Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Washed the bike before it started raining

Probably The end of my riding season :( I wont be buying a bike until spring. And I already want an adv bike, sport bike, a historic and a cruiser. Good I barely have space for one bike.

Modern waterproof gear is like magic, shell out and ride in the rain trust me you'll love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Modern waterproof gear is like magic, shell out and ride in the rain trust me you'll love it

Yeah my rev'its are pretty good in rain. Reason for stopping was I had to return the bike to my dad. He told me not to buy a bike for this summer and instead loaned me the dyna for a few months.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jazzzzz posted:

There's not enough bone there to put a rod in. I'm a little surprised they didn't put a plate and screws in given all of those fragments.

That said, it still looks lined up well enough at this angle, and since it's a tib/fib fracture and they put a rod in his tibia, he's gonna be in a boot and non weight bearing for a few weeks anyway. That would hopefully give the fibula enough time to knit back together. The bone will just end up with a lump in it.

The fibula fracture is high enough that it likely won’t cause instability in the ankle. The small fragments aren’t really “fixable” in and of themselves, you would just basically have to bridge them if you were going to plate it.

My biggest piece of advice regarding trauma from personal experience is to follow through on the physical therapy. It’s amazing how weak you become from just a couple of weeks off your feet.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The fibula fracture is high enough that it likely won’t cause instability in the ankle. The small fragments aren’t really “fixable” in and of themselves, you would just basically have to bridge them if you were going to plate it.

My biggest piece of advice regarding trauma from personal experience is to follow through on the physical therapy. It’s amazing how weak you become from just a couple of weeks off your feet.

I’m actually looking forward to physical therapy. I hurt my back about a year ago, and spent a few months going to a place near my house for PT. All the therapists there are super nice and did a great job, so I’m just gonna go to them.

In the meantime I’m basically just lying on the couch living vicariously through others’ YouTube motorcycle videos. Counting down to 9/20.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

riding in light rain makes the exact same patter on my helmet that i would hear lying in the top bunk of my grandpa's camper trailer when I was a tiny child. IOW, extremely soothing and nearly narcotic. I love rain riding but i fear with silver bike + black gear that i'm invisible to idiot car drivers so I minimize it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You're invisible to most anyway, regardless of the conditions.

Although I have tried to swing things in my favour by getting a raincoat made entirely of that super reflective silver stuff that lights up like a ghost if the memory of headlights so much as brushes it. If I could get a helmet and pants to match I would absolutely ride around at night on a murdered out bike so I could look like wonder woman in her invisible jet.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

That strapless rear-entry helmet that was doing the rounds a while back is finally on sale, and a gear shop up the road from me is offering test rides.

Did you ever try one of those Vozz helmets?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Haven't had a chance yet, I've been out of the country the last two weeks.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Got ringing fingers today after taking out the F4 for a 1 hour round trip. Still worth it, trip was good and the front tire only has 4mm of shiny strip left on the left, none on the right.

Was a bit too stiff to slide the right knee but the road took what was left of my toe slider so we'll call it even I guess.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

you're gonna crash

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I might? It's been 12 years now since I started riding and I have gotten away without one so far. Also this is the most deserted mountain region in Western Europe so neither is there any traffic to speak of nore does one have to ride exceptionally fast to get ground contact.

But yeah, I have my blood group and organ donor pass in my leather at all times.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hey I’m not reading CA as much so not sure if you’re new here but you’re might be breaking a rule here. You’re not allowed to talk about how badass you are without having an action camera on at all times, and it’s a hard requirement to post videos of your badassery or any layer dans. Thanks for your compliance and welcome to CA :cool:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I did post some cam videos last year but the sound is poo poo and the angle is too low (had to super glue the cheapo cam holder arms to stop them moving)

Plan for next year is finding a place for a high quality mic on the bike where it's save from the wind and work on a better cam placement

E: also yeah not really new. But I'm only in Spain for 4 weeks in the summer each year so my sportive riding is limited to that and the occasional track day/safety course at home and so is my posting about actually riding instead of just wrenching on the commuters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxheJz0i8rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtaV5IZK-R0

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 25, 2019

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Strife posted:

I’m actually looking forward to physical therapy. I hurt my back about a year ago, and spent a few months going to a place near my house for PT. All the therapists there are super nice and did a great job, so I’m just gonna go to them.

In the meantime I’m basically just lying on the couch living vicariously through others’ YouTube motorcycle videos. Counting down to 9/20.

After my accident I had 8 days in the hospital and then six months off work. I could have gotten disability but I was knuckle-headed enough to really push myself early in PT because who the hell wants to be on disability at 28?

My first appointment I crutched down instead of letting my wife drive me. I showed up at the office all sweaty and the therapists were like “wtf dude are you crazy?” But it’s that kind of poo poo that gets you walking again.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Petrol station etiquette questions.

In your part of the world, when you stop for petrol do you;

a) remove your helmet
b) step off your motorcycle

Are you obligated by local/other law to do so? If you don't do any of the above and have no obligations to do so, but are asked by the attendant to do so, do you?

I've ridden in quite a few countries, across a lot of years, and have recently run into a lot of bullshit. I'm curious to know if I'm being unreasonable or if this place is just a nannying bunch of wankers.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Redvenom posted:

a) remove your helmet

Are you obligated by local/other law to do so? If you don't do any of the above and have no obligations to do so, but are asked by the attendant to do so, do you?

I've ridden in quite a few countries, across a lot of years, and have recently run into a lot of bullshit. I'm curious to know if I'm being unreasonable or if this place is just a nannying bunch of wankers.

If I have to make eye contact with another person while I'm getting gas, then something has gone terribly wrong. Further if I have to do anything other than turn the bike off and open the gas tank, again, something has gone very wrong.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Redvenom posted:

a) remove your helmet

It varies regionally and I bet a bunch of people are going to start weighing in on how it works in their state/region.

In several states, I've never had an attendant ask me to do either of those things. Once, I'm fairly certain an attendant refused to turn the pump on despite my card prepaying just fine. I was tired and sore and cranky after about 350 miles so I flipped them off through the window and rode across the street to another gas station rather than get off the bike, take off my helmet, pull out earplugs, and ask wtf was up.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I leave my helmet on and and don't get off the motorcycle, but I thought someone in here posted that it's an American thing to not get off the bike? I just don't see the point of getting off it

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Redvenom posted:

a) remove your helmet

When I lived in London, a) no, b) yes (I found it awkward to fill my bikes while sitting on them). I think once I was asked to remove my helmet, which I did, but that was in an area where they probably get robbed every other week.
Note to non-UK goons, pay-at-the-pump was still uncommon 5-10 years ago there, despite the far more advanced ways they have to take your money.
Everywhere else I've ridden (Ontario, Alberta, BC, France), basically what CanOfMDAmp said.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My only guess would be 2 things.

*for not taking your helmet off*
They might have had people gas and go without paying and by leaving their helmets on, it makes it more difficult to identify the thieves. Also, gas station clerks get robbed a lot, so maybe having a helmet on makes for an easy disguise and keeps them on edge if you don't remove it.

* for not getting off your bike while fueling * Maybe its a safety thing. By staying on your bike, maybe it prevents you from being able to act in case something bad were to happen like the pump sticking on, overfueling, or in case of a fire. Being off the bike is easier to hit the emergency stop button for the pumps. Plus if you're on the bike while fueling and something happens that causes you to lose your balance, you could drop your bike and spill gas.

Those would be my guesses. Some people just have it out for motorcycles and will give them grief for no reason. Others, maybe they have a reason for wanting you to do so that might be safety related. Gas station attendants discourage people from leaving their vehicles while gas is being pumped (sitting in their cars, using the rest room, or walking into the store while filling) for safety reasons.

I've personally had gas overfill twice in my life due to faulty pumps (neither on a bike). The first time it happened, the auto stop didn't activate and gas shot out of my gas tank but it stopped when I released the pump handle. The second time, the pump failed to auto stop and continued to pump even when I let go of the lever. I had to turn the pump off with the on/off switch at the pump but not after getting soaked with gas. I would not want to have been straddling a bike with a hot engine and pipes when that happened.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Redvenom posted:

a) remove your helmet

in OR you have to wait for an attendant. it's stupid. they swipe my card and then hand me the nozzle. if they take more than like 3' to come over I just pump it myself and if the attendant yells at me I just ignore them and keep pumping as I've got my helmet on. never get off my bike or take my helmet off though unless I'm going inside for beer

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Verman posted:

I've personally had gas overfill twice in my life due to faulty pumps (neither on a bike). The first time it happened, the auto stop didn't activate and gas shot out of my gas tank but it stopped when I released the pump handle. The second time, the pump failed to auto stop and continued to pump even when I let go of the lever. I had to turn the pump off with the on/off switch at the pump but not after getting soaked with gas. I would not want to have been straddling a bike with a hot engine and pipes when that happened.

I suddenly see why I might have a little hubris in staying on, but do people really fill relying on the autostop? I figure it's so much easier to take a peek in there and see where it's at rather than risk flooding the filler.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
If I’m in a nice area auto stop is fine. In lovely areas I manually hold the trigger

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Here in the states, everybody does with their cars because you can't look into the gas tank to check if it's full. I would hope people wouldn't while riding bikes but that's assuming people have common sense which is surprisingly rare.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I do not get off my bike or remove me helmet when fueling. I don't think I've ever gone to a full-serve station on a motorcycle so idk about that one.

I do not rely on the auto-stop feature because I don't think that a motorcycle fuel filler is shaped correctly to reliably trigger it.

I do always make sure to take my helmet off before I go into a business so they don't think I'm about to rob the place.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

right arm posted:

in OR you have to wait for an attendant. it's stupid. they swipe my card and then hand me the nozzle. if they take more than like 3' to come over I just pump it myself and if the attendant yells at me I just ignore them and keep pumping as I've got my helmet on. never get off my bike or take my helmet off though unless I'm going inside for beer

Yeah, OR and NJ are like this, it's the stupidest thing ever.

If I'm stopping for gas on a trip I'm probably taking a break in conjunction, so I'll get off, if I'm in town and making multiple stops I probably don't want to take my helmet off for no reason so I'm fueling on the bike with helmet on.

Fortunately a hot exhaust won't ignite gasoline, it'll just cause it to flash off, I do remember several people from this here forum have shot fuel into their faces/eyes somehow.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The auto shut off had never worked well on my bikes, so I always hold the nozzle so I can see the gas level.

I also only take my helmet off if going inside. Some gas stations have been adding ways to pay from my phone, so I rarely even need to take our my wallet.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Thank you thread for justify my petty moral outrage. This all came from being asked to get off my bike the last two times I've filled up (different petrol stations). That's on top of being requested to remove my helmet ever since I moved state at the beginning of the year.

Would a justifiable response be to go and buy some big jerry cans and a funnel so I can get fuel separately, then fill up at home? It's so immeasurably petty but it shits me so much.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
In Australia you're supposed to remove your helmet before entering banks or service stations. At least, as long as I can remember they've always had a sign or sticker on the door asking that you do. I don't think it's actually required by law, though.

I used to always take my helmet off when going to pay for fuel, however now what I do is catch the attention of the person behind the counter, and point at my helmet, and give them a thumbs up. They usually nod enthusiastically/give a thumbs up in return, and I go in with the helmet on. I think one time they shook their head so I just took the thing off. It's not that big an inconvenience so I don't get bent out of shape about it.

There are some wankers who like to make a thing of it - like, if a woman with a burka is allowed in with her face obscured why can't I - frankly who doesn't have better poo poo to do with their time than that?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Redvenom posted:

a) remove your helmet

UK used to have REMOVE YOUR HELMET signs everywhere, because we had a rash of crash helmet thieves in like the 90s or something. I guess everyone got over it or forgot because I don't see them much at all anymore. I feel like it's polite to remove your helmet when going inside but I've seen people just flip the chinbar up on modulars and not catch any poo poo, so it seems like as long as they can see your face at least some people don't care.

Except gently caress all that because we have self-pump machines with built in card readers at supermarkets now, so lol I'm not even getting off the bike let alone talking to anyone.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

In Norway, there's no auto pump and no full service stations (that is, no stations with an attendant at the pump, which is what I understand that means). I generally take my helmet off and get off the bike anyway, but I don't have to; if I fill and run all stations have cameras that see my license plate.

I often take my helmet off because a service station is a good opportunity to stretch my legs, hydrate, take a bathroom break. If I don't need any of that, I don't remove my helmet or get off the bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pun pundit posted:

In Norway, there's no auto pump and no full service stations (that is, no stations with an attendant at the pump, which is what I understand that means). I generally take my helmet off and get off the bike anyway, but I don't have to; if I fill and run all stations have cameras that see my license plate.

I often take my helmet off because a service station is a good opportunity to stretch my legs, hydrate, take a bathroom break. If I don't need any of that, I don't remove my helmet or get off the bike.

I got yelled at once for not taking my helmet off. It was while filling to pay inside, instead of paying by card at the pump. I think they want to see your face, because the license plate doesn't identify the person.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
In the states (New England, at least), you can't even start the pump without swiping your card. So I don't get off the bike, and don't even lift my visor. If the gas hole is in the middle of the tank, I'll straddle the bike so it's balanced, so I can get maximum gas.

If I'm in one of those weird areas where the attendant has to pump your gas, I stay on the bike and just gesture to the gas tank, like "fill me up big boy." So far I haven't had one not let me do it myself.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

When I lived in London, a) no, b) yes (I found it awkward to fill my bikes while sitting on them). I think once I was asked to remove my helmet, which I did, but that was in an area where they probably get robbed every other week.
Note to non-UK goons, pay-at-the-pump was still uncommon 5-10 years ago there, despite the far more advanced ways they have to take your money.
Everywhere else I've ridden (Ontario, Alberta, BC, France), basically what CanOfMDAmp said.

Pay at pump is Still uncommon in London. I think maybe 1 in 5 pumps is pay at pump? It’s not even consistent by chain.

Not many places ask you to take your helmet off. I’ve had one that cut me off after 2L, and the attendant inside told me to take my helmet off next time... Not going back there.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Took on my R1200R for service and new tires, and instead of a old service loaner they let me borrow a new 850GS for the day.

I can’t tell if I like this bike or not. It’s definitely better than the older F800 series bikes. The power curve on the bike feels real broad and confusing, I can’t tell if it wants to be in 3rd or 6th at 55mph. The new TFT screen is really cool and pretty , but seems like it can’t show as many useful things at once. Why do I need to scroll to find the fuel gauge?!

The 850 is in the mid to large size adv/adventure bike class I was considering for my next bike, but I’m not sure it’s going to remain a contender, especially given the cost. Next to test is an Africa Twin, 790 Adventure, vstrom 1000. I should just commit and probably get a used and farkled out 1200GS since it’ll probably do my 90/10% Commute/ADV fantasies the best.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Took on my R1200R for service and new tires, and instead of a old service loaner they let me borrow a new 850GS for the day.

I can’t tell if I like this bike or not. It’s definitely better than the older F800 series bikes. The power curve on the bike feels real broad and confusing, I can’t tell if it wants to be in 3rd or 6th at 55mph. The new TFT screen is really cool and pretty , but seems like it can’t show as many useful things at once. Why do I need to scroll to find the fuel gauge?!

The 850 is in the mid to large size adv/adventure bike class I was considering for my next bike, but I’m not sure it’s going to remain a contender, especially given the cost. Next to test is an Africa Twin, 790 Adventure, vstrom 1000. I should just commit and probably get a used and farkled out 1200GS since it’ll probably do my 90/10% Commute/ADV fantasies the best.

KTM's TFT is inifinitely better than BMW's. I feel like they purposefully designed theirs so sell their lovely GPS units. KTM's will let you get turn by turn directions on it from the KTM app which rules. really wish they would just let you get carplay or android auto on it, but that took until like 2018 for most cars so I expect bikes will get it in 2030 or so :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Horse Clocks posted:

Pay at pump is Still uncommon in London. I think maybe 1 in 5 pumps is pay at pump? It’s not even consistent by chain.

It's the chav lobby putting pressure on the "petrol" industry so they can steal even more bikes.

Big Thief has deep pockets.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
of course Enfield needs "another week" as parts trickle in piecemeal, and I'm still not convinced any of this is going to resolve the problem.

I think I'm going to have to go back for my trailer that I left there next week in any case, because I need it the following weekend to help someone move.

I am tempted to eat a $1000 loss or whatever as a learning experience I shouldn't have needed, and just have the dealership cash me out at whatever they will cash me out on the bike at, and buy an SV400 in the spring like I should have in the first place. We'll see.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

of course Enfield needs "another week" as parts trickle in piecemeal, and I'm still not convinced any of this is going to resolve the problem.

I think I'm going to have to go back for my trailer that I left there next week in any case, because I need it the following weekend to help someone move.

I am tempted to eat a $1000 loss or whatever as a learning experience I shouldn't have needed, and just have the dealership cash me out at whatever they will cash me out on the bike at, and buy an SV400 in the spring like I should have in the first place. We'll see.

Why on earth would you buy an sv400? You were just starting to show signs there isn't something terribly wrong with you, then you go and say something like that.