Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I just ran across Essential Craftsman and I'm enjoying that so far. Super knowledgeable dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rename the forum to Amtrak to reflect how often it derails, tia

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I just ran across Essential Craftsman and I'm enjoying that so far. Super knowledgeable dude.

yeah, that dude frickin rules

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

sharkytm posted:

Obligatory Primitive Technology plug. Turn on closed captioning

Jesus, I've been watching him forever and never tried CC.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Rename the forum to Amtrak to reflect how often it derails, tia

And then charge $60 per post, but you can only post in GBS and QCS.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KozmoNaut posted:

Gotta jump on the Big Clive love train, too. He's just so lovably camp

Well, I mean, he is gay, so a bit of camp is to be expected. :v:

(though this is something I just learned a few minutes ago.. suspected, but didn't discover until I tried to google his background)

:stonk:

Fender Anarchist posted:

Actually I mentioned Wintergatan and his build series on the Marble Machine X is pretty drat cool. It's a whole international engineering project with people working out various designs for all the little mechanisms on the thing, machining plywood parts, doing design iterations, etc. Pretty solid rec on its own.

His channel also has some behind the scenes stuff of the original Marble Machine and that's more in line with the thread topic. The viral vid is pretty well shot and you kinda get lost in the spectacle, but this one (there is a part 2 as well) forms kind of an anti-sizzle reel where you get closeup shots. Very "warts and all" once you get a good look at everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uog48viZUbM

That machine is loving awesome, and everyone I've shown the music video to had their jaws drop. So much work put into that.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Jesus, I've been watching him forever and never tried CC.

Is he one of the people that does "funny captions"?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Post poste posted:

Is he one of the people that does "funny captions"?

Nah, he just explains what he's doing, since dude doesn't talk. The same information can be found in the video description. I prefer trying to figure out what's going on for myself, but CC/video description can be helpful.

Seconding Wintergatan, it's good stuff. It's quite a learning journey for Martin. I'm even starting to like his music.

I've been watching lots of boat building videos for the last year or so.
SV seeker is a dude in Tulsa building a massive steel sailing junk. He uses "origami" for the hull which is a really interesting contrast compared with the methods I'm previously familiar with. Lots and lots of metal work of all kinds. Doug can come off as somewhat overbearing at times, but I really like his style construction-wise.
Samson boat co is an English dude located in the Pacific NW doing a ship of Theseus "restoration" (re-build really) of a wrecked but beautiful old wooden sailing yacht. He's really skilled. Good production values too.
Acorn to Arabella is two New England guys building a large-ish wooden boat from scratch.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Invalido posted:

Acorn to Arabella is two New England guys building a large-ish wooden boat from scratch.

Yeah, I've watched a bit of this and it's interesting. Especially the one where they melt down multiple tons of lead to pour a keel, essentially with whatever they found sitting around.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

He's good. Just an old logger/contractor/blacksmith talking shop, sometimes guest-starring an ancient blacksmith/his mentor.

Hand Tool Rescue is another good one, he restores old tools and rarely talks (started doing tool restoration as a side job, shot video to show himself how the thing he took apart goes back together), but has visual gags on par with This Old Tony.

I still like AvE, maybe because my ex was from Boston area and talks like that. It's obviously an act for AvE, so much that he's spun off the videos with his daughter into their own channel, Chickadee Enginerding.

All three refuse corporate sponsorship and review tools honestly, to the point that when HTR gave AvE one of his repro old-school wrenches to test, AvE bought one to test to destruction and gave the free one to a fan.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Here I am, waiting to see cool hosed up mechanical carnage and you guys keep going on about youtube channels with acronym names I can't figure out.

Ave? Tot? what is all this?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Only somewhat related but I've been watching a lot of Steve1989MREInfo vids lately. I don't even care about MREs but his voice is soothing and I like putting it on in the background while I'm unwinding after work and shitposting on my other computer monitors.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

STR posted:

Well, I mean, he is gay, so a bit of camp is to be expected. :v:

(though this is something I just learned a few minutes ago.. suspected, but didn't discover until I tried to google his background)

Yeah, same. I had an idea he was gay (it is rather obvious), but I didn't bother to confirm it. He's everyone's favorite gay uncle, and I bet a hell of a lot of fun to share some cheap booze with.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Steve1989MREInfo

Nice!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SV Seeker is loving terrifying. He almost kills himself or others with regularity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BloodBag posted:

Here I am, waiting to see cool hosed up mechanical carnage and you guys keep going on about youtube channels with acronym names I can't figure out.

Ave? Tot? what is all this?

AvE is AvE. That's his handle (stands for Arduino versus Evil, apparently): https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil
ToT is This Old Tony. https://www.youtube.com/user/featony

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Darchangel posted:

AvE is AvE. That's his handle (stands for Arduino versus Evil, apparently): https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil
ToT is This Old Tony. https://www.youtube.com/user/featony

AvE is weird because it's mostly Canadian yokelisms interspersed with high level engineering and science knowledge.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

AvE is weird because it's mostly Canadian yokelisms interspersed with high level engineering and science knowledge.

Jeezless, shmoo, son of a diddly, and chowdered are now used on a daily basis, and I have embraced the mantra "you gotta piss with the dick ya got"
I don't say that last one out loud very often, for obvious reasons, but it goes through my head all the time at work

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

Jeezless, shmoo, son of a diddly, and chowdered are now used on a daily basis, and I have embraced the mantra "you gotta piss with the dick ya got"
I don't say that last one out loud very often, for obvious reasons, but it goes through my head all the time at work

"Right dickered" and "chooch" are my favorites.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
"Skookum choocher" is the ultimate BC/Canadian regionalism from AvE.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
He has such the following that several people have taken the time to make a Google Doc listing all the AvE slang and even defined it in dictionary format. See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-_b2m8brkZ3SftLiqO-O-noAJATZixfMfxmTT_kjoEw/edit#heading=h.yagk8f928lzl

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I love Samson Boat as well. He's pretty brilliant and his editing is great.

Another good one is Keith Rucker - VintageMachinery.org Dude has a masters in BioEng/Ag (peanuts) for a career. As a hobby/love he has a massive machine shop at home with some enormous equipment. In addition he also works on steam locomotive repair/restoration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxrdE1tM6g

I'm spoiled by Samson and find it hard to watch Acorn and Sv seeker due to the high insanity/poor editing.

Tom Lipton over at OxTool is fun. He's got his mannerisms, but his day job is a shop machinist at UC Berkley iirc, so the quirkyness fits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdWcZQCnztw

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Invalido posted:

What would anyone say if the premise is two guys that have never built a boat, they have never really even sailed a boat, they have no experience in anything they are doing, they pick up half the tools that are just lying around, they smelt 4 ton of lead in an old compressor container and they started this as they were pretty much just not happy with their lives? Sounds like a recipe for an epic disaster right? Nope - it's beautifully shot, well narrated, full of great info and ideas and shows them learning how the hell they can even do this and work they are doing is really drat good.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

64bit_Dophins posted:

Only somewhat related but I've been watching a lot of Steve1989MREInfo vids lately. I don't even care about MREs but his voice is soothing and I like putting it on in the background while I'm unwinding after work and shitposting on my other computer monitors.

There's also something about watching him eat 70+ year old food. And smoke 70+ year old cigarettes.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

sharkytm posted:

Obligatory Primitive Technology plug. Turn on closed captioning

That too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

n0tqu1tesane posted:

smoke 70+ year old cigarettes.

“Having a lemon party.”

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

stevewm posted:

He has such the following that several people have taken the time to make a Google Doc listing all the AvE slang and even defined it in dictionary format. See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-_b2m8brkZ3SftLiqO-O-noAJATZixfMfxmTT_kjoEw/edit#heading=h.yagk8f928lzl

I really enjoyed "Multitudinous" ... "a real word"

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Franlab is a good channel focused on electronics and other vintage type stuff.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Sorry for the potato photo. Best I can do. This is/was a valve socket from an amplifier the white bits have been pushed through the exploded out part and directly soldered to the pins on the tube. No the amp wasn't working. The world wonders.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Mr Carlson's Lab is an absolute monster when it comes to vintage electronics and anything with a tube. If you ever want to repair an old tube amp (or new one), he really knows what he is doing. He gets pretty repetitive in the videos at times, though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Couldn't find my contactless tester, resorted to using my multimeter to check that I'd turned off the right breaker. Thanks to my shaky hands one of the probes accidentally touched the body of the switch at the same time as the screw.

I had not toggled the right breaker, but it helpfully turned itself off.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Couldn't find my contactless tester, resorted to using my multimeter to check that I'd turned off the right breaker. Thanks to my shaky hands one of the probes accidentally touched the body of the switch at the same time as the screw.

I had not toggled the right breaker, but it helpfully turned itself off.

Most of us (well at least the two of us) have torched our leads doing something similar.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've but yet blued a meter but thanks for the reminder to wear goggles when doing so :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Last time I did that I had the meter in voltage mode but the probes in the wrong sockets.

The end of the leads blew; the fuse didn’t.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I once vaporized a screwdriver...

Was helping a friend install a new clothes dryer. He had managed to wire the cord wrong; forgetting to use the included jumper between the ground and neutral terminals. (for those who don't know, 240v electric clothes dryers in the US are typically sold without cords, you have to install one yourself) Got distracted during the process and somehow we failed to turn the breaker off AND unplug the cord from the wall.

The breaker did flip, but not before half of the screwdriver and one of the hot terminals had completely disappeared.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you can, you should just leave the breaker off until after you plug in the dryer. Better to not have your hands near the smoke show if you really hosed it up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure everyone has a screwdriver with a chunk of metal missing from the shaft.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

xzzy posted:

Pretty sure everyone has a screwdriver with a chunk of metal missing from the shaft.

My screwdrivers are german and rated to a 1000V with insulated shafts. So no.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

xzzy posted:

Yep. Fortunately it was a lovely screwdriver anyway. I now have a set of insulated screwdrivers

https://www.wihatools.com/insulated-slotted-4-5mm-6-5mm-phillips-square-screwdrivers-6-piece-set

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

stevewm posted:

I once vaporized a screwdriver...

Was helping a friend install a new clothes dryer. He had managed to wire the cord wrong; forgetting to use the included jumper between the ground and neutral terminals. (for those who don't know, 240v electric clothes dryers in the US are typically sold without cords, you have to install one yourself) Got distracted during the process and somehow we failed to turn the breaker off AND unplug the cord from the wall.

The breaker did flip, but not before half of the screwdriver and one of the hot terminals had completely disappeared.

You know, this one strikes me as funny because I've ran into too. Move a dryer and well it's a different plug. Old outlet was out of code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

You know, this one strikes me as funny because I've ran into too. Move a dryer and well it's a different plug. Old outlet was out of code.

Yeah... The dryer was designed for the newer plug that does have neutral. But his house has the older style plug. So the jumper was required. I was attempting to install it, until it disappeared with a large flash. I still can't believe we managed to not turn the breaker off or even unplug the drat thing. Dunno WTF we where thinking.