Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Alan Moore is a great writer and a real jerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Alan Moore? The Wizard?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I could do, with Alan Less!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Allen More doesn't sound like a wrestling writer, sounds like some other writer. We should talk about wrestling writers and fraudcasters in here.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Rob went to the restroom. Saw these incredibly flamboyant shoes. Looks up and sees its Don. Takes the stall right next to him. Starts to try striking up conversation and Don immediately yells gently caress OFF and leaves

lmfao was rob expecting the restroom scene from austin powers to happen

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Edge & Christian posted:

I once peed next to Jeph Loeb and then he left the bathroom without washing his hands and immediately walked onto a dais and shook everyone else on the panel's hands.

irl rear end penny move

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Once at an ROH show my brother was in the bathroom the same time as Grizzly Redwood. He apparently told my brother it was "like prison in here" since the fairgrounds location didn't have doors on the stalls.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Good Listener posted:

Once at an ROH show my brother was in the bathroom the same time as Grizzly Redwood. He apparently told my brother it was "like prison in here" since the fairgrounds location didn't have doors on the stalls.

Was it in Ohio?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Good Listener posted:

it was "like prison in here" since the fairgrounds location didn't have doors on the stalls.

that sounds genuinely unhinged

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Every Watch This! Sandman match I've watched has been incredible. Just laughing my rear end off the entire time

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
Interesting chat between Bryan and Dave about the AEW 18-34 demo drop. I think Dave is overanalyzing and cable is just dying a death.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Has deadlock found the next XWF goldmine? Maybe not, brother.

quote:

In the year 2000 you had WWF, WCW, ECW and WXO Wrestling! Ted DiBiase was the CEO and CFO who wanted to bring back family friendly wrestling! He lets us know there will be no guaranteed contracts, only opportunities in this new era of professional wrestling. No more “prima donnas”, does this sound familiar. The show featured many WCW Saturday Night wrestlers and the unforgettable Scott Nash! It’s crazy that a promotion would start at this time during the Monday Night War but as we find out, WXO Wrestling didn’t last long at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

a dumb moron posted:

Interesting chat between Bryan and Dave about the AEW 18-34 demo drop. I think Dave is overanalyzing and cable is just dying a death.

Yeah, as much as the fedpills talk about it being a sign 'aEw Is DyInG aCtUaLly' the simple reason is that people, especially in said demo, are just getting rid of cable. Now, they're getting rid of it for these big streaming packages that will cost the same but you can't track viewership as easy.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

big streaming packages that will cost the same but you can't track viewership as easy.
eh? streaming packages are infinitely easier to track viewership patterns, and the broadcaster doesn't have to rely on sampling. every single viewer's data is instantly available.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I think they meant "you" as in "some guy on the internet" and not the streamers themselves, who do track viewership but do not really release that data publicly in any sort of non promotional way.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ToiletofSadness posted:

eh? streaming packages are infinitely easier to track viewership patterns, and the broadcaster doesn't have to rely on sampling. every single viewer's data is instantly available.

The data isn't as publicly available is what I assume they meant. So when Raw goes to Netflix or whatever you won't have the demographic number, all you'll get is some weird statistic like 100,000 minutes watched in x days or whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a dumb moron posted:

This also means less people are watching AEW

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

remember the good old days when we laughed at fedheads going all in on cable cutter copium. now look at us.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This also means less people are watching AEW

It also means AEW's relative importance rises as the average place it ranks for the night has consistently risen year-to-year.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karma Tornado posted:

I think they meant "you" as in "some guy on the internet" and not the streamers themselves, who do track viewership but do not really release that data publicly in any sort of non promotional way.

Right. Johnny Q. Vincel can't get a hold of numbers like with the Nielsens.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Pylons posted:

It also means AEW's relative importance rises as the average place it ranks for the night has consistently risen year-to-year.

But QOP told me it would be dead any day now! And if I can't trust QOP who can I trust?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's actually good that aew are losing viewers

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Seemed to work out alright for the fed.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

as long as they don't lose their streak of amazing pape matches and a bunch of great wrestling matches on tv I'm fine with it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Most people have no idea how ratings actually work in any real way and also put way too much stock in ratings. Especially in 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The overall number is holding up good with the Cable drop but while I wouldn't panic that demo drop is something they should worry about. I don't think it's all cord cutting

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

AEW purposefully losing viewers so they can "turn things around" and Dave will rave about how hot they are

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Yeah Dave's overall point was "it's possible the major drop in 18–34 is cable is dying, but that's still not going to help AEW in a contract year."

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

a dumb moron posted:

Yeah Dave's overall point was "it's possible the major drop in 18–34 is cable is dying, but that's still not going to help AEW in a contract year."

That's nonsense.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean it's definitely possible that WBD will gently caress AEW over but it'll be because WBD is a constantly burning dumpster fire in general more than anything else

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

MassRafTer posted:

Was it in Ohio?

Yep it was the Montgomery county fairgrounds in Dayton LOL

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
wouldn't a drop due to cable dying be represented in ratings holding steadyish while the raw number of viewers fell or do i still not understand how ratings work

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wouldn't a drop due to cable dying be represented in ratings holding steadyish while the raw number of viewers fell or do i still not understand how ratings work

No, the rating would continue to fall but the overall ranking would go up. Which it has. Does a lower rating help? No, of course not. But when your rating is higher relatively to the rest of cable it makes you very valuable, as proven by 15 years of Raw increases and WWE's most recent increases, because while their ratings have increased in the last two years, WWE is down more by percentage than AEW is since 2020 when AEW got their extension. If "share" was still an important metric that would be steady (or in AEW's case increasing) since that measured the % of homes watching that night.

On Wednesday AEW was the biggest non sports show on cable, #2 was Gutfeld! at like, .12.

Good Listener posted:

Yep it was the Montgomery county fairgrounds in Dayton LOL

I was pretty sure since I couldn't remember any other Fairgrounds ROH was running back then but I keep hearing stories about doorless bathroom stalls in Ohio so I felt extra confident.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 20, 2024

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

MassRafTer posted:

No, the rating would continue to fall but the overall ranking would go up. Which it has. Does a lower rating help? No, of course not. But when your rating is higher relatively to the rest of cable it makes you very valuable, as proven by 15 years of Raw increases and WWE's most recent increases, because while their ratings have increased in the last two years, WWE is down more by percentage than AEW is since 2020 when AEW got their extension. If "share" was still an important metric that would be steady (or in AEW's case increasing) since that measured the % of homes watching that night.

On Wednesday AEW was the biggest non sports show on cable, #2 was Gutfeld! at like, .12.

I was pretty sure since I couldn't remember any other Fairgrounds ROH was running back then but I keep hearing stories about doorless bathroom stalls in Ohio so I felt extra confident.

What do you suppose is attributing to the 18-34 drop? Do you think it’s just the playoffs?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The show being not as good

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

a dumb moron posted:

What do you suppose is attributing to the 18-34 drop? Do you think it’s just the playoffs?

To answer that question you'd need a lot more information than Dave gave in that segment.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We'll probably know once the NBA/NHL playoffs are over but it's probably a mixture of the playoffs, Cable's decline, AEW being a bit cold on promotion and WWE's continued Malibu Stacy with a new hat rebound

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
in unrelated news: this deadlock sync has made me realize that jawny's stone cold impression is an impression of shark boy's impression of stone cold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPXgzqrdBEs

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

this is me when it comes to understanding what will or wont work

https://x.com/LowercaseJai/status/1791780704021320080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

a dumb moron posted:

I would need to know a lot more about the overall landscape of 18-34 but after looking at this demo in radio for my job I would suspect it's probably not as bad proportionally as it seems in raw numbers.