Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Having recently played it, I remember all this because it bugged me too: Briggs' one non-lethal way to take down enemies is his melee attack and you have to kill or knock out all the guys to move on in the first segment; there are two guys that face each other forever after their short conversation so you basically cannot perfect stealth it. The first person parts are hella stupid and I really don't know why they thought it would add anything.

On the other hand I did like how Briggs was the one you controlled in situations where non-lethal methods simply weren't viable (UAV strikes, etc). Killing with Briggs had zero effect on the non-lethal achievements for Fisher as well which was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

RBA Starblade posted:

Why does every game on Steam now at launch tell me to "turn on" with page up and f11? I can't find anything about it online; everything I find is just as confused and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Did you get drunk and re-bind steam overlay keybind?

edit: steam->settings->in-game->overlay shortcut keys

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ragequit posted:

Watching Kragger play Dying Light through Steam Stream, and it looks great. From personal experience, a wrench can bash in way more than 10 heads before breaking though. My immersion!

Agreed, I was watching a goon trio for a few hours this morning and it looked like a blast. I like how in multiplayer you can turn anything into a challenge for bonus XP. Doing a story quest? Race to the objective location! Killing zombies? See who can kill the most! Looting stores? Loot more than your buddies!

Watching them gang up and curbstomp some poor scavenger was pretty hilarious too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
VVVVVV is a neat game with a great soundtrack, but I reached the end and went back to pick up a couple of the shiny trinkets I missed and while I can see the general form of what I'm supposed to do gently caress actually trying to pull it off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mr. nobody posted:

Did you get drunk and re-bind steam overlay keybind?

edit: steam->settings->in-game->overlay shortcut keys

Turns out it's Raptr and it's twitch stream function, which my most recent driver update decided really needed to be installed along with it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Ragequit posted:

Watching Kragger play Dying Light through Steam Stream, and it looks great. From personal experience, a wrench can bash in way more than 10 heads before breaking though. My immersion!

Yeah, I didn't give a poo poo about it at all, but I watched the quicklook on GB today and it actually looks really good. I'll probably grab it whenever it goes on sale.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Well, that what most "professional" review excerpts boil down to anyway.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I know that he's a mega star and all that poo poo but Pewds will enjoy anything moderately fun put in front of him that he can squeal about.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Testekill posted:

I know that he's a mega star and all that poo poo but Pewds will enjoy anything moderately fun put in front of him that he can squeal about.
Why pay game journalists when you can get quotes like that for free

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

VVVVVV is a neat game with a great soundtrack, but I reached the end and went back to pick up a couple of the shiny trinkets I missed and while I can see the general form of what I'm supposed to do gently caress actually trying to pull it off.

Veni Vidi Vici?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Paracelsus posted:

Easy mode unlocked!

edit: Haha dammit beat by a full half-hour, that's what I get for not refreshing. That one is a bastard, I hope it's the one you're talking about :allears:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/327310/?snr=1_1050_1051__1050

How have I not heard about this game before? Seems to be really fun.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Azran posted:

It's pretty good, it's a very casual take on the stealth genre but it's a fun little title.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Azran posted:

Half price on the Humble store at the moment.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

On the other hand I did like how Briggs was the one you controlled in situations where non-lethal methods simply weren't viable (UAV strikes, etc). Killing with Briggs had zero effect on the non-lethal achievements for Fisher as well which was neat.

In the game story it feels like it should have been the other way around though. Like another poster said, Sam is a sociopath in Blacklist and Briggs is more level headed, yet the segments you play as Briggs are mostly lethal only while Sam has the choice of lethal or non-lethal.

I dunno. I feel as though Briggs should have been the protagonist of Blacklist from the start and Sam take on a mentor role and basically becomes the game's Lambert.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I get the feeling that it was supposed to be that way initially, since Briggs is the designated co-op partner and can do everything Sam can when you're running around with him. As you go later on into the series, Sam has gotten far more violent over the years and I don't know if they're intentionally making him a sociopath or if it's just bad writing. But either way, Briggs in a lot of ways basically functions as old-school Sam: He wants to do what's right but also has to do what he's told and is willing to do, y'know, whatever to get it done, unconstrained by petty morality. It's just that operating under new Sam (as in, from Conviction onward where his bloodlust has turned him into a god of generic thug death), he's probably going to end up the same way. Briggs does not threaten the president in Blacklist like Sam does but if they make a Splinter Cell game where he is the protagonist I bet he probably will just because he is around Blacklist Sam so much.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Azran posted:

It is, but it's also rather dissimilar to most stealth games. It's a lot more fast-paced and almost twitch:y at times. It's often more about speed and efficiency, and definitely thinking on the run, than about complete non-detection (in fact, one of the first lessons the game throw at you is that being seen is a crucial part of your arsenal).

While it might not be quite as refined and precise as Mark of the Ninja, it definitely takes a leaf out of the MotN book in terms of being absolutely clear about the game state. You have perfect information, and it is up to you to make good snap decisions based on that information. So even though it's a lot more random — no fixed patrol patterns, for instance — it never feels unfair because you can always look back and think “yeah, I saw that coming…”. The lower precision is unfortunately somewhat due to the upbeat design of the game: everything is colourful and bright, which means it can't rely on the same kind of contrast cues that MotN used to great effect. It's a very minor and nit-picky mark against the game though though.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rage McDougal posted:

Veni Vidi Vici?

I couldn't even be mad while attempting that one, because the music in that area is so kickin' rad.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Azran posted:

Looks a lot like Monaco.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know what the hell is with card drop rates but I've been idling hundreds of games with no foil drop whatsoever and now when I'm on the last 10 titles every game started dropping at least 1 foil (one dropped 2). What sick game are you playing Gabe?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've had my Steam account for, like, half a year, and I do not get the card thing at all. I'll play a game, get four cards, and it'll be like WELP THAT'S ALL YOU GET, and I'll be damned if I'm actually paying real money for them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've had my Steam account for, like, half a year, and I do not get the card thing at all. I'll play a game, get four cards, and it'll be like WELP THAT'S ALL YOU GET, and I'll be damned if I'm actually paying real money for them.

You get drops equal to half the cards needed for the badge, rounded up (so a 7-card badge gives 4 drops). You are expected to trade or buy the rest of your way to the badge if you want it. This is by design.

(Or just sell all the cards and use it as a pseudo-coupon for buying games)

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

All you need to understand is that other people will, and you can use that fact to make money (well, Steambux, but what else are you going to spend money on if not more games?).

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

I keep hoping that someone's going to slap stats on them and make a proper Steam Card Game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The "goal" of trading for cards is that you assemble badges with them by trading away your duplicates via selling them on the market, and then using those funds to purchase the ones you need. This nets Valve maybe 5 cents in a whole transaction but keep in mind that it happens hundreds of thousands of times a day which gets them mad profit. If you don't care about badges (you absolutely shouldn't) or chat emoticons (you definitely shouldn't) or profile customization tied to your Steam level (oh you know you shouldn't), you get basically free steambux from cards to spend on games.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 28, 2015

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I unironically care a lot about my Steam profile and badges.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Eruonen posted:

I am really curious as to why someone would unironically care about those. Not trying to be a dick, honest.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I don't care much for badges or steam levels. The worst I've done is spend 3 bucks on LYNE for some letter icon achievements...but apparently it got someone really upset. :laugh:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

HardDisk posted:

I am really curious as to why someone would unironically care about those. Not trying to be a dick, honest.

It's not the most important thing in my life or anything, I just enjoy messing around with my steam profile and seeing other people's cool profiles. Steam badges help me get there. Also trading cards was fun until they made you verify each trade with emails which is just tedious.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

HardDisk posted:

It's fun to make your number go up, and then it's bigger than other people's number, which is good.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Let me know when this comes out of Early Access.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Bad Rats 2 is coming along nicely I see.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This but with cum

edit: I bet there really are people that get boners about their Steam level. You find all kinds of people on the internet.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Every ten levels increases your booster pack drop rate. Blurblebulululblure.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Freak Futanari posted:

It's fun to make your number go up, and then it's bigger than other people's number, which is good.

life.txt

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Eruonen posted:

Xbox gamerscore I kind of got. So long as your friends weren't cheesing it buying kids games for quick points, your score gave you a rough idea of how much someone played. Or like when a friend who had 100x as much gamerscore as me because he was a poopsock got mad because he noticed I'd maxed out Mass Effect and he hadn't. There was a vague correlation to actually playing and enjoying games and comparing e-penii.

Steam isn't even that. Steam badges are a Zynga game with a stock market.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Speaking of sneaking games, has anyone tried Invisible, Inc?

I know it's :burger: early access :burger: but it looks fun and interesting and the updates seem to be pretty regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapato
May 31, 2005
:)
I didn't see anything in the sticked posts so i'll say it here. If i'm wrong in posting this please tell me, and ill delete ASAP.

I really want to play Life is Feudal - Your Own but don't have the money to do it just yet. What I can offer however is an account that I can add you rear end a guest with about 330 more or less. Lots of indies on it.We can set up times where we can play each others games and this doesn't have to be final. Thanks in advance.

http://www.mysteamgauge.com/account?username=moco64

Sapato fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 28, 2015

• Locked thread