Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

read taocp or buy some textbooks

school sucks gently caress school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress university

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

university is a good place to make friends

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awia posted:

aye, good friends with Jim Beam and Captain Morgan

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

aye, good friends with Jim Beam and Captain Morgan

the only 2 friends you'll ever need

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Awia posted:

:smith:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

university is just as much about networking as it is about learning
perhaps more so

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Awia posted:

perhaps more so

oh, maybe that's why i failed out so many times

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Awia posted:

perhaps more so

oh, maybe i should have bothered talking to anyone when i went then

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
programmers don't get invited to the cool parties :smith:

it doesn't excuse the outsize proportion of them that become bitter and hateful randroids but it does at least partly explain it

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

perhaps the profession that involves interacting solely with a machine you can make you your bidding with minimal interaction required with other humans and is historically for shut-ins attracts a disproportionate amount of people with major empathy problems?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i have exacgtly enough holiday dayhs left to take the entire month of december off

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
stay in school, fool

unless you'd have to borrow a bunch of money to do it in which case eh maybe spread it out a bit

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HoboMan posted:

perhaps the profession that involves interacting solely with a machine you can make you your bidding with minimal interaction required with other humans and is historically for shut-ins attracts a disproportionate amount of people with major empathy problems?

I would like to say that there are a lot of people who struggle with social situations and it's not just because they're bad people who lack empathy.

i am an okay person and I am good at socializing with friends, but short of some sort of pua esque period of self exploration, im never going to be able to network, and i will never be socially comfortable around people i don't know really well.

i know you're totally right in the general case, which is why it's important to point out that you can be a good person AND a shut in

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 5, 2016

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

lol, looks like i am also posting via dragon dictate

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

also please make programming into a profession for uncool losers again tia

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

can you get a masters without a bachelors? because I really want to go to grad school but I don't want to do an entire undergraduate degree

well, you can in france. i applied for masters 2, they did an interview and i wrote a letter of intent and gave them a letter of recommendation from a CS PhD i work with, and they said "ok you're in the 2nd year masters program, hope you can speak enough french to pass"

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i have never heard of this happening ever, at least in the united states. it doesn't really make much sense either, a master's degree is basically just more of what you did in undergrad but at a more advanced level. you're not necessarily doing research unless you're seeking a phd. so it would be like trying to take calc 3 without ever taking calc 1, you won't get much out of it

they decided i knew enough of the undergrad stuff (and 1st year masters stuff) to be able to handle the final year of the masters program. i'm not sure how that's ok, but universite paris-sud is pretty well known in france and they deal with the CNRS frequently so I can only assume it's all good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thats completely unheard of in the US, any questioning will be like
"your highest degree is... "
"masters in CS"
"from?"
"universite paris sud"
"huh?"
"university of paris-sud"
"like, france?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

even the compiler knows its friday:

code:
C:\usr\Boost\include\boost-1_60\boost/type_traits/common_type.hpp(42) : fatal error C1001: An internal error has occurred in the compiler.
(compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1325)
 To work around this problem, try simplifying or changing the program near the locations listed above.
Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++ 
 Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more information
Internal Compiler Error in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\BIN\amd64\cl.exe.  You will be prompted to send an error report to Microsoft later.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
"i can't loving deal with this poo poo"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
boost wonders never cease!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hobbesmaster posted:

thats completely unheard of in the US, any questioning will be like
"your highest degree is... "
"masters in CS"
"from?"
"universite paris sud"
"huh?"
"university of paris-sud"
"like, france?"

well i mean that's gonna happen with my work history now too

"centre national de what?"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Condiv posted:

they decided i knew enough of the undergrad stuff (and 1st year masters stuff) to be able to handle the final year of the masters program. i'm not sure how that's ok, but universite paris-sud is pretty well known in france and they deal with the CNRS frequently so I can only assume it's all good.

the smartest dude in my year at uni did his phd + postdoc in pure maths at orsay (paris-sud)

i checked up on him, he now works at a parisian startup with eight people that, quote from the founder, 'expects to reach profitability around 2018'

it was founded in 2011

european startups, ladies and gentlemen

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
does startup just mean "a small company", because i object to calling a 5-year-old company a startup

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Wheany posted:

does startup just mean "a small company", because i object to calling a 5-year-old company a startup

in the computer world, yeah

you're a startup until you go public or get purchased
source: worked at a 10 year old startup

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wheany posted:

you're a startup until you're net revenue positive

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hobbesmaster posted:

you're a startup until you're net revenue positive

not even then

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ErIog posted:

Your masters program didn't require a bachelors?

I have a four year masters with no bachelors, what's kind of odd is that if you fail the final year master work you don't get to walk away with a bachelors.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you're a startup when your business model is entirely dependent on an exit event

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

you're a startup when your business model is entirely dependent on an exit event

OR:

*your company is primarily focused on revolutionizing the workplace through the real hot take of deconstructing and then perfectly reinventing completely ordinary organizational and management structures

*a coworker has a title like 'empathy engineer'

*company wide retreats

*earnest nodejs, mongodb use

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MrMoo posted:

I have a four year masters with no bachelors, what's kind of odd is that if you fail the final year master work you don't get to walk away with a bachelors.

you mean an MSci?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

NihilCredo posted:

the smartest dude in my year at uni did his phd + postdoc in pure maths at orsay (paris-sud)

i checked up on him, he now works at a parisian startup with eight people that, quote from the founder, 'expects to reach profitability around 2018'

it was founded in 2011

european startups, ladies and gentlemen

that's where i currently live. i also got some recruitment offers from parisian startups, but i'm happy working in research

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so loving future posted:

*company wide retreats

*earnest nosql use

we got these, but i don't work at a software company and afaik we are profitable and actually do things

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Compared to professions like ad designer, pharma lobbyist, weapons manufacturer, investment banker, I'd say programming is pretty far down the list of professions with a lot of lovely people in it.

There isn't even anything intrinsically societally harmful about touching computers, despite what the puddle of self-loathing that is half of yospos might proclaim. Well, I suppose the adtech driven rise of the database state is rather worrying. But you don't have to apologize for the actions of people who happen to do a somewhat similar job to you.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

so loving future posted:

OR:

*your company is primarily focused on revolutionizing the workplace through the real hot take of deconstructing and then perfectly reinventing completely ordinary organizational and management structures

*a coworker has a title like 'empathy engineer'

*company wide retreats

*earnest nodejs, mongodb use

does having a growth hacker count?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

Compared to professions like ad designer, pharma lobbyist, weapons manufacturer, investment banker, I'd say programming is pretty far down the list of professions with a lot of lovely people in it.

There isn't even anything intrinsically societally harmful about touching computers, despite what the puddle of self-loathing that is half of yospos might proclaim. Well, I suppose the adtech driven rise of the database state is rather worrying. But you don't have to apologize for the actions of people who happen to do a somewhat similar job to you.

i agree with this post

i always assumed randroids and the like mostly just don't understand how people actually work, and live in a fantasy land where hard work and being smart is always rewarded rather than them actually holding malice or indifference to others. which is not really empathy problems but i can't think of a better way to put it

those other professions you mentioned are deffo requiring sociopathic tendencies tho

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also open source relies on concepts like 'the greater good' and so on. i mean there are a lot of terrible open source fanatics but open source as a thing is pretty dang cool.

i dont think anyone contributes to open source for purely selfless reasons, but even so, it still inherently subverts the foundation of capitalism: that money and competition are the only way to drive innovation. clearly, people are very driven to innovate for no reason other than it feels good to create things.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah the number of libertarian open source fanatics (esr, most people working on bsd) always struck me as a lil weird

I would expect to see a lot more people with rms politics but his viewpoint is a stark minority

Modern open source seems to be largely driven by the raging torrent of stupid rich people money coursing through the sector right now. Making open source boosts ego and career prospects despite not generating much value for the person financing it, but the people financing it just throw money at everything software related these days so i guess startup people dick off making oss on account of nobody reigning them in.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah the number of libertarian open source fanatics (esr, most people working on bsd) always struck me as a lil weird
Eh, makes sense to me. Of course somebody obsessed with personal freedom would go into free software. "You can't tell me what to do with my own software, Bill Gates!" or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Modern open source seems to be largely driven by the raging torrent of stupid rich people money coursing through the sector right now. Making open source boosts ego and career prospects despite not generating much value for the person financing it, but the people financing it just throw money at everything software related these days so i guess startup people dick off making oss on account of nobody reigning them in.

lol wat

• Locked thread