Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Name on the outside doesn't help, anyone who watches AvE knows that. All tools are total poo poo these days. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Makes me glad I bought a Ryobi one instead...

Any cheap Chinese grinder could do that...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Makes me glad I bought a Ryobi one instead...

Likely made in the same factory except green/black pellets instead of ugly maroon are loaded into the injection molds. I've been noticing a lot of HF tools are identical to the stuff sold at Lowe's/HD except the colors are different. Close quarters drills being the ones that stand out the most as identical.

For example: HF close quarters drill, $29.99 before coupons
https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-variable-speed-reversible-close-quarters-drill-60610.html

Home depot Genesis right angle drill, $37.00
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genesis-3-5-Amp-Corded-3-8-in-Right-Angle-Drill-GCQD38A/204371970

\/ \/ I dont' get it? Every one I've ever used has an on/off switch. You would prefer a trigger?

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 28, 2018

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

seriously, a fuckign angle grinder with an on/off switch jesus loving christ

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

dewalt invented the perfect safety paddle-switch like 20 years ago

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sandoz posted:

nah it's probably got a normal switch but if you lay it on it's backside it probably has enough weight to keep the button on

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Also, whole lotta furry avs in those replies

Welcome to every twitter thread everywhere.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BraveUlysses posted:

nah it's probably got a normal switch but if you lay it on it's backside it probably has enough weight to keep the button on

I own that grinder. It's got a sliding switch that latches into place (the yellow switch visible in the video).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For the Eurogoons: I went into a Lidl grocery shop and they apparently stock their own brand (Parkside) tools. So cheap that I almost want to try one for the fun of it. Anyone had a go at one?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

sandoz posted:

Mine has a way to lock the trigger/switch on so it's basically the same deal

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That smoke at the end is something that Hollywood can only dream of for special effects.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hollywood knows that kind of smoke exists, they just don't use it because it gives their cast and crew cancer and unions tend to have a problem with that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

For the Eurogoons: I went into a Lidl grocery shop and they apparently stock their own brand (Parkside) tools. So cheap that I almost want to try one for the fun of it. Anyone had a go at one?

My Aldi has an electric (corded) chainsaw that I almost bought to take down a small tree in my yard. I just couldn't do it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Slim Pickens posted:

Hollywood knows that kind of smoke exists, they just don't use it because it gives their cast and crew cancer and unions tend to have a problem with that.

They could probably do product placement type movies with their "Final Destination" films. Every tool and odd gizmo has Harbor Freight placement.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

sandoz posted:

dewalt invented the perfect safety paddle-switch like 20 years ago

If its anything like the Dewalt grinder (4 inch) that we had at work for a while there was a little thing that you could slide in to hold the paddle down.

That heavy smoke near the end was hypnotizing as gently caress.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

That heavy smoke near the end was hypnotizing as gently caress.

Yeah, it really was quite incredible. The amount of acrid smell then and still probably now has to be amazing.

At that point in the video:

1) Wouldn't have touched the power switch.
2) Wouldn't have touched the cord.
3) Would have ran for the circuit breaker.
4) And come back with a fire extinguisher.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MrOnBicycle posted:

They are actually not bad.

Never particularly cleverly made, but solid enough and I think good value for the money.

I have a jigsaw. The switch is too hard to move and it is a bit bulky, but apart from that , drat good.

I like the idea that you can now buy naked tools and get the batteries separately.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

spog posted:

They are actually not bad.

Never particularly cleverly made, but solid enough and I think good value for the money.

I have a jigsaw. The switch is too hard to move and it is a bit bulky, but apart from that , drat good.

I like the idea that you can now buy naked tools and get the batteries separately.

I got the same impression when feeling them out. The air paint gun is so cheap price wise that you could just buy it for a one time project. Might buy some stuff just to see as it's almost too cheap not to.

In other tools chat, I'm so happy with my 12V Blue Bosch Impact driver that it's not even funny. Car maintenance is so much faster with all the screws and fasteners on covers and what not. Also was a total champ when it came to putting down a floor in the woodshed. Expensive but worth it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've got the Aldi car polisher and electric spray gun, both are reasonably made and have lasted 5 and 3 years respectively at this point, with no issues. For the price when the spray gun dies I'll buy another, the labor saving is worth it. A work buddy bought the Lidl stick welder last week, I'll keep you updated if anything comical happens with it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I got the same impression when feeling them out. The air paint gun is so cheap price wise that you could just buy it for a one time project. Might buy some stuff just to see as it's almost too cheap not to.

In other tools chat, I'm so happy with my 12V Blue Bosch Impact driver that it's not even funny. Car maintenance is so much faster with all the screws and fasteners on covers and what not. Also was a total champ when it came to putting down a floor in the woodshed. Expensive but worth it.

I've not tried the air-powered stuff and I'd be interested in your reviews. Shame Ave hasn't done a teardown of their stuff.

I understand that their returns policy is pretty good. You can take it home and finger gently caress it for 30 days and I believe that the 2? years guarantee is quite easy to claim on.

E always been very curious about the welding stuff.

E2: I bought a Li-on cordless drill from their pro range. Metal chuck, brushless motor £39 on special. But can I find out if the battery is compatible with their other stuff? Can I gently caress.

spog fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 29, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I actually do have a Harbor Freight air-powered die grinder. I figured the most dangerous part of a grinder is the rasp or wheel you're using, so as long as you buy quality wheels it should be okay. In the unlikely event that the air motor pops, It's contained inside a fairly strong cast housing. The most likely form of tool failure would probably be the bearings seizing, and that's not particularly scary.

It works great.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

ExplodingSims posted:

Rub that story in the face of anyone who says safety regulations ruin racing.

The SCTA's safety rules are complex and thorough for a reason, and Flashpoint's driver surviving that incident are exactly why.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

spog posted:

I've not tried the air-powered stuff and I'd be interested in your reviews. Shame Ave hasn't done a teardown of their stuff.

I understand that their returns policy is pretty good. You can take it home and finger gently caress it for 30 days and I believe that the 2? years guarantee is quite easy to claim on.

E always been very curious about the welding stuff.

E2: I bought a Li-on cordless drill from their pro range. Metal chuck, brushless motor £39 on special. But can I find out if the battery is compatible with their other stuff? Can I gently caress.

I'll be sure to post if I get something. Problem is that unlike AvE, I have absolutely not idea what I'm talking about!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'll be sure to post if I get something. Problem is that unlike AvE, I have absolutely not idea what I'm talking about!

I think you'll find that he often times doesn't either. He just sounds confident enough in himself to seem like he knows everything. Like when he spent a bunch of money on a thing he thought had a battery in it when it clearly said that it would recharge batteries or something to that effect.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cojawfee posted:

I think you'll find that he often times doesn't either. He just sounds confident enough in himself to seem like he knows everything. Like when he spent a bunch of money on a thing he thought had a battery in it when it clearly said that it would recharge batteries or something to that effect.

He's a font of knowledge, but he is sometimes out of his depth or out of his mind

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

The Door Frame posted:

He's a font of knowledge, but he is sometimes out of his depth or out of his mind

This is why I can't watch much anymore. It's awful when he's just blathering about something he has no clue about, but doesn't let that stop him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I also stopped watching him. His tool reviews were kind of interesting but his habit of opening it up before testing it often backfired when he completely hosed it up and then it didn't work right when he put it back together. Or when he does his "LOL RIP OPEN THE BOX WITH THIS SAW" and then it ends up slicing right into the thing he's trying to test. Or when he intends to make an informative video about how some device works and then halfway through his explanation he finds out that it's a completely different device that actually does this other thing. Why am I going to watch a video about someone talking about something if they don't even know what it is?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

I also stopped watching him. His tool reviews were kind of interesting but his habit of opening it up before testing it often backfired when he completely hosed it up and then it didn't work right when he put it back together. Or when he does his "LOL RIP OPEN THE BOX WITH THIS SAW" and then it ends up slicing right into the thing he's trying to test. Or when he intends to make an informative video about how some device works and then halfway through his explanation he finds out that it's a completely different device that actually does this other thing. Why am I going to watch a video about someone talking about something if they don't even know what it is?

Plus the nearly-constant stream of meme-a-palooza. Give it a rest, man.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cojawfee posted:

Why am I going to watch a video about someone talking about something if they don't even know what it is?

Because it saves you the effort of talking about something you have no idea about.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm on the AvE unsubscribe :bandwagon:

Guy just doesn't speak in his wheelhouse anymore and I'm honestly try to learn about things; it sucks to be unsure what is patently wrong, and he reminds me too much of the clever douches in school who thought their expertise in one field translated to overall aptitude.

Myself circa highschool and first year of college included.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
AvE got me in the door, but This Old Tony kept me watching.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I love This Old Tony because he puts so much effort into his videos.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm on the AvE unsubscribe :bandwagon:

Guy just doesn't speak in his wheelhouse anymore and I'm honestly try to learn about things; it sucks to be unsure what is patently wrong, and he reminds me too much of the clever douches in school who thought their expertise in one field translated to overall aptitude.

Myself circa highschool and first year of college included.

The "oval office hair scale" on the ruler was kind of lovely of him too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Midjack posted:

The "oval office hair scale" on the ruler was kind of lovely of him too.

yeah, seriously it's such a gross phrase and to actually put effort into getting something like that made is awful

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cojawfee posted:

The contrast in production values between This Old Ton'ys early stuff and now is so huge. I think he's taken them down now, but he used to have a bunch of scraping videos that were just half an hour of him making a surface very flat with zero voice commentary. Took a while before he was ready to talk to us. I'm so glad that he lost his shyness! (And developed amazing video editing skills. And comedic timing. And the ability to script amazing little gags for his youtube machinist friends to film. And the ability to blend all that together and still keep the videos highly informative.)

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah, seriously it's such a gross phrase and to actually put effort into getting something like that made is awful

Over time (imo, ymmv) AvE has been letting his inner chud flag fly more and more.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

yeah just learned about this.

It's good.

Also I can listen to it without my kids walking into my room and giving me poo poo about the language.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

yeah just learned about this.

It's good.

I feel like YouTube just tweaked their algorithms or something because he just suddenly appeared in my suggestions as well, and goddamn his poo poo owns.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Also, I'm an idiot and just not realized that this wasn't the tool thread...

So to compensate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSLyU-mz7Q

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I still watch AvE, his channel is a good case study in tunnelvision troubleshooting

I think I'll follow recommendations and check out This Old Tony though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think it is fair to say that any youtuber you continue to watch for more than a few mins a week is likely to do something or show a side side of them that irritates you.

Personally, when they rip open a box, that really gets my back up because any reasonable person opens them carefully, perhaps running a special knife along the glueflaps and then stores them in a safe place for the next 10 years.