Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also lmao at someone in the DSA thread urging taking a back seat to the bourgeois liberals citing ML theory and practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

christmas boots posted:

I can't help but think the clapping thing would have gone over better if it was sold more on the "let's ASL clap so we don't have to stop every three loving seconds"
I think what's weird is most chapter's have it in their community agreements to do the ASL clap; and my dad when I returned from convention brought up the "jazz hands" and it took all of two seconds to explain what it's meant for.

I don't know why it would be a barrier for entry

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Epic High Five posted:

It wasn't pushed for at either time and I can't think of a single reason why it would've been more relevant in 2019 as opposed to right now, when we're in the midst of a pandemic in which tens of millions have lost their employer health insurance and scores of millions more face bankruptcy for long, expensive treatment.

What even is the alternative path forward here? What's the proposed timeline and reasoning that it's impossible now when it's desperately needed but will be possible later when the issue is buried once again by the Democratic establishment

iirc in 2019 the theoretical leverage didn't really exist to force a floor vote, so while it was down on the m4a strategy as "it would be nice if this happened" i don't think there was an actionable and immediate plan to make it happen

now, in 2021, we've had a much longer and more public fight about m4a, such that the information a floor vote could give us would be redundant compared to what's already come out of the dem primary and corona relief discourse. aoc and others claim that a floor vote could even be bad because it could allow pols to hide their true positions; i just think it's pointless, such that i'd take it if it was free but not actually spend any appreciable time or resources on making it happen

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

lmao dude this is politics not math class, you can’t prove that you’re objectively right and win the thread. there’s no “correct” answer, you can point to historical examples and other people can point to other historical examples and theories can be presented and argued about. the way you post poo poo like “we’ve been over this already” and act like you’re the thread professor who just needs to get everyone to accept the right solution is insanely loving obnoxious and no matter how many pretentiously worded paragraphs you type out you will never prove that your theory of change is the objectively correct one, because that isn’t a thing in politics

while i obviously have definitively settled the issue, i'm not expecting everyone else to believe that i've definitively settled the issue. it'd just be nice to have some kind of back and forth about it instead of like

SOMEONE: why not X?
SOMEONE ELSE: well, because Y

SOMEONE: why not X, though?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

I did not realize that history, I just have a kid in a wheelchair so I'm more sensitive to when people say that things needing to be 'normal' in the context of accessibility.

Yeah, I really do get it. My son has autism and sensory issues, so I understand.

At the same time, saying only hyperonline bad-faith actors would look askance at suppressing emotional noise making is... well...

Take for instance that clip where the person at the podium says, "Don't talk to cops," and people start hooting, to which the person immediately responds that people haven't quite understood the rules. This is a political convention! You're trying to build excitement about being there, a feeling of camaraderie, right? Part of that is not making people feel excluded, but part of that is not pouring cold water over emotional connection and expression.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

iirc in 2019 the theoretical leverage didn't really exist to force a floor vote, so while it was down on the m4a strategy as "it would be nice if this happened" i don't think there was an actionable and immediate plan to make it happen

now, in 2021, we've had a much longer and more public fight about m4a, such that the information a floor vote could give us would be redundant compared to what's already come out of the dem primary and corona relief discourse. aoc and others claim that a floor vote could even be bad because it could allow pols to hide their true positions; i just think it's pointless, such that i'd take it if it was free but not actually spend any appreciable time or resources on making it happen

It is free. M4A was emphatically defeated in the Dem primaries and now AOC and Bernie are talking about expanding access to healthcare. We are emphatically and resoundingly in a weaker position than we were in 2019 despite a plague. If nothing else, FTV would be a rallying point at a time when it is desperately needed.

I have no idea what you are imagining when you type out this rosy sort of assessment. Exactly what more progress do we have now than we did in 2019?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

It didn't help that blowup was a build up on a lot of other accessibility issues with the venue; like I knew one of our delegates was the chair of the disability working group was telling me how a lot of the members in that group felt like they were being treated like a burden. It also really didn't help that a reso to make chapters fully accessible by 2021 failed which led to walk outs. Also remember that the person who gave me poo poo for passing out infrastructure reports was seen laughing at a comrade with a speech impediment as they spoke in favor of the resolution. It was just such a toxic experience in retrospect that not surprised a ton of people quit the org because of it. I somehow was galvanized by it instead of just checking out completely.

Yeah, this is bullshit, and that person needs to be taken aside or kicked the gently caress out. Do these meetings have sargeants-at-arms?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

in left-wing communism, lenin makes a point that at separate times the bolsheviks have seen fit to abstain completely from parliament or to participate in as a bloc, depending on what the balance of forces was at the time and where the needs and attention of the people lay. given that, you should understand why a tactic appropriate at some times might be inappropriate at other times, i.e. why a floor vote might have been more helpful in early 2019 than it would be in early 2021. we've actually been over this in some depth, but everyone likes to pretend not to have read any answer given on the topic so they can feel like they're the first to bring it up

Yeah, I understand the concept of a tactic's effectiveness changing over time, you pompous twat. I just disagree that anything substantive has changed. If anything, the DSA's stated strategy of playing kingmaker in a divided legislature is stronger now than it is has been in our lifetimes.

Manchin gets it. Sinema gets it. Why don't we?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Epic High Five posted:

It is free. M4A was emphatically defeated in the Dem primaries and now AOC and Bernie are talking about expanding access to healthcare. We are emphatically and resoundingly in a weaker position than we were in 2019 despite a plague. If nothing else, FTV would be a rallying point at a time when it is desperately needed.

I have no idea what you are imagining when you type out this rosy sort of assessment. Exactly what more progress do we have now than we did in 2019?

it is not free - it requires the leverage that exists in withholding votes, and also the organizer-hours for building up a movement of people to credibly claim that they want the squad to do it. the squad can't just demand infinite concessions in exchange for four speaker votes (if they could they'd just force pelosi to create an american NHS), so they have to pick and choose. they picked and chose something besides FTV, which is good, because at this point in history FTV's salutary effects would be entirely redundant with information we've already got (and that we, not c-span, would be responsible for disseminating to the public and otherwise transforming into organizing power)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

also lmao at someone in the DSA thread urging taking a back seat to the bourgeois liberals citing ML theory and practice

Indeed, lmao.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yeah, I understand the concept of a tactic's effectiveness changing over time, you pompous twat. I just disagree that anything substantive has changed. If anything, the DSA's stated strategy of playing kingmaker in a divided legislature is stronger now than it is has been in our lifetimes.

Manchin gets it. Sinema gets it. Why don't we?

the substantive thing that's changed is that m4a and various politician's support or opposition of it received a much more public airing than a floor vote could ever have produced

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ferrinus posted:

while i obviously have definitively settled the issue, i'm not expecting everyone else to believe that i've definitively settled the issue. it'd just be nice to have some kind of back and forth about it instead of like

SOMEONE: why not X?
SOMEONE ELSE: well, because Y

SOMEONE: why not X, though?

they are rejecting your answer, not forgetting it. I’m sorry that this upsets you, but since this is, again, not math class, you have not finished the discussion by giving your answer. people aren’t giving their responses in precise debate club language because this is an online forum and it’s obnoxious to bring up procedural style or wording based objections when the intended message is usually pretty clear. the only way you can prove that a particular tactic is the correct one would be to show results, which the american left has failed to produce for decades, and even then, there can and will be debate about whether those results were substantive or meaningful enough to be considered wins. you pointing out that the squad was able to secure a change to paygo rules does not end the debate, because not everyone agrees that getting that change is important, or enough, or proves that the squad deserves support or trust going forward, etc. politics is endless discussion and very few provably correct answers or strategies, unless you’re in a democratic centralist organization and acting as a unified bloc.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, essentially you're admitting that the DSA and AOC both played the standard Democrat line of "It would be nice if..." only to abandon it once it was actually possible.

And you wonder why so many people immediately became disillusioned with both? It had nothing to do with a potsmoking youtuber.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

it is not free - it requires the leverage that exists in withholding votes, and also the organizer-hours for building up a movement of people to credibly claim that they want the squad to do it. the squad can't just demand infinite concessions in exchange for four speaker votes (if they could they'd just force pelosi to create an american NHS), so they have to pick and choose. they picked and chose something besides FTV, which is good, because at this point in history FTV's salutary effects would be entirely redundant with information we've already got (and that we, not c-span, would be responsible for disseminating to the public and otherwise transforming into organizing power)

What did they choose instead of doing what they ran on? More awareness raising like it's now some worthless trust fund kid's charity? Because it looks to me like the critical public support to push for FTV is exactly what is being pushed back on in favor of ??????

M4A messaging failed spectacularly, Every Dem running credibly claimed to support it despite only 1 doing so, except for Biden who opposed it but most of his voters still said they thought he supported it. That's success to you? That's a high point we need to start expanding out from instead of continuing to force loud and public concessions?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

it is not free - it requires the leverage that exists in withholding votes, and also the organizer-hours for building up a movement of people to credibly claim that they want the squad to do it

Then you loving do it! That's the whole reason your organization exists! BJG and West were practically begging you to do it.

Ironically, it would have been good for DSA recruitment as well, which make those of us on the other side even more sus about why no one in the DSA leadership bought in.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

organizer-hours

political capital for dsa types

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Ferrinus posted:

if there is widespread disagreement that you have definitively settled the issue, then you have not definitively settled the issue

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd like to call for a floor vote on the issue of this being settled or not

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
*clearly understanding everything*

Floor recognizes floor

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

christmas boots posted:

*clearly understanding everything*

Floor recognizes floor

Seconded

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

second, insofar as "we" elected her it wasn't purely for the sake of posturing and anti-dem propaganda. she actually should be making political calculations and weighing costs vs benefits in the course of navigating the legislature. even FTV itself pays respect to political expediency, because it's only calling for a vote on m4a, not calling for m4a itself, not calling for a vote on an NHS, or whatever. it's common but not convincing to be like oh i'm just being rational and practical but you're clearly a scheming sellout just because one person's proposal is like 5% less ambitious than another's

This is quite the exaggeration, since the thing they apparently "demanded" is completely worthless. It isn't "the difference between M4A and even more positive change" - it's "the difference between literally nothing and M4A."

People wouldn't be reacting this way if they had actually shown some willingness to openly be in conflict with Democratic leadership. It's not so much that something like forcing the vote would be a big benefit on its own, but more that their actions (and lack thereof) up until this point are extremely damning.

The important question here is "why haven't they been directly demanding these things and directly opposing the rest of the party and broadcasting the party's lack of support for left causes?" The answer seems to be "because then they would lose influence and the ability to do things," but this is complete bullshit. Do you think that they're tricking Democratic leadership into giving them meaningful power? The whole excuse of "we must wait until we have more allies in Congress" depends entirely upon the reasoning that not waiting would carry consequences, but this is nonsense. Not only is there no reason to expect there to be meaningful consequences, but this reasoning is a trap that can be used pretty much forever (and has, in fact, been used constantly in the past). It doesn't really matter whether people like The Squad genuinely believe this, since the outcome is the same.

It's really bizarre that it seems so difficult to understand this. By far the most simple and obvious answer is that The Squad, like most other vaguely progressive politicians who have been elected in the past, have decided that not rocking the boat too much is the best choice. There a zillion personal incentives for them to choose to cooperate with the rest of the party.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ferrinus posted:

so it should be easy for you to quote me and point out where i've said something wrong or contentless, right?

yeah, that's what i thought

sweet post/av text combo

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

apropos to nothing posted:

read once, post twice

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Epic High Five posted:

I'd like to call for a floor vote on the issue of this being settled or not

The speakers vote happened like last month didn't it? Genuinely asking, what's there even to argue about anymore

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

Then you loving do it! That's the whole reason your organization exists! BJG and West were practically begging you to do it.

Ironically, it would have been good for DSA recruitment as well, which make those of us on the other side even more sus about why no one in the DSA leadership bought in.

As far as I can tell, these peoples' reasoning essentially implies that you should never support or demand something unless there's already a large left-aligned organization working towards it.

edit: It's ironically similar to the liberal reasoning of "it's intrinsically wrong to support ideas that don't already have mainstream support."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

they are rejecting your answer, not forgetting it. I’m sorry that this upsets you, but since this is, again, not math class, you have not finished the discussion by giving your answer. people aren’t giving their responses in precise debate club language because this is an online forum and it’s obnoxious to bring up procedural style or wording based objections when the intended message is usually pretty clear. the only way you can prove that a particular tactic is the correct one would be to show results, which the american left has failed to produce for decades, and even then, there can and will be debate about whether those results were substantive or meaningful enough to be considered wins. you pointing out that the squad was able to secure a change to paygo rules does not end the debate, because not everyone agrees that getting that change is important, or enough, or proves that the squad deserves support or trust going forward, etc. politics is endless discussion and very few provably correct answers or strategies, unless you’re in a democratic centralist organization and acting as a unified bloc.

they are not rejecting my answer but ignoring it - up until this page, anyway, which i appreciate. it actually seems like you've sort of lost the plot here because you're bringing up paygo for some reason, but paygo exemptions aren't the reason that FTV was more attractive in 2019 than 2021 - the reason is that in 2019 there wasn't a copious record of who supports m4a and who doesn't. now there is

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yeah, essentially you're admitting that the DSA and AOC both played the standard Democrat line of "It would be nice if..." only to abandon it once it was actually possible.

And you wonder why so many people immediately became disillusioned with both? It had nothing to do with a potsmoking youtuber.

you're being dishonest here by strategically skipping the middle of my post. it wasn't abandoned when it was possible - it was abandoned when it was pointless, and mutually exclusive with something better. by ignoring this basic part of the reasoning, you're engaging in conspiratorial thinking that somehow puts the DSA and the democratic establishment on the same side, like secretly we know that FTV is really good and powerful but have to do the lucy's football thing to make sure that you never get it. but actually it just sucks (in the current context). let me answer your second post, here, too:

PhilippAchtel posted:

why would we do it, when it's somewhere between pointless and counterproductive?

it certainly wouldn't be good for DSA recruitment! DSA members largely disagree, "help us make sure c-span airs a losing vote for our issue" isn't the kind of thing that can build excitement or mobilize working class participation among the unorganized, and "those of [you] on the other side" are a vanishingly small minority of people who largely aren't involved in on-the-ground organizing in any event. why would dsa alienate its member base in favor of an MPP publicity stunt? doesn't make strategic sense

Epic High Five posted:

What did they choose instead of doing what they ran on? More awareness raising like it's now some worthless trust fund kid's charity? Because it looks to me like the critical public support to push for FTV is exactly what is being pushed back on in favor of ??????

M4A messaging failed spectacularly, Every Dem running credibly claimed to support it despite only 1 doing so, except for Biden who opposed it but most of his voters still said they thought he supported it. That's success to you? That's a high point we need to start expanding out from instead of continuing to force loud and public concessions?

they didn't run on the specific publicity stunt "force the vote". they ran on, among a number of other things, universal health care. they chose to get universal health care exempt from certain congressional financing provisions.

this is a small thing, but it's better than FTV because contra your (and some FTV leaders') belief, "messaging" is not why we didn't get M4A. it's organizing, not comms, that lost sanders the primary. this kind of hand-wringing oh, if only they knew stuff does not explain biden's win

WorkerThread posted:

political capital for dsa types

see, this is how i know you're not serious about this. the DSA has a few paid national staffers but is largely a volunteer organization. almost all of its members have real jobs, not to mention other real-life obligations that have to be balanced against organizing. how many people you've got and how much time those people can offer you is a serious strategic consideration, possibly the most important one - and, ironically, it's the very consideration that has the biggest and most m4a-centric faction within the DSA sharply try to suppress various organizing projects that aren't about m4a!!!

Ytlaya posted:

This is quite the exaggeration, since the thing they apparently "demanded" is completely worthless. It isn't "the difference between M4A and even more positive change" - it's "the difference between literally nothing and M4A."

People wouldn't be reacting this way if they had actually shown some willingness to openly be in conflict with Democratic leadership. It's not so much that something like forcing the vote would be a big benefit on its own, but more that their actions (and lack thereof) up until this point are extremely damning.

The important question here is "why haven't they been directly demanding these things and directly opposing the rest of the party and broadcasting the party's lack of support for left causes?" The answer seems to be "because then they would lose influence and the ability to do things," but this is complete bullshit. Do you think that they're tricking Democratic leadership into giving them meaningful power? The whole excuse of "we must wait until we have more allies in Congress" depends entirely upon the reasoning that not waiting would carry consequences, but this is nonsense. Not only is there no reason to expect there to be meaningful consequences, but this reasoning is a trap that can be used pretty much forever (and has, in fact, been used constantly in the past). It doesn't really matter whether people like The Squad genuinely believe this, since the outcome is the same.

It's really bizarre that it seems so difficult to understand this. By far the most simple and obvious answer is that The Squad, like most other vaguely progressive politicians who have been elected in the past, have decided that not rocking the boat too much is the best choice. There a zillion personal incentives for them to choose to cooperate with the rest of the party.

i'm going to use my favorite refrain here - your phrasing reveals that you have confused a particular parliamentary stunt with a broader organizing strategy or the actual strategic objective. "if they had actually shown some willingness to openly be in conflict with Democratic leadership" - they did!!! they endorsed sanders to the last woman! the primary that consumed so much of 2019 was nothing but a massive conflict between progressive insurgents and democratic leadership! somehow this has gone down the memory hole, and the fact that the squad is acting differently after a massive political defeat than they were at the height of the conflict somehow proves the conflict itself didn't count or perhaps even didn't happen. bizarre.

the other mistake you're making here is that the idea is to somehow trick or appease pelosi by withholding their votes to get one concession rather than withholding their votes to get a different concession. it is very clear to both pelosi and the squad whose side everyone is on! the reason the squad can't afford to just go into open scorched-earth warfare with establishment dems is because of the squad's own constituency, not the establishment's influence. like i've said, the DSA was a distant fourth in the list of forces that actually got AOC into office. there is a not a big and powerful enough organized left behind aoc to A) force her to tell pelosi to gently caress off at every opportunity and, more importantly, B) actually make telling pelosi to gently caress off amount to anything besides pelosi just getting more ammo with which to marginalize aoc

it's like the dem primary. i would've liked it if sanders telegraphed much more open hostility to the rest of the candidates. unfortunately, he still would have lost, and unfortunately, the electorate would still have come away thinking that biden was a nice guy who probably supports m4a (but just can't do it right now) and is our best chance to beat trump

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol I'm not reading all of that drat

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

lol I'm not reading all of that drat

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

you can just read the part where i'm responding to your favorite poster

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

you can just read the part where i'm responding to your favorite poster

lol at thinking you're my favorite

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Buck Wildman posted:

lol at thinking you're my favorite

holy poo poo can NONE of you people read? it says RESPONDING TO! good god!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

holy poo poo can NONE of you people read? it says RESPONDING TO! good god!

oh so this isn't just self-indulgent navel gazing on your part? sorry, it's so hard to tell, a lot of tone gets lost in text based communication

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I mean, isn't that what the DSA's all about?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Ferrinus posted:

it's common but not convincing to be like oh i'm just being rational and practical but you're clearly a scheming sellout just because one person's proposal is like 5% less ambitious than another's

surely there's got to be A Line somewhere

Phi230 posted:

waving your hands around whimsically looks goofy, especially when you prioritize it over other business, and interrupt the convention to yell at others for doing the normal thing of clapping

its not a big issue on its own so much as its' the whole comfortable white performative gesture thing rearing its head and making the left look dumb as poo poo

the one-clap thing you suggested earlier isn't any less goofy and imo is actually moreso

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

slicing up eyeballs posted:

The speakers vote happened like last month didn't it? Genuinely asking, what's there even to argue about anymore

1) There will be other opportunities to use leverage against the leadership. Answering the question of to what extent left orgs and reps should cooperate or fight the leadership is important.

2) The answers to 1 will largely determine whether many of us choose or continue to support these orgs and reps.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

indigi posted:

surely there's got to be A Line somewhere

yeah but it's a by-the-situation judgment call, and also requires us to be judicious in determining what's actually more ambitious or radical versus what just sounds that way. otherwise you're just doing the left organizing version of that george carlin bit about driving where anyone going slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster than you is a maniac

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Can smell the adderall wafting off these posts all the way over here, goddamn

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

they are not rejecting my answer but ignoring it - up until this page, anyway, which i appreciate. it actually seems like you've sort of lost the plot here because you're bringing up paygo for some reason, but paygo exemptions aren't the reason that FTV was more attractive in 2019 than 2021 - the reason is that in 2019 there wasn't a copious record of who supports m4a and who doesn't. now there is

Why is that? What record is more copious now than in 2019? Walk me through it.

Ferrinus posted:

you're being dishonest here by strategically skipping the middle of my post. it wasn't abandoned when it was possible - it was abandoned when it was pointless, and mutually exclusive with something better.

Uh huh.

Ferrinus posted:

by ignoring this basic part of the reasoning, you're engaging in conspiratorial thinking that somehow puts the DSA and the democratic establishment on the same side, like secretly we know that FTV is really good and powerful but have to do the lucy's football thing to make sure that you never get it. but actually it just sucks (in the current context). let me answer your second post, here, too:

why would we do it, when it's somewhere between pointless and counterproductive?

it certainly wouldn't be good for DSA recruitment! DSA members largely disagree, "help us make sure c-span airs a losing vote for our issue" isn't the kind of thing that can build excitement or mobilize working class participation among the unorganized, and "those of [you] on the other side" are a vanishingly small minority of people who largely aren't involved in on-the-ground organizing in any event. why would dsa alienate its member base in favor of an MPP publicity stunt? doesn't make strategic sense

This is dead wrong. Many, many of the people pushing for FTV were involved with organizing. Many of those people are current DSA members. You have no reason to believe otherwise other than your own smug sense of superiority [which of course turns off no one, eh?].

Ferrinus posted:

they didn't run on the specific publicity stunt "force the vote". they ran on, among a number of other things, universal health care. they chose to get universal health care exempt from certain congressional financing provisions.

They absolutely did not get that. Did you read the paygo exemption? Did you read the conditions and who decides what applies? Are you familiar with the history of how this provision has been applied and removed precisely at the behest of our political opponents?

If you think the paygo statement was anything more than theatre, you are dreaming.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ferrinus can you just take the L and shut the gently caress up already

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

ok fetonte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PhilippAchtel posted:

Why is that? What record is more copious now than in 2019? Walk me through it.

a democratic primary brought m4a to the forefront of the public and compelled democratic politicians to register their support or opposition even if they weren't running. now we even know where, like, jon ossof stands, for free. the public record of people's stances in the primary plus the way various politicians have voted on such things as corona relief gives us copious rhetorical ammo to use in canvassing or phone banking efforts

quote:

This is dead wrong. Many, many of the people pushing for FTV were involved with organizing. Many of those people are current DSA members. You have no reason to believe otherwise other than your own smug sense of superiority [which of course turns off no one, eh?].

here's the funny thing about numbers. i'm sure "many" people pushing for FTV are involved with organizing, and that "many" of those are even DSA members...

...but "few" DSA members like or care about FTV, because the DSA is much, much bigger than the tiny group of people who know or care about FTV. it would in aggregate alienate, not galvanize, the DSA's membership to go to war with AOC on the say-so of a comedian who's busy deriving the red-brown alliance from first principles

quote:

They absolutely did not get that. Did you read the paygo exemption? Did you read the conditions and who decides what applies? Are you familiar with the history of how this provision has been applied and removed precisely at the behest of our political opponents?

If you think the paygo statement was anything more than theatre, you are dreaming.

obviously it's not a major get because major leverage wasn't actually exerted to obtain it - the speaker votes of four progressives aren't worth that much, and ultimately represent an annoyance for pelosi rather than a huge threat. however, paying for m4a is a rhetorical and legislative battle that is still being fought, and a paygo exemption makes that battle easier, lets you go after people when they attempt to revoke it after the fact, and so on