm sure there's some pretty vicious standard decks out there, though.

I'm slowly learning to get over my initial disdain for combo decks. Still I catch myself thinking "that's so cheap!' when i get one-turn killed by Painter's Servant and Grindstone or dredged. Like that article I linked said, those types of decks didn't even exist yet when I stopped playing regularly.

Sounds good. GR monsters is supposed to be pretty strong and probably scratching that itch for 4+ cmc creatures you're familiar with. I know there's some powerful control cards in standard at the moment and I've seen UB in particular doing well, but it really is as open as you say. Before the rotation there was little variety in the top decks, you chose a perfect time to get into standard.

One of my first constructed decks (bought singles and everything!) was Ad Nauseam in modern, and people would occasionally get real upset at FNM.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

It's supposed to celebrate all 25 years, not just the first one.

All those cards you named have been reprinted in the new border (though Force only in white, unless you get a foil version). Serra Angel and Nightmare are both legal in standard THIS VERY SECOND, but they will definitely get you laughed at, because they loving suck.

There's already a WW3 four power vigilance flying angel in Standard. So there you go, unless you're just addicted to the word Serra on a Magic card, in which case, maybe you'll get lucky in Dominaria.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lone Goat posted:

It's supposed to celebrate all 25 years, not just the first one.

All those cards you named have been reprinted in the new border (though Force only in white, unless you get a foil version). Serra Angel and Nightmare are both legal in standard THIS VERY SECOND, but they will definitely get you laughed at, because they loving suck.

There's already a WW3 four power vigilance flying angel in Standard. So there you go, unless you're just addicted to the word Serra on a Magic card, in which case, maybe you'll get lucky in Dominaria.

They have one in Dominaria that is basically just Baneslayer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
there's also poo poo named serra in dominaria, so theres yer nostalgia flavor

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Nope. It should have pandered to old school nostalgia and it didn’t.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/940-cards-2018-03-19

is there any cards here from the goon who was in gds

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Last Vestiges of Sanity: definitely a colourshifted Timetwister, and definitely not a Wheel of Fortune variant.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

myDad posted:

Sounds good. GR monsters is supposed to be pretty strong and probably scratching that itch for 4+ cmc creatures you're familiar with. I know there's some powerful control cards in standard at the moment and I've seen UB in particular doing well, but it really is as open as you say. Before the rotation there was little variety in the top decks, you chose a perfect time to get into standard.

One of my first constructed decks (bought singles and everything!) was Ad Nauseam in modern, and people would occasionally get real upset at FNM.

Its so wide that a temur energy list won a pptq the other day... somewhow.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cards I liked:

Farsight Counsel (rare) – design by Thomas Baker
4UB
Sorcery
Draw a card.
You may cast Farsight Counsel from outside the game.
(You must own Farsight Counsel in order to cast it from outside the game.)

Lineage and Succession (rare) – design by Vick Yao
1BG
Enchantment
Each creature you control gets +1/+1 for each card in your graveyard that has the same name as that creature.
At the beginning of your end step, you may sacrifice a creature. If you do, search your library for a creature card with the same name and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

Last Vestiges of Sanity: definitely a colourshifted Timetwister, and definitely not a Wheel of Fortune variant.

It's a non-broken Memory Jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Some Numbers posted:

Timbuk2 classic messenger bag
2 x ultimate guard 400+ Archives
Boulder deck boxes of whichever size is best for you. I double sleeve so 100s are needed.